TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
JBB1940

use of TIVO remote to control Sony HT CT 150 sound bar

I have a new Sony HT CT 150 Sound system and I want to control the sound with my TIVO. I have tried the codes given for sony system with no luck. I have TIVO HDMI run to the Sony AV and then HDMI from the AV to a Sony BRAVO TV. I can control sound with the HV remote

Any suggestions.

Last edited by JBB1940 : 09-17-2011 at 05:24 PM. Reason: spelling
JBB1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 01:51 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB1940 View Post
I have a new Sony HT CT 150 Sound system and I want to control the sound with my TIVO. I have tried the codes given for sony system with no luck. I have TIVO HDMI run to the Sony AV and then HDMI from the AV to a Sony BRAVO TV. I can control sound with the HV remote

Any suggestions.
What's an HV? When you say Sony AV, do you mean a Sony AV receiver that's separate from the soundbar? Does the Sony BRAVO TV have audio out jacks that vary in volume when you work the volume control on the TV's remote?

As far as I know, you can't interrupt an HDMI signal to do stuff to the audio part and then send it on its way, nor can you do that with the video part--it's strictly pass-through from source to final target, the idea being to not let you intercept and tap off to make a recording or copy. That's why you likely won't find an HDMI "target" like a television set with video out jacks that work when the set is fed a signal via HDMI.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
DeCeccoNET

Remote code for Sony HT-CT150

I was really annoyed when none of the Sony codes worked for me too. I ended up finding it posted somewhere on the web.

Code: 1176 lets me use my Tivo slide remote to controll the volume level of my Sony HT-CT150

note that I have only used this code with my Tivo Slide remote - (the one with the keyboard) i do not know if all Tivo remotes use the same code set.
DeCeccoNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:34 PM   #4
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB1940

Any suggestions.

Run the HDMI from the TiVo to the 150 and out from the 150 to the TV. Turn the TV on first. Assuming the remote is set to the proper (TV) code, the TiVo remote will control the 150 volume.

I have the 150 with a similar setup and it works fine.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:23 PM   #5
Todd D

Thank you, Jfh3. I was just about set to purchase the Sony HT-CT150, but wanted to ensure that the TIVO remote could control the CT150's volume. I'll make the purchase now.
Todd D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Todd D

Have now connected the SONY HT CT 150 by running HDMI cable from the TIVO to the input on the SONY, and out from the SONY to the HDMI input on the TV. Sound works fine, and I'm able to control the volume using the TIVO slider remote. However, when I turn off the TV using the remote, the sound continues! I have no interest in using the SONY remote, & don't want to turn off two devices separately.

Doe anyone have a solution/work around for this? I did try abandoning the HDMI cables altogether by by using the digital optical cable (out from the TV to the SONY). This works fine, but I'm wondering if sound quality is compromised by doing this.

Thanks
Todd D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #7
WestTx

It's my understanding that using the optical (or any other) audio output of the TV will provide only stereo - no 5.1 from the Tivo. TVs will not pass anything except stereo unless you're using the OTA tuner - due to licensing restrictions. At least that's what I understand from my on-line research.

I also have the problem of controlling the CT150 on/off through my Samsung TV (UN60D6400). The soundbar will turn off when I turn the TV off but it will not come back on when I turn the TV on. I have to use the CT150 remote or power it on manually.

I'm still experimenting with my TV setup menu and CT150 setup so I'm hoping to find a way to make it all work right but if anyone here has already conquered this setup I'd appreciate the input.

Les
dead Tivo Series 2 w/Lifetime
WestTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
TracySMiller

I have the regular Tivo peanut remote, and the 1176 code works fine to let me control the volume on my Sony HT-CT150 soundbar.
TracySMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
mentra

peanut remote

I understand that, with code 1176, the peanut will control the sound. Will it turn the system on and off, or must you use the Sony remote?
mentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:59 AM   #10
Edmund
Remote Czar

to get the volume and power of stereo, it takes two steps:

1. press and hold TIVO & MUTE, release and enter the sony code, to get the volume

then:

2. press and hold TIVO & TV POWER, release and enter the sony code again, to get the power.
Edmund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
WestTx

Whether or not the sound bar will power off/on when you turn your TV on depends upon the TV. In my case, for example, my Samsung TV will power off the Sony sound bar when I power off the TV but it will not power the sound bar on when I turn the TV on. This is because the Samsung firmware intentionally does not send the power on command to the sound bar. Other manufacturers might do it differently. It all depends on how the TV's CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) is implemented.

And programming the peanut to control the sound bar off/on is not much use to me as I still have to change the sound bar input after the sound bar is powered on. For that I have to use the Sony remote.
dead Tivo Series 2 w/Lifetime
WestTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
Shanezam203

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
Run the HDMI from the TiVo to the 150 and out from the 150 to the TV. Turn the TV on first. Assuming the remote is set to the proper (TV) code, the TiVo remote will control the 150 volume.

I have the 150 with a similar setup and it works fine.
Good to know, thanks for sharing. Can I skip the HDMI route and only do the Optical Input and the Sony HT CT150 will output whatever (input) I am on @ the TV? (Tivo, Apple TV, Xbox 360) or is it not that easy?

And if so, can I still control the volume on the sound bar with the Tivo remote?
Shanezam203 is offline   Reply With Quote