TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-14-2013, 12:46 AM   #1
bucknutzz

Red face help? What older direct tv Tivos dvr still get HD

I am looking to add a new HD TIVO DVR receiver . I do not want to pay 500 bucks and be stuck with a two year commitment to direct tv. We have a TiVo receiver hooked up ( non dvr) from 2004 and we still like the interface. are there any older generation TiVo dvrs available somewhere that will still be able to receive direct tvs HD line up?
was looking at H 10-250 until I read somewhere that will only work with standard definition.
Any model numbers to look for and where on the market to find them.. thanks
bucknutzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I don't there ever was a "non-DVR" Tivo.

I've had the original series 1, a series 2, and a series 3. HD, "hi-Def" didn't come around into homes until there was digital, and that started with series 3 with analog and digital tuners. Earlier models only have analog tuners, and they can support DirecTV.
The series 3 and above only support antenna or cable.

If you are looking for Tivo for DirecTV, go to the DirecTV site and look at the model THR-22.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 04-14-2013 at 05:05 AM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
joed32

Short answer is no. Only the THR22 can be used for HD with Directv and a lot of people here are not real happy with it. I don't have one but I know that some of the features that the rest of their DVRs can use are not available on the Tivo unit.
joed32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I have a THR22. If you are looking for the HR10 experience, then you'll be generally satisfied. If you expect it to have the features of either modern standalone TiVos or DirecTV's own DVRs, you'll be disappointed.

I don't know where the "500 bucks" comes in. The most you'd pay is $199 and probably less, with free installation of a new dish. Yes, there would be a two-year commitment. (There is also the $5/mo "TiVo Fee" if you go THR22.)

If you can live without the TiVo UI, I'd recommend getting a DirecTV Plus DVR (HR24).
Old 04-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
Bigg

Forget about it. The THR22 was several years behind it's time when it came out. TiVo is dead on DirecTV, and if you want DirecTV, the Genie is the way to go.

I'm surprised anyone bought a THR22, the thing is a total piece of junk. It's old hardware that's stuck in a bygone era and crippled.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Forget about it. The THR22 was several years behind it's time when it came out. TiVo is dead on DirecTV, and if you want DirecTV, the Genie is the way to go.
You are right. The ONLY reason DirecTV even came out with the THR22 was to fill contractual agreements with TiVo. It was based on 5 or 6 year old specifications which DirecTV had no interest in updating. DirecTV has no interest whatsoever to sell the TiVo units. Have you seen the model comparison chart on DirecTV's web site?

The HR10-250 will receive only SD DirecTV content, but will receive HD OTA content.
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
You are right. The ONLY reason DirecTV even came out with the THR22 was to fill contractual agreements with TiVo. It was based on 5 or 6 year old specifications which DirecTV had no interest in updating. DirecTV has no interest whatsoever to sell the TiVo units. Have you seen the model comparison chart on DirecTV's web site?

The HR10-250 will receive only SD DirecTV content, but will receive HD OTA content.
Yeah, it's just sad to see it offered up against the Genie with all of the everything that the Genie does.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
NGeorge

Yeah I agree it's sad about how bad DirecTV mis-managed the THR-22... I waited years and years for this thing, and I figured the reason for the delay was because they were adding features or tweaking it. Turns out 3 years late and we have basically an HR10-250 once again.

In the meantime I'm at Comcast with a Tivo Premiere, and with the new software they've been tweaking (my Premiere is at v22 -- the DirecTV units are stuck at v9), it looks even slicker than the new DirecTV machines, is FAST, and is just as easy to navigate as any Tivo ever has been, has Xfinity On Demand built in (and I have a retail unit), and they've converted 90% of the menus to HD... I'm moving shortly, and plan to come back to D*--but damn I wish I could bring my Premiere with me! It's as if D* felt threatened by the Premiere and decided not to allow the new software in their box since they thought it could be a threat.

The ONLY audience I can see the THR-22 appealing to is exactly who I know who has it--my dad--it took him a year to figure out Tivo in 2003, and when I "upgraded" him to an HR20 for all the new HD in 2008, he couldn't figure out the new system... he even went back to SD for a year since he gave up on the D* software... the THR-22 came out and he's back to enjoying his DVR in HD ever since... Tivo really does have the "intuitiveness" down-- and if you don't NEED any DVR features that came out after 2005 or have an an elderly parent, I'd say go for it--but otherwise take a hard look at the D* software-- or a Tivo Premiere if you aren't married to D*.
NGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
Bigg

Yes, it was like an HR10-250, but in a market that was what, 7 years advanced, while DirecTiVo stood still?

I don't see why TiVo is a threat to DirecTV if DirecTV still controls the hardware, and still provides the service.

I get why you can't integrate a DirecTiVo directly with Genie (although a THR44 would have been sick), but it should have been able to do MRV with other DirecTV DVRs just like the HR24 can with an HR44 or any other DirecTV DVR or HD box. And they should have updated the TiVo side of it to be current with what's out there now. Replace MoCA with Deca for the internet features, and it would have been a pretty compelling product. Heck, I'd be thinking about DirecTV a lot more if they had TiVo (although the pricing is still an issue, as Comcast is way cheaper).

I'm not sure how many people are out there who can't figure out another DVR... they're all basically the same, even if some are a lot more aggravating to use and have far fewer features than TiVo.

It's pretty clear that it's D* -OR- TiVo, not both at this point.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
joed32

If they thought they could make money with it they probably would. But since the first one took so long to develop the Genie would probably be obsolete by the time that got it done.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #11
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post
If they thought they could make money with it they probably would. But since the first one took so long to develop the Genie would probably be obsolete by the time that got it done.
They purposely dragged their feet on it.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #12
joed32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
They purposely dragged their feet on it.
No kidding!
Old 05-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
magnus
Tivo User

Yep, I never see the point in companies doing things half-a**ed. It sucks that Directv did this crap and holds back the box from having any of the features that the Premiere has.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #14
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Yep, I never see the point in companies doing things half-a**ed. It sucks that Directv did this crap and holds back the box from having any of the features that the Premiere has.
To fulfill the contract?