TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:41 PM   #61
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
I'm still happy with my 6.95 a month Premiere. (or Premier if you can't actually read the name on the box of the thing)

The mini is a useless turd to me at this point.
You are happy because you have a Premiere at a price that is not available for new subscribers.

The Mini is not necessarily aimed at you. However it's worth pointing out that;

1. The Mini is a LOT faster than your Premiere.
2. The Mini uses less than 20% of the electricity of a Premiere.
3. Mini has no moving parts to fail.
4. Mini requires no cable card rentals, extra outlet charges, etc.

It's for THOSE reasons that some of us with 4 tuner TiVos have bought one or more Minis.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #62
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I have a 4 tuner box.

I don't want a 3 tuner box.

In fact, I have a 6 tuner box if I combine the Elite and the cheapass Premiere.

The financials make no sense for this Mini nonsense.

As for electricity, I have things like air conditioners and microwaves that use 1200 times the power. Who cares?

Cable Cards are $2. Who cares?

If the hard drive fails, I can buy a 2TB for $79. Who cares?
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #63
moyekj

I have a 4 tuner box that is still a 4 tuner box even with a Mini attached to it as I don't dedicate any tuners to the Mini. The GUI speed on the 4 tuner box is just pitiful compared to the speed of the Mini, so much so that I mostly use the Mini as my main front end to the Elite. And yes the speed of My Elite is so lousy I was happy to fork out $250 bucks to improve on it tremendously. Personally I can't wait until next 4+ tuner TiVo model with better processor is available so I can get rid of my sluggish Elite (well I probably won't get rid of it but will relegate it permanently to headless recording). The responsiveness of the Mini is not something to be overlooked by those who have never tried it and hopefully is a preview of coming attractions for new TiVo DVR boxes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 04-12-2013 at 12:02 AM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #64
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I don't get people who complain about the interface speed. I use it for 20 seconds to pick a show to watch. It's not like it makes the actual show play slowly. Did you ever use a CD player in 1984? Wow, CD should have failed as a format! Give me a break.
Two TiVo Minis

Old 04-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #65
jmpage2

Quote:
I have a 4 tuner box.

As for electricity, I have things like air conditioners and microwaves that use 1200 times the power. Who cares?

The financials make plenty of sense. Because you don't care about your electric bill and because you don't have to pay the $9 outlet fee that many have to pay per cable card and because you don't care about the interface speed the Mini does not make sense to you. The problem is you can't see things from anyone else's point of view. For someone paying .25 per kwh for electricity and paying $9 a month for a CC + outlet charge the Mini makes financial sense. You are hung up about how many tuners you have but the reality is many of us can "get by" with three tuners until dynamic tuner allocation is delivered.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #66
Arcady
Stargate Fan

You can highlight you all you want, but $250 for a box that saves me negative money is stupid. It's not my fault you have a cable company that cheats and charges fake outlet charges.
Two TiVo Minis

Old 04-12-2013, 06:12 AM   #67
atmuscarella

Quote:
I'm still happy with my 6.95 a month Premiere. (or Premier if you can't actually read the name on the box of the thing)

The mini is a useless turd to me at this point.
Quote:
You can highlight you all you want, but $250 for a box that saves me negative money is stupid. It's not my fault you have a cable company that cheats and charges fake outlet charges.
And your point is what? That not ever product that TiVo makes works or makes sense for you? Welcome to the club. All of the products that TiVo has released since the Premiere don't work for me - so what? It certainly doesn't mean that all of those products are worthless for everyone, it just means they are not for me.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:07 AM   #68
aaronwt
HD Addict

I use my Minis more than my Elites. But that is because I have a Mini in my main setup, next to an Elite, that I use for most of my TV watching. Instead of using the Elite.
Once a Six tuner box comes out, I'll be using the six tuner box for my main viewing.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #69
jmpage2

Quote:
And it's not my fault that you insist on wasting everyone's time thread-crapping all over the place in the TiVo Mini forum when you clearly have zero interest in the thing.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #70
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
I think people need to stop trying to look at the Mini as a stand alone product, which it is not. Looking at it that way completely missing what TiVo is selling. Which is a whole home digital cable DVR system. I think that is what TiVo is trying to compete against.

My personal opinion is that TiVo is ahead of other whole home digital cable DVR systems but really needs to improve the software and get new DVR hardware out the door to stay there.
Exactly. TiVo was BEHIND in that manner up until now, since Comcast and the others had it. And DirecTV and whatnot.

They definitely need to work on the software and software features, as I think we do (and should) hold them to a higher standard than what the MSO itself offers.

The Mini is the piece of the puzzle that TiVo was missing. The Premiere didn't scale well at $650/TV, whereas the Mini at $250/TV scales upwards a lot better.

Quote:
I have a 4 tuner box.

You can set the Mini up to not have Live TV, and DTA is coming.

1 watt = $1/yr (roughly, calculated here in the Northeast, YMMV), so there is a little savings there.

Not everyone is that lucky on CableCards. On Comcast they are around $7/card, unless they are in the same device.

The Mini is not intended to replace a Premiere, and it's not intended to be mutually exclusive. If you have two big TV's, maybe you'd want an XL4 and a Premiere, and a Mini for a kitchen, basement, garage, laundry room, wherever.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #71
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
TiVo Mini is modeled after the many many MSO "whole home" boxes. Those are current products that are selling well for the MSOs.
Customers don't own MSO equipment. The MSO can bundle their whole home systems at a reduced rate or free initially to attract customers.

I think the mini is more closely modeled after the WMC extenders or Moxi mate, and most of those were discontinued.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #72
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Not to mention the satellite Joey and Genie extenders.
Yes, but cable and satellite companies are already selling an expensive service and can use the DVR as an inital loss leader and start charging at a later date once the customer is hooked.

HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
Old 04-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #73
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
Customers don't own MSO equipment. The MSO can bundle their whole home systems at a reduced rate or free initially to attract customers.

I think the mini is more closely modeled after the WMC extenders or Moxi mate, and most of those were discontinued.
Are you forgetting that the Mini is distributed via TiVo's MSO partners including Suddenlink, GCI, Grande, Evolution Digital, ...?

Retail is secondary from a business model perspective.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #74
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Are you forgetting that the Mini is distributed via TiVo's MSO partners including Suddenlink, GCI, Grande, Evolution Digital, ...?

Retail is secondary from a business model perspective.
I thought this thread was discussing the retail version of the mini.

HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
Old 04-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #75
lessd

Quote:
I thought this thread was discussing the retail version of the mini.
It started that way but ....

Old 04-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #76
Loach

Quote:
Yes, but cable and satellite companies are already selling an expensive service and can use the DVR as an inital loss leader and start charging at a later date once the customer is hooked.
Cox sure as hell isn't using whole home DVR with extenders as a "loss leader" in my market.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #77
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Cox sure as hell isn't using whole home DVR with extenders as a "loss leader" in my market.
Yeah, Comcast is making a pretty penny at $17/mo for the DVR, $10/mo for each additional box, and a $3 whole home DVR fee. They're probably making back the cost of the equipment is 2 years, and they have the stuff out there for a lot longer than that.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #78
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Yeah, Comcast is making a pretty penny at $17/mo for the DVR, $10/mo for each additional box, and a $3 whole home DVR fee. They're probably making back the cost of the equipment is 2 years, and they have the stuff out there for a lot longer than that.
I think the offers usually go to new customers or existing internet only customers. Maybe you could get a better deal if you changed providers.

HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
Old 04-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #79
Bigg

Quote:
I think the offers usually go to new customers or existing internet only customers. Maybe you could get a better deal if you changed providers.
I'm on a new sub deal with Comcast now. $94 for Blast! and every cable channel plus HBO, I own my TiVo and D3 modem.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #80
JoeTaxpayer

I read the Times article. The 4 tuner TiVo has the same monthly fee or lifetime fee as the 2 tuner models. Correct?
A new buyer would quickly choose the 4 tuner/mini combo and TiVo would lose revenue, as this combination cannibalizes their own sales.
At a flat $99/no fee, current users would have a high incentive to get rid of one box carrying the monthly fee. $13/mo plus the $8 outlet fee many cable co's provide is $21. This is a one year break even to get rid of a two tuner second tivo with the Mini sold for $250 including service. (I haven't checked what the power draw is on the regular TiVo, but cost is about $1.50 per year-watt, so for the budget conscious, I see how this adds up)

I agree, it would have been a different PR issue to just price it at $250, period. My network is mixed, wired/wireless, and my TiVos are all lifetime service, so my numbers are a bit different. A sale of a LT Tivo would be part of the equation.

Last edited by JoeTaxpayer : 04-23-2013 at 11:25 AM.
JoeTaxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #81
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yes, the service fee is the same whether you get a 2 or 4-tuner Tivo.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #82
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Or a 6-tuner TiVo.
Two TiVo Minis

Old 04-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #83
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
Or a 6-tuner TiVo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Yes, the service fee is the same whether you get a 2 or 4-tuner Tivo.
Understood. I was trying to make an objective point, that somewhere in the math, TiVo competes with itself. The Mini sale taking away from a potential full TiVo sale.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #84
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTaxpayer View Post
Understood. I was trying to make an objective point, that somewhere in the math, TiVo competes with itself. The Mini sale taking away from a potential full TiVo sale.
Or maybe an additional sale because the Mini is less in cost, both in cable card cost, and hardware/service cost, than a unneeded full DVR.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #85
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTaxpayer View Post
I read the Times article. The 4 tuner TiVo has the same monthly fee or lifetime fee as the 2 tuner models. Correct?
A new buyer would quickly choose the 4 tuner/mini combo and TiVo would lose revenue, as this combination cannibalizes their own sales.
At a flat $99/no fee, current users would have a high incentive to get rid of one box carrying the monthly fee. $13/mo plus the $8 outlet fee many cable co's provide is $21. This is a one year break even to get rid of a two tuner second tivo with the Mini sold for $250 including service. (I haven't checked what the power draw is on the regular TiVo, but cost is about $1.50 per year-watt, so for the budget conscious, I see how this adds up)

I agree, it would have been a different PR issue to just price it at $250, period. My network is mixed, wired/wireless, and my TiVos are all lifetime service, so my numbers are a bit different. A sale of a LT Tivo would be part of the equation.
Yup. LT is always the way to go, but dumb consumers keep buying monthly...
Old 04-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #86
JoeTaxpayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Or maybe an additional sale because the Mini is less in cost, both in cable card cost, and hardware/service cost, than a unneeded full DVR.
Sure. The 4 tuner owner who has a second TV has options, nothing, mini, full tivo, apple TV etc.

It's not all or none. This was Apple's issue with an iPad mini. Would that sale take from a Kindle/Nook/other, or from a full iPad? Tough to know.

I happen to have more TiVos than I need right now, but if I were starting over, a 4 tuner plus Mini is pretty appealing.

Last edited by JoeTaxpayer : 04-25-2013 at 07:49 AM.
JoeTaxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #87
Bigg

But as Steve Jobs said, you can't be afraid of cannibalizing your own business, as someone else will.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #88
lessd

Quote:
But as Steve Jobs said, you can't be afraid of cannibalizing your own business, as someone else will.
+1

Old 04-27-2013, 02:44 PM   #89
Trekboy

Quote:
+2
Trekboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #90
innocentfreak

Quote:
Yup. LT is always the way to go, but dumb consumers keep buying monthly...
I wouldn't call them dumb since they allow TiVo to continue to offer lifetime. I imagine TiVo would have to make changes if everyone opted for lifetime.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote