TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #5791
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
Thanks for the info.

On my two missing channels my signal level is ZERO when looked thru TiVo. Not low or pixelated. Zip zero nada.

Tech checked my signal on his meter thing and every channel is decent. Every one.

That tells me that TiVo is looking for the channels on the *wrong* frequency, no?

The tech didn't know - and had no way to find out - what frequencies those 2 stations are on (TiVo doesn't show it because it can't find it at all).

I was told it could be escalated after my 2nd tech visit.
Note I edited my previous post after you read it. My worst missing channel sometimes had zero signal also so I wouldn't rule out a poor cable connection. TiVo tuning an SDV channel to the wrong freq is a common SDV tuning failure problem which happens on Series 3 and 4 boxes. It has been well known (including to TiVo) for years. If you can get a channel tuned well enough to show a frequency in DVR Diagnostics, then in TA Diagnostics go to SDV SESSION INFO. One of the two sessions should show the same frequency but neither will show it if it has tuned the wrong frequency. BTW the session info also tells you whether the channel is SDV. Look at SamSvcid/Type. Switched for SDV, Broadcast for non-SDV, n/a for antenna channel.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #5792
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

On my two missing channels my signal level is ZERO when looked thru TiVo. Not low or pixelated. Zip zero nada.

Tech checked my signal on his meter thing and every channel is decent. Every one.

That tells me that TiVo is looking for the channels on the *wrong* frequency, no?

The tech didn't know - and had no way to find out - what frequencies those 2 stations are on (TiVo doesn't show it because it can't find it at all).

I was told it could be escalated after my 2nd tech visit.
Are you saying that the diag page doesnt show what frequency its 'trying' to tune?
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #5793
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Back in post #5777 you had an image of DVR Diagnostics showing signal level too low to even show up as a measurement. I know from personal experience you can have just one or two channels (actually QAM frequencies) that are too weak even though all the others are strong. In my case it occured for whatever channel was assigned by SDV to QAM frequency 543 MHz. I was totally convinced it was a problem with one of their QAM modulator units. On the second service call I was able to show the tech my Diagnostics screen with a channel on that freq and the low signal level (and severe pixelation). He was then convinced it was a problem outside my structure. However before escalating it he took the precaution of re-tightening the cable connections in the tap box at the corner of my lot (cable is underground here). And that fixed it!!!! Problem has been gone for two weeks now.
I believe that any problem in a coaxial cable (bad connector, kink, squirrel damage, whatever) can change the impedance at that point and cause part of the signal to be reflected. Those reflections can sum with the main signal to essentially cancel it, but only for certain frequencies that depend on the length of cable involved.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #5794
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Are you saying that the diag page doesnt show what frequency its 'trying' to tune?
Yes, it just shows a dash.

This is on the CableCard screens, when tuned to one of the non-working channels.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #5795
cwoody222

Quote:
Note I edited my previous post after you read it. My worst missing channel sometimes had zero signal also so I wouldn't rule out a poor cable connection. TiVo tuning an SDV channel to the wrong freq is a common SDV tuning failure problem which happens on Series 3 and 4 boxes. It has been well known (including to TiVo) for years. If you can get a channel tuned well enough to show a frequency in DVR Diagnostics, then in TA Diagnostics go to SDV SESSION INFO. One of the two sessions should show the same frequency but neither will show it if it has tuned the wrong frequency. BTW the session info also tells you whether the channel is SDV. Look at SamSvcid/Type. Switched for SDV, Broadcast for non-SDV, n/a for antenna channel.
The tech checked my signal levels and said they were more than good. He went thru *every* channel with his meter and everyone showed good strength... even the 2 that don't tune.

We wanted to try a TW cable box but of course he didn't have one with him. Naturally.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #5796
SCSIRAID

Quote:
The tech checked my signal levels and said they were more than good. He went thru *every* channel with his meter and everyone showed good strength... even the 2 that don't tune.

We wanted to try a TW cable box but of course he didn't have one with him. Naturally.
Well, this takes me back to the channel map statement. If the channel map entry is messed up for those two channels, and have invalid frequencies.... that could explain it.

Another thought... if these two channels arent SDV... remove the TA and power cycle the TiVo and see what that does.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #5797
cwoody222

Yep.

I've suggested the channel map to their twitter support twice now and BEGGED them to do some investigation and all they do is offer to send a tech.

The tech yesterday - while super nice - had no clue how the SDV adapter box worked so the concept of an incorrect channel map would have been completely foreign.

Looks like I'm going to have to suck it up and have a 2nd (likely pointless) tech visit before they'll actually start thinking outside of their scripted responses and get someone higher up involved.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #5798
Teeps

Quote:
He was then convinced it was a problem outside my structure. However before escalating it he took the precaution of re-tightening the cable connections in the tap box at the corner of my lot (cable is underground here). And that fixed it!!!! Problem has been gone for two weeks now.
Well there you go...
With sensitive electronics always suspect cables and connections first.
They should be inspected, cleaned and tightened or replaced when practical.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #5799
mdbundy

In addition to having to power down my TA overnight on a weekly basis, I have a similar problem where a small handful of channels disappear on a semi-regular basis - about once every three months. In those situations I call TWC and get them to send a hit to my cable card and TA, reboot, and then all is good.

It's a ritual now. It's always on a weeknight during The Daily Show when it happens. I never get the same tech but I've been able to get them to play along every time.

Make sure they validate that the cable card is authorized for the missing channels. I've had that happen before too. (Random channels were deauthed for some reason).
mdbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #5800
smoberly

Is pixelization usually caused by an issue with the cable signal or the TiVo? I have Time Warner with a Premiere and for the last several days, I have been getting a significant amount of pixelization. This has never been an issue previously, but it is now so bad at times it makes it difficult to even watch a program.
smoberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #5801
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoberly View Post
Is pixelization usually caused by an issue with the cable signal or the TiVo? I have Time Warner with a Premiere and for the last several days, I have been getting a significant amount of pixelization. This has never been an issue previously, but it is now so bad at times it makes it difficult to even watch a program.
I would first suspect signal issues. Easiest way is to check the digital signal strength on channels you're having trouble with. Go to Settings & Messages > Settings > Channels > Signal Strength - Cable.

Once into Strength Meter is on screen, tune to channels where you're seeing the most pixelation. In my experience, anything channel with 50% or below will have noticable pixelation. Check other stations as you want. If you're seeing low signal, check/tighten the connection to your Tivo. If you still have trouble, try a new coax cable from the wall to the Tivo. You could then also move the Tivo to another room and check signal strengths from a different Coax outlet.

If, after all this, the channels are still crappy and signal strength is low, call Time Warner and get a tech out to check the outside wiring, as something is likely damaged.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #5802
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoberly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
I would first suspect signal issues. Easiest way is to check the digital signal strength on channels you're having trouble with. Go to Settings & Messages > Settings > Channels > Signal Strength - Cable.

Once into Strength Meter is on screen, tune to channels where you're seeing the most pixelation. In my experience, anything channel with 50% or below will have noticable pixelation. Check other stations as you want. If you're seeing low signal, check/tighten the connection to your Tivo. If you still have trouble, try a new coax cable from the wall to the Tivo. You could then also move the Tivo to another room and check signal strengths from a different Coax outlet.

If, after all this, the channels are still crappy and signal strength is low, call Time Warner and get a tech out to check the outside wiring, as something is likely damaged.
The meter described above is the easiest/quickest way to get signal strength for a lot of different channels. DVR Diagnostics also provides that number but also SNR and RS Error Counts for the two tuned channels. Growing RS Uncorrected Error count is the most definite indication you have a signal problem.

Signal strength of 50 (it's not a percentage) is what TiVo says is the minimum in their support pages and that agrees with my experience also. At that level you will usually see quite a few (and growing) RS Corrected Errors but very few RS Uncorrected Errors -- which means video/audio quality is still good.

Pixellation due to hard drive failing is quite common but it is best to rule out signal problems first. The first step in diagnosing the hard drive is to run the builtin TiVo diagnostic KS54, see instructions here:
http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php
However KS54 doesn't always find HDD problems -- it's just much easier than removing the drive, connecting it to your PC and running Western Digital's drive diagnostics extended test, which takes hours.

and
Old 03-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #5803
smoberly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post

Thanks, I'll give it a shot tonight.
smoberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #5804
cwoody222

I replaced my CableCARD today. Same issues exist on my two missing channels. Tech is coming Wednesday.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #5805
Teeps

Quote:

Signal strength of 50 (it's not a percentage) is what TiVo says is the minimum in their support pages and that agrees with my experience also. At that level you will usually see quite a few (and growing) RS Corrected Errors but very few RS Uncorrected Errors -- which means video/audio quality is still good.

Pixellation due to hard drive failing is quite common but it is best to rule out signal problems first. The first step in diagnosing the hard drive is to run the builtin TiVo diagnostic KS54
My XL4 was suffering pixellation recently. I checked the signal strength, using the TiVo signal page.
The channels that had a problem; the signal strength was less than 70 on the meter. All I did to fix the problem that day was slightly move the coax cable connected to the t/a.
Subsequently the suspect coax was replaced and there has not been a problem since.

Many times a failing hdd can be diagnosed by simply rewinding the pixellated section and replaying. If it plays fine after a rewind and play; the hdd is probably failing. I would then do the kickstart routine.

If the problem still is seen after rewind and play, then that's how it was recorded, not a hdd problem.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #5806
cwoody222

My missing two channels miraculously returned this morning. Guess it was something on their end after all... unless the wind tightened up the cables on my pole

Before I had a chance to cancel my appointment with them tonight the SAME INSTALLER who came last week called to tell me he'd be back tonight. So they were planning to send the same guy who was unqualified to fix the problem last week to come again.

Brilliant!

EDIT: Time Warner just called me again and told me - after I'd already discovered it myself - that their engineering determined that I'd need to "update my guide data" or "reboot the TiVo" to fix the issue. Yea, I guess I hadn't done that since last Monday when I found the problem. Nice of them to admit what they ACTUALLY did.

Last edited by cwoody222 : 03-20-2013 at 11:43 AM.
cwoody222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #5807
SCSIRAID

Quote:
My missing two channels miraculously returned this morning. Guess it was something on their end after all... unless the wind tightened up the cables on my pole

Before I had a chance to cancel my appointment with them tonight the SAME INSTALLER who came last week called to tell me he'd be back tonight. So they were planning to send the same guy who was unqualified to fix the problem last week to come again.

Brilliant!

EDIT: Time Warner just called me again and told me - after I'd already discovered it myself - that their engineering determined that I'd need to "update my guide data" or "reboot the TiVo" to fix the issue. Yea, I guess I hadn't done that since last Monday when I found the problem. Nice of them to admit what they ACTUALLY did.
Sounds like THEY had to update their channel map......
Old 03-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #5808
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Sounds like THEY had to update their channel map......
I tried to get them to confirm what they did. Had a supervisor call me back. He said the notes don't say and it may have been done by non-local Engineers.

He at least admitted that it was clearly something on their end that was most likely changed yesterday and rolled out overnight.

He tried to downplay how widespread it was, inferring it could have been due to a very specific setup. When I suggested his TiVo/CC install base here probably isn't that high he said "Oh no, if TBS wasn't working, I'd have heard about it!"

I find that doubtful. I watch a ton of TV and the only reason I knew that station was missing was "Cougar Town"
Old 03-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #5809
ShaneF

I'm in East Amherst and I wasn't getting HD TBS either Tuesday night. It was back Wednesday night. Just corroborating that it was a TWC problem.

Quote:
I tried to get them to confirm what they did. Had a supervisor call me back. He said the notes don't say and it may have been done by non-local Engineers.

He at least admitted that it was clearly something on their end that was most likely changed yesterday and rolled out overnight.

He tried to downplay how widespread it was, inferring it could have been due to a very specific setup. When I suggested his TiVo/CC install base here probably isn't that high he said "Oh no, if TBS wasn't working, I'd have heard about it!"

I find that doubtful. I watch a ton of TV and the only reason I knew that station was missing was "Cougar Town"

ShaneF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #5810
cwoody222

Thanks for the feedback, Shane! Much appreciated! (I'm downtown, BTW)
Old 03-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #5811
Teeps

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, Shane! Much appreciated! (I'm downtown, BTW)
When you call time warner to report theses problems, tell the person on the phone that you want a service credit for the days missed.
They should transfer you to customer relations, where that agent can credit your account.

I usually ask for $3 a day; some give it; some give a little less.

Asking for cash back is the only way to really get their attention. That and threatening to quit the service.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #5812
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Another EAS-triggered problem?

Quote:
I and two other forum members in TWC SW Ohio that I know of have TiVo HD's that use the m-card (just one card needed in an HD). We all have our TiVo's completely frozen for two minutes or so, whenever an EAS message comes through. The exact behavior varies but typically it switches you to C-SPAN2 and there is no response to the remote control. It can stop a recording completely. This only started happening to me when I switched from two s-cards to the one m-card. I'll be curious to see what your experience is since you're in the same TWC region.
Today around 12:15pm there appeared to be an EAS alert. At least my TiVo HD was frozen for a couple of minutes (no response except the "bonk" sound to remote clicks). Normally everything goes back to normal after these things, but today ALL cable channels were gone and TA diagnostics were not available. I recovered normal operation after power-cycling the TA and cycling the USB connection to the TA. This is a new, much worse, response to EAS. I wish I could believe complaining to TWC support would result in anything better than wasting my time (and possibly making things worse.)

and
Old 04-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #5813
cwoody222

Has anyone used the TWC Roku app for any period of time? I'd tested it out here and there but that's about it.

Last night I "needed" to use it as a 3rd tuner to watch something. It was horrible. It would cut out for a split second (go to black, make my TV think it lost the HDMI signal) every minute.

I rebooted, changed channels (another station did the same thing), checked my network connection, everything.

It did that for a full hour. Unusable.

I don't know if that's normal or there was problems last night. But as my first real use of the product, TWC let me down... as usual.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #5814
cwoody222

I'm still having trouble with the Roku app. I contacted them last Thursday about a fix. They said someone would call me back in 24-72 hours. Someone called me Saturday just to see if I'd gotten a call yet. When I said I hadn't they said someone would call me back that afternoon. To this date I still have not received a call.

I asked for assistance from their Twitter help account too.

They told me, "Roku is 100% 3rd party. They have their own delivery network, we don't have the ability to support that product. Our logo is only on the product in the same way that our logo is on an iPhone or Android device, as an app within the device."

So I guess they're powerless to support a product that they're offering their own service over. That's wonderful. So I guess it'll just stay broken forever.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #5815
dlfl
Cranky old novice

A normal EAS alert? What does this mean??

Probably means nothing but today I had an EAS alert to which my TiVo HD reacted in (what I think is) the proper way -- first time in a year, since I installed an m-card.

I was watching a recording and it did kick me out to live TV (is that "proper"?). But it didn't give me a blank screen or switch live TV to CSPAN-2, which are typical behaviors. And the EAS message was displayed with what I think are the normal colors and font, in a readable fashion -- also not typical. Finally, I was able to resume the recording at the place where it kicked me out.

Surely it can't be that TWC SW Ohio has actually cleaned up their EAS signalling act!

and
Old 05-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #5816
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Well never mind. The next EAS gave me the blank screen and no message. The correct one was just a fluke I guess.

and
Old 05-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #5817
SASouth

Quote:
Well never mind. The next EAS gave me the blank screen and no message. The correct one was just a fluke I guess.
You really didn't really expect anything else, did you?

I'm moving soon from Springfield to Fairborn. I'm looking forward to see just how much TWC can screw it up.
SASouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #5818
George Cifranci
Viva La Tivo!

I had to replace my hard drive in my Hard Drive in my TiVo Series 3, so that meant I had to call Time Warner's self install cable card help desk at 866-532-2598 to re-pair/re-auth my cable cards. The tech I talked to sent hits to both my cards and they we re-paired in less than 10 minutes. Boy, cable card activations have come a long way since I first had mine installed in early 2007. What a nightmare it was back then. :-)

TiVo S3 - (12-20-06) 318HR HD (2TB)
TiVo S2 - (06-16-04) 329HR SD (retired)
TiVo S1 - (10-03-01) 60HR SD (retired)
TV: Sony SXRD R60XBR1 HDTV
George Cifranci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #5819
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Fun and games coming guys:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/re...-channels.html
I have enough problems with TWC on my TiVo even with a stable lineup. The last time TWC SW Ohio did a major lineup change there were TiVo's that couldn't get correct guide data for weeks.

and
Old 06-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #5820
rangsanlee

Time Warner, Kansas City area

Hi,

Does anyone have any success getting Tivo Premier to work with Time Warner in Kansas City area? I installed its cable card and its adapter, updated its cable card's firmware, spent 1 hour on the phone with the customer service, rebooted twice, only to get disconnected when she tried to transfer me to other department. Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Rangsan
rangsanlee is offline   Reply With Quote