TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #31
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Old Tivos had to do an analog-to-digital conversion to store it on disk, so you could specify compression. Tivos now get a digital compressed mpeg2 stream (usually) and the only way to do what you suggest is to transcode to h.264 which takes a lot of horsepower to do without custom SOCs.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #32
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
If they were going to do this they would have done it years ago, it's just not important to them (or is too difficult to incorporate into their file-handling code).

I think a lot of the software devs here fail to understand why they can't do this because the fix appears straightforward from the outside looking in, but they have their reasons.

I've often wondered if their reasons are patent related....
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #33
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Old Tivos had to do an analog-to-digital conversion to store it on disk, so you could specify compression. Tivos now get a digital compressed mpeg2 stream (usually) and the only way to do what you suggest is to transcode to h.264 which takes a lot of horsepower to do without custom SOCs.
Actually, all but the Elite have an analog to digital converter.. You wouldn't really need to transcode it, *with slightly different hardware* you could essentially reroute the analog outputs back through the A/D converter.. That's what my XS32 does when you do rate-conversion dubbing (which is realtime of course).

Yes it would be hokey, but would be useful for space reasons.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #34
jmpage2

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I ran into something similar and thought best to add to this thread than create a new one.

I'm confused about how this works as for the first time ever I ran into a similar problem in which two of my season pass shows had a minute clipped at the start of the program.

The wrinkle with my setup is that I have a 4-tuner Elite but have one tuner unavailable so that TiVo Minis can watch Live TV.

Here's the full gist of what happened;

1. An episode of "The Office" was recording from 8:29 to 9:01 This show has a 1 minute pad at the beginning and end of the program.

2. I had two season passes scheduled to record at 9:00 PM... "Hannibal" and "Elementary". Neither of these shows has padding.

3. What TiVo did was clip a minute from BOTH Elementary and Hannibal.... but at most only one show should have been clipped.... I have three tuners available.

Can anyone explain what happened? Should I shut clipping off? This was really annoying.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #35
aaronwt
HD Addict

No idea what the issue was but from what you said I wouldn't have expected it to be clipped since you have three tuners available for recording and only three shows to record. Personally I prefer not to miss any part of a show so I've always had clipping turned off.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #36
mattack

This doesn't answer your question at all, but I could swear that one or BOTH of Hannibal or Elementary "officially" starts at 9:01 (in your time zone, 10:01 in mine).

Are you sure there wasn't something else clipping it?
Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #37
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
This doesn't answer your question at all, but I could swear that one or BOTH of Hannibal or Elementary "officially" starts at 9:01 (in your time zone, 10:01 in mine).

Are you sure there wasn't something else clipping it?
I'm sure. The only recording happening before those programs began was "The Office".... and, there was only one red record LED lit on the front of the TiVo prior to those programs beginning.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #38
Bigg

TiVo is so dumb. It should be able to use the same tuner to record to two shows at once off the same channel for that one minute in the middle. I doubt it would be rocket science to do.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #39
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
TiVo is so dumb. It should be able to use the same tuner to record to two shows at once off the same channel for that one minute in the middle. I doubt it would be rocket science to do.
You're right, this is probably my #1 wish nowadays (since we now have a "ton" of tuners).. But IIRC, NOT all other DVRs do this either. Some do, but some don't.

Heck, at least when it *first* came out (I do not know if this has been fixed), Primetime Anytime on DISH did *not* properly save off 'padding'. (Recording all of primetime, then even "manually" saving off shows with padding on each end pretty much solves the tuner dilemma.)

So basically, Tivo's not worse than most of them.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #40
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
You're right, this is probably my #1 wish nowadays (since we now have a "ton" of tuners).. But IIRC, NOT all other DVRs do this either. Some do, but some don't.

Heck, at least when it *first* came out (I do not know if this has been fixed), Primetime Anytime on DISH did *not* properly save off 'padding'. (Recording all of primetime, then even "manually" saving off shows with padding on each end pretty much solves the tuner dilemma.)

So basically, Tivo's not worse than most of them.
Agreed. It just seems that TiVo should be ahead of the pack and held to a higher standard since they are selling a premium, "aftermarket" product that's not just another crappy MSO box.

DISH's Hopper is a neat device, but it's basically a 2-tuner box, as PTAT uses one, so you're left with 2 tuners for everything else, I'd much rather have TiVo's 4 tuners.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote