Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting

Cisco Tuning Adapter Status Troubleshooting - Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter

To help avoid potential Tuning Adapter connection failures, I recommend unplugging and rebooting the Tuning Adapter every 3-4 weeks.

12/13/13 Update: Cisco has released a new firmware that addresses tuning request failures:
The Newly Released Firmware is:
FLASH: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1901 (Cox AZ has released a newer firmware F.2001)
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...73#post9931673
TiVo seems to have mostly fixed the Tuning Adapter request failures with SW Vers: 20.3.8
-now will retry tuning requests after a Tuning Adapter fails to respond

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=512353
Installing the Cisco Tuning Adapter:
  • Not Using TiVo's On-board MoCA networking:
    If you have a 2 Tuner Premiere or Roamio Basic (or not using the onboard MoCA on the Premiere 4/XL4 or 6 Tuner Roamio Plus/Pro) use the TA's RF pass-thru, the Cisco TA has a signal amp of about 3dB, a splitter will reduce your signal by 3-4dB.
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5RO...YxRnpaNlk/edit
  • Using the TiVo's On-board MoCA networking:
    If you are using the onboard MoCA of the Premiere 4/XL4 or 6 Tuner Roamio Plus/Pro then you need to use a splitter, the Cisco TA will not pass MoCA frequencies. Using a MoCA POE Filter before the Tuning Adapter may be necessary as shown in the Cox install sheet. It was for me The excess MoCA noise caused my Tuning Adapter to fail tuning request for SDV channles. Once the POE Filter was in-place the TA worked fine again.
    http://media.cox.com/support/print_m...ourCiscoTA.pdf
  • Also, If you have a relatively high signal >3dBmV and don't mind the extra coax cabling, using a 2-way splitter would assure you do not loose a signal on non-SDV channels if the TA does go off-line. I find that rebooting the TA and TiVo every 3 weeks mostly eliminates the lost TA connections.

Cisco Tuning Adapter Front Panel Blink Codes

TiVo Central > Settings & Messages > Account & System Info > Tuning Adapter > Tuning Adapter Diagnostics

From the TiVo Tuning Adapter Diagnostics Menu the following value messages should read as follows, if the Tuning Adapter is communicating properly.
  • Status Summary > INITIALIZATION: Status: Ready
  • POST and Boot Results > BOOT STATUS UNcfg: Ready
  • RF Statistics > DAVIC: Connected, Status: Locked
Other values you may see when the Tuning Adapter is not communicating properly are below under DAVIC

Current FDC - Current Forward Data Channel information:

Freq is the frequency to which the QPSK receiver is tuned.

DAVIC is current DAVIC connection status. Generally, under normal operation, the status should be "Connected" in a two-way environment or "Ready - B'cast Only" in a one-way environment. Most of the other states are so short that they are not visible in the diagnostic screens without refreshing frequently. Possible values are:

Red indicates a common trouble status,
Connected is the DAVIC status you want to see.
  • "Searching Chnls" indicates that the Tuning Adapter is searching for a QPSK frequency containing valid DAVIC data.
  • "Booting" indicates that the Tuning Adapter is attempting to initiate a DAVIC connection.
  • "Provisioning" indicates that the Tuning Adapter is waiting for a DAVIC provision message.
  • "Dflt Cfg" indicates that the Tuning Adapter is waiting for a DAVIC default configuration message.
  • "Slow-Boot Wait" indicates that the Tuning Adapter is waiting for the slow-boot timeout period
  • "Sign-On" indicates that the Tuning Adapter is waiting for a DAVIC sign-on message from the DNCS.
  • "Resp" indicates that the Tuning Adapter has received a sign-on request and is waiting for a randomized timeout before sending the DAVIC sign-on response to the DNCS.
  • "Completion" indicates that the Tuning Adapter has sent the sign-on response and is waiting for a DAVIC initialization complete or DAVIC ranging and power-calibration message.
  • "Calib Power" indicates that the Tuning Adapter is calibrating its QPSK transmitter's power level for optimal performance.
  • "Waiting DNCS Conn" indicates that that the Tuning Adapter has adjusted its power, received the initialization completion message and is now waiting for the DNCS to send a DAVIC connect message to establish the default DNCS connection.
  • "DNCS Conf" indicates that the Tuning Adapter received the DAVIC connect message from the DNCS, responded with a DAVIC connect response message and is waiting for the DNCS to send a connect confirm message.
  • "Conn Confirm" indicates that the Tuning Adapter received a DAVIC connect message for a connection established by an active session, has sent a DAVIC connect response message and is waiting for a DAVIC connect confirm message to acknowledge that the session's connection is ready to use.
  • "Connected" indicates that a connection exists (the usual state in a two-way environment)
  • "Data Lock Lost" indicates that the Tuning Adapter has stopped receiving valid data and will need to re-establish a DAVIC connection when it finds valid data again. May require a reboot.
  • "Ready - B'cast Only" indicates that the Tuning Adapter failed to sign-on and is operating in one-way mode. A background timer will continue to try to sign-on periodically.
  • "Unauthorized" indicates that the Tuning Adapter is not authorized to sign-on with the DNCS.
  • "Unknown" indicates an unknown state (this should never be seen).

Status is "Locked" if the receiver is locked onto a frequency with valid QPSK data, or "Unlocked" if not.
  • Level is the approximate received signal level. If the value displayed is between -10dBmV and 10dBmV, the level is acceptable, closest to 0dBmV is optimal. If the value displayed is less than -10dBmV, or greater than 10dBmV the level is unacceptably too low or too high.
  • Seconds is the number of seconds that the frequency has been locked.
  • Corr Bytes is the number of bytes received in error that have been successfully corrected by the forward error correction (FEC) code.
  • Uncor Blks is the number of data blocks received in error that were unable to be corrected by the forward error correction (FEC) code.
  • S/N (Signal to Noise) should be greater than 30dB, 40dB would be optimal.

Understanding the Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter Diagnostic Screens
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/vide.../4025082_B.pdf

Tuning Adapter Reset:
1. Unplug the USB of the TA to the TiVo
2. Unplug the AC to the TA (not the TiVo)
3. Wait three minutes
4. Plug in the Power to the TA BUT NOT the USB
5. Wait three minutes. The TA should on it's own acquire its IP address (changes in the rate of flashing of the green led from slow to fast).
6. Plug in the USB to the TA from the TiVo

Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...28/7013834.pdf

Current Firmwares for the Cisco TA:
FLASH: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1402 (added 6 Tuner capability, FCC Mandate) May 27, 2011
and Image File Version: 1.0.0.1402

FLASH: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1501 (fixes stability and rebooting issues when using 4 tuners) ~Sept, 2011
and Image File Version: 1.0.0.1501
http://experts.windows.com/frms/wind...39/550141.aspx

"Cablevision is running firmware version STA1.0.0_1520.LR_F.BDSG 1501" Cablevision is running their TAs in DSG mode and not legacy OOB mode.
http://optimum.custhelp.com/app/answ...ning%20Adapter

FLASH: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1601 (fixes unknown at this point) Jan 31, 2012
and Image File Version: 1.0.0.1601
http://experts.windows.com/frms/wind.../t/102913.aspx

FLASH: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1901 (fixes tuning request failures) ~Nov 2013
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...73#post9931673

FLASH: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.2001 Date: 11/19/13 (fixes tuning request failures and added 8 Tuner capability)
and Image File Version: 1.0.0.2001
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...9#post10255169

Cisco 30 Watt Set-Top Power Supply - Liteon Model# 4019611B
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...63/7010514.pdf
Output Specifications
Nominal Output Voltage +12 V
Output Voltage Tolerance +/- 5 percent (11.4 to 12.6 V)
Minimum Load Current 0 A
Maximum load Current 2.5 A
Output Power Max Load 30 Watts
Peak Load Current 2.5 A
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cisco Tuning Adapter front panel blink codes.jpg (100.4 KB, 181 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 10-20-2014 at 02:12 AM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
Loach

Got anything similar for Cox Motorola TA's?
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

I've got nothing for Motorola, Sorry

Old 04-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I've got nothing for Motorola, Sorry
Figured it was unlikely. FWIW, you sure did a nice job with this Cisco post.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
swong_88

Hello all,

I just purchased my first Tivo last month. My current setup is going through Charter Communications with the following specs:

1 Tivo Roamio Plus
2 Tivo Minis going through on board Moca

Cisco Cable Card Version: OS Version PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101
Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter Version: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1601

The issue I am having is that sometimes the tuning adapter will not tune those nasty SDV channels. It will sometimes work and then sometimes it will not work. I currently do not have a splitter so the input of the Tivo Roamio is the RF output of the Tuning Adapter. Reading thread through the local thread on Cisco Tuning Adpaters, it suggests that the Moca signal is screwing up the tuning adapter and I should install a POE filter before the tuning adapter will help. I have already installed a POE filter outside on my house. It is connected on the main cable coming in from the street before it splits inside a box installed by Charter. Do I still need to buy another one to put before the Tuning Adapter??

Will the splitter help my situation as well?? I know that is not a Charter issue since those SDV channels do work if properly tuned.. I still have a Charter DVR box which can see all channels. If i use that to tune the SDV channel that i want, the Tivo will immediately see it.. Otherwise I see that message saying that the channel is not available, please press Select to tune again..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks in advance..
swong_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by swong_88 View Post
Hello all,

I just purchased my first Tivo last month. My current setup is going through Charter Communications with the following specs:

1 Tivo Roamio Plus
2 Tivo Minis going through on board Moca

Cisco Cable Card Version: OS Version PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101
Cisco STA1520 Tuning Adapter Version: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1601

The issue I am having is that sometimes the tuning adapter will not tune those nasty SDV channels. It will sometimes work and then sometimes it will not work. I currently do not have a splitter so the input of the Tivo Roamio is the RF output of the Tuning Adapter. Reading thread through the local thread on Cisco Tuning Adpaters, it suggests that the Moca signal is screwing up the tuning adapter and I should install a POE filter before the tuning adapter will help. I have already installed a POE filter outside on my house. It is connected on the main cable coming in from the street before it splits inside a box installed by Charter. Do I still need to buy another one to put before the Tuning Adapter??

Will the splitter help my situation as well?? I know that is not a Charter issue since those SDV channels do work if properly tuned.. I still have a Charter DVR box which can see all channels. If i use that to tune the SDV channel that i want, the Tivo will immediately see it.. Otherwise I see that message saying that the channel is not available, please press Select to tune again..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks in advance..
Read my current signature. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Poe filters can be used in more places than the point-of-entry. I have yet to find anybody using the OUT port of the Cisco TAs, plus MoCA, and not having issues (well, maybe one person, who just wanted to disagree).

Some need as many as three PoE filters here: Point-of-Entry, Cable Modem, Tuning Adapter.

Some using amplifiers need to move the amp upstream, and use another to keep the MoCA out of the amp.

Any device that isn't specified to be MoCA-ready/compatible, or to have a built in filter, has the potential to malfunction when exposed to MoCA frequencies, and the high MoCA signal strength. Amps are the most problematic. There is an amp (more of an equalizer) built into Cisco TAs with In & Out ports, which is why they don't play well with MoCA, requiring a splitter, filter, and not using the OUT port.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:09 PM   #7
swong_88

Thanks for the response... I will go and purchase another POE filter and splitter and see how it goes.. What kind of splitter would you recommend? I see alot of them on Amazon. is the 5Mhz to 900Mhz enough or would you recommend one of those 2Ghz guys.. Thanks for your help again...
Old 08-12-2014, 04:27 PM   #8
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Thanks for the response... I will go and purchase another POE filter and splitter and see how it goes.. What kind of splitter would you recommend? I see alot of them on Amazon. is the 5Mhz to 900Mhz enough or would you recommend one of those 2Ghz guys.. Thanks for your help again...
I recommend 1GHz. If you can get 1.2GHz for a little more, get that. 1000MHz=1GHz. Some splitters will say 5-1002MHz. Those are essentially 1GHz splitters trying to stand-out as better. Make sure it says "digital" somewhere on the splitter itself (not just the box it is in).

Do not get higher than 1.2GHz. Do not pay extra for something that says "MoCA-enabled" or "MoCA-enhanced", etc. It's the same deal as with HDMI cables that cost more, for the brand and enhancements that are BS.

One real problem is: I can't buy any splitters that work well for me, from retail stores, no matter what they cost. I either have to get one from a cableco van, the local Cox store, or mail-order them. Nothing Wal-mart, or the likes-of is worth the packaging it's in. Home Depot might have some good ones, if you are lucky.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-13-2014 at 02:40 AM. Reason: removed part from wrong thread
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:31 PM   #9
swong_88

Thanks for the quick reply... Currently, my Cisco tuning adapter has:

Firmware: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1601

If I could magically force Charter Cable to upgrade to:

STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1901

As suggested original poster, would that help things?? The first post did say that 1901 code fixed some kind of tuning issues... Well, I have purchased another POE filter and splitter... I will try them out and see how it goes.. Thanks again for your help..

Old 08-13-2014, 02:26 AM   #10
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply... Currently, my Cisco tuning adapter has:

Firmware: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1601

If I could magically force Charter Cable to upgrade to:

STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1901

As suggested original poster, would that help things?? The first post did say that 1901 code fixed some kind of tuning issues... Well, I have purchased another POE filter and splitter... I will try them out and see how it goes.. Thanks again for your help..

No software/firmware is ever going to change the fact that Cisco TAs have an equalizing amplifier inside, which are incompatible with MoCA, thus requiring using the splitter and filter, or not using MoCA.

MoCA-friendly amps exist, but they work by NOT amplifying the MoCA, and just letting it pass as-is. That's not the kind inside the TAs, so that's why firmware can't help it, even if the firmware turned the amp off.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #11
swong_88

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
No software/firmware is ever going to change the fact that Cisco TAs have an equalizing amplifier inside, which are incompatible with MoCA, thus requiring using the splitter and filter, or not using MoCA.

MoCA-friendly amps exist, but they work by NOT amplifying the MoCA, and just letting it pass as-is. That's not the kind inside the TAs, so that's why firmware can't help it, even if the firmware turned the amp off.
That makes sense.. Let me ask another question.. I have to say that I am not all that familiar with the way a MoCA network works at all... I have read things that say it resides in the 1.5Ghz range in the spectrum.. The POE filter is there in front of the house to present the MoCA signal from existing your house...

Now with the splitter setup, as far as my understanding goes, the splitter will only allow frequencies 5Mhz -> 1GHz through.. I think it will filter out the rest.. My question is that who generates the MoCA signal through the Coax at 1.5Ghz?? I believe it should be the Tivo Roamio that is doing it or is it the router.. Maybe I am wrong here. But if it is the Roamio with the splitter in front, how will the MoCA spread throughout the house?? Won't the splitter filter out the MoCA signal from the Roamio??

Should I be getting one of those 2Ghz splitters instead? From the prices now, the 2Ghz 2 way splitters don't cost that much more than the 1Ghz 2 way splitters. If the cost difference is not high, should I just get the 2Ghz one instead?

Thanks again for your help...

Last edited by swong_88 : 08-13-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:57 PM   #12
tarheelblue32

Quote:
That makes sense.. Let me ask another question.. I have to say that I am not all that familiar with the way a MoCA network works at all... I have read things that say it resides in the 1.5Ghz range in the spectrum.. The POE filter is there in front of the house to present the MoCA signal from existing your house...

Now with the splitter setup, as far as my understanding goes, the splitter will only allow frequencies 5Mhz -> 1GHz through.. I think it will filter out the rest.. My question is that who generates the MoCA signal through the Coax at 1.5Ghz?? I believe it should be the Tivo Roamio that is doing it or is it the router.. Maybe I am wrong here. But if it is the Roamio with the splitter in front, how will the MoCA spread throughout the house?? Won't the splitter filter out the MoCA signal from the Roamio??

Should I be getting one of those 2Ghz splitters instead? From the prices now, the 2Ghz 2 way splitters don't cost that much more than the 1Ghz 2 way splitters. If the cost difference is not high, should I just get the 2Ghz one instead?

Thanks again for your help...

There was recently a long discussion on MoCA splitters you can find here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=519676

But the short answer is that 1Ghz splitters do not block frequencies over 1Ghz the way that a POE filter is designed to do. MoCA was designed to work with the 1Ghz splitters that were already in place, and using a high-frequency splitter designed to work with satellite signals is unnecessary, and may have potential drawbacks. There are also 1.2Ghz "MoCA enabled" splitters that you can get, but they probably provide more marketing hype than any actual benefits for MoCA.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:47 PM   #13
swong_88

Yeah, I just finished reading that other thread. Who knew that something as simple as a splitter could make things so complicated.. Thanks for the suggestion... I ended up buying that MCR one that was linked. Says it will pass 5Mhz -> 1.2Ghz. Crossing my fingers that things will work out..
Old 08-17-2014, 06:05 PM   #14
franklin_p

I am getting a CC and TA installed on 8/27 for a Tivo Roamio Plus.

I have an ethernet line in the room wired from my cable modem.

In this case is this how everything should be connected?

Cable coax into TA and out of TA into Tivo.
USB from TA to Tivo
Ethernet (Internet) into Tivo.

Not sure exactly what Moca is.
franklin_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:23 PM   #15
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_p View Post
I am getting a CC and TA installed on 8/27 for a Tivo Roamio Plus.

I have an ethernet line in the room wired from my cable modem.

In this case is this how everything should be connected?

Cable coax into TA and out of TA into Tivo.
USB from TA to Tivo
Ethernet (Internet) into Tivo.

Not sure exactly what Moca is.
Simply put, MoCA is just a networking method that uses high frequency, high power, signals to use your coax for networking (requiring less use of ethernet cables).

Even if you don't use it, your Roamio Plus has it.

As my current signature spells-out, it is often best to eliminate use of the OUT port of the TA, and just split the coax with one leg to the TA-IN, and the other leg to the TiVo. All the required communication between TiVo and TA is done via USB cable. Use of the TA-OUT port is not required, will not cause loss of anything, if not used, and often causes problems, if used.

Even if you didn't have a MoCA-enabled TiVo, or just didn't use MoCA, I still advise not using the TA-OUT for the TiVo connection (just don't use it for connecting anything).

If you have & use MoCA, and your TA has a coax OUT port, it's often important to have two MoCA PoE filters. One goes at the actual point of entry to the house. The other goes on the leg of the splitter that goes to the TA-IN port, to keep MoCA frequencies out of it. If your TA is a Cisco model, the internal amp does not have a built-in filter, and the MoCA signals can do one of two things, often both:

1. The Cisco TA may malfunction, due to it not being equipped to "deal with" MoCA.
2. Your MoCA may not work, or will work very poorly, as the internal amp of the TA will hinder the MoCA from getting through.

MoCA PoE filters can be placed on any device that malfunctions when MoCA is in use. This includes: tuning adapters, cable modems, EMTAs / internet telephone adapters, signal amplifiers, and more. Anything that doesn't have a built in MoCA adapter (to be part of MoCA network), or doesn't have a built in filter (the devices that do have the filters make sure to state they do).
Old 08-19-2014, 10:41 AM   #16
swong_88

Quote:

So all of the POE filters and splitters finally came in the mail. I have set everything up as you described. I have a splitter so that one output will go to the input of the Tuning Adapter while the output goes to the Tivo Roamio Plus. The splitter I bought was one that was recommended in MoCA Networking/Splitter TivoCommunity thread:

http://www.amt.com/images/products//...Data_Sheet.pdf

You had mentioned it would work but not to expect miracles. I have a POE filter between the splitter output and the input to the Tuning Adapter.

It seems like it is better as most of the SDV that were not tuning before are but there are still a few channels that will not tune. There is 1 random HBO, 1 random Cinemax and at least 1 random Showtime. If I went to the one Cable box in the house and tuned that channel, then the Tivo would suddenly pick up the channel. It still feels like either the request from the Tuning Adapter to the outlet in the street is not working or the request from the Tivo to Tuning Adapter is not working. Not sure which.. Any suggestions on what else it could be?? Could it be that Tuning Adapter tuning issue that was suppose to be solved with the new firmware?? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited by swong_88 : 08-19-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #17
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
So all of the POE filters and splitters finally came in the mail. I have set everything up as you described. I have a splitter so that one output will go to the input of the Tuning Adapter while the output goes to the Tivo Roamio Plus. The splitter I bought was one that was recommended in MoCA Networking/Splitter TivoCommunity thread:

http://www.amt.com/images/products//...Data_Sheet.pdf

You had mentioned it would work but not to expect miracles. I have a POE filter between the splitter output and the input to the Tuning Adapter.

It seems like it is better as most of the SDV that were not tuning before are but there are still a few channels that will not tune. There is 1 random HBO, 1 random Cinemax and at least 1 random Showtime. If I went to the one Cable box in the house and tuned that channel, then the Tivo would suddenly pick up the channel. It still feels like either the request from the Tuning Adapter to the outlet in the street is not working or the request from the Tivo to Tuning Adapter is not working. Not sure which.. Any suggestions on what else it could be?? Could it be that Tuning Adapter tuning issue that was suppose to be solved with the new firmware?? Any help would be greatly appreciated...
It sounds like a call to your cable provider is in order. Have them check your signals, and write them down, then post them here. You can read some of your signals on your own. It's just more thorough for them to read all of them, and they'll be quick to notice anything out of range. TiVo has it's own range, which is more finicky than their box's ranges of "proper operating" ranges. This can result in the behavior you describe. Once you have the readings they give you, if I see anything missing, I'll tell you what signals to check on your own, and where.

Most decent providers will do a truck roll, if your signal is out of range bad enough, without a charge, especially if you have any leased/price-included box of theirs in your home. They generally start at the pole/box that leads to your home, and analyze the signal, working towards the house. If they have to come inside, make sure that they will not charge you, before letting them in. They can't charge for any problems found outside the home, or that they can fix from outside the home. Once they have to come inside (if they do), most still don't charge. I just prefer to be thorough. If they see bad values, on their own box, on their TA, or on your cable modem, or some combination of these, you might be able to get it resolved by them, at no charge.

Who knows ... you might have a signal issue, that will never be detected and corrected, unless you make the call.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #18
swong_88

Quote:
It sounds like a call to your cable provider is in order. Have them check your signals, and write them down, then post them here. You can read some of your signals on your own. It's just more thorough for them to read all of them, and they'll be quick to notice anything out of range. TiVo has it's own range, which is more finicky than their box's ranges of "proper operating" ranges. This can result in the behavior you describe. Once you have the readings they give you, if I see anything missing, I'll tell you what signals to check on your own, and where.

Most decent providers will do a truck roll, if your signal is out of range bad enough, without a charge, especially if you have any leased/price-included box of theirs in your home. They generally start at the pole/box that leads to your home, and analyze the signal, working towards the house. If they have to come inside, make sure that they will not charge you, before letting them in. They can't charge for any problems found outside the home, or that they can fix from outside the home. Once they have to come inside (if they do), most still don't charge. I just prefer to be thorough. If they see bad values, on their own box, on their TA, or on your cable modem, or some combination of these, you might be able to get it resolved by them, at no charge.

Who knows ... you might have a signal issue, that will never be detected and corrected, unless you make the call.
Thank you very much for the advice.. Are there some numbers from the Tuning Adapter diagnostics or the Cable Card diagnostics that I can read off?? I have not had the time to call my cable company to have them come out and read the signal levels going to my house.. They are also very iffy about these service calls. They tried to charge me $45.00 for coming out the last time. Had to argue with their customer rep guys after wards when the charge suddenly showed up on my bill. The guy who came did not even tell me that he would charge me but I guess it was partly my fault for not specifically asking..
Old 08-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #19
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
... Are there some numbers from the Tuning Adapter diagnostics that I can read off??
Yes:
TiVo Central > Settings & Messages > Account & System Info > Tuning Adapter > Tuning Adapter Diagnostics > RF Statistics

Current FDC - values

Currrent QAM - values - This value is only one of the Tuners, you would need to change channels on the TiVo until this value changes.

Current RDC -values

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 08-20-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #20
swong_88

Quote:
Yes:
TiVo Central > Settings & Messages > Account & System Info > Tuning Adapter > Tuning Adapter Diagnostics > RF Statistics

Current FDC - values

Currrent QAM - values - This value is only one of the Tuners, you would need to change channels on the TiVo until this value changes.

Current RDC -values
Thank you very much.. I will look when I go home tonight to see what values are present. Should I try to tune to those nasty SDV channels and compare them to the non SDV channels?? If seems like if someone in the neighborhood is tuning that channel, the Roamio Plus can see it fine.. It is when no one is tuning that channel, that is when the issue occurs.. To record my kid's morning cartoons on the Hub network, I have to go and tune that channel on my one Charter Cable box before the Roamio Plus can see it and record it...

On a side note, I could not help but notice that your signature says that you have Roamio Pro + XL4 Premiere.. I was thinking of doing this as well. Can the Roamio Pro see the shows recorded by the XL4 premiere and vice versa? The minis can just tune to the DVR that you want but I was not sure if the Roamio Pro or XL4 could also do that or not. Thanks again for the help...
Old 08-20-2014, 08:40 PM   #21
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Thank you very much.. I will look when I go home tonight to see what values are present. Should I try to tune to those nasty SDV channels and compare them to the non SDV channels??
Yes, you should tune several different channels including SDV channels.
For the Current QAM: value, all frequencies (channels) tuned, should be within a range that is only a few dBmV of each other.
Ideally these values should be as close to 0dBmV (zero) as possible, but the acceptable tolerance is -10dBmV to 10dBmV
(Cisco states -15dBmV and 15dBmV, but above or below -+10dB, IMO you should have your signals corrected by your cable provider.)

Quote:
If seems like if someone in the neighborhood is tuning that channel, the Roamio Plus can see it fine.. It is when no one is tuning that channel, that is when the issue occurs.. To record my kid's morning cartoons on the Hub network, I have to go and tune that channel on my one Charter Cable box before the Roamio Plus can see it and record it...
In my experience, when my Tuning Adapter is not working properly, it still will not tune to a SDV channel even if I do tune it on a cable provided STB. YMMV. Rebooting my TA will always fix this. I reboot my TAs every 3-4 weeks and rarely have any tuning issues when I do that.

Quote:
On a side note, I could not help but notice that your signature says that you have Roamio Pro + XL4 Premiere.. I was thinking of doing this as well. Can the Roamio Pro see the shows recorded by the XL4 premiere and vice versa? The minis can just tune to the DVR that you want but I was not sure if the Roamio Pro or XL4 could also do that or not. Thanks again for the help...
At this point I would not purchase an XL4, it is just too slow, and a base Roamio can be purchased for the same or less anyway.

But, yes a second and third... TiVo DVR has access to all the recordings on all other Premieres and Roamios just as a Mini would.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:13 PM   #22
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Thank you very much for the advice.. Are there some numbers from the Tuning Adapter diagnostics or the Cable Card diagnostics that I can read off?? I have not had the time to call my cable company to have them come out and read the signal levels going to my house.. They are also very iffy about these service calls. They tried to charge me $45.00 for coming out the last time. Had to argue with their customer rep guys after wards when the charge suddenly showed up on my bill. The guy who came did not even tell me that he would charge me but I guess it was partly my fault for not specifically asking..
It seems that CoxInPhx got to answer for me. I agree with what he posted. My own very recent refresher course led me here: http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/.../4025082_B.pdf

It's the actual manual for a Cisco STA1520, and nearly all the questions you may have about your TA can be found inside. I suggest you start there, then ask question back here, if you don't understand some things in the manual.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:53 AM   #23
swong_88

Quote:
It seems that CoxInPhx got to answer for me. I agree with what he posted. My own very recent refresher course led me here: http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/.../4025082_B.pdf

It's the actual manual for a Cisco STA1520, and nearly all the questions you may have about your TA can be found inside. I suggest you start there, then ask question back here, if you don't understand some things in the manual.
Ok, I have read through that entire document and jotted some things down.. Can't say for certain what the issue is still. I took down the following stats while trying to tune into a SDV that did not work. I can only tune this channel if I go to the Charter Cable box and tune this channel. Roamio will suddenly pick it up when this happens..

Initialization:
Status: Ready - B'Cast only (document did not list this as an option)

Boot Status:
UNCFG: BroadCast
BFS: REady
SI: Ready
SAM: Ready QPSK

Network Tuning Status:
Tuning Mode: QAM-256
Tuner State: Idle/Available
TV Mrg: Ready
Channel: N/A

RF Statistics:
Current FDC:
Freq: 110.00 Mhz
DAVIC: Connected
Level: -6dbmV
S/N: 32db
Current QAM:
Freq: 733.75Mhz
Tuning Mode: QAM-256
Level: 1dbmV
S/N: 37dB
EQ Gain: 1.0
Current RDC:
Freq: 11.5 Mhz
Power: 41dbmV
Delay: 614 usec
Retrans: 0

Looking through some of the other menus about the Tuning Adapter status, I can see that the field:

lastLoadErr: OutofState

In the UDCP Status Diagnostics Screen, I can see that status of all 6 SDV Sessions and all of them have:

LastErr: ChanNotAvail

So with this, can you guys see anything that is really wrong?? It looks like the levels reported the RF statistics are all within range.. I do wonder about that status it shows in the Initialization screen.. Ready - B'Cast only... Thanks for you guys can provide me.. I really do appreciate it...
Old 08-22-2014, 04:24 AM   #24
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
So with this, can you guys see anything that is really wrong?? It looks like the levels reported the RF statistics are all within range.. I do wonder about that status it shows in the Initialization screen.. Ready - B'Cast only... Thanks for you guys can provide me.. I really do appreciate it...
B'cast only (Should say Ready) means your Tuning Adapter has not received authorization (possibly due to other problems) to access the full lineup. It's hobbled, possibly requiring a call to your provider to make sure the TA S/N & your cablecard S/N are associated to each other (not all markets require this). It's better than the aptly-named "brick mode", where you wouldn't even get access to see the diag screens, though.

Are those frequency values under RF statistics staying locked to those frequencies, or are they changing? You have to refresh the screen, or move away and back to see things change, as the TA diag screens don't auto-refresh, and only display the values at the time you request them (a snapshot).

If they are moving to different frequencies, there's a problem. Best bet is to call your provider and make sure things look right to them (they can see all that you can see, plus what the return signal level is at their end). The things they can't see are the cablecard and TiVo values. The bonus of having a TA, is the provider is no longer blind to what's going on, since the TA communicates both ways.

What are the TA values (that have values) at the bottom of DVR Diagnostics?
What frequencies and values are the cablecard entries in DVR Diags (the ones that have the same names as the ones in TA Diags)?

EDIT/ADD: I see a few things that look "wrong", but that's based on what I'm used to seeing in my market. CoxInPhx will probably come back with a far better answer than mine. I still recommend making a call to your provider, though. They might spot something and be able to help you out, or they might have an error in how your equipment is provisioned, which only they can find and fix. I've had to be re-provisioned, even after I was correctly provisioned. If you hooked up the TA, but never made a call to your provider, sometimes you wind up with it working for a while, or working partially, until it fails to get fully authorized, and can wind up timing-out, then next stage is going into "brick mode".

EDIT/ADD, part 2: Have you checked your other splitters, making sure you found every one between your TiVo & TA, all the way back to the point of entry?

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-22-2014 at 04:51 AM. Reason: see edit/add
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #25
swong_88

Quote:
B'cast only (Should say Ready) means your Tuning Adapter has not received authorization (possibly due to other problems) to access the full lineup. It's hobbled, possibly requiring a call to your provider to make sure the TA S/N & your cablecard S/N are associated to each other (not all markets require this). It's better than the aptly-named "brick mode", where you wouldn't even get access to see the diag screens, though.

Are those frequency values under RF statistics staying locked to those frequencies, or are they changing? You have to refresh the screen, or move away and back to see things change, as the TA diag screens don't auto-refresh, and only display the values at the time you request them (a snapshot).

What are the TA values (that have values) at the bottom of DVR Diagnostics?
What frequencies and values are the cablecard entries in DVR Diags (the ones that have the same names as the ones in TA Diags)?

EDIT/ADD: I see a few things that look "wrong", but that's based on what I'm used to seeing in my market. CoxInPhx will probably come back with a far better answer than mine. I still recommend making a call to your provider, though. They might spot something and be able to help you out, or they might have an error in how your equipment is provisioned, which only they can find and fix. I've had to be re-provisioned, even after I was correctly provisioned. If you hooked up the TA, but never made a call to your provider, sometimes you wind up with it working for a while, or working partially, until it fails to get fully authorized, and can wind up timing-out, then next stage is going into "brick mode".

EDIT/ADD, part 2: Have you checked your other splitters, making sure you found every one between your TiVo & TA, all the way back to the point of entry?
Thanks for helping me look at this.. As far as the frequencies in the RF Statistics, only the Current QAM one changes when I switch channels and then go back into diagnostics.. The current RDC and FDC always stays the same after refreshing.

The TA was installed by the Charter Cable people. They were talking to the tech support on their side when they were setting things up. The TA diags match the DVR diagnostics as well. I will probably have to give them a call to see if they can resolve things. It does seem like it is not provisioned correctly.

As for the splitters, there is the main one installed on the outside of my house from Charter. It splits the main cable from the side of the street into my house. It is some kind of power amplifier.

FWD: 5 - 1002Mhz
RTN: 5 - 42Mhz

I have a POE filter between the main cable and the input into the amplified splitter. Then I have that splitter I mentioned a few posts ago to split signal coming from the wall between the TA and the Tivo Roamio unit.. There is another POE filter on the input to the TA...

Thanks for your help again..

Last edited by swong_88 : 08-22-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:17 PM   #26
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

The first Post has the values you should be seeing, yours do not match and you need the Cable Co to authorize/provision the TA on your account properly.

Status Summary >
INITIALIZATION

POST and Boot Results >
BOOT STATUS
UNcfg: Ready (BroadCast or B'cast is not correct)

RF Statistics >
DAVIC: Connected

Old 08-22-2014, 08:01 PM   #27
swong_88

I have called the cable company. They are coming on Sunday. They tries through the phone and nothing changed. Could it be that the tuning adapter is not able to obtain an IP address??? On one of the diag screens I remember seeing IP addresses of 0.0.0.0 along with the sub mask being all zeroes.. Have to hope the tech guy coming knows what he is doing. If they are just going to reset tuning adapter and TiVo, it is not going to help...
Old 08-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #28
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

The TA will not have an Ethernet IP it should be all zeros

But it should have an RF Network IP address and Subnet Mask

Your EMMs should not be zero either

Old 08-23-2014, 12:28 PM   #29
swong_88

Quote:
The TA will not have an Ethernet IP it should be all zeros

But it should have an RF Network IP address and Subnet Mask

Your EMMs should not be zero either
In the RF Network IP address and Subnet Mask, it lists:

n/a

for both of them.. It seems that both Tuning Adapter and the RF network have a MAC address though. For the EMMs, I see that:

Received EMMs: 10
ISE EMMs: 10
ESE EMMs: 0

Just trying to get as much information as possible so that when the tech guys come, I will have some suggestions for them. I have noticed that many of the cable tech guys that come out have no experience with tuning adapters or cable cards. Thanks once again.. hoping for the best..

Last edited by swong_88 : 08-23-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #30
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
In the RF Network IP address and Subnet Mask, it lists:

n/a

for both of them.. It seems that both Tuning Adapter and the RF network have a MAC address though. For the EMMs, I see that:

Received EMMs: 10
ISE EMMs: 10
ESE EMMs: 0

Just trying to get as much information as possible so that when the tech guys come, I will have some suggestions for them. I have noticed that many of the cable tech guys that come out have no experience with tuning adapters or cable cards. Thanks once again.. hoping for the best..
If it doesn't have an RF address, that's more pointing to "not right".

As for MAC addresses, those are burned-into the TA. You couldn't lose those if you tried.

I see you updated an earlier post to include that you have an amp just inside the point of entry. The specs seem like the amp should be fine, for bidirectional devices. I'm not sure how great it is at dealing with the MoCA, though. Amps + MoCA can start having all sorts of weird phenomenon happen, if the amp is not designed to at least handle MoCA between the OUT ports (most aren't, and if they aren't, but do work, it's by luck). Does your TA magically "work" if you take MoCA out of the equation, or was this something that all began when you added MoCA? I've tried to scan prior posts for what the deal was before you found your way here, but can't seem to find what you had working, before the problem, and a complete picture of what changed.

The equipment in use, how it was configured, and how things were working "before" a problem, are often more telling than what you can find in the "after". If things were working before, the real question is "what changed?", or more importantly, "what change caused this?".

If the amp was installed by Comcast, I'm hoping they install a new one. Perhaps yours was "on the edge", and the MoCA pushed it over (or it's just having the phenomenon I speak of)...

When people have an amp with a single OUT port, at the PoE, I advise them to put the PoE filter on the OUT, which keeps MoCA out of the amp (and still does the job the PoE filter is for at PoE, since it blocks from either direction. This works so well, because all the splitting is done after the amp.

Since you have somebody coming out, I suggest taking notes, and even pictures of the "before", so you can see what they changed and left you with "after". While what they tell you they did is worth taking notes on, it's better to see it for yourself.