Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-12-2013, 01:35 AM   #31
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandS View Post
Is the update you mention called "VCM Connection" in the System Information?
The "VCM Connection" time listed in System Information is the time the initial connection to the TiVo servers is made. For me the stuttering does not start until it gets to the "Loading info" stage, which can be much later.

For instance, I forced a connection and the "VCM Connection" time is listed as 11:07pm

But now at 11:40pm "Loading info" is still at 46% and playback is occasionally stuttering. Odd that Live TV is not affected, nor is chasing playback. Only playback from My Shows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:07 AM   #32
bigguy126

I maybe found a possible workaround. I've found that tivo updates their listings daily around 4pm est. I force a call before going to bed. That way if the box tries to load data during the next day, it already has the new data and won't try to load it. So far it has been working. Obviously, this is not ideal and Tivo needs to fix this.
bigguy126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:16 AM   #33
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

^^^^
I do the same thing now, when I remember, I try to force a connection either late afternoon or before bed.

I do not recall the Elite doing this prior to the Fall Update.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:39 AM   #34
TZR916

Excellent info, thanks.
TZR916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #35
compnurd

All of my Tivos update in the middle of the night... just the pattern they are on
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #36
JandS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
The "VCM Connection" time listed in System Information is the time the initial connection to the TiVo servers is made.
Thx. I didn't notice what the "loading info" status was at the time, just the VCM times, but we had significant stuttering last night while playing from My Shows. At the same time, two recordings on the same channel with "padded/overlap times" were finishing/starting, so there were 2 red tuner lights for a short time. (this was on XL4)

The VCM Connection completed the same minute that the stuttering started.

As described by somebody earlier, it was as if pause/play was being clicked over and over, lasted 1-2 min., result was completely unintelligible. No problem when replaying the same segment later.
JandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #37
chrispitude

I have a 2TB Premiere. I am currently experiencing significant stuttering while watching a prerecorded show from My Shows. After finding this thread, I checked to see if a network connection was in progress, and sure enough it is (the "Loading Data" phase). This does seem to be a bug.
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #38
JWhites

I'm not experiencing this issue on either of my Premieres and Premiere 4s. I took a peek inside through a bottom vent and discovered two of them are using Seagate HD Pipeline drives while one from 2010 is using a Western Digital AV-GP drive.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #39
rblum

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispitude View Post
I have a 2TB Premiere. I am currently experiencing significant stuttering while watching a prerecorded show from My Shows. After finding this thread, I checked to see if a network connection was in progress, and sure enough it is (the "Loading Data" phase). This does seem to be a bug.
I have experienced this very occasionally, but the last 2 times (3 days apart), when I checked, it was "loading data". Seems like it could be pretty easily fixed by lowering the priority of that process....
rblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #40
oViTynoT
Obvious Forum Lurker

Wow. I'm glad I stumbled across this thread... Mines been doing it for the last several months (maybe once or twice a week that I've seen.) Now I know what to look for.
oViTynoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:42 AM   #41
christheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post
No Tivos connects at a time that always changes. That way all tivos don't call home at the same time and overwhelm the Tivo servers.
If you go to central->settings->Network you will see the last time and the next time the connection is made.
If you see the stutter the network connection screen will say in progress.

How long it takes depends on the amount of data loaded and maybe also the number of season passes you have.

If it is a hard disk issue (I don't to think this is) you can run kickstart 54 and later kickstart 57. (it takes a long time to run the full smart test)

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

This sounds very interesting. Do you think there might be any chance this could be related to the partial download issue with TTG and TTG/Ipad-compliant programs?

If so I have a crude (and somewhat cruddy) idea of what to do: Run the cat-5 network cable to the Tivo through an old cable/DSL router and power the router up with a modified photocell type of device used for switching outdoor lights on and off. Tape the photocell to the front of the Tivo so that the bright red recording lights cause it to cut off, thereby temporarily disconnecting the network connection.
At least now the Tivo won't "phone home" while recording.

Last edited by christheman : 07-01-2013 at 03:49 AM.
christheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #42
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I have not noticed the behavior discussed in this thread since the 20.3.1 SW update.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:15 AM   #43
TZR916

Quote:
I have not noticed the behavior discussed in this thread since the 20.3.1 SW update.
Same here
TZR916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #44
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
I still experience it on four Premiere TCD746320 2-tuner units. The stutter is usually only in the audio, but it's position doesn't change, if I rewind, and it occurs on both LiveTV and recordings.

It doesn't matter what drive is in them, and sometimes I get no audio at all, without changing channels, then changing back, or re-recording the afflicted program (if I have that luxury). It's not limited to any channels in particular, but is much worse on the ones that operate in the lower end of the signal spectrum, like 69Mhz, which has 4 channels on it. If I record the same show, at the same time on both the HD (69MHz), and the SD (609MHz) channels, the SD recording will be fine, but the HD recording will stutter.

I'm nearing the end of the cutoff to install my Tuning Adapters, so maybe they will help. I'll report back the results.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #45
christheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by christheman View Post
This sounds very interesting. Do you think there might be any chance this could be related to the partial download issue with TTG and TTG/Ipad-compliant programs?

If so I have a crude (and somewhat cruddy) idea of what to do: Run the cat-5 network cable to the Tivo through an old cable/DSL router and power the router up with a modified photocell type of device used for switching outdoor lights on and off. Tape the photocell to the front of the Tivo so that the bright red recording lights cause it to cut off, thereby temporarily disconnecting the network connection.
At least now the Tivo won't "phone home" while recording.
Just to answer my own question in case anyone else might be following, a partial download issue did NOT happen during the last two connections and updates, although I DID get a partially downloadable show in the last 24 hour period. Something else is causing it.
christheman is offline   Reply With Quote