TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-07-2013, 01:05 AM   #1
senses3

Does the 30 minute cache on TiVo drive anyone else nuts?

I have a new TiVo Premiere and I love most of it, but this 30 minute cache is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Every other DVR I have ever used has atleast been able to pause for 1-2 hours.

I have found a hack to change this, but it's only for earlier tivo boxes .

Anyone have any suggestions for changing this? Also, let me know what you think about this madness.
senses3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:55 AM   #2
caddyroger

I do not have problem with it. If I know I am going to be longer the 1/2 hr I hit record and record it.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:14 AM   #3
replaytv
elects "cold sleep"

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post
I do not have problem with it. If I know I am going to be longer the 1/2 hr I hit record and record it.
amen brother! ;-)=
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by senses3 View Post
I have a new TiVo Premiere and I love most of it, but this 30 minute cache is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Every other DVR I have ever used has atleast been able to pause for 1-2 hours.

Anyone have any suggestions for changing this? Also, let me know what you think about this madness.
Anything I watch on the TiVo I hit record. Then if I am interrupted or even if I change the channel by accident I know the show will be there watch. This has worked very well in my 10+ years of TiVo use.
Plus TiVo has an individual buffer for each tuner. I know many of the cable companies DVRs used to only have one buffer. But I don't know if that is still the case. But either way there is no need for a 2 hour buffer.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
But either way there is no need for a 2 hour buffer.
IYHO.

I have both TiVos (including an Elite) and DirecTV. And yes, I record everything I ever want to watch. And yet there are still times I find myself going back thru the DirecTV 1.5 hour buffer looking for something. It's never critical, usually something like a weather report or whatnot, but it does happen.

Is this a big deal? Nah. But would it be handier if a TiVo had a longer buffer, maybe user configurable? Why not.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #6
WhiskeyTango

Hell, why not make it 4 hours. Maybe 8. Why not 24?
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

i've had dtv and comcast w/tivo, and the buffer isn't an issue for me. like others have posted, if there's any question, i hit record, then pause. no big deal.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
replaytv
elects "cold sleep"

There are so many other features, and even fixes on stuff broken needed that this would be WAY down on wish list.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Hell, why not make it 4 hours. Maybe 8. Why not 24?
Not enough. To all available disk space.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
i've had dtv and comcast w/tivo, and the buffer isn't an issue for me. like others have posted, if there's any question, i hit record, then pause. no big deal.
And when you do hit the record button the buffer is also recorded.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
celtic pride

I really think we need at least a 60 to 90 minute buffer because sometimes my wife and i will come home and there will be a movie or even live breaking news that has been on longer than 30 minutes and so even if i rewind the buffered program its still not enough to see the movie,so i have to check the tivo guide if its been replayed later sometimes i get lucky and it is ,sometimes not, so i'm out of luck,as for breaking news i can only go back to the start of the 30 minutes and see what i missed from there. our local los angeles area channels are always covering high speed car chases, shootouts, even emergency airplane landings,brushfires,and flooding during storms in winter.

Last edited by celtic pride : 04-07-2013 at 02:27 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #12
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic pride View Post
I really think we need at least a 60 to 90 minute buffer because sometimes my wife and i will come home and there will be a movie or even live breaking news that has been on longer than 30 minutes and so even if i rewind the buffered program its still not enough to see the movie,so i have to check the tivo guide if its been replayed later sometimes i get lucky and it is ,sometimes not, so i'm out of luck,as for breaking news i can only go back to the start of the 30 minutes and see what i missed from there. our local los angeles area channels are always covering high speed car chases, shootouts, even emergency airplane landings,brushfires,and flooding during storms in winter.
If your that concerned just leave the TiVo recording when you leave your home, than if there is nothing you want on the ONE channel you left the TiVo on, just erase the program. I do agree it would nice if it was user selectable, but I not sure where on the drive the buffer is stored, I don't think it is on the program part of the drive, so changing the buffer size may be a bigger software deal than we all think as partitions may have to be changed in size. With the TP-4 TiVo can store 2 hours now (30 min for each tuner) if you made it 90 minuets you are talking about 6 hours of buffer, that about 8% of the drive space of the TP-4).

Old 04-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #13
supasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post
It would be nice it was an hour buffer. I have had instances when I turn on the TV and an interesting program just happens to be recording on a tuner and I find that I would like to record it. However, it may be 45 minutes in, and if I hit record, I lose the first 15 minutes.

However, this can still be easily fixed by simply looking for another showing of the program recording that.

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:47 PM   #14
jrtroo
User

If you use suggestions and thumbs enough, and have adequate hard drive space, the tivo may well already be recording such programs.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:48 PM   #15
az1097

Quote:
For which earlier models and how?
az1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #16
lonewoolf47

I've always felt the thirty minute buffer was too short. Most TV series are an hour long so it would be nice to have that leeway. If you are into sport programming it is helpful because sometimes you forget to record an event. To me it is something that TiVo just refused to explore while other DVR'S made it one of their major features.
lonewoolf47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #17
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Sometimes a longer buffer would be nice, but on the rare occasions that I find a program that I'd like to watch in it's entirety but find that it started well over 30 minutes earlier, I just say "oh well" and move on to something else. 30 minutes later, I've forgotten all about it.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #18
Riverdome

As with any feature such as this it should be a USER OPTION. If you have the HDD space to allow for a 2 hour buffer then go for it. It's a value that is hard coded somewhere in the Tivo kernel, make it a variable and ask the user what they prefer.
Riverdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #19
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Agreed, but as with all things we don't get it is apparently not the Tivo Way.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #20
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdome View Post
As with any feature such as this it should be a USER OPTION. If you have the HDD space to allow for a 2 hour buffer then go for it. It's a value that is hard coded somewhere in the Tivo kernel, make it a variable and ask the user what they prefer.
+1, as I have ALWAY wished for this option!
Old 04-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #21
ltxi

lol...I haven't watched anything not pre-recorded in damn near 10 years.
ltxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:13 AM   #22
Wil
Senile Member

I want an infinite buffer. I want a Cloud hookup such that the buffer begins as soon as my subscription does and lasts as long as I subscribe to that Tivo.

And I want all purchasers of Tivos to subsidize my needs, whether they want an infinite buffer or not.

Plus I want a free pony.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #23
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Sometimes a longer buffer would be nice, but on the rare occasions that I find a program that I'd like to watch in it's entirety but find that it started well over 30 minutes earlier, I just say "oh well" and move on to something else. 30 minutes later, I've forgotten all about it.
With a Premiere you can find a another airing of it or make a wishlist also in like 15 sec.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #24
jrtroo
User

My impression is that TiVo is looking for users to optimize disc space by recording content it knows we want rather than using the box to basically randomly pick up whatever happens to be on. I could see this perhaps changing this to a user selection with future larger disc sizes, but with 4 tuners the box is already allocating two precious hours to basically do nothing of direct benefit.

Where are these ponies?
Old 04-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #25
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Cool

Quote:

I was with DirecTV for 14 years. The old DirecTiVo's had the same 30 minute per each tuner limit. When I upgraded to DirecTV HD-DVR's the 90 minute live buffer was kewl but also only one the current tuner. If I wanted dual tuner buffering I had to record programs on both tuners; then I could have dual buffering and the entire program; just delete when done if you don't want to keep it.

So how exactly is that different TiVo is at least offering you dual live 30 minute buffers; if you want more you can do like you would need to do with DirecTV for dual live buffers.

Sorry but your issue, isn't!
----
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB+w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere {lifetime} WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #26
Bigg

They should offer options up to 90 or 120 minutes.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #27
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCurry57 View Post
When I upgraded to DirecTV HD-DVR's the 90 minute live buffer was kewl but also only one the current tuner. If I wanted dual tuner buffering I had to record programs on both tuners
actually, there is a feature with directv, i think it's called double play, that enables dual tuner, 90-minute buffering without recording, but it's a pain in the @$$ to operate, so it's of little or no use.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #28
Jeff_DML

I would prefer 1 hour buffer, the Virgin TiVo has this setup.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #29
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon WIlkinson View Post
With a Premiere you can find a another airing of it or make a wishlist also in like 15 sec.
Those aren't exactly Premiere only features.
I could also find another airing with a series 1 or WL it with a S2.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #30
seattlewendell

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic pride View Post
our local los angeles area channels are always covering high speed car chases, shootouts, even emergency airplane landings,brushfires,and flooding during storms in winter.
Sounds like it would be easier to just get the hell out of Los Angeles. Sounds like a dangerous place.
seattlewendell is offline   Reply With Quote