TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
donnoh

I'm Pleased so Far

My new Tivo mini showed up today and setup was a breeze. I was somewhat surprised at how long it took to boot up and also to install a service update since it doesn't have a hard drive.

It found my Tivo 4 over MoCA with no problems and it seems to be pretty zippy. I look forward to getting rid of Charters $2.00 cable card and $5.99 outlet fee they started charging me for my Tivo 2 tuner Premiere.

I elected to not share a tuner so I can't comment on that aspect of the Mini since I never watch live TV in my bedroom.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:47 AM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnoh View Post
My new Tivo mini showed up today and setup was a breeze. I was somewhat surprised at how long it took to boot up and also to install a service update since it doesn't have a hard drive.

It found my Tivo 4 over MoCA with no problems and it seems to be pretty zippy. I look forward to getting rid of Charters $2.00 cable card and $5.99 outlet fee they started charging me for my Tivo 2 tuner Premiere.

I elected to not share a tuner so I can't comment on that aspect of the Mini since I never watch live TV in my bedroom.
That good so the 90 minute time out will not be a problem for you.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
That good so the 90 minute time out will not be a problem for you.
With the exception of maybe a sports program.. what else would you watch for 90 min straight without pushing any buttons
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
With the exception of maybe a sports program.. what else would you watch for 90 min straight without pushing any buttons
Live TV put on as background noise, or Live TV that someone is simply watching. I know there have been complaints about the time out screen while watching Live TV already posted. You have to keep in mind that we're enthusiasts, and in the minority. Most people still watch Live TV.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
compnurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Live TV put on as background noise, or Live TV that someone is simply watching. I know there have been complaints about the time out screen while watching Live TV already posted. You have to keep in mind that we're enthusiasts, and in the minority. Most people still watch Live TV.
90% of the TV I watch is Live TV but a button is pressed always within 90minutes..
compnurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
90% of the TV I watch is Live TV but a button is pressed always within 90minutes..
What I'm not sure of is whether any IR remote button press will reset the timeout. For example, I'm constantly fiddling with the volume on my universal remote, which is a command for my audio receiver, not the Mini. But I would think the Mini should recognize that an IR command has been sent and reset the timout. I guess I haven't determined if "non-Tivo" commands reset the timeout.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
Arcady
Stargate Fan

On a normal TiVo, the IR light blinks when you press TV buttons like volume or mute. I would guess the Mini acts the same way. Can anyone confirm?
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
On a normal TiVo, the IR light blinks when you press TV buttons like volume or mute. I would guess the Mini acts the same way. Can anyone confirm?
It blinks if you use the volume buttons on the Tivo peanut remote. It does not blink when I use the volume buttons on my universal remote. (Just tried both).

I won't actually use the peanut remote in this room because my receiver is behind a solid cabinet door (I'm using an MX-600 IR/RF remote). So I suspect I would have to do something else, like toggle the guide button, to reset the timer. Or just clear the "Are you there?" message when it comes up.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
The biggest problem would in the bedroom if you like to go to sleep with the TV on, the 90 minute time out would be a bummer. I think TiVo does this so your home network bandwidth is not reduced when TiVo thinks your not watching. Live TV on the Mini does eat up some of your home network bandwidth, especially if your not using Moca.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
donnoh

I almost always watch my bedroom TV to fall asleep with. In the rare instances that I'm not, I'm using the 30 second skip so the 90 minute time out has never been an issue.

Edit: Another thing that I didn't note was that the 30 second skip works just fine with the Mini. I had to do the SPS30S command about three or four times before it worked, but it finally did. I really hate the 30 second scan and was glad they left in the skip.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
lessd

Quote:
I almost always watch my bedroom TV to fall asleep with. In the rare instances that I'm not, I'm using the 30 second skip so the 90 minute time out has never been an issue.
So after you go to sleep the TV sound going off does not bother you or wake you up ? and your running the TV all night not being used.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
donnoh

Quote:
So after you go to sleep the TV sound going off does not bother you or wake you up ? and your running the TV all night not being used.
I almost always hit the TV sleep timer when I go to bed, usually for an hour. When I don't is when I get woken up, usually about the 2 am mark and that makes for a miserable nights sleep. Having the 90 minute timer is actually somewhat of a blessing for me.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #13
lessd

Quote:
I almost always hit the TV sleep timer when I go to bed, usually for an hour. When I don't is when I get woken up, usually about the 2 am mark and that makes for a miserable nights sleep. Having the 90 minute timer is actually somewhat of a blessing for me.
For you if your are setting the TV sleep timer to 1 hour, the Mini sleep would be no problem, what about the person that sets their TV on for say 2 hours Problem!! A person cooking in the kitchen with the TV on for background, if more than 90 min went by they would have to go back to the TiVo remote.
Just saying....

Old 03-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

The only way TiVo could appease everyone is to have an option change the length of the timer. Since I doubt they would ever have an option to turn it off.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:09 AM   #15
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The only way TiVo could appease everyone is to have an option change the length of the timer. Since I doubt they would ever have an option to turn it off.
Why not have the option to turn it off, the extra traffic is on the home network not the internet itself, and sure not a drain on any TiVo servers. If this system was IPTV from the main internet for Live TV then a sleep timer would be necessary or people would using a ton of bandwidth with IPTV running 24/7.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #16
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Why not have the option to turn it off, the extra traffic is on the home network not the internet itself, and sure not a drain on any TiVo servers. If this system was IPTV from the main internet for Live TV then a sleep timer would be necessary or people would using a ton of bandwidth with IPTV running 24/7.
Because then people would start complaining that they aren't using one of their Minis but can't get a tuner for their second Mini. I think either way people would complain.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:59 PM   #17
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Because then people would start complaining that they aren't using one of their Minis but can't get a tuner for their second Mini. I think either way people would complain.
If you have a 2nd Mini and share one tuner, are you going wait 90 min to get the other Mini on live TV ? With two Minis you have to have the discipline to turn one off live TV when leaving the room, but with two Minis and many people in the house you may still have a problem when two people want to watch live TV using the Mini at the same time and you only allocated one tuner.
All I am saying is TiVo should give me the option of controlling the time out that best for my house and the way we use the Mini(s).