TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #1261
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebuddy View Post
I would have made a backup, but the Premiere I just bought off of Craigslist had a bad drive.

I would sincerely appreciate it if anyone had an image they could spare... ;-)
An image of any Premiere does not exist at this time, you have to copy a total good drive bit by bit, someone is working on an image, but I don't know when it will be ready.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #1262
Ebuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
An image of any Premiere does not exist at this time, you have to copy a total good drive bit by bit, someone is working on an image, but I don't know when it will be ready.
Well now don't I feel like a horse's arse.

I should have done a little more research before I bought it because, as they say, a deal that looks too good to be true...

I just figured that, heck, I'd already successfully upgraded 2 Series 2's, a series 3 and a HD - How hard could a Premiere be?

{sigh}

Oh well, I suppose I'll just hang on to it until an image becomes available....
Ebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #1263
lpwcomp

Quote:

I should have done a little more research before I bought it because, as they say, a deal that looks too good to be true...

I just figured that, heck, I'd already successfully upgraded 2 Series 2's, a series 3 and a HD - How hard could a Premiere be?

{sigh}

There is in fact something already available. The file is @2GB and the current process is fairly involved but it can be done.. The creator is working on an easier to use process that uses a GUI. But if you're in a hurry, post your request addressed to ggiesake in this thread.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:05 AM   #1264
Agent86
Registered Lurker

I've seen images in the thread for Series 3 (648) boxes, but by the looks of the file names it appears as if they are all pre-11.0k releases.

Does anyone out there have an 11.0k image for the 648? I'm looking to do a rescue/upgrade for someone, and having an 11.0k image to work with would make working with larger drives a lot easier.
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:09 AM   #1265
lessd

Quote:

{sigh}

You can purchase a drive with the image on it from E-Bay and others.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #1266
bigbluefan85

Noob Question

I have the image I need for my TivoHD thanks to Unitron But I was wondering if someone could point me to a step by step instruction guide on how to load that image to my new hard drive using winMFS. I'm scared to do it on my own and mess up my brand new drive.
Thank you guys sooo sooo much in advance!
bigbluefan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #1267
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluefan85 View Post
I have the image I need for my TivoHD thanks to Unitron But I was wondering if someone could point me to a step by step instruction guide on how to load that image to my new hard drive using winMFS. I'm scared to do it on my own and mess up my brand new drive.
Thank you guys sooo sooo much in advance!
What brand of PC motherboard do you plan to use?

What brand and model is your new drive?

How do you intend to attach it to the PC?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #1268
bigbluefan85

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
What brand of PC motherboard do you plan to use?

What brand and model is your new drive?

How do you intend to attach it to the PC?
I have a Dell Desktop I was hoping to connect the new hard drive to using an ESATA cable. The hard drive is Seagate Pipeline 500GB ST3500321CS.

After downloading the image from you I thought that I would connect the new hard drive to my computer, run winMFS and then restoring it with the image I downloaded from you. Am I off base? (My old hard drive died so I didn't want to use it to make a backup and load that to the new hard drive from fear of corrupting the new hard drive)

Thanks again!
bigbluefan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #1269
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluefan85 View Post
I have a Dell Desktop I was hoping to connect the new hard drive to using an ESATA cable. The hard drive is Seagate Pipeline 500GB ST3500321CS.

After downloading the image from you I thought that I would connect the new hard drive to my computer, run winMFS and then restoring it with the image I downloaded from you. Am I off base? (My old hard drive died so I didn't want to use it to make a backup and load that to the new hard drive from fear of corrupting the new hard drive)

Thanks again!

First thing, run Seagate's diagnostic software long test on the drive before putting it into service.

Be sure you're using the file with the .tbk extension and not the .bak if you're going to restore with WinMFS.

I assume you're running XP Service pack 3 or newer (like Vista or 7) Windows.

Have the .tbk file on your PC's hard drive or a USB stick, and of course have winmfs.exe where you can get to it to launch it.

Boot the computer with the new drive attached, let it settle down, then launch WinMFS.

When it opens, click on "select drive", it should offer you the Seagate.

Then click on mfsrestore and point it at the .tbk file

It might be better to say no when it offers to expand, and then afterwards select mfsadd to do the expansion.

Sometimes doing it all as part of the same procedure seems to cause problems.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:49 AM   #1270
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

Hi all,

My Dad's DirecTV TiVo is dead. I am assuming it's the hard drive. I know it's not an HD DirecTiVo and am pretty sure it's the R10 model. Anyone have an image they can send me? Thanks!

TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (318 hr)
TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (77 hr)
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime (x4)
TiVo Stream
dmk1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #1271
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

The hard drive in my Dad's TCD540040 finally died and unitron's backup image saved my bacon. Thank you!
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #1272
leeherman

unitron,

Thank you for posting Tivo image files.

The hard drive died just as I was about to give my father my three year old 652 model HD.

I downloaded WinMFS last night along with your 652 image (and the 648 image for my S3) and loaded the image to a used 500GB drive to test the restore and it worked!

I haven't read this whole thread, but I did an internet search when I got error code 51 and found out that I'd have to do a clear and delete to make it usable, but I'm happy to be up and running again.

Thanks again!

LH
leeherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:30 PM   #1273
DarthSudo

TCD649180 Image

Does anyone have a backup image for TCD649180? The HDD is completely dead... won't even spin up in my PC.

Thanks.
DarthSudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #1274
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSudo View Post
Does anyone have a backup image for TCD649180? The HDD is completely dead... won't even spin up in my PC.

Thanks.
You can use a TCD649080 image.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:54 AM   #1275
IWLSR5

Does anyone have an image of TCD240080 software from a Western Digital drive? I found one in this thread but it is from a different brand hard drive and it is too big to restore onto my drive.
IWLSR5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #1276
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLSR5 View Post
Does anyone have an image of TCD240080 software from a Western Digital drive? I found one in this thread but it is from a different brand hard drive and it is too big to restore onto my drive.
I sent you a PM with a link to a 40GB size image. It will work in any version of TCD240 box.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #1277
faiginwells98

Thank You Unitron.

Unitron Thank you for your posting of the 540 gset.tbk image.

I had a Tivo 540 that the hard drive apparently failed on, and I was able to get it up and running after purchasing a recertified 320gb Maxtor IDE drive.

I was wondering if I could ask you two questions.

First, do you have an image for the Toshiba 565? I searched and couldn't find one.

Second, do you know, or can you recommend a good SATA drive and converter for a series two TiVo? The IDE's are getting kind of scarce.

Thank you again so much for posting the links that you have.

Robert
faiginwells98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #1278
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiginwells98 View Post

I had a Tivo 540 that the hard drive apparently failed on, and I was able to get it up and running after purchasing a recertified 320gb Maxtor IDE drive.

First, do you have an image for the Toshiba 565? I searched and couldn't find one.

Second, do you know, or can you recommend a good SATA drive and converter for a series two TiVo? The IDE's are getting kind of scarce.

Robert
I no longer know what drives, if any, to recommend for S1s and S2s, because any with which I've had success are no longer current models.

But the adapter thread is here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=416883

and much wisdom is to be found within.

Short version, Marvell chipset based adapter for S1s, Marvell or JMicron based for S2s.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #1279
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiginwells98 View Post

Robert
This SATA to IDE (PATA) adapter has worked well for me in S2 boxes.

http://www.wowparts.com/pata-to-sata...5-3-5-hdd-dvd/
Old 04-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #1280
faiginwells98

Thanks again.

Thanks again. I thought as much.

Any luck on an image for the Toshiba 565?

Rob

Quote:
I no longer know what drives, if any, to recommend for S1s and S2s, because any with which I've had success are no longer current models.

But the adapter thread is here:

and much wisdom is to be found within.

Short version, Marvell chipset based adapter for S1s, Marvell or JMicron based for S2s.

faiginwells98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #1281
IWLSR5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
I sent you a PM with a link to a 40GB size image. It will work in any version of TCD240 box.
Thanks for the software image. Alas, I still can't get it to go past the "Welcome, Powering Up." screen. Looks like I will be investing in a new power supply.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #1282
unitron

Quote:
Thanks for the software image. Alas, I still can't get it to go past the "Welcome, Powering Up." screen. Looks like I will be investing in a new power supply.
On that model there's a cap or two tucked under the heat sink overhang (the hardest ones to get at, of course) that are probably the problem if the power supply is the problem.

Eyeball them before you go laying out $100.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:35 AM   #1283
IWLSR5

Quote:
On that model there's a cap or two tucked under the heat sink overhang (the hardest ones to get at, of course) that are probably the problem if the power supply is the problem.

Eyeball them before you go laying out $100.
I visually inspected all of the caps and none of them appear to be ruptured or buldging. Is there a way to test each cap?
Old 04-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #1284
unitron

Quote:
I visually inspected all of the caps and none of them appear to be ruptured or buldging. Is there a way to test each cap?
Yes, but...

First get a voltmeter and check the yellow wire for +12V DC and the red wire for +5V DC, and see how close to those values you get.

The black wires are ground, as is the metal chassis.

You can test by unplugging the 4 pin Molex power connector from the IDE/PATA hard drive (or IDE/SATA adapter) and sticking the meter probes into the holes, just don't let the probes' metal parts touch each other while doing that.

And you can plug the plug back onto the drive and "backprobe" to see what readings you get with the drive drawing current as well.

You can have a bad cap that doesn't have visual signs of having gone, or being in the process of going, bad.

Come back with the +12 and +5 line readings you get with and without the drive attached (in addition to the motherboard always attached) and we'll go from there.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:18 AM   #1285
IWLSR5

Quote:
Yes, but...

First get a voltmeter and check the yellow wire for +12V DC and the red wire for +5V DC, and see how close to those values you get.

The black wires are ground, as is the metal chassis.

You can test by unplugging the 4 pin Molex power connector from the IDE/PATA hard drive (or IDE/SATA adapter) and sticking the meter probes into the holes, just don't let the probes' metal parts touch each other while doing that.

And you can plug the plug back onto the drive and "backprobe" to see what readings you get with the drive drawing current as well.

You can have a bad cap that doesn't have visual signs of having gone, or being in the process of going, bad.

Come back with the +12 and +5 line readings you get with and without the drive attached (in addition to the motherboard always attached) and we'll go from there.

I've already checked the voltages on the molex connector. Without the drive plugged in they read +12.2 and +5.1. With the drive plugged in, the voltages drop to +12.1 and +5.0. These voltages seem to be within tolerance.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:30 AM   #1286
unitron

Quote:
I've already checked the voltages on the molex connector. Without the drive plugged in they read +12.2 and +5.1. With the drive plugged in, the voltages drop to +12.1 and +5.0. These voltages seem to be within tolerance.
Congratulations, you have a good power supply and will have to look elsewhere to figure out what's causing your problem.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:40 AM   #1287
IWLSR5

Quote:
Congratulations, you have a good power supply and will have to look elsewhere to figure out what's causing your problem.
The only other part that it could be would be the motherboard. I'm assuming that there is no way to test it.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:46 AM   #1288
unitron

Quote:
The only other part that it could be would be the motherboard. I'm assuming that there is no way to test it.
Are you absolutely sure the drive is good?

Are you absolutely sure the 40 connector IDE ribbon cable from the motherboard to the drive is good?

Old 04-09-2013, 01:55 AM   #1289
IWLSR5

Quote:
Are you absolutely sure the drive is good?

Are you absolutely sure the 40 connector IDE ribbon cable from the motherboard to the drive is good?
Drive passes all S.M.A.R.T test and manufacturers long tests. I've even tried a brand new factory fresh drive amd a brand new ribbon cable.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:59 AM   #1290
unitron

Quote:
Drive passes all S.M.A.R.T test and manufacturers long tests. I've even tried a brand new factory fresh drive amd a brand new ribbon cable.
Okay, if it's desperate measure Hail Mary play time, replace the coin cell battery with a nice fresh one straight from the store, power the drive from a PC power supply, and then plug in the TiVo, but first run mfsinfo on the drive with either the MFS Live cd or WinMFS.