TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #61
MPSAN

OK, just got my WD20EZRX delivered. I will short pins 5 and 6 to force 3 Gb/sec, however and then run windlg.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #62
MPSAN

Update for my many readers.

For some reason the WD10EARS took 4 hours to run the long test in WinDLG. This WD20EZRX took only 1 extra hour at 5 hours. All is clean. I only added a jumper to force SATAII (3Gb/sec). Not sure it was required but both my system and the TIVO use that speed. This is a 6 Gb/sec drive so I figured it could not hurt.

One thing that I tried, however, was HDD Scan to deal with AAM, but it said it was not supported on this drive. Comments online, however, say that this is a very quiet drive anyway. I will confirm as it is going into our Bedroom TIVO.

I did run WDIDLE3 /D from the UBCD ver 5.2.1 DVD that I made and it did work fine.

SO, it is too late for me to take the 160GB drive out of the Bedroom TIVO now, but I will tomorrow and let you know how it goes. In this way, perhaps, we will have another 2TB WD drive to add to the list.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #63
MPSAN

Well, all went OK I guess, and I did the expand at the end as I said NO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Do the expansion separately with mfsadd. There was a 1.7 TB Apple Free partition and at the end I did the expand and SuperSize.

However, it says I have 198HD hours. Better than the 1TB 157 hours but why don't I get 318 hours?

I may do this over and let it expand when it asks me to. Should that matter?

Copy from the 160, which will be the first drive you selected when you clicked select drive.

When it finishes copying, tell it no when it offers to expand.

Then click select drive again, and this time select the 2TB drive.

Then click mfsinfo and make sure nothing looks horribly wrong (it should show a huge Apple Free partition in the partition map), then back out of that and click mfsadd.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #64
MPSAN

Well, all went OK I guess, and I did the expand at the end as I said NO. There was a 1.7 TB Apple Free partition and at the end I did the expand and SuperSize.

However, it says I have 198HD hours. Better than the 1TB 157 hours but why don't I get 318 hours?

So, I did this over and I did not wait 'til the end and it says 318 HD hours. Now I will see if this new drive stops the reboots as the original Tivo 160 GB drive did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Do the expansion separately with mfsadd.

Copy from the 160, which will be the first drive you selected when you clicked select drive.

When it finishes copying, tell it no when it offers to expand.

Then click select drive again, and this time select the 2TB drive.

Then click mfsinfo and make sure nothing looks horribly wrong (it should show a huge Apple Free partition in the partition map), then back out of that and click mfsadd.

Last edited by MPSAN : 04-03-2013 at 08:19 PM.
MPSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #65
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I recently bought a hard drive from Newegg.
Mine came in a sealed anti static bag, nested in plastic end caps in a properly sized hard cardboard box, inside a larger box filled with wadded up brown paper.
I guess it's a good thing the UPS employees didn't substitute my package for a football.

How does Amazon ship their drives?
That sounds like the way Amazon shipped the WD20EURS that I got from them.

It, of course, does not come in a retail box like a regular Caviar Green sitting on the shelf at Best Buy.

I got another EURS from newegg more recently, and I remember the silvered sealed A/S envelope, but not how it was packed.

But it passed the long test and is working fine.

If it had been one of those "free to slide around inside the bigger box" deals, I think I'd remember.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #66
MPSAN

Well, it seems as though the new drive fixed it all! So, I guess we can add the WD20EZRX to the list. I get 318 hours of HD and for SD hours I get...who cares! :-)

Anyway, all I did was to add the jumper to force 3Gb/s transfer (not sure I had to) and ran wdidle3. I tried AAM, but it said the drive did not support that feature. At any rate, it is quiet and is in our Bedroom.

SO, all that is left now, perhaps, is to sell it as we just ordered a P4 and an XL4 yesterday. This THD is lifetime and we know it does not have any PS cap issues. Plus it has a just installed 2TB drive.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #67
MPSAN

Well, it has not rebooted even once! So all is good and the PS is also good. This now has the cablecard in the P4 next to it. Now I will sell it! As I said, the P4 and XL4 came and now all is good. This should be a great THD Lifetime with 2TB drive installed 4/2/2013 and verified good PS. I have all original manuals and boxes and there is not a scratch anywhere. I sure would like to sell it here and avoid the eBay trouble.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #68
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
I sure would like to sell it here and avoid the eBay trouble.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...sprune=30&f=72

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #69
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I will get the box and list it. I took a picture of the sysinfo screen showing Lifetime and 318 HD hours. Would it be OK to unplug it, or should I clear anything? I guess it will be what a buyer wants to see.