TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
tech1029

2 of my lifetimes no longer activated?

Two days ago I turn on my 5 year old lifetime series 2 to be greeted to a message of PLEASE ACTIVATE SERVICE. Being 2AM I forced a network connection and all went well. I did notice under system information my account status was 5: product lifetime but my service level was A:- After the connection my service level changed to C:XXXXXX the X's are numbers that may need to remain private.

Today I wake up and turn on my 4 year old LIFETIME Tivo HD and notice it did not record Psych last night. I tried to check the the history but the menus are not all there. I went back to regular TV tried the guide and PLEASE ACTIVATE SERVICE pops up. I have the same service level showing A:-

I called Tivo because this is just weird but its to early and they are not open yet. I forced a network connection but this time IT DID NOT WORK. The Tivo web site shows all 3 of my Tivos activated with lifetime service but I'm waiting for the 3rd shoe to drop tomorrow and lose service on my Premier.

None of my Tivo's have lost network connections. They show successful connections prior to me forcing a connection to restore. I have to assume the last connection DEACTIVATED my service. There were never any warnings that I was missing guide data of have not been connected of have not "called home" for an extended period of time.

Is this a server issue at Tivo? Dumb luck?
tech1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Did you reboot? This happens once in awhile (proably less than once a year or two) and rebooting always fixes it for me.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Happened to me today too. TivoHD, monthly not lifetime. I forced a connect and it's almost done loading info...
Old 04-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
tatergator1

There have been reports over the last several months from several users of thier Lifetime units losing their status. Tivo is aware of the problem, but who knows when it will be remedied. Usually requires a couple forced connections to restore the status.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

It finished loading - no joy. Trying a reboot...

...and we're good. Well that was weird.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
lessd

Had this problem with a TP-4 a few days ago, the TiVo CSR knew all about it and was easy to fix (for me not my wife who was mad), this can be a trust issue with TiVo as in will my TiVo work as my wife thought her remote was NG because most of the buttons would not work. People do not look at the TiVo SI screen each day to check things out.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:53 PM   #7
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Edit: This has now happened to me on one box. Reboot and reconnect resolved it.
Premiere (320GB) w/ MoCA adapter
Mini

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.

Last edited by Arcady : 04-13-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
nycityuser

Happened to both of my TiVo HDs

This happened last Saturday in the early morning to one of my TiVo HDs on monthly service for $6.95/month. This morning (also a Saturday AM) it happened to my other TiVo HD, also on monthly service.

This is NOT good. Last Saturday I was out of town so nothing recorded on one TiVo until I returned Tuesday night and figured out how to fix it. I tried calling TiVo but, of course, they were closed. I rebooted and it worked. I am currently rebooting my other TiVo unit.

Why is this happening all of a sudden?
nycityuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycityuser View Post
This happened last Saturday in the early morning to one of my TiVo HDs on monthly service for $6.95/month. This morning (also a Saturday AM) it happened to my other TiVo HD, also on monthly service.

This is NOT good. Last Saturday I was out of town so nothing recorded on one TiVo until I returned Tuesday night and figured out how to fix it. I tried calling TiVo but, of course, they were closed. I rebooted and it worked. I am currently rebooting my other TiVo unit.

Why is this happening all of a sudden?
The TiVo CSR told me that TiVo is working on this problem and admits that TiVo has this problem, that is better than if the TiVo CSR said that TiVo never heard of the problem, you are the first.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:16 AM   #10
tech1029

When I talked to TiVo they said it happens some times but he never saw it happen to 2 units in the same household in thes same week. I was told to force 2 connections and reboot and it should never happen again. At least he has never gotten a callback was how he put it to me. Being that my series 2 had reactivated on my first connection (before calling tivo for the fix) I didn't bother with the second forced connection or reboot and now it's deactivated again!
tech1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:14 AM   #11
replaytv
Bang/Bounce/Thump

I had two Premieres' with lifetime that hadn't connected to Tivo for a month or so not have the ability to record of any sort until I let them talk to TiVo!
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #12
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
I had two Premieres' with lifetime that hadn't connected to Tivo for a month or so not have the ability to record of any sort until I let them talk to TiVo!
That normal, any TiVo (except some older ones like Series 1 and some Series 2 TiVos) with service that goes about 30 days without calling home will get lock down until the TiVo calls home again, one reason for this is if the TiVo had its service changed to another box (for any reason) and the first TiVo did not call home you could use it as an almost full functioning TiVo forever, now you could only use for about 30 days if you disconnected the TiVo from the internet.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #13
replaytv
Bang/Bounce/Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
That normal, any TiVo (except some older ones like Series 1 and some Series 2 TiVos) with service that goes about 30 days without calling home will get lock down until the TiVo calls home again, one reason for this is if the TiVo had its service changed to another box (for any reason) and the first TiVo did not call home you could use it as an almost full functioning TiVo forever, now you could only use for about 30 days if you disconnected the TiVo from the internet.
As long as the TiVo doesn't have the newer software Premieres and other TiVo will work like a VCR as long as they show a open account and you don't let them connect to the 'Mother ship'. (which is ironic that a TiVo with lifetime but disconnected from TiVo has less feature than a TiVo without paid service.!) I have a Premiere sitting next to me that operates fine like VCR. I can't update the time easily or see what show was recorded though. I don't use it as I have 10 TiVos with lifetime or evaluation. I only bought it to have it available when I buy my next Series 1 that can have the lifetime transferabled into it. Although maybe I should buy a used XL or 4 tuner Premier instead for that purpose.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #14
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech1029 View Post
Two days ago I turn on my 5 year old lifetime series 2 to be greeted to a message of PLEASE ACTIVATE SERVICE. Being 2AM I forced a network connection and all went well. I did notice under system information my account status was 5: product lifetime but my service level was A:- After the connection my service level changed to C:XXXXXX the X's are numbers that may need to remain private.

Is this a server issue at Tivo? Dumb luck?
I had this happen to a couple of my units about a month or two ago.
The Tivo CSR knew about the problem, but told me it only happened to lifetime service. He told me it had something to do with a daily call that did not complete fully (not sure if he knew exactly or this was a working theory).
But the remedy is 2 forced calls and a reboot. ( this probably fixes a lot o Tivo bugs)
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #15
replaytv
Bang/Bounce/Thump

I bought a used TiVo DT Series 2 and was told it had lifetime by Tivo. I just plugged it in and it now doesn't have lifetime. I forced it to call TiVo a couple of times and still no lifetime. So then I forced a reboot. Still no lifetime. I called Tivo and apparently the Tivo rep that I talked to before was mistaken in this having lifetime. So I have another parts box...not that I need one... Oh well.... anyone in the Denver area want it for free? I won't ship it.