TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #61
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambertman View Post
Doctor Who News Page seems to have spilled the beans that it will be
Spoiler:
Pyramids of Mars ...because it's on the upcoming DVD.
That was a pretty good episode I thought.

I should also have mentioned that he had a lot of companions, at least eight.

I think that Sarah was the only companion to have been a companion to three different Doctors.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:43 AM   #62
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
I think that Sarah was the only companion to have been a companion to three different Doctors.
???

You mean to have appeared with three Doctors?
Old 04-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #63
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Lightbulb

Quote:
Well the Companions special that ran recently was only about the ones that have been since the reboot. Sarah Jane was on one episode with Tenant so she got a mention (and her own show) bit it was about the companions SINCE Rose. They didn't mention Donna though, which I found odd.
I think Sarah Jane was in more than one Doctor Who story with David Tennant. And Tennant was a guest on her tv series too.

The other Tennant story was The Stolen Earth / Journey's End which had a lot of Tardis guests on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stolen_Earth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey...nd_(Doctor_Who)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Share an online coupon here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DianaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #64
cheesesteak
Meh.

My man, Tom Baker! The greatest Doctor of them all. I have to admit though, that I fell asleep halfway through the Pyramids of Mars broadcast. This episode like a lot of classic Doctor Who episodes I've been watching has about one segment too many, where nothing much happens to deserve the extra 20 minutes.

They only had segments for Sara Jane, Leela and K9. Looks like Teagen, Nyssa and Adrick will be on the next Doctor's special.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #65
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

But what about Romana?!?

WILL NOBODY THINK ABOUT ROMANA?!?!?

(If I haven't already, remind me to tell my story about meeting Sarah "Nyssa" Sutton.)
Old 04-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #66
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
But what about Romana?!?

(If I haven't already, remind me to tell my story about meeting Sarah "Nyssa" Sutton.)
At least they showed Romana II in a brief film clip. No Romana I. I wonder if the companions will rate a bigger, more thorough part on the inevitable dvd.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:53 AM   #67
Church AV Guy

Quote:
But what about Romana?!?

Would that be Romana I or Romana II? I liked them both, and Romana II was a special of Tom's, of course. Since they stopped after Leela, I can only hope that they will feature the other companions in a future special.

I was just the right age when I saw these to be in love with Elisabeth Sladen, Louise Jameson, Mary Tamm AND Lalla Ward.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Old 04-30-2013, 05:06 AM   #68
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Would that be Romana I or Romana II? I liked them both, and Romana II was a special of Tom's, of course. Since they stopped after Leela, I can only hope that they will feature the other companions in a future special.
Unfortunately, the next special is Peter Davison...unless they figure Baker's tenure was worth two!
Old 05-01-2013, 01:25 AM   #69
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Unfortunately, the next special is Peter Davison...unless they figure Baker's tenure was worth two!
I'm aware that the next one SHOULD be Davison, but given the time that Tom played The Doctor, this special, while good, really didn't do him justice--based on the time he spent playing the role. I didn't plan these specials though, so they can do whatever they want with them.

Sladen sure was a cutie!

Old 05-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #70
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

How are they going to do a special about Paul McGann? Or, for that matter, show an "episode," since I question if BBC America has rights to the TV movie in the states.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #71
DianaMo
Cubs fan

Lightbulb

My guess is that BBC America will do a revisit with Paul McGann, simply because they include him in their ads.

They don't include anything about Peter Cushing...at least not that I've noticed. So I doubt they're mentioning his work... But I could be wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Who_and_the_Daleks

-------------------------------------------

Scene from that movie...

Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D. (US Original Movie Launch Trailer)
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilfred_Mott

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Cribbins

Share an online coupon here

DianaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #72
sieglinde

The Baker Doctor Who is the first one I was ever really aware of. I had seen an old movie on TV with the Third Doctor but after that I had no access to Doctor who until BBCA started showing it. What little I saw looked pretty lame due to low budget special effects. The two newer doctors on BBCA were very good. The three episodes I have seen on the first three Doctors were fairly lame though the one about the plastic people was pretty good. (The main reason I was aware of the Baker Doctor was Doctor Who fans at SF conventions. I am guessing that they had PAL capable VCRs and getting the episodes sent to them. I never found a TV station showing it.)
Old 05-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #73
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaMo View Post
They don't include anything about Peter Cushing...at least not that I've noticed. So I doubt they're mentioning his work... But I could be wrong.
I don't think they are considering the non-BBC "Dr. Who" works to be part of the main canon.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #74
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post

I don't think they are considering the non-BBC "Dr. Who" works to be part of the main canon.
Cushing is not. Those movies were remakes of Hartnell stories with lots of details changed. Mcgann is canon.

They claim they are doing all 11. Who says they can't get the rights to the movie? At least for one showing.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #75
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Cushing is not. Those movies were remakes of Hartnell stories with lots of details changed. Mcgann is canon.

They claim they are doing all 11. Who says they can't get the rights to the movie? At least for one showing.
Yeah, that's why I clarified "non-BBC" works. The TV movie was an official BBC co-production along with FOX.

That last part is why I wasn't sure if BBC America could get rights, as they might be still owned by FOX, at least for US airings. (It is also possible that they've allowed to be able to return to BBC exclusively, and therefore might be included in the Doctor Who television package. I dunno either way.)
Old 05-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #76
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

FWIW, the American DVD of the McGann movie was released by the BBC through Warner...no Fox anywhere on the box (including the rather lengthy copyright notice, which is all BBC).
Old 05-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #77
TonyD79

Just found this. Audition tape for Paul McGann.

Thank god they didn't follow this story line.

http://io9.com/5758458/original-audi...been-way-worse
Old 05-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #78
Gerryex

Anyone know where I can watch The Dr Revisited for Tom Baker the 4th Dr? I missed it and the only thing I found on BBCA is the first half hour of it before the full special on the 5th Dr. I assume it will have most of the back story stuff but none of the full episode which I think was the Pyramids of Mars which I would have liked to have seen.

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #79
sieglinde

On Demand finally has all of them
Old 05-31-2013, 03:06 AM   #80
Church AV Guy

No comments yet about the Peter Davison episode of the Doctors Revisited? It has been four days!

I thought Earthshock was an odd episode to show since they had already featured the Cybermen in the Patrick Troughton episode, and they have yet to feature a Dalek episode. Overall, I was rather happy with this one. Since Davison was my least favorite Doctor, I expected to not like it.

...poor Adric. I remember that they did not have the closing Doctor Who theme at the end of Earthshock, just silent credits in honor of his sacrifice.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:18 AM   #81
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
No comments yet about the Peter Davison episode of the Doctors Revisited? It has been four days!

I thought Earthshock was an odd episode to show since they had already featured the Cybermen in the Patrick Troughton episode, and they have yet to feature a Dalek episode. Overall, I was rather happy with this one. Since Davison was my least favorite Doctor, I expected to not like it.
Spoiler:

...poor Adric. I remember that they did not have the closing Doctor Who theme at the end of Earthshock, just silent credits in honor of his sacrifice.
You may want to change that out of courtesy, considering this is a series of specials to help introduce new viewers to the old Doctors, you just hit me with a significant spoiler I wasn't expecting.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:57 AM   #82
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

"Vengeance on Varos" will be the 6th Doctor Revisited Story according to doctorwhonews.net.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:06 AM   #83
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
You may want to change that out of courtesy, considering this is a series of specials to help introduce new viewers to the old Doctors, you just hit me with a significant spoiler I wasn't expecting.
Really? A spoiler from 30 years ago? Especially when they didn't exactly hold it back until it happened on the show itself. They talked about it all night.

Do you know who shot JR?
Old 05-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #84
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
I commented in the other (wrong) Doctor Who thread. I'd link to it but don't know how to link to a specific post.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #85
sieglinde

They revealed that both "surprise" plot points in the introductory matter about the Doctor. The next time I heard about the Doctor was the one with the long scarf and then the one with the cricket bat. Either few people wore Doctor Who costumes at the SF cons or the subsequent Doctors weren't distinctive. There were always fan clubs and Doctor Who themed cons. But I never watched Doctor Who until BBCA started the new series.
I am curious as to why the laser gun effects were so bad when ST:TOS did a better job and it was 15 years earlier. I doubt if the methods of doing those effects were a big secret.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #86
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Really? A spoiler from 30 years ago? Especially when they didn't exactly hold it back until it happened on the show itself. They talked about it all night.

Do you know who shot JR?
I wasn't accusatory, but yeah, I think in this instance a courtesy spoiler tag would have been useful, especially considering the new viewers they have from the new series that never saw the old ones, and I'm one of them. I haven't watched the special yet, so I didn't know that it was mentioned heavily in it.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #87
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
I am curious as to why the laser gun effects were so bad when ST:TOS did a better job and it was 15 years earlier. I doubt if the methods of doing those effects were a big secret.
Money. Star Trek was made by a major Hollywood studio; Doctor Who by the BBC (who were so notoriously cheap, Tom Baker reportedly had to leave the show because after 7 years of pay raises that didn't keep up with inflation, he couldn't afford to work there any more).

So Star Trek may have been cheap by major Hollywood studio standards, but at least it was major Hollywood studio standards and not BBC standards.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:14 AM   #88
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I wasn't accusatory, but yeah, I think in this instance a courtesy spoiler tag would have been useful, especially considering the new viewers they have from the new series that never saw the old ones, and I'm one of them. I haven't watched the special yet, so I didn't know that it was mentioned heavily in it.
But then we could never have a non-spoiler tagged discussion of any tv show, movie or book because there's always going to be people who haven't seen or read them. The episode is 30 years old. Is there no statute of limitations?

Old 05-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #89
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
Quote:
Money. Star Trek was made by a major Hollywood studio; Doctor Who by the BBC (who were so notoriously cheap, Tom Baker reportedly had to leave the show because after 7 years of pay raises that didn't keep up with inflation, he couldn't afford to work there any more).

So Star Trek may have been cheap by major Hollywood studio standards, but at least it was major Hollywood studio standards and not BBC standards.
It's also why outdoor vs. indoor scenes were always so dramatically different, which only changed within the past 10 or 15 years or so. It always bothered me that in all BBC productions, they would use film for outdoors and video for indoors, with such a startling difference in quality. It would have been fine if they had been all video or all film. Monty Python even riffed on it at one point in a sketch, when they went outside and suddenly shouted, "We're on film!"

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #90
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
But then we could never have a non-spoiler tagged discussion of any tv show, movie or book because there's always going to be people who haven't seen or read them. The episode is 30 years old. Is there no statute of limitations?
In general I agree with you, and I don't think it should be a rule, but I do think in this specific instance, a bit of courtesy spoilproofing might have been a nice gesture.
I'm sure I'm not the only person being introduced to older Who this year.