TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
nrnoble

Do Hulu Plus subscribers actually have less commercials?

The claim is that Hulu Plus subscribers watch less commercials, but it that really true. And if there are less commercials, how much less?

I'm a bit skeptical when Hulu marketing info states that paying subscribers help keep costs down. The reality for all advertising business models is to maximize profits through advertising. If Hulu has companies buying ad time for for TV series XXX, I can't see them turning down money because they have a policy of only couple minutes (or whatever) of ads for paying subscribers. I would suspect that if they could match the networks with 18-19 minutes of of ads per hour, Hulu would do it.
Tivo user since 1999.
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

no.

you have the added pleasure of paying extra for commercials when you subscribe to hulu+!

before my comments generate angst, let me add that my opinion is not based on scientific or measurable data, only my horrid two failed attempts to subscribe and enjoy programming using hulu+.

there were frequent unpleasant glitches, like never ending commercial loops halfway through episodes that prevent finishing the show, repeat airings of the same commercial over, and over, and over again, ad nauseum, and little effort on the part of hulu+ to support the product.

my opinion is completely biased.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace

Last edited by NorthAlabama : 04-22-2013 at 09:49 AM. Reason: added comments
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
jrtroo
User

While there may be less adds, they are more annoying as you cannot fast forward through them. In addition, if you drop out of a show and then resume, it will force an initial add on you all over again.

No Hulu+ for me. Much prefer the netflix model, and there is plenty of content to skip the annoyances of Hulu.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
allan
I survived the Mayan

Never tried Hulu+, but I found free Hulu to be not worth the price! Even with fewer commercials, they seem very annoying, and I don't trust them not to increase the number of ads. If I'm going to pay, I don't want ads, especially unskippable ones.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
atmuscarella

I have used both (Hulu & Hulu+), for shows that are on both I don't think there are any less adds on Hulu+ versus Hulu. However there are some shows/movies on Hulu+ only and the movies do seem to have less commercials (have seen a few without commercials). I also have not found much use for Hulu+ but do use Hulu (via a HTPC attached to my home theater setup) and do find it useful at times.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
Scyber
Former ReplayTV User

I've figured out a way to skip commercials in hulu plus. It has worked 100% of the times I've tried, but it is a bit of an annoying process (button combination to stop the stream and then restart) that I'd rather just watch the short Hulu+ commercials and not have to touch the remote. But I was so spoiled by Commercial Advance that any time I have to touch a remote to skip commercials I get annoyed.
Scyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #7
rayik

We have Hulu+ because of: HD and larger back catalogue of shows we watch. To me, HD is necessary on a large screen. (We also watch it using a Roku rather than Tivo due to the bad Hulu Tivo app)
rayik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Ad breaks on Hulu are shorter than the corresponding ad break on TV. Where TV breaks may have four or more ads (2 minutes or longer in duration) ad breaks on Hulu are usually one or two ads (30-60 seconds).

It's not as nice as being able to skip the ad on a DVR but if I had recorded the show I would not be watching on Hulu+.

My TiVo tends to skip over Hulu+ ads on its own. I watch The Daily Show on Hulu+ because I only have limited basic cable. 80% of the time the show goes to an ad break and then the show resumes after 4 or 5 seconds without showing an ad. Neither my Blu-Ray player nor my Roku exhibit this behavior.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #9
jhilla

I would prefer HULUPLUS ads over normal TV ads any day. Depending on the show you pick that max ad you might see if 2 or 3. Normally we see about 2. If you load a movie then none. The ads are remarkably small and short in comparison to TV ads that seems to be forever! If broadcast and cable want to survive they need to take a close look at how Hulu does business and mirror that design. This way a subscriber is not so quick to hit FF. Hulu is even making a change that many of the kids programing ads have been eliminated. Also if you have not taken advantage of this offer, just fill in the form to take Hulu for a 6month trial. We finished our trial last Christmas and have been more than happy to pay the $7.99 a month. It's worth it, but don't take my word for it see for yourself and then you be the judge. That is unless you prefer the standard 2 week trial.

http://www3.tivo.com/promo/hulupluso...ode/index.html
jhilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
rfryar
My Media, My Way

I used PlayOn through PyTivo to prefetch my shows from Hulu, Hulu+ as well as Redbox instant. That allows me to skip past the commercials.

I think the commercial loop is a Hulu problem. I see it on my Roku, Tivo, Android native app as well. However I do not encounter it with my PC streaming the show to PlayOn.

Sorry do not mean to be a "fanboy" of that solution but it has worked very well for my uses.

Rick
rfryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #11
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
However there are some shows/movies on Hulu+ only and the movies do seem to have less commercials (have seen a few without commercials).
Less (actually, it's fewer) than what?
Old 04-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #12
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Less (actually, it's fewer) than what?
less commercials than Hulu.

Amazing as this might sound some of us actually try to help the person posting a question by trying to answer it.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 04-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #13
SeaFractor

I got sick and tired, yes truely tired, of seeing "Web Only" for many of the new shows and other content I was interested in.

If I watch exclusively on my PC, I get the exact number of adds and I stopped paying for Hulu+.

So "Free" Hulu and "pay" Hulu+ deffinetely have the same number of commercials. You are simply paying for the benefit of using a non-PC appliance for access. That benefit also only extends to content Hulu had received streaming rights to other than just PC. The number of "Web Only" notices are due to content that had not been renegotiated or was too expense for the full meal-deal versus "Web ONly".

Last edited by SeaFractor : 04-22-2013 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Clarity
SeaFractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #14
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:

Amazing as this might sound some of us actually try to help the person posting a question by trying to answer it.
But if they are only on Hulu+ as you stated, you can't compare the commercial time to Hulu.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #15
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaFractor View Post
I

So "Free" Hulu and "pay" Hulu+ deffinetely have the same number of commercials. You are simply paying for the benefit of using a non-PC appliance for access.
and content that isn't available via free Hulu
Old 04-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #16
atmuscarella

Quote:
But if they are only on Hulu+ as you stated, you can't compare the commercial time to Hulu.
To some extent that is true as Hulu does appear to very the number and duration of commercials depending on the show. But in general I thought the Hulu+ only shows tended to have less minutes of commercials than the Hulu only shows or shows that were available on both. Of course I do not use Hulu that much and only turn on Hulu+ now and then so my observation is based on a very limited number of shows.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 04-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #17
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:

Fewer

I'm sorry that you are so offended over my using the correct word.
It was a simple correction meant to help you and the others that were misusing the word less. Some people can graciously accept help.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #18
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
To some extent that is true as Hulu does appear to very the number and duration of commercials depending on the show. But in general I thought the Hulu+ only shows tended to have less minutes of commercials than the Hulu only shows or shows that were available on both. Of course I do not use Hulu that much and only turn on Hulu+ now and then so my observation is based on a very limited number of shows.
No, it's 100% true. When the question is about the number of commercials on plus vs free Hulu, you can not say something that is only on plus has fewer commercials because there is nothing to compare it to.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #19
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrnoble View Post
The claim is that Hulu Plus subscribers watch less commercials, but it that really true. And if there are less commercials, how much less?

I'm a bit skeptical when Hulu marketing info states that paying subscribers help keep costs down. The reality for all advertising business models is to maximize profits through advertising. If Hulu has companies buying ad time for for TV series XXX, I can't see them turning down money because they have a policy of only couple minutes (or whatever) of ads for paying subscribers. I would suspect that if they could match the networks with 18-19 minutes of of ads per hour, Hulu would do it.
While there are less commercials during a Hulu program. Something like 3 minutes to 7 minutes of commercials for an hour long show. It is much less than the 22 minutes of commercials per hour for a broadcast show.

I actually watch more commercials with Hulu+ than I do from a broadcast recording since I skip over them with my TiVo. WIth Hulu+, many of the commercials are 15 seconds to 30 seconds so I don't mind watching them. But when they are 1 minute long, that is too long. But even still I am more likely to watch those minute long commercials than commercials from a recording made with my TiVo.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #20
SeaFractor

Quote:
and content that isn't available via free Hulu
It's possible that I didn't use Hulu+ to it's fullest extent then. All the shows that I like to watch, including the latest episodes from the primary carriers, are available on Hulu.

I don't dispute that there could be some content no longer available to me, but I suspect that's the Hulu generated content and some of the movies recently added.
SeaFractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #21
swinca
Menace to society

The commercials on Hulu plus really annoy me. I complain about them but I don't cancel. Now that All My Children is about to debut I will probably keep it.

xbox gamertag: swinca
swinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #22
atmuscarella

Quote:
No, it's 100% true. When the question is about the number of commercials on plus vs free Hulu, you can not say something that is only on plus has fewer commercials because there is nothing to compare it to.
Sure there is, it becomes a relative/overall comparison instead of one about a certain show (and by the way I believe Hulu changes the number/amount of commercials over time even for the same show). Just like I certainly can say the amount of commercials played during an show on Hulu+ is less than the amount of commercials played during the same length show on any of the OTA commercial networks.

Of course if someone wants to know if for the same show at the same moment in time if the number and length of commercials is the same while playing the show through a Hulu+ account as it is while playing it through a Hulu account, well then I can not answer that as I have never tested it out and I am guessing very few people have.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 04-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #23
marrone
Phased Member

How much more content is available on Hulu+ vs free Hulu? Is it merely longer archive of old episodes, or is there much more?

I am currently using Hulu on a Media PC that I bought connected via HDMI to my 55" TV. Someone mentioned HD isn't on the free Hulu, but I was able to watch Celebrity Apprentice last week in HD.

What does it offer? I haven't been able to figure that out yet with all the marketing hype.

Thanks
-Mike
Old 04-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #24
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

As long as Hulu has it so you get the same 90 second block of commercials when you do a jump back I'll avoid as much as possible. I can't imagine a better form of customer prevention.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #25
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrone View Post
How much more content is available on Hulu+ vs free Hulu? Is it merely longer archive of old episodes, or is there much more?

I am currently using Hulu on a Media PC that I bought connected via HDMI to my 55" TV. Someone mentioned HD isn't on the free Hulu, but I was able to watch Celebrity Apprentice last week in HD.

What does it offer? I haven't been able to figure that out yet with all the marketing hype.

Thanks
-Mike
When you access Hulu on a PC via a web browser you can see all the content. If the content is Hulu+ only it simple will not play and you will see a notice that a Hulu+ account is required to view it. I do not believe anything streamed through Hulu is actually in HD - the best I can select is High quality which is not HD. When/If you are a Hulu+ member you can specifically select HD for shows that have an HD stream available.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 04-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #26
mr.unnatural

This thread echoes one of the many reasons why I don't use streaming services. If services like Hulu+ didn't charge me for their service and then force me to watch commercials I might consider using them. The fact that I can't skip past the commercials takes them out of consideration for any type of service I'd be willing to pay for.

I can get any show I want without being subjected to commercials. If I don't have a channel as part of my FIOS Xtreme HD package (or whatever they're calling it these days) I can find programs elsewhere in HD with AC-3 soundtracks and no commercials. In fact, I can usually get a new show downloaded to my PC in less than 15 minutes.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #27
mattack

So you're arguing for breaking the law.. great
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #28
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
As long as Hulu has it so you get the same 90 second block of commercials when you do a jump back I'll avoid as much as possible. I can't imagine a better form of customer prevention.
Can't say that i've noticed that on Hulu+. IME you can skip forward over the previously-viewed ad blocks. No?
Old 04-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #29
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
So you're arguing for breaking the law.. great
No. I'm not recommending that anyone break the law to obtain TV programming. I'm just stating the obvious that it's out there with no commercials and no fees. I have no problem with Hulu+ or any other internet service charging for TV programming. I do have a problem with them forcing me to watch commercials on top of it.

If they provided the shows commercial-free then it would be a worthwhile service. If they want to keep the commercials intact then we should be able to view the programs for free. Otherwise, they're double-dipping and collecting fees from both the subscribers and the advertisors. It's corporate greed at it's highest. What really ticks me off is that the programming is mostly available for free via OTA and is easily recorded with the ability to skip past commercials. I refuse to pay for any service that holds me hostage during a commercial break.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #30
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

I remember in the 80s having the same thoughts about USA Network - how can it be a cable network and have ads? Aren't I already paying a fee to the cable company to watch it?

Then I realized that their profit model included subscription revenue plus advertising revenue. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.