Old 03-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #181
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Mini wasteland!

todd_j_derr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #182
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Get three more and you can build a cube of Minis.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #183
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
with the angles on the edges it appears you could also assemble them into a hexagon.

BTW, i made the RMA'd mini dial in and I did not get the "Tivo Service Required" message, which I found kind of odd. Although if I try to activate it on tivo.com I don't get the "this device has already been activated" message. If not for the first thing I'd probably have done that $150 click already but that gives me pause.

I also got another message from support saying the engineers are looking into it, but they're busy and all so it will probably be 5-7 days. urge to click rising...
Old 03-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #184
aaronwt
HD Addict

This is still going on!? It must really be a PITA.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #185
jmpage2

Yes, in this case the thread title is quite apropos.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #186
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_j_derr View Post
with the angles on the edges it appears you could also assemble them into a hexagon.

BTW, i made the RMA'd mini dial in and I did not get the "Tivo Service Required" message, which I found kind of odd. Although if I try to activate it on tivo.com I don't get the "this device has already been activated" message. If not for the first thing I'd probably have done that $150 click already but that gives me pause.

I also got another message from support saying the engineers are looking into it, but they're busy and all so it will probably be 5-7 days. urge to click rising...
Please don't think this is a dumb question, but do you have activated cable cards in your TP-4 units, I found out the hard way that that was necessary for the Mini to mate to any TP four tuner TiVo.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #187
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
No question is a dumb question at this point in the saga... but yes, they both have active CCs and have been operational since Oct & Dec 2011.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #188
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
After a trip to Best Buy my Mini collection has grown to 4. Unfortunately the newest one has fared no better than its brethren.

I was 95% sure that was going to work too.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #189
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Just two more, then you can complete the cube and the Borg will start to assimilate your home...
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #190
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
ok, here's one last stab in the dark that my exchange with lessd about activated cable cards indirectly led me to - maybe someone can help me with this.

When I run setup on the Mini, when it gets to the "TiVo DVR Connection" screen it says:

Choose which TiVo DVR you want this TiVo box to connect to for recording shows and watching live TV or XFINITY On Demand.

It's that last part that got me thinking. Is that text hardcoded or does it change based on whether you're a Comcast subscriber or not? Is anyone who is not a Comcast subscriber able to tell me?

I am not a Comcast subscriber, but I was when I bought my first XL4 (as well as when I bought my first Series 1 in 2000 - I still have the same account), and I subsequently changed to FIOS. I did have an exchange with at least one CSR about Comcast/XFINITY, I'm not sure if he thought I was a Comcast subscriber or if there was just something in his script. I do remember specifically making a point of the fact I was no longer a Comcast subscriber and asking if that could create a problem, he said no and I didn't pursue it further. But, I wonder if there's some "Comcast" bit set on my account and the Mini sees the XL4s do not have an active Comcast cable card and refuses to pair. Doesn't sound like the most likely scenario to me, but I'm otherwise out of ideas.

[Edit: this may also be complicated by the fact that I have an "extra" XL4 on my account that I gave to my mom... and she is a Comcast subscriber. I keep forgetting to get her to create an account so I can transfer it to her. And, FWIW I've also mentioned the "extra" XL4 not in my house to most of the CSRs I've spoken with.]

Last edited by todd_j_derr : 03-27-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #191
jmpage2

Unfortunately I am a Comcast customer so I can't verify for you. You might be on to something though... if there's a flag or bit in the XL4 that thinks it has activated with a Comcast CableCard.

Unfortunately the only way to "prove" the thing out would be to reset ALL settings on the XL4 and then re-pair your cable card on it. That should wipe out all trace of Comcast because AFAIK there is nothing on your account itself that would ever inform the Minis about comcast.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #192
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I have some evidence it's not state on the device because my second XL4 was never on Comcast (I just double checked the dates)... The only reason I thought it might be significant and possibly tracked on their servers was because of the On Demand support, but it's just pure speculation.

My XL4 does not have any "On Demand" functionality (from reading the docs I surmise I would see this under "My Shows" and/or "Find TV..."?), so that's some evidence against it.

In any case, I emailed my mom and asked her to create an account sohopefully I can at least remove that variable (probably should have done it earlier but multiple CSRs were adamant there was absolutely no issue with it). I may also create a new account for myself and transfer a couple devices over there just for fun. Or I could stop spending all this time on it and just give up and wait... but what fun would that be?
Old 03-28-2013, 12:42 AM   #193
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Unfortunately I am a Comcast customer so I can't verify for you. You might be on to something though... if there's a flag or bit in the XL4 that thinks it has activated with a Comcast CableCard.

Unfortunately the only way to "prove" the thing out would be to reset ALL settings on the XL4 and then re-pair your cable card on it. That should wipe out all trace of Comcast because AFAIK there is nothing on your account itself that would ever inform the Minis about comcast.
When you changed to your new cable co did you do a new setup, I guess the other thing you could try is move all the shows off one of the Q4 TiVo and do a full C&D all, re-pair the cable cards, do the same for the Mini and that should work, another option is to create a new TiVo account for yourself and have TiVo move all your active TiVos into that new account, your MAC will change, that can be a problem if you moved stuff to your computer. One of those options should work for your problem.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:15 AM   #194
Loach

Quote:
ok, here's one last stab in the dark that my exchange with lessd about activated cable cards indirectly led me to - maybe someone can help me with this.

When I run setup on the Mini, when it gets to the "TiVo DVR Connection" screen it says:

Choose which TiVo DVR you want this TiVo box to connect to for recording shows and watching live TV or XFINITY On Demand.

It's that last part that got me thinking. Is that text hardcoded or does it change based on whether you're a Comcast subscriber or not? Is anyone who is not a Comcast subscriber able to tell me?

I am not a Comcast subscriber, but I was when I bought my first XL4 (as well as when I bought my first Series 1 in 2000 - I still have the same account), and I subsequently changed to FIOS. I did have an exchange with at least one CSR about Comcast/XFINITY, I'm not sure if he thought I was a Comcast subscriber or if there was just something in his script. I do remember specifically making a point of the fact I was no longer a Comcast subscriber and asking if that could create a problem, he said no and I didn't pursue it further. But, I wonder if there's some "Comcast" bit set on my account and the Mini sees the XL4s do not have an active Comcast cable card and refuses to pair. Doesn't sound like the most likely scenario to me, but I'm otherwise out of ideas.

[Edit: this may also be complicated by the fact that I have an "extra" XL4 on my account that I gave to my mom... and she is a Comcast subscriber. I keep forgetting to get her to create an account so I can transfer it to her. And, FWIW I've also mentioned the "extra" XL4 not in my house to most of the CSRs I've spoken with.]
I am not a Comcast subscriber and I don't remember Xfinity ever being mentioned when I set up my 2 Minis. But honestly I'm not sure I would have paid that much attention.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #195
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
When you changed to your new cable co did you do a new setup, I guess the other thing you could try is move all the shows off one of the Q4 TiVo and do a full C&D all, re-pair the cable cards, do the same for the Mini and that should work, another option is to create a new TiVo account for yourself and have TiVo move all your active TiVos into that new account, your MAC will change, that can be a problem if you moved stuff to your computer. One of those options should work for your problem.
Les, you responded and quoted my post, but I was in fact responding to Todd.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #196
HarperVision

I'm on Oceanic TWC and never saw anything mentioning XFinity On Demand when I setup my 2 minis.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #197
jmckenna7

I had the all the same issues as Todd until I bought a Tivo Mini from Best Buy and activated it myself. The Mini I was having issues with was bought from Tivo's website and was returned as an RMA after making multiple calls to Tivo's technical support. However, Todd did not have the same luck as me when purchasing a new Mini from Best Buy.

I would just like to point out some additional information from my setup in case it helps. I also had my XL4 on Comcast and switched to FiOS recently. The day after I finally got my cablecard working on FiOS I attempted to activate my first Mini. I only have one XL4 and two Mini's on my account now. The two Mini's were activated smoothly in under 20 minutes after having a horrible time with my first Mini that was returned.
jmckenna7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #198
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I got an email from Tivo asking me to call and when I did the tech said there was no update to report and he wasn't sure why they asked me to call... ;(

Since I was on the phone anyways I did mention the Comcast angle to him and he didn't think it would be an issue, but HarperVision's report is certainly curious... although like Loach said it's probably easy to miss - the average user probably sees that screen for half a second if at all (not sure if it would even need to appear if you had one TP4 and it was working properly).

At this point I don't think there's much I can do but sit back and wait - or at least I've lost the desire to try anything else for now, including messing around with new accounts, especially since there's a chance I could end up hosing my XL4s in the process.

I've rebooted the Minis a couple more times just to make sure, but no luck.

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help... how I long for the days when I could at least get a shell on my tivo and poke around a bit.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:01 AM   #199
HarperVision

Quote:
Since I was on the phone anyways I did mention the Comcast angle to him and he didn't think it would be an issue, but HarperVision's report is certainly curious... although like Loach said it's probably easy to miss - the average user probably sees that screen for half a second if at all (not sure if it would even need to appear if you had one TP4 and it was working properly).
Yes to be clear I could've easily missed it as I wasn't looking for it and my setup was smooth as butter sliding across a hot griddle ready for a flapjack!!! Wow, I just made myself hungry
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #200
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I haven't updated this thread since I haven't heard a word from TiVo since Thursday 3/28. I've booted the mini a few times but no change. My mom's TiVo is no longer on my account so that wasn't the issue either. My 30 day trial period is ending so I'm probably going to send them all back before I end up with $1000 worth of paperweights. Not sure what I'll do after that...
Old 04-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #201
jmpage2

That's really crappy tech support on TiVos part.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #202
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
I haven't updated this thread since I haven't heard a word from TiVo since Thursday 3/28. I've booted the mini a few times but no change. My mom's TiVo is no longer on my account so that wasn't the issue either. My 30 day trial period is ending so I'm probably going to send them all back before I end up with $1000 worth of paperweights. Not sure what I'll do after that...
todd_j_derr -
Did you ever get the problems solved?
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #203
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I did not. I sent 2 of them back and they extended the 30 day trial on the other 2. I got an email on Saturday "We have prioritized your case XXXX to hopefully receive a resolution faster." Hopefully indeed! Nothing since then.

I was at my mom's house over the weekend; I meant to take a mini up there to see what would happen (although they're no longer on the same account, sort-of), but I forgot..
Old 04-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #204
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Hallelujah! Yesterday I got an email "We believe that we may resolved the issue you were having. Please attempt to setup the TiVo Mini again". Lo and behold, I got to the red-slash screen of death and there were no red slashes to be seen! I nearly wept.

So, no idea what the issue was but clearly it was on Tivo's end. Total time to resolve: 35 days.

[Edit: both minis are now set up and working fine... finally!]

Last edited by todd_j_derr : 04-20-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #205
jmpage2

Holy horrible tech support batman. 30+ days is inexcusable for any product let alone a new one that needs favorable reviews.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #206
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Yeah, that's crazy. Solidifies my belief that TiVo's beta tests are really alpha tests, and the early adopters are the real beta test.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:04 PM   #207
moyekj

Quote:
Hallelujah! Yesterday I got an email "We believe that we may resolved the issue you were having. Please attempt to setup the TiVo Mini again". Lo and behold, I got to the red-slash screen of death and there were no red slashes to be seen! I nearly wept.

So, no idea what the issue was but clearly it was on Tivo's end. Total time to resolve: 35 days.

[Edit: both minis are now set up and working fine... finally!]
By any chance did you get service transferred from an older TiVo model to your 4 tuner unit? I transferred a 3 year pre-pay to a Premiere and the back end was configured all wrong on that Premiere (it was configured as a series 3 unit). If I had to guess your problem was similar. It's crazy how little we know about the back end configuration of our units. There should be a summary of the configuration at tivo.com IMO so we have a chance to verify it ourselves.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #208
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
moyekj - I did not but my own suspicions are along those lines. My TiVo account has existed since June 2000 so who knows what kind of crud has accumulated there, how many backend upgrades it's been subjected to, etc. Maybe some field was set to something unexpected that the CSR tools ignored but the Mini puked on. I've certainly been in the situation before of having to diagnose a customer problem that "can't possibly be happening" and I know it's frustrating, but 35 days...

Anyways, I had a S1 lifetime which *still* shows up under ”Active TiVo devices" despite the fact I sold it on eBay and transferred the sub - I certainly didn't get any discounts on my first Elite. My mom's TiVo still shows up there as well, though it's now gone from "device preferences". So, plenty of extra stuff floating around, and that's just what I can see myself. I know one or two of the CSRs were kind of "thinking out loud" talking about various permissions and other configuration we have no way of seeing.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #209
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

I have been keeping an eye on this thread to see the outcome.

I can't believe it actually took 35 days to resolve this. Wow.
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #210
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
I have been keeping an eye on this thread to see the outcome.

I can't believe it actually took 35 days to resolve this. Wow.
Your avatar pic fits perfectly with that statement.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote