TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
dawnnrebecca

Red face Iphone as a hotspot to download programming

Hi,

I've heard I can use my iphone 5 to download programming to my tivo under network settings. Right now, I don't have wifi. My Iphone signal is not appearing under networks and when I try to add it as a network it's not working. How do I do this? I have an older tivo.

thanks!
dawnnrebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
windracer
joined the 10k club

What model TiVo, and does it have a supported wireless adapter?

I've never done this, but you should be able to turn on the hotspot feature on your iPhone (Settings > General > Cellular, I think) if your plan allows that. Then your iPhone's wireless network should be available to the TiVo to connect to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
True Colors

dawnrebecca....... the thing that you are attempting to do......... i.e., using your cell phone to provide internet to another device........ is referred to as "tethering." I have done this myself from time to time.

Do you know if tethering is already included with your cell phone plan? Some cell phone plans include this automatically but others do not. So there is a chance that you may need to change your plan and/or pay extra.

If you are not sure if you have tethering then there is an easy way to find out....... you will need to follow the instructions given to you by windracer........

When you go into the settings of your phone .......... and you attempt to turn on the personal hotspot feature, then one of two things will happen.

If your plan includes tethering already....... then it will let you proceed. The phone will tell you its network name and its network password. You will enter this information into your Tivo just like you would with any other Wifi.

Or, if your cell phone plan does not include tethering already.......... then your phone will instruct you to call your provider and to add hot spot service(aka, tethering) to your plan.

Just out of curiousity, which cell phone company do you use, and which plan are you on?

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
dawnnrebecca

Yes I'm trying to do exactly that. I use my hotspot with my computer and it works great. I have a TiVo wireless adapter and a TiVo series 2. When I look under network settings I don't see my phone listed and I know the hotspot is on. I'm on Verizon plan with 4 or 6 data. Any ideas are really appreciated.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
dawnnrebecca

Yes the hotspot is included in the plan
Old 03-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
windracer
joined the 10k club

If the TiVo isn't automatically detecting your network, try going through the manual settings to add your wireless configuration and see if it will connect that way. Also make sure you phone is in range of the TiVo's wireless adapter.

|
Old 03-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
dawnnrebecca

Yes I've tried to do the manual setup. I'm not sure which options to pick such as encryption etc. I've tried several options and it didn't work.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
dawnnrebecca

Any other ideas?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
windracer
joined the 10k club

So when your iPhone's hotspot is on, when you go into the wireless network settings on the TiVo you don't see any wireless networks? Maybe if you detailed out the steps you've taken/tried we can make some suggestions.

|
Old 04-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #10
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnnrebecca View Post
Any other ideas?
Yeah. Get an internet connection.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
dawnnrebecca

Thank you. So far, I have tried turning the hotspot on and putting in right next to the tivo, above the tivo, around the room and the connection never shows up. It's odd because I tried this before dropping the internet, and it did show up, but now, it wont.

Then I tired to change the network setting by creating a new network. I tried with and without encryption. I tried the 40 128 and don't use encryption options, but every time, it comes up that there's not connection.

I've noticed that the tivo no longer lets me do manual entries to record a program, like big bang at Thurs 7. For the first several weeks, I could do a manual recording by time, but now, it wont' let me do that either.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #12
windracer
joined the 10k club

According to this, the iPhone hotspot is G/N compatible with WPA2 encryption. Your mention of 40- and 128-bit encryption methods sounds like you are trying to use the older WEP encryption. Your TiVo G adapter does support WPA2, so that should work but I can't explain why your hotspot doesn't appear on the TiVo's list of available wireless networks.

|
Old 04-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #13
True Colors

If you are determined to do this without purchasing regular, residential internet service, then there are maybe a couple of other things that you could try.

1 - try doing this with a different phone. Do you have any friends who have some type of android phone that could be used?

2 - purchase a mobile hotspot. Verizon sells a product called "jetpack."

http://support.verizonwireless.com/c....html?id=40685

This thing costs about a hundred bucks. It can do an assortment of different security settings(WEP, WPA, etc.). Perhaps this will overcome your problem.

Verizon WILL allow you to do prepaid service on the jetpack. So that means no contract, no activation fees, no credit check, no hassle. And if you only need this for your Tivo guide updates then their $15 plan per month will easily cover you.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/p...type=ppjetpack

TC

Last edited by True Colors : 04-18-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #14
dawnnrebecca

thanks all,

I'll have to try with a frien's phone. I tried WPA2 encryption with my hotspot name and password. It isn't working. Thanks again for trying and for your ideas!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #15
genebopp

I am just guessing and I am pretty much an apple hater, but I bet the Hot spot created by your phone is "peer to peer" instead of "infrastructure." I dont know if the Tivo adapter will allow you to connect to "peer to Peer" networks. Again, I am guessing. If you have a windows computer, look for available wireless networks. If the phone broadcasting an "infrastructure" network you will see the wireless network name with strength bars, if the phone is broadcasting a "peer to peer" network you will see a little cluster of computers. You would have to get the phone to broadcast an "infrastructure" network or buy a network bridge that will join a "peer to peer" network.
genebopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #16
shiffrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by genebopp View Post
I am just guessing and I am pretty much an apple hater, but I bet the Hot spot created by your phone is "peer to peer" instead of "infrastructure." I dont know if the Tivo adapter will allow you to connect to "peer to Peer" networks. Again, I am guessing. If you have a windows computer, look for available wireless networks. If the phone broadcasting an "infrastructure" network you will see the wireless network name with strength bars, if the phone is broadcasting a "peer to peer" network you will see a little cluster of computers. You would have to get the phone to broadcast an "infrastructure" network or buy a network bridge that will join a "peer to peer" network.
I've never tried the personal hotspot with my Tivo,but thought it would be nice to know the results of your suggestion in case it matters to me in the future. I turned on my hotspot on my iPhone and my Windows 7 computer shows the usual signal strength bars like my regular wireless network. So, I guess it is sending out an infrastructure signal.

I can't try this on my Tivo because I use a powerline ethernet adapter.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #17
True Colors

Here is a discussion from several years ago about this same topic.

Perhaps some useful information here.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=230410

TC