TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

R10: Can an access card be transferred between boxes?

My Dad has a DirecTV TiVo R10 (I know...still in the non-HD world). It's been on his account along with 2 basic DirecTV boxes for about 7 years.

He bought another R10 off ebay because he thinks the 7-year old one has been getting flaky. Not quite sure how to add it to his account. He would like to replace one of his basic non-recording DirecTV boxes with this "new" R10.

Can we just move the access card from the basic box to this "new" R10 and then call DirecTV to get it paired/activated to that box? I saw elsewhere that you can buy a new access card from DirecTV for $20, but if he's going to deactivate a basic box from his account, why not just move the card? Thanks!

TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (318 hr)
TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (77 hr)
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime (x4)
TiVo Stream
dmk1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:30 AM   #2
tomc585

They can do it but they don't. One occasion via telephone I was able to get tech support to reprogram a card so i could move it to another receiver I owned. They will require you to purchase a new card from them for $20.

HR21-200
SD-DVR320
D11-100
tomc585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
texasbrit

It might not be worth it. It's rumored that the older boxes with the RPG guide will be losing locals soon, and I am not sure that DirecTV will even activate one of these receivers unless it's already been on the same account.
See http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=213698 It's a confused thread, but you will probably get the gist.
texasbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
ADent

The DTiVos will still get program guide data.

It is the even older stuff that used the non-advanced program guide (APG is the newer guide, MPG is really old guide) that is going to be shut down.
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
magnus
Tivo User

I believe you can buy a non-RID box and move the card to it and then refresh services. Other than that you'd have to just move parts around like the hard drive but moving the motherboard won't work cause that's where the RID comes into play.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

it can be done, but it isn't easy to get done, and you have to press - probably go to a supervisor, and maybe more than one.

because it's used equipment, your using an existing card, and it's the same model, you're only asking them to change the card to a different rid, which is simple for a rep willing to do it. good luck.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

Thanks for all the feedback and tips everyone. I think he's just going to keep the 1 old TiVo box and hopefully in the near future upgrade to the newer HD version from DirecTV. Thanks again!

TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (318 hr)
TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (77 hr)
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime (x4)
TiVo Stream
dmk1974 is offline   Reply With Quote