TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Traal
The Sane
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 80
Question TiVo Mini and OTA?

Thanks to my TiVo HD hooked up to an antenna, and Roku/Netflix/Amazon, I cut the cord a few years ago. Now I'd like to stream OTA from the antenna (which is upstairs) to a TiVo Mini downstairs. I know my TiVo HD won't work with the Mini. Which model should I replace it with?
Traal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Loach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 373
You shouldn't replace it at all if you're doing so for purposes of using a Mini. The Mini must be paired with a 4-tuner Premiere, which is digital cable only (no OTA).
__________________
Roamio Pro (MoCA)
Premiere 4 (MoCA) w/2TB WD20EURS upgrade
2 Minis (MoCA/Ethernet)

Last edited by Loach : 04-03-2013 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Clarification
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
atmuscarella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 3,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traal View Post
Thanks to my TiVo HD hooked up to an antenna, and Roku/Netflix/Amazon, I cut the cord a few years ago. Now I'd like to stream OTA from the antenna (which is upstairs) to a TiVo Mini downstairs. I know my TiVo HD won't work with the Mini. Which model should I replace it with?
As Loach said the Mini currently does not work for OTA only people. The only current Tivo solution for multiple TVs and OTA is multiple TiVo DVRs. There are rumors that TiVo maybe releasing a new DVR that will work with OTA but no real details are known.
__________________
atmuscarella
R.I.P. - 04/04 - Dish 510
09/05 - Humax T-800
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 13,386
The Mini will stream fine from an OTA only Premiere. You just need a Premiere 4 to link the Mini to. I have an OTA only Premiere that I periodically will use to stream content to my two TiVo Minis.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x3
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
bradleys
It'll be fine....
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,489
I recommend waiting.

TiVo has FCC requests in play that suggest new products, based on the waiver requests these should include a 4 tuner OTA Premier that will work with the mini...

I am hoping for a 6 tuner unit with an upgraded processor!

When? Your best guess is as good as mine, but I hope before the end of the year, early next...
__________________
TiVo S2 (Retired)
TiVo Series 3 (for sale)
TiVo HD (for sale)
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #6
slowbiscuit
FUBAR
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In the ATL
Posts: 2,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
As Loach said the Mini currently does not work for OTA only people. The only current Tivo solution for multiple TVs and OTA is multiple TiVo DVRs. There are rumors that TiVo maybe releasing a new DVR that will work with OTA but no real details are known.
Or, OP you can check out this thread and take your chances. Not the Tivo Way of course, but their programming limitations caused it.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
atmuscarella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 3,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The Mini will stream fine from an OTA only Premiere. You just need a Premiere 4 to link the Mini to. I have an OTA only Premiere that I periodically will use to stream content to my two TiVo Minis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Or, OP you can check out this thread and take your chances. Not the Tivo Way of course, but their programming limitations caused it.
From what the OP said:
"Now I'd like to stream OTA from the antenna (which is upstairs) to a TiVo Mini downstairs"
it sounds like he wants to stream live OTA TV which is impossible at this time.
__________________
atmuscarella
R.I.P. - 04/04 - Dish 510
09/05 - Humax T-800
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 04-04-2013 at 07:09 AM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
mr_smits
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traal View Post
Thanks to my TiVo HD hooked up to an antenna, and Roku/Netflix/Amazon, I cut the cord a few years ago. Now I'd like to stream OTA from the antenna (which is upstairs) to a TiVo Mini downstairs. I know my TiVo HD won't work with the Mini. Which model should I replace it with?

Let us know what you decide to do.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
Jonathan_S
Registered User
 
Jonathan_S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 13,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
From what the OP said:
"Now I'd like to stream OTA from the antenna (which is upstairs) to a TiVo Mini downstairs"
it sounds like he wants to stream live OTA TV which is impossible at this time.
Right.
Although you can do a bit of a workaround by beginning a recording of the OTA program on the 2-tuner Premiere and then streaming that in-progress recording to the Mini. But that's a hassle, and you may not want to tie up the disk space to record something you wanted to watch live.

At this time I just don't see a Mini being a good fit for Traal - it would take too much new equipement (two Premieres (a 2-tuner and a 4-tuner + the mini) and still wouldn't quite do what he wanted.
__________________
Xbox: MetalThreshkeen -- PSN: Threshkeen
TiVo Elite
Jonathan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 13,386
If you use the tablet app it makes it much less of a hassle. You initiate the recording on the OTA premiere from the tablet while you are viewing the Mini. The you just go to the Shows list of that OTA premiere and watch it from the Mini. Never needing to leave your seat or change inputs.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x3
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #11
mr_smits
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
If you use the tablet app it makes it much less of a hassle.

You can use the tablet or smartphone app.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #12
farmermac
Super user
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post

At this time I just don't see a Mini being a good fit for Traal - it would take too much new equipement (two Premieres (a 2-tuner and a 4-tuner + the mini) and still wouldn't quite do what he wanted.
Bah. $1600 later he'll have streaming ota on his TiVo mini. Might as well sign up for cable, it'll be cheaper
__________________
TiVo HD XL 2tb PLS
TiVo Premiere 4 2tb PLS
farmermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #13
Bigg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hartford- New Haven CT
Posts: 3,224
Yeah, wait for the new OTA units. Or get basic cable and an XL4. If you have cable internet, with many providers it would be about the same price as just internet due to the bundle discount.
__________________
My Place: Premiere XL4 Lifetime 3/26/13 XFinity
3 TiVo Mini's on MoCA
Formerly Win MCE 3TB Ceton4 XFinity
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |