Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #2191
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbretz View Post
I have a Series 3 with OLED display with 2 FIOS cablecards. I got the letter referenced above a while back and came here concerned about whether I would lose channels. The general consensus was that I didn't need to worry about it since I didn't have premium channels, especially if I could 'see' channel 131.

I checked channel 131 and it worked fine...still does. No worries at the time...

Today, there is a free HBO/Cinemax weekend so I figured I would Tivo a bunch of movies like I usually do. However, all the HBO/Cinemax movies show me the cablecard screen with a quasi-error message that says:
The Cablecard considers the host to have only one-way RF capability.

I tried re-pairing the cards through automated voice system and that does not appear to have worked.

I have a plain jane free digital adapter on an upstairs TV and I'm getting the free preview up there just fine.

Any suggestions?
You could potentially lose 22 channels in a few weeks when FiOS switches them from MPEG2 to MPEG4. Since the Series 3 boxes don't work with MPEG4 channels. Well they can work with a software update, but since the S3 hasn't been made in years it's unlikely that they would put out an update.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #2192
SoBayJake

Quote:
I have a Series 3 with OLED display with 2 FIOS cablecards. I got the letter referenced above a while back and came here concerned about whether I would lose channels. The general consensus was that I didn't need to worry about it since I didn't have premium channels, especially if I could 'see' channel 131.

I checked channel 131 and it worked fine...still does. No worries at the time...

Today, there is a free HBO/Cinemax weekend so I figured I would Tivo a bunch of movies like I usually do. However, all the HBO/Cinemax movies show me the cablecard screen with a quasi-error message that says:
The Cablecard considers the host to have only one-way RF capability.

I tried re-pairing the cards through automated voice system and that does not appear to have worked.

I have a plain jane free digital adapter on an upstairs TV and I'm getting the free preview up there just fine.

Any suggestions?
I tried the automated system and didn't work. I tried the chat system and that worked.

Nonunsed Series 2s
Series 3 - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
TiVo HD - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
Premiere XL (lifetime)
Verizon FiOS with CableCARDs
SoBayJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #2193
dgbretz

Do you know what the chat did that was different?
dgbretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #2194
SoBayJake

Quote:
Do you know what the chat did that was different?
No clue. They both asked for the same information. It was late, and I could have mistyped something.

Nonunsed Series 2s
Premiere XL (lifetime)
Old 03-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #2195
dgbretz

double post...

Last edited by dgbretz : 03-29-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #2196
dgbretz

Hmmmm...I wish I knew what they did but after an hour on the phone it is working. The person I was actually talking to was working with 'Level 3' support.

I've seen the list of channels that are being switched to MPEG4 and figured it wasn't a big deal. I know I'm using old equipment.

I'm disappointed but not surprised by the level of support Tivo has provided for the Series3.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #2197
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

One tip I've found helps, make a copy of the cablecard's ID numbers and make sure they jibe with the numbers you see on the screen. And make the copy 200% larger so you can actually read the tiny type on there. That and make sure you're not transposing zeros with letter O characters. My suprizon rep made that mistake when setting ours up originally.

Otherwise you're stuck dealing with the demonstrably incompetent ways some local cable operations handle pairing the cards.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #2198
dgbretz

I did have to repeat the Cablecard info over the phone at least 10 times. I had actually given up after being on the phone about 30 minutes. I figured I would just have to repeat the whole guided setup if I ever wanted to see any premium channel content.

One take away for me from this is that it appears the channel 131 test to see if your cablecards are properly paired does not work in all cases...
Old 04-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #2199
am95

For the last several months I only had one cable card that I switched between two boxes. I did this about once a week and at first it was a breeze with the automated phone system but that stopped working so then I had to start calling in which became a nightmare. Your either going to get someone who knows exactly what they are doing or someone who doesn't have a clue in which case it will never get resolved. They'll tell you that a new card is needed or they need to send someone out. If this happens hang up and talk to someone else.

If you think this is something you might have to do in the near future after you get it resolved, I'd recommend asking the competent tech support person to make notes of what exactly they did and giving you the reference number if case you have to call back and end up with someone that's clueless.
am95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #2200
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

I wouldn't expect the socket used for the cablecard to hold up to regular insert/removal efforts. Those pins in there are pretty fragile. Yeah, it "ought to" be able to withstand a fair number of them, but I doubt anybody actually expects that to happen. And when the socket goes, so does the device. Just how much of a bargain is it to swap the cards around and call in all the time?
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #2201
SoBayJake

Quote:
Any suggestions?
Do the online chat or call.

Nonunsed Series 2s
Premiere XL (lifetime)
Old 05-24-2013, 05:41 AM   #2202
GmanTiVo
give me more options

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBayJake View Post
Do the online chat or call.
Sorry for the dumb & lazy question, what # are you guys calling in and what "online chat" are you referring to?

I need to re-pair my 2 S3 OLED FIOS singlestream cable cards.

I have never gone to the FIOS website nor have had to call since the initial install in 2007.

Thanks,

Gman
Old 05-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #2203
SoBayJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanTiVo View Post
Sorry for the dumb & lazy question, what # are you guys calling in and what "online chat" are you referring to?

I need to re-pair my 2 S3 OLED FIOS singlestream cable cards.

I have never gone to the FIOS website nor have had to call since the initial install in 2007.

Thanks,

Gman
Verizon Fiber Solutions Center 1-800-VERIZON (1-800-837-4966)

Chat from here: http://www22.verizon.com/support/residential/index.htm
(select TV, the issue, etc)

Nonunsed Series 2s
Premiere XL (lifetime)
Old 05-29-2013, 04:01 AM   #2204
GmanTiVo
give me more options

HBO not working on S3 OLED with S cable cards - RESLOVED with M cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBayJake View Post
Verizon Fiber Solutions Center 1-800-VERIZON (1-800-837-4966)

Chat from here: http://www22.verizon.com/support/residential/index.htm
(select TV, the issue, etc)
ty!

So, called in around noon on Saturday and armed with all the helpful posts here and in other threads I had the Tech Support guy speak to the CableCard group, do a "manual validation", (gave him all the S cablecard info needed) but after waiting 30 min. nada.

I just bit the bullet, drove 10min. to the VZ shop, got 2 M cards, and swapped out the S cards, called to 1) activate (automatic phone service), waited 60min. then 2) called back to speak to Tech Support to do a "manual validation", gave all the M card info and was told the process could take a couple of hours (it is 7pm by now). Went out to dinner and forgot to check that evening.

The next morning I promptly checked ch 131 and all the HBOs (900s and 400s) and all working perfectly!

Thanks all, hope every S3 OLED owner like myself can be successful like myself with M cards.

Note: my Data # did not change during the process as reported by some.

Also a shout out to Chrisentia, aka "Lady Boss", who overseas all the North NJ VZ stores and Carlos "da man who knows it all" in the rte 17 N. VZ store for once again making my visit to VZ a nice and short one.

Gman
Old 06-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #2205
humm

I have had very good luck when actually speaking with a verizon fios service person on the phone - surprisingly very helpful. This was not an issue with my Tivo, though - the S3 was great with FIOS.
humm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #2206
RichardnVA

I have a Series 3 and use it with Verizon Fios without any problems.
RichardnVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #2207
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

With Fios CableCards going up to $5 each in August, and with my overall Fios bill having gone up 12% in two months, I think it might be time for my OLED S3 to retire to OTA-only.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #2208
real_goose

I recently installed an M card from Ebay in my S3 HD. Now I have guide data for all the clear QAM stations on my local FiOS system. I mainly use the HD for OTA, but there are several QAM channels I was also watching. The addition of guide data makes me very happy.

Although it is claimed to be common knowledge, I learned about it in the last week from another thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=465274
real_goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #2209
teasip

Quick and excellent experience via chat with regard to finally pairing an M card with the TiVo HD this morning. Took about 10". Value no longer "?" in the CC conditional access screen.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:51 AM   #2210
Bytez

Quote:
Originally Posted by real_goose View Post
I recently installed an M card from Ebay in my S3 HD. Now I have guide data for all the clear QAM stations on my local FiOS system. I mainly use the HD for OTA, but there are several QAM channels I was also watching. The addition of guide data makes me very happy.

Although it is claimed to be common knowledge, I learned about it in the last week from another thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=465274
I thought you have to rent a cablecard from Verizon for it to work? I rather buy one if that's not the case.
Bytez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #2211
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytez View Post
I thought you have to rent a cablecard from Verizon for it to work? I rather buy one if that's not the case.
Read what you quoted again... The eBay card just gets you mapping of the clear (unencrypted) QAM channels (basically just the locals). You can already tune these with no card at all, but they're kind of useless that way on a TiVo, since the guide data doesn't match up. An eBay card fixes that.

But if you want your TiVo to receive all the normal cable channels that you're subscribed to, then (unless you subscribe to the locals-only package) you have to rent the card from Verizon, yes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote