TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
sieglinde

Breaking news and network TV

I get most of my news from MSNBC, CNN and even Fox News. (TV sources). I wonder if in the future networks will even bother interrupting regular TV since many people do not watch live TV for regular shows. I flip to a 24 hour channel for stories such as the Boson incident and even scheduled events such as Presidential addresses. For really breaking stories I use Internet sources.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
Mikeyis4dcats

because a LOT of people don't have cable.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats View Post
because a LOT of people don't have cable.
But they do have Facebook. Google, Smartphone apps etc.

I found out about the Boston bombing from my a smart phone app alert. I then streamed one of the local news stations. My TV had very little involvement during the entire week long ordeal.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Even if people have cable, they might not be watching a cable channel news network at the time the news breaks. And not everyone is still glued to Facebook, Twitter, etc. 24/7.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:18 AM   #5
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Pretty sure the broadcast nets still get much bigger ratings than cable nets during coverage of major news events.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
Pretty sure the broadcast nets still get much bigger ratings than cable nets during coverage of major news events.
Why do they need to? Is anyone even making any money? For the most part, it's done with no commercials.

For the Boston event, I watched local news (online) because they had better coverage since it was happening locally for me. For a non-local event, I would watch cable (again, online) because I think it would be better coverage. Usually, the broadcast network will simply air a cable news stream anyway.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Why do they need to? Is anyone even making any money? For the most part, it's done with no commercials.

For the Boston event, I watched local news (online) because they had better coverage since it was happening locally for me. For a non-local event, I would watch cable (again, online) because I think it would be better coverage. Usually, the broadcast network will simply air a cable news stream anyway.
I don't think you understand how tv works.

And I've NEVER seen a broadcast network "simply air a cable news stream". That would be like McDonalds serving you a Whopper.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
And I've NEVER seen a broadcast network "simply air a cable news stream".
During "off hours," special reports airing on the NBC broadcast network usually do originate from MSNBC -- for example, early last Friday morning, that was the case with the special report on the Watertown shooting that aired on NBC from 3:15-4:00 Eastern/12:15-1:00 Pacific.

Although you're right that it's not simply airing the cable news stream -- they do interrupt the coverage on MSNBC to run the "NBC Special Report" countdown for the benefit of people watching the broadcast network, and NBC puts their own peacock logo in the lower left.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
And I've NEVER seen a broadcast network "simply air a cable news stream". That would be like McDonalds serving you a Whopper.
Quite true, since after the initial flurry of videos of the blast, the various news outlets settled down into coverage of their own reporters trying to interview people, or their reporters doing on camera recaps of the events.

Why would a broadcast news organization want to air video of a cable reporter? Why would the cable news organization permit their on camera talent be seen over a broadcast network?

The broadcast networks appear to have larger numbers newsgathering personnel: the last thing ABC, CBS or NBC needs is to "simply air a cable news stream" of, say CNN's John King and his colleagues erroneously reporting on an arrest, as they did on the 17th. (That incident did nothing to bolster CNN's rep as a news organization.)
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #10
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:

I do understand how TV works. The local stations went several days without airing any commercials after the bombing. How did they make money?

Maybe my terminology is wrong. Local Channels sometimes air cable news streams during disasters. I've seen Fox and NBC affiliates frequently air streams of MSNBC and Fox News because their own reporters were not covering something important. One of our local channels also airs a CNN stream sometimes. I can't remember which one.

I also remember after 9/11 almost every channel aired 9/11 footage for several days and nothing else. They either went offline completely or they showed a cable news stream. The only networks airing regular programming that I can remember were kids channels.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
mattack

Yeah, I definitely HAVE seen NBC show MSNBC feed, including the MSNBC logo. Rarely, but it's happened. Sometimes other channels affiliated with CNN have had CNN *people* on too.

and as said, even e.g. the NBC Nightly News gets WAY higher numbers than cable news channels do that vast majority of the time. (I listen to it via audio podcast, so that doesn't count.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #12
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:

i think that is a great idea..if all the FF places sold each others food, there would be universal demand and everyone would do well!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #13
sieglinde

Ironically I was watching cable news when the Boston story broke. For that matter I had CNN on when the World Trade Center was hit. They had people and cameras on top of their building so I saw the second plane come in live. (I watch a lot of cable news though) OTA is just too limited for me.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #14
gschrock

CNN still shows news? These days it's really turned into a crappy channel, I sure wouldn't rely on it for real news anymore. Even Headline News has been so diluted of actual news content that it's a disgrace.
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #15
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
Ironically I was watching cable news when the Boston story broke. For that matter I had CNN on when the World Trade Center was hit. They had people and cameras on top of their building so I saw the second plane come in live. (I watch a lot of cable news though) OTA is just too limited for me.
Stop watching CNN. For all our sakes. That is a bad track record.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #16
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschrock View Post
CNN still shows news? These days it's really turned into a crappy channel, I sure wouldn't rely on it for real news anymore. Even Headline News has been so diluted of actual news content that it's a disgrace.
Yes. CNN does a lot of news. Headline News is now HLN and the letter mean nothing. CNN is basically the same lineup it has been for decades.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #17
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Stop watching CNN. For all our sakes. That is a bad track record.
I had just forgiven them for completely screwing up the ObamaCare ruling. They are on my #$%^ list again.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #18
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschrock View Post
CNN still shows news? .
next thing you know MTV will start showing videos or TLC show something educational

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #19
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post

I had just forgiven them for completely screwing up the ObamaCare ruling. They are on my #$%^ list again.
CNN ruled on obamacare?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #20
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
CNN ruled on obamacare?
CNN initially reported the wrong ruling on Obamacare. They wanted to be first so they reported before they actually had all the facts.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #21
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
CNN initially reported the wrong ruling on Obamacare. They wanted to be first so they reported before they actually had all the facts.
To be fair, so did Fox News. They reported that it had been overturned when in fact it had been upheld. They couldn't really have been more wrong.