TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
sbiller

New Ad Agency Will Help TiVo Market New Product Offerings & Reengage with Consumers

AdAge published this article today that TiVo has selected indie agency Olson to revive its brand.

http://adage.com/article/agency-news...-brand/240760/

Quote:
Minneapolis-based Olson is expected to create marketing around these and other new TiVo products. The agency will be handling advertising, digital, media, PR and social media for the DVR pioneer. TiVo previously handled advertising and digital in-house[.]
Quote:
"We were impressed by the depth and breadth of Olson's ideas and their ability to seamlessly integrate the multiple aspects of our market differentiation and bold plans for the future," said Doug Bieter, TiVo's VP-consumer sales and marketing. By retaining an agency of Olson's stature, we are consolidating best-in-class advertising, digital and PR strategies that will be a tremendous asset as we build our brand and spread the word about the distinct value of the TiVo experience."

sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Someone needs to handle their Facebook page. It's pathetic. I haven't looked in a while but every single time Tivo posts something, it's followed up by dozens of neative comments by people who are unhappy with Tivo. Yet, they keep posting....
Old 04-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Someone needs to handle their Facebook page. It's pathetic. I haven't looked in a while but every single time Tivo posts something, it's followed up by dozens of neative comments by people who are unhappy with Tivo. Yet, they keep posting....
Yep. Facebook is a mess. Per this article, http://www.mediabistro.com/agencyspy...-duties_b46851, it will be a multi-channel effort. I expect Facebook will be addressed by Olson as well.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Not many people know exactly what a TiVo is.

I hope part of their new gig is to change this.
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
jrtroo
User

The status quo was certainly not getting it done.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
jcthorne

Great to see Tivo getting professional help on this. THEY NEED IT.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotNowChief View Post
Not many people know exactly what a TiVo is.
Funny story... I was at NAB this week. We were talking with a client and he mentioned that he had interest from a church for something and wanted to know if we could develop it. He said that the church had a main "office" which broadcasts a sermon every Sunday over a private satellite network. The affiliated churches then tune that "station" and play it back for local attendees. However they wanted to add the ability for the local preacher to pause the feed and make comments on what was said. I said "like a TiVo". He said "TiVo"? "What's a TiVo"? I was floored that someone in the broadcasting industry had never even heard of TiVo. He was talking about doing a box with ASI in/out, which is a little more advanced the TiVo, but I told him he needed to be really careful as anything he did in that space might run afoul of TiVo's time warp patent.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Funny story... I was at NAB this week. We were talking with a client...He said "TiVo"? "What's a TiVo"? ...
That is not funny, it is sad. Shows what little exposure TiVo has had lately.
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:50 AM   #9
Arcady
Stargate Fan

People are uninformed. You can't blame marketing for that.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.

Last edited by Arcady : 04-12-2013 at 04:42 AM.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #10
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
That is sad since at least early in the early years I heard many people referring to just about any DVR as a Tivo (more often as a verb where they Tivo'd a show on their cable DVR).

Scott
HerronScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
billyjoebob99

Well, you have to blame marketing a bit. Isn't the the point of marketing to inform the uninformed? Obviously marketing can't hold people down and force the info into their heads. But good marketing should increase awareness of the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post

billyjoebob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #12
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

Lightbulb

Quote:
Funny story... I was at NAB this week. We were talking with a client and he mentioned that he had interest from a church for something and wanted to know if we could develop it. He said that the church had a main "office" which broadcasts a sermon every Sunday over a private satellite network. The affiliated churches then tune that "station" and play it back for local attendees. However they wanted to add the ability for the local preacher to pause the feed and make comments on what was said. I said "like a TiVo". He said "TiVo"? "What's a TiVo"? I was floored that someone in the broadcasting industry had never even heard of TiVo. He was talking about doing a box with ASI in/out, which is a little more advanced the TiVo, but I told him he needed to be really careful as anything he did in that space might run afoul of TiVo's time warp patent.
I feel like its just such a shame. I know they have some limitations with the VOD, but their equipment is just light years ahead of the garbage that the cablecos have.

I blame marketing. They should have more aggressive marketing in Magnolia locations, especially since TiVo can integrate into high end systems. As part of my trade, I recieve a subscription to CEPro magazine. Occasionally, they have a really high end system and it features a TiVo, controlled by one of those super-fancy tablet remote control things that also controls the blinds. Serious business. They should have a better retail presence, I feel like most of their advertising is word-of mouth.

I've been a TiVo customer for over 11 years, and I swear by it. By why is it that no matter where I go, I never see anything TiVo? Get some clearer info out there about how much better it is. Get some commercials. "Tired of your crappy cable DVR!?" They can sell Shamwows and Miracle car wax that makes scratches magically disappear, but they can't get "TiVo" into people's mouths? Go do a 2 question survey on the street: "What's a Shamwow? and What's a TiVo?" See how that works out.

They need "one big thing" to advertise as a key feature to garner attention. Realisitically, if they could iron out the Stream and get it Android support, they could market it as a way to keep caught up with your shows during your train/boat/bus ride ride to work by watching shows on your iStuff and Android products. Even with the iStuff capability we have now, people don't have a clue. I see people all the time punching away on their iStuff while conversing with others while complaining they don't have time to watch CSI, American Idol, Game of Thrones, etc. and they already have the answer right in their hands and don't even know it. Capture THIS audience, capture a bigger userbase. Get some advertisements on buses or on the memo boards on subways. MARKET YOUR KEY FEATURES!

Get a song or a jingle to play on the radio to get people to the webpage.

Get some clever commercials on Primetime TV with the TiVo guy going to a middle-class family's house with bored screaming children and frustrated parents and then TiVo guy runs around from room to room throwing some magic dust at their cable boxes and magically changing them into TiVo products (while we hear the famous TiVo sound as the boxes change) and then show the family quietly entertaining themselves, followed by a simple but effective marketing slogan: "TiVo Whole Home: Making your home feel wholesome again." The teenage son is sideloading shows to his ipad, daughter sideloading to her iphone, Mom on the couch with a Premiere, and Dad in the basement with his Mini. COME. ON. This is not hard.

Come on guys. I'm some guy punching away on my keyboard at work in the morning while I have my coffee and I can come up with some good rough draft ideas to get this product out there. They can't do this?
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212

Last edited by NotNowChief : 04-12-2013 at 08:14 AM.
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
nrc
Cracker Soul

Good to hear that they want to "reengage with customers". Once upon a time TiVo was the gold standard for customer engagement. Unfortunately when they shifted their customer focus from consumers to satellite and cable companies they completely lost that.

Not entirely square
nrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #14
WhiskeyTango

What has Tivo ever done in terms of marketing. I've never seen or heard a commercial. I see ads online but I know those are based on cookies and things like that because I spend so much time on this site. Other than that, nothing really. They did have that disaster of a campaign with Tim Tebow, so they have that going for them. I guess their marketing strategy has been 'Let's make a website and hope people stumble across it.'
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

They had commercials and even infomercials back in the early days. Haven't seen much advertising in the last few years though.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #16
mattack

Go search for the commercial with Joe Montana.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #17
steve614
what ru lookin at?

It's about time. I hope it works out. I've never thought TiVo's marketing was all that great.
The lack of TV commercials for TiVo has always been a peeve of mine. I'm sure they exist, but I have never seen one, and that is the problem.
Hopefully this new ad agency will help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #18
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

What else has Olson done?

Does this mean Tebow is out?
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #19
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
Remember when we had a thread for TV shows that mentioned Tivo. They really got a lot of "mentions" but nobody actually knew what it meant. I remember on Friends, they had a Sony unit in the background of Monica's apartment. Now the word "Tivo" has been replaced by "DVR". It's sad.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #20
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
They had commercials and even infomercials back in the early days. Haven't seen much advertising in the last few years though.
The infomercial is the reason I bought a Tivo 13 years ago.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #21
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
What else has Olson done?

Does this mean Tebow is out?
Here is a list of their clients.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:51 PM   #22
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Kind of ridiculous that clicking on a client doesn't take you to the client's website
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #23
cherry ghost

Nothing for Saucony shows up under "work" but Saucony has had some decent viral ads lately and I assume they were done by Olson
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:36 AM   #24
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
The infomercial is the reason I bought a Tivo 13 years ago.
It hooked me!! even at $36.60 per hour of recording space.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:46 AM   #25
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Take a step back and pretend you never heard of TiVo, and see if TiVo catches your eye anywhere. on the Internet, remember you my have TiVo ads showup every where you go however if you never search for or bought a TiVo you might never see those.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #26
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon WIlkinson View Post
Take a step back and pretend you never heard of TiVo, and see if TiVo catches your eye anywhere. on the Internet, remember you my have TiVo ads showup every where you go however if you never search for or bought a TiVo you might never see those.
I rarely see adds anyplace. I use add and tracking blockers with Firefox so most pages have no adds at all on them. I skip most adds in TV and switch channels on the radio, guess they could use billboards I do still see them.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #27
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
I rarely see adds anyplace. I use add and tracking blockers with Firefox so most pages have no adds at all on them. I skip most adds in TV and switch channels on the radio, guess they could use billboards I do still see them.
Same here. Only ads I see are billboards and posters on the subway.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #28
Richard Cranium

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
AdAge published this article today that TiVo has selected indie agency Olson to revive its brand.

http://adage.com/article/agency-news...-brand/240760/
Kind of ironic that a company that is known for its "commercial skipping" is having a hard time getting people to pay attention to thier annoying commercials, huh?
Richard Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:21 AM   #29
grey ghost

Tim Tebow has had a few crappy commercials, but the Tivo-Tebow joke was extremely lame. I don't see him as an ideal spokesman. He's not been successful at all as a pro QB. I found it interesting that one of the CEO's kids, not the director of marketing, suggested that Tebow for the position
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:48 AM   #30
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Norma Stitz View Post
Kind of ironic that a company that is known for its "commercial skipping" is having a hard time getting people to pay attention to thier annoying commercials, huh?
Not really, because if they were already a customer they'd be able to skip the commercials anyway.

Quote:
And yet that IS the point of marketing. To inform the potential customer base.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote