TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
Q5485

Got a TiVo series 2 from goodwill

Hi there
I got a TiVo series 2 that I have not activated. I would like to use it as a DVR if possible. I do get broadcast channels using my Ty's built in tuner. Is it possible to use the brand new TiVo as a DVr? I can hack into th TiVo if need be.
Thanks so much.
Kash
Q5485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Tivo IS a DVR.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Q5485

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Tivo IS a DVR.
That is NOT true, if you do NOT activate the TIVO service. If you know of a way to use an unactivated TIVO as a DVR, please do let me know.
BTW, it is a dual tuner Tivo series 2.
Thanks
Q5485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Using an unactivated Tivo as a DVR is called theft of service and there is no way to do it.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 04-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
bshrock

Digital Video Recorder Won't most TiVo's still record by time and date when not activated or does it just become a DVP?
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
replaytv
Lunatic Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q5485 View Post
Hi there
I got a TiVo series 2 that I have not activated. I would like to use it as a DVR if possible. I do get broadcast channels using my Ty's built in tuner. Is it possible to use the brand new TiVo as a DVr? I can hack into th TiVo if need be.
Thanks so much.
Kash
My advice is don't bother with it, as it is not HD and it is too much trouble and you have too little in the way of features and access to all the channels with a Series 2 dual tuner box. Just buy a Toshiba or Pioneer Series 2 with basic free TiVo service for $40 bucks or less on ebay and then you get the program guide if you don't mind a standard definition recorder. Or better yet, buy a lifetime service Series 3 or 4 with digital antenna tuner and not have to bother with all the boxes and paying a monthly fee.

But if you insist on using your Goodwill Tivo, be aware that Series 2 Tivos do not have digital tuners in them so no good for broadcast antenna TV without another box. The dual tuner Series 2 are not designed for broadcast TV but can be used if they don't have the newest software, are already set up for DishTv box, and still have a open account, or if they lifetime service. You have to get a DTV pal digital converter box and IR cables to control it so the Tivo can control the converter box. It just happens that the DTV Pal converter box uses the same IR codes at the satellite boxes, so that is why TiVo can control the converter box.
Technically when using a Tivo you are agreeing to only use the box by paying for service either with lifetime or a monthly cost. So you are breaking the law using it without paying for service.

Last edited by replaytv : 04-22-2013 at 11:55 AM.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:44 AM   #7
zgamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
My advice is don't bother with it, as it is not HD and it is too much trouble and you have too little in the way of features and access to all the channels with a Series 2 dual tuner box. Just buy a Toshiba or Pioneer Series 2 with basic free TiVo service for $40 bucks or less on ebay and then you get the program guide if you don't mind a standard definition recorder. Or better yet, buy a lifetime service Series 3 or 4 with digital antenna tuner and not have to bother with all the boxes and paying a monthly fee.

But if you insist on using your Goodwill Tivo, be aware that Series 2 Tivos do not have digital tuners in them so no good for broadcast antenna TV without another box. The dual tuner Series 2 are not designed for broadcast TV but can be used if they don't have the newest software, are already set up for DishTv box, and still have a open account, or if they lifetime service. You have to get a DTV pal digital converter box and IR cables to control it so the Tivo can control the converter box. It just happens that the DTV Pal converter box uses the same IR codes at the satellite boxes, so that is why TiVo can control the converter box.
Technically when using a Tivo you are agreeing to only use the box by paying for service either with lifetime or a monthly cost. So you are breaking the law using it without paying for service.
Beyond the above mentioned, you could reset the device to defaults and run for the few weeks or a month between resets. Otherwise it can act as a 30-minute buffer for live tv. Beyond that it's a paperweight or a donor unit for someone will service and a dead PSU.
zgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
mr.unnatural

There's a reason someone donated it to Goodwill.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
sdsvtdriver

I acquired 4 Tivo S2's with (assumed) bad hard drives. One has lifetime. I imagine these are pretty worthless and plan to donate or electronics recycle. Any reason I should not? Series 2 was before my time with Tivos, so I know nothing about them short of they're old and not HD.
sdsvtdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsvtdriver View Post
I acquired 4 Tivo S2's with (assumed) bad hard drives. One has lifetime. I imagine these are pretty worthless and plan to donate or electronics recycle. Any reason I should not? Series 2 was before my time with Tivos, so I know nothing about them short of they're old and not HD.
If the lifetimed one is a dual tuner model, let's talk.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:43 PM   #11
sdsvtdriver

it is a TCD-140060 and Google tells me it isn't dual tuner.
sdsvtdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:30 AM   #12
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
The only series 2 that is a dual tuner is TCD649080. Even the dual tuner becomes a single tuner when there is no more analog channels left to receive and can only use the cable box.

They are not HD nor digital, only analog.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 08-31-2013, 12:54 AM   #13
replaytv
Lunatic Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
There's a reason someone donated it to Goodwill.

I have bought quite a few lifetime TiVos from the thrift stores. I imagine most people donate them because they are going HD or because they don't know what they are.

I have two TiVos that I that don't have lifetime that I use as converter boxes and 1/2 hour time shifters for my old TV in the garage and other areas. They don't tell me what is on, and I can't record on them, but I like them better than converter boxes because of the pause and other time shifting features. I don't have any HD TVs.

It is a shame that someone hasn't taken the program guide that comes free on the digital stations and somehow made it so it can be seen on TiVos without service.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:11 AM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
The only series 2 that is a dual tuner is TCD649080. Even the dual tuner becomes a single tuner when there is no more analog channels left to receive and can only use the cable box.

They are not HD nor digital, only analog.
The S2 DT was available under two different model numbers, depending on hard drive size, the 649080 and the 649180 (80GB versus 160GB).

Old 08-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #15
unitron

Quote:
As I understand it, you can use a 240 truncated image as well as a 140 truncated image if you need to replace the hard drive, but you cannot use a 130 or 230 image with the '40s.

Something to keep in mind as you contemplate keeping that lifetimed unit for two reasons.

1. Hook it up to an older TV somewhere (kitchen, shop, spare bedroom, etc, along with a WiFi adapter (check TiVo's compatibility list if not using the TiVo G adapter) and copy SD shows from other TiVos in the house (or a PC to which you've already copied those shows).

Or if near a router, you can use a USB-Ethernet adapter (again, check compatibility list) and connect to network non-wirelessly.

2. Having it on your account and connecting to the TiVo servers every so often means you always have an anchor unit to enable getting the Multi-Set Discount (assuming this unit was lifetimed at whatever was the full price back then, and didn't get its own MSD discount).

I don't know if you can use it with a "box" to get OTA digital channels or not.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:51 PM   #16
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Looking at GoodWill is a good way to get Tivo images. Afterwards, if you do not need them for parts, or use them, just give them back to GoodWill. Not too much spent on them.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 09-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #17
replaytv
Lunatic Fringe

Craigslist can be a great way to get a deal on a Tivo. A Premiere XL with LIfetime went for $300 here in Denver which eBay shows in completed listings to sell for over $700, and Premieres and other newer TiVos are now showing up at my local thrift stores.