TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #2161
unitron

You should have a file named

jmfs-rev104.iso.zip

That should unzip to a file named

jmfs-rev104.iso

That file should be burned to a cd-r "as an image".

If not burned as an image, it won't produce a bootable cd-r.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #2162
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You should have a file named

jmfs-rev104.iso.zip

That should unzip to a file named

jmfs-rev104.iso

That file should be burned to a cd-r "as an image".

If not burned as an image, it won't produce a bootable cd-r.
I see a folder named jmfs-rev104.iso, not a file. Within that folder there are subfolders "boot" and "JavaMFS". I gather I'm probably unzipping it wrong. Don't know how to burn it "as an image" either.

Is there a different program I should be using to unzip it? Or different options to select within Winzip? This can't be that difficult. I'm either using the wrong software or wrong options within the software.

Last edited by Loach : 04-03-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #2163
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
I see a folder named jmfs-rev104.iso, not a file. Within that folder there are subfolders "boot" and "JavaMFS". I gather I'm probably unzipping it wrong. Don't know how to burn it "as an image" either.

Is there a different program I should be using to unzip it? Or different options to select within Winzip? This can't be that difficult. I'm either using the wrong software or wrong options within the software.
I think you probably unzipped it "too far" as it were. You not only unzipped the .zip file, you unzipped the .iso file that it contains.

Start over. Open the "jmfs-rev104.iso.zip" file with winzip. Extract the .iso file. Then open up you cd burner s/w. There should be an option to "burn iso" or "burn image". Select that and it should prompt you to select an iso fiile.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #2164
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I think you probably unzipped it "too far" as it were. You not only unzipped the .zip file, you unzipped the .iso file that it contains.

Start over. Open the "jmfs-rev104.iso.zip" file with winzip. Extract the .iso file. Then open up you cd burner s/w. There should be an option to "burn iso" or "burn image". Select that and it should prompt you to select an iso fiile.
Yes. While you were responding I figured it out and the problem is pretty much what you described. The .iso file was there, but stupid Windows Explorer was showing it as a WinZip file type so I assumed it had a .zip extension and still needed to be unzipped (bad assumption).

Then I used Windows Disc Image Burner to burn to CD. Boots up fine now. I've invested too much time now....will have to get me a 2TB drive! Thanks unitron and lpwcomp for your help with my newbie questions.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #2165
Loach

Just ordered a WD20EURS to do my upgrade. Cox is turning on SDV in my market on Monday, so I'll be using a tuning adapter starting then. I'm a little nervous about doing the upgrade so close to this Cox change. Should I wait to see if there is any TA weirdness going on before I do the upgrade? I realize one thing has nothing to do with the other but I'm a little worried about the possibility of needing Tivo tech support re: the TA and somebody trying to blame the upgraded hard drive.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #2166
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Just ordered a WD20EURS to do my upgrade. Cox is turning on SDV in my market on Monday, so I'll be using a tuning adapter starting then. I'm a little nervous about doing the upgrade so close to this Cox change. Should I wait to see if there is any TA weirdness going on before I do the upgrade? I realize one thing has nothing to do with the other but I'm a little worried about the possibility of needing Tivo tech support re: the TA and somebody trying to blame the upgraded hard drive.
While you're taking the time to run the WD diagnostics long test on the EURS before putting it into service, you can get the TiVo and its original drive set up the way it going to need to be going forward and make sure that's all going to work out.

After a couple of weeks of behaving itself, you can copy to the 2TB drive with relative peace of mind.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #2167
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
While you're taking the time to run the WD diagnostics long test on the EURS before putting it into service, you can get the TiVo and its original drive set up the way it going to need to be going forward and make sure that's all going to work out.

After a couple of weeks of behaving itself, you can copy to the 2TB drive with relative peace of mind.
Sounds like a reasonable strategy - if I can convince myself to wait a couple weeks. Might only be a week of good behavior - once I start these types of projects I like to git-r-done
Old 04-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #2168
smmarczak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
PM sent.
ggieseke, I would like to try your compressed Premiere image. I can't PM as I don't have enough posts yet.
smmarczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:11 AM   #2169
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmarczak View Post
ggieseke, I would like to try your compressed Premiere image. I can't PM as I don't have enough posts yet.
PM sent.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #2170
Loach

I am trying to run WD diagnostics on my new WD20EURS drive from the Ultimate Boot CD (Data Lifeguard Diagnostics 5.20). The program recognizes the drive (lists the model # and s/n), but is unable to run the test. I receive the following error message:

UNABLE TO RUN THE TEST - PLEASE CONTACT TECHNICAL SUPPORT

DLGDIAG 5.20 - DATA LIFEGUARD DIAGNOSTICS
MISSING TEST TRACKS
ERROR/STATUS CODE: 0229

I've searched WD's web site for that error code to no avail. What could I be doing wrong here? Do I have a bad copy of the diagnostics? Should I give up on the UBCD and download a Windows version of the diagnostics instead?

EDIT: Couldn't get the Windows version of WD Diagnostics to even see the hard drive. Gave up and just ran JMFS without bothering to test. No errors on the copy and everything seems to be working fine. Intellipark was already disabled on my drive, which had a manufacture date of 12/22/12.

Last edited by Loach : 04-13-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:47 AM   #2171
Dckcentaur

Can I please have the image also my drive is messed up and it will not copy till larger drive. I had tivo delete all file . And now I have the green screen of death.

Thanks
Dckcentaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:04 AM   #2172
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dckcentaur View Post
Can I please have the image also my drive is messed up and it will not copy till larger drive. I had tivo delete all file . And now I have the green screen of death.

Thanks
What model do you have?
Old 04-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #2173
dogcatcherdrew

Big Grin

I just wanted to report that I successfully upgraded my Tivo Premier (TCD746320) from the stock (320GB WD Green AV) drive to a 2 TB WD EURS AV-GP.

I read the first 15 or 20 pages, and the last 10 or 15 pages of this thread, but really all I needed was Comer's disk (rev 104) and the basic usage instructions.

I didn't do any wdidle, nor did I run a hard disk check before copying. (I probably would have if I had more time.)

Everything has been running great for almost a week.

The hardest part was finding the requisite SATA power and data cables. I ended up borrowing an external hard drive from work, swapping out the drives, and using USB.

Thanks to Comer for the awesome software, and to Unitron for helpful troubleshooting over many pages of posts.
dogcatcherdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #2174
Dckcentaur

sorry I had the tcd746320 also.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #2175
ggieseke

Quote:
sorry I had the tcd746320 also.
PM sent.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #2176
Dckcentaur

it worked thanks by the way do you have the TCD748000 Premiere XL image that has the THX on it as it got deleted on my tivo prem XL and it is not in deleted programs anymore
Old 04-17-2013, 04:28 AM   #2177
ggieseke

Quote:
it worked thanks by the way do you have the TCD748000 Premiere XL image that has the THX on it as it got deleted on my tivo prem XL and it is not in deleted programs anymore
Yes, but it wouldn't help. You have to run Clear & Delete Everything after restoring an image from another TiVo or you'll get error 51 and it won't play, record or transfer.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:57 AM   #2178
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredqwest View Post
AND be prepared..... it takes 18 hours to copy the 2TB to a 2TB..... I know.
Wow! The last time I even came close to it taking that long was with USB 2.0 adapters from the WD external drives I bought to takes the drives out of. I aborted, went SATA2 instead, and it was going to be about 8 hours with the jmfs utility. I spent a couple days learning about ddrescue (GNU), booted from jmfs CD, exited the guided jmfs utility to command line, set the sector size to 4096 (even though the AF drives emulate 512, and the non-AF are 512), let ddrescue decide how many blocks to copy at a time, and now I can do 2TB to 2TB in 2 hours, or less.

I have since altered the command line to do direct disk access reads, and synchronous writes, just for peace of mind, which is slower on some drives with smaller caches, but it helps insure integrity (or that's what understanding I took from all the reading I did about ddrescue, anyway).

I'll point out that if there is ANY suspicion of the source drive having issues, that the jmfs guided parameters are a safer bet, and worth the extra time.

What I've done is buy from DVR_DUDE, one WD20EURS drive for each model TiVo, kept them virgin, and I use them as source drives. I have no qualms copying them, as it turns out, the layout of the drives he provided (for premieres, not HDs), are in no way optimized in any special way I can ascertain. The layout has the size of the factory partitions identical, with a huge, single partition added, just like jmfs would do. jmfs recognizes the premiere drive, and will copy it. The HD drive is a different story. I can't even look at the map, and jmfs doesn't recognize it as a TiVo drive. But, drop to the command line, and ddrescue has no issue making a copy.

DVR_DUDE has dropped to the level of perpetuating myths that scare you into thinking his drives are the ONLY way to go, just like all the other sources for pre-imaged TiVo drives. I don't wish to start a war over what drives are made for what, especially since a lot of the either no longer applicable, or never the case, myths are being repeated by people I respect on here. I do agree, if the price is right, the EURS line is a no-brainer, best choice for those who don't want to worry about the intellipark issue, and/or adjusting the acoustics, and they come with a longer warranty than the cheaper alternatives, in some cases. (note: if you remove the drive from an external enclosure, you technically have voided any and all warranty, unless you can sneak it back in and leave no trace of tampering). I actually would like to discuss the matter of AV vs non-AV drives for TiVo use, and how some say it's unsuitable to use an AV drive in a computer. I'd just like it to be civil, and in the right thread. Perhaps those who feel strongly on their opinions could PM me on the matter.

I never expected it to be so simple and fast. I've even used WD20EZRX drives in two premieres (the ones that were in the external USB enclosures, but can be purchased standalone), without issue. They are the king of WD's low power green drives, thus they don't have a chip dedicated to making them quiet, and you can get them dirt cheap, on sale. I couldn't recommend them for a bedroom, though, since if your not watching TV, you can hear them seeking, which gets loud when the database is being updated.

My next round of tinkering was going to involve booting from the Ultimate Boot/Rescue CD, with the most recent GNU ddrescue and see what I could do with it.

Now that I read that somebody else is working on a universal truncated & compressed image, maybe I'll just kick back and see what that's all about and how it was done. I'm VERY interested in this project. Perhaps I could contribute in some way?

One thing I'd like to ask, is there a way to, legitimately, get some WD20EADS drives that are a week from end of warranty, and borderline, to fail enough to get warranty replacement? They were in TiVo Premieres, and sections of them have VERY slow read/write times, which leaves them unsuitable for TiVo use, and I don't trust them for anything else. I doubt WD would replace just due to degraded performance. I also have one that insists its SMART status is OK, but the SMART tests abort when in a TiVo (any model), and when tested with WD WinDLG, on any computer. It says aborted due to too many bad sectors (WD WinDLG), and Fail 7 (TiVo) but the overall SMART status still says PASSED/OK. The borderline drives will produce read errors if used as a source drive with ddrescue, but I can't get any write errors, and WD WinDLG says they all pass. How do I force the problem areas to get flagged as bad? I've been working with computers and hard drives for over 20 years, and I've never had an issue like this...

Also, is WD in the habit of putting a hold on your credit card when doing an advanced RMA? I've heard of people having an issue with having no space on their credit card until WD gets the drives back. Then, what happens if they decide that the drives sent back weren't "bad enough"? Do I end up paying full price for whatever drives they advance shipped? I understand it's possible I could wind up with larger drives, non-compatible w/TiVo, with a high price tag. I could live with that, as long as I don't wind up paying for it.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 04-20-2013 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Spelling, grammar, add a few comments.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:16 AM   #2179
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Now that I read that somebody else is working on a universal truncated & compressed image, maybe I'll just kick back and see what that's all about and how it was done.

One thing I'd like to ask, is there a way to, legitimately, get some WD20EADS drives that are a week from end of warranty, and borderline, to fail enough to get warranty replacement? They were in TiVo Premieres, and sections of them have VERY slow read/write times in areas, which leaves them unsuitable for TiVo use, and I don't trust them for anything else. I doubt WD would replace just due to degraded performance. I also have one that insists its SMART status is OK, but the SMART tests abort in both when in a TiVo (any model), and when tested with WD WinDLG, on any computer. It says aborted due to too many bad sectors (WD WinDLG), and Fail 7 (TiVo) but the overall SMART status still says PASSED/OK. The borderline drives will produce read errors if used as a source drive with ddrescue, but I can't get any write errors, and WD WinDLG says they all pass. How do I force the problem areas to get flagged as bad? I've been working with computers and hard drives for over 30 years, and I've never had an issue like this...

Also, is WD in the habit of putting a hold on your credit card when doing an advanced RMA? I've heard of people having an issue with having no space on their credit card until WD gets the drives back. Then, what happens if they decide that the drives sent back weren't "bad enough"? Do I end up paying full price for whatever drives the advance ship?
I released DvrBARS on the 13th. Give it a whirl.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=503261

If WinDlg says aborted due to too many bad sectors they'll give you an RMA number, and I've never had them say anything after the fact. They probably just scan the serial number and throw 99% of the returned drives in the recycler bin.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:08 AM   #2180
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
I released DvrBARS on the 13th. Give it a whirl.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=503261

If WinDlg says aborted due to too many bad sectors they'll give you an RMA number, and I've never had them say anything after the fact. They probably just scan the serial number and throw 99% of the returned drives in the recycler bin.
Will do. I've been away from the forums for so long I only had two active threads left in my subscribed list, this was one of them.

I'm not so worried about that one drive, since I can get some form of error with their own utility. It's the other five drives, then the other three that are currently getting their wear and tear and will likely be in the same shape in a few months, also right on the cusp of warranty by that time.

My biggest concern, is I've read reports of people shipping their drives in, non-advanced RMA, only to get the same drive right back, still bad, and out the cost of shipping, and pushed out of warranty. I also can't afford a charge authorization hold on my card, which I've seen reports of. I guess there has been some recent changes at WD regarding returns. I know Newegg's policies have changed to the point of people switching to retail drive purchases. Gotta love "The Great Recession"...
Old 04-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #2181
lessd

Quote:
Also, is WD in the habit of putting a hold on your credit card when doing an advanced RMA? I've heard of people having an issue with having no space on their credit card until WD gets the drives back. Then, what happens if they decide that the drives sent back weren't "bad enough"? Do I end up paying full price for whatever drives they advance shipped? I understand it's possible I could wind up with larger drives, non-compatible w/TiVo, with a high price tag. I could live with that, as long as I don't wind up paying for it.
Never been a problem, just send back the old drive quickly and have a credit card that $150 off the credit line will not give you a problem.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #2182
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Never been a problem, just send back the old drive quickly and have a credit card that $150 off the credit line will not give you a problem.
I'm assuming that's per drive. I was hoping to send all the "borderline" drives, as in too sluggish for TiVo use anymore, in one shot. I've been letting them stack up to save on shipping and make it one thing to do. If $150 per drive, that'll leave me returning 1 or 2, and adding the rest to my wall of dead, and untrustworthy WD drives I didn't get to in time...

Yet, I have drives that are over 10 years old, and still running.

I've autopsied a few newer ones, from my computers, and you can see the Teflon on the fluid dynamic bearings wears off in the direction of gravity, which obviously would allow the platters to wobble. It can't help that some drives vibrate bad enough to move if not secured. Have learned that mounting drives vertically, ensures quicker death, but surprised that 24/7 drives can't keep such wear from happening. Maybe the 7200RPM drives still running keep the float, avoiding the contact wear, and the low RPM/variable speed green drives don't. Well, I won't clog up the thread with this any further, and will talk to WD. Thanks, everybody. Feel free to PM if you have any further ideas/thoughts, perhaps a pointer to a thread devoted to such matters.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #2183
lessd

Quote:
I'm assuming that's per drive. I was hoping to send all the "borderline" drives, as in too sluggish for TiVo use anymore, in one shot. I've been letting them stack up to save on shipping and make it one thing to do. If $150 per drive, that'll leave me returning 1 or 2, and adding the rest to my wall of dead, and untrustworthy WD drives I didn't get to in time...

Yet, I have drives that are over 10 years old, and still running.

I've autopsied a few newer ones, from my computers, and you can see the Teflon on the fluid dynamic bearings wears off in the direction of gravity, which obviously would allow the platters to wobble. It can't help that some drives vibrate bad enough to move if not secured. Have learned that mounting drives vertically, ensures quicker death, but surprised that 24/7 drives can't keep such wear from happening. Maybe the 7200RPM drives still running keep the float, avoiding the contact wear, and the low RPM/variable speed green drives don't. Well, I won't clog up the thread with this any further, and will talk to WD. Thanks, everybody. Feel free to PM if you have any further ideas/thoughts, perhaps a pointer to a thread devoted to such matters.
The drives have to be in warranty for the RMA to work, I think you can do 10 drives at a time, I have only done a single drive at one time.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #2184
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
The drives have to be in warranty for the RMA to work, I think you can do 10 drives at a time, I have only done a single drive at one time.
Yes, I understand that. The drives that I started out talking about are all in warranty for a week and then they won't be anymore. This is because I purchased them all on the same date, but have just been stacking them up as they became problematic, recycling them back into service if they just needed re-imaging. They're no longer within acceptable read performance thresholds for use in TiVo, or for anything that read errors would be a problem with.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #2185
lessd

Quote:
Yes, I understand that. The drives that I started out talking about are all in warranty for a week and then they won't be anymore. This is because I purchased them all on the same date, but have just been stacking them up as they became problematic, recycling them back into service if they just needed re-imaging. They're no longer within acceptable read performance thresholds for use in TiVo, or for anything that read errors would be a problem with.
Just get them back to WD, you do not have to use your credit card if you don't need advance replacement, just send back your old drives and WD will send out the replacements when they get your old drives, just get a RMA for each drive.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #2186
tlwizard

I have a Premiere XL that I moved from one room to the other. When I plugged it in the other room, it kept rebooting in the Welcome Screen bootup. The drive was also making a repeated high pitch pattern of noise.

Opened everything up, hooked the hard drive up to a computer, and the drive is unrecognizable in disk management. Won't boot, won't start, won't nothing. I do not have a back up of the drive.

Will ggieseke 's program or image allow me to get this Tivo (with lifetime) (model TCD748000) hopefully back up and running? I have another WD Green 1TB at the ready. Don't even care about increasing storage size. Just don't want to lose the Tivo.

Thanks!
tlwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #2187
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlwizard View Post
I have a Premiere XL that I moved from one room to the other. When I plugged it in the other room, it kept rebooting in the Welcome Screen bootup. The drive was also making a repeated high pitch pattern of noise.

Opened everything up, hooked the hard drive up to a computer, and the drive is unrecognizable in disk management. Won't boot, won't start, won't nothing. I do not have a back up of the drive.

Will ggieseke 's program or image allow me to get this Tivo (with lifetime) (model TCD748000) hopefully back up and running? I have another WD Green 1TB at the ready. Don't even care about increasing storage size. Just don't want to lose the Tivo.

Thanks!
The short answer is yes. The Tivo drive should be present but uninitialized in Windows disk management. Do not let windows disk management do anything to the drive. I would download the manufacturer drive diagnostics and run any non destructive test on the drive. See what it says about the drive. Probably the drive is bad and ggieseke's program may be able to back up the drive and you can restore it on another drive. But if the original is bad you may be making a bad copy. Worth a shot. You can pm ggieseke and he may be able to get you an image you can restore to the new drive. You won't have any of your shows but you'll have your TiVo back.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:23 PM   #2188
tlwizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
The short answer is yes. The Tivo drive should be present but uninitialized in Windows disk management. Do not let windows disk management do anything to the drive. I would download the manufacturer drive diagnostics and run any non destructive test on the drive. See what it says about the drive. Probably the drive is bad and ggieseke's program may be able to back up the drive and you can restore it on another drive. But if the original is bad you may be making a bad copy. Worth a shot. You can pm ggieseke and he may be able to get you an image you can restore to the new drive. You won't have any of your shows but you'll have your TiVo back.
Thanks for the response. To be clear, the drive doesn't even appear in disk management and the WD diagnostics Is also unable to find it. I don't think there's anything I can salvage, unfortunately.

I'll send ggieseke a pm and see if I can apply the image to a fresh drive to save the Tivo.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #2189
tlwizard

Just wanted to say that ggieseke hooked me up with the image and everything's working perfectly. And the DvrBARS program he created made it all super easy too!
Old 05-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #2190
pbhm

My Tivo Premiere (TCD746320) HD failed and not able to recover any type of image. I read in this forum that such image may be around. I am new to this forum (as of today) so any direction as how the image can be transferred to me would be helpful.
pbhm is offline   Reply With Quote