TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
buscuitboy

Question Upgrading S3 drive

due to a failing drive, I am looking to replace my Series 3 (OLED) 250GB stock hard drive. I wasn't looking to do a huge upgrade since this is a DVR in a basement rec room and not used a lot. It was recommended that I get the Western Digital 500GB WD5000AVDS drive. I also have a S3 OLED image to put on it vis WinMFS so can do the whole procedure on my own.

While it is highly rated for DVR use, this also appears to be a "green" drive, correct? If so, does this mean I will ultimately have to disable its "intellipark" feature? Or should I maybe go with another 500GB model? If so, which one?

Last edited by buscuitboy : 04-11-2013 at 05:13 PM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
worachj

I put a WD5000AVDS into a Premiere and the intellipark was already disabled on it. No need to run wdidle3 on it. That drive is made for AV recorders and is why I believe the intellipark is already disabled. Its been nice and quiet, great fit for my bedroom DVR. On another WD "Green" drive I did have to disable intellipark, but not on the WD500AVDS.

PS
Newegg has the WD500AVDS for $60 with free shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136497

Last edited by worachj : 04-11-2013 at 06:32 PM.
worachj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
buscuitboy

OK, I actually JUST realized I have a spare WD drive. It looks like it may be a similar model. Its 500GB and actually a WD5000AAVS. Even says "Caviar Green" on it. Based on the similar model numbers, was this one designed for DVR use too? Would it work good in my S3? If so, would I need to disable the intellipark feature on this model in order to put it into my Series 3?
Old 04-12-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I don't know if that drive is designed for A/V use, but it should work fine in your Tivo.
For a drive you have laying around, I suggest you run the WD diagnostic long test on it before you put it into service.
You may or may not have to disable the intellipark feature. You can run the wdidle routine on it without any ill effects. If it's not needed, no harm, no foul.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
buscuitboy

I'm assuming the WD diagnostics long test can be used on this drive while there is still data on it. I don't want to move all the data off of it just yet only to find out it fails the test & can't be used in my TiVo. Although, I guess if it fails the test, its wise to remove the current data off of it anyway. Just wondering if I can use it either way.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
buscuitboy

I ran the extended diagnostic test on this 500GB drive and it all came back OK. I also then completely formatted it with the WD software as well. wrote zeros to the whole drive (took several hours) so I made sure it was completely clean before putting it in my Series 3.

I then stuck this drive in a spare PC & booted it up with wdidle3 to disable its intellipark feature. That went good too. Ran WinMFS and put the Series 3 image on it. Slipped it into my Series 3 (OLED) and all has worked good.

Let me ask this too. Is it recommended to do a FULL format of the drive (like I did with this one) before putting an image on it? I ask because about 2 months ago, I tried to use a spare Samsung 500GB drive in this Series 3 as well, but didn't do this extended formatting of it. Instead, I just basically quick formatted it, put the Series 3 image on it and put it in the Series 3 TiVo.

It worked for about a day or two before it gave me some reboot issues. Put the 250GB original drive back in and all worked good. I just chalked it up to maybe this Samsung drive not really being as compatible as a Western Digital drive, but maybe not. Just curious.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I ran the extended diagnostic test on this 500GB drive and it all came back OK. I also then completely formatted it with the WD software as well. wrote zeros to the whole drive (took several hours) so I made sure it was completely clean before putting it in my Series 3.

I then stuck this drive in a spare PC & booted it up with wdidle3 to disable its intellipark feature. That went good too. Ran WinMFS and put the Series 3 image on it. Slipped it into my Series 3 (OLED) and all has worked good.

Let me ask this too. Is it recommended to do a FULL format of the drive (like I did with this one) before putting an image on it? I ask because about 2 months ago, I tried to use a spare Samsung 500GB drive in this Series 3 as well, but didn't do this extended formatting of it. Instead, I just basically quick formatted it, put the Series 3 image on it and put it in the Series 3 TiVo.

It worked for about a day or two before it gave me some reboot issues. Put the 250GB original drive back in and all worked good. I just chalked it up to maybe this Samsung drive not really being as compatible as a Western Digital drive, but maybe not. Just curious.

Writing an image to it (restoring a truncated .bak or .tbk image) should overwrite everything that needs to be overwritten without having to write all zeros to the drive first, but I don't guess blasting it with a taste of

/dev/zero

would hurt anything, just make it take longer.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote