TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: What night do you record your most shows?
Sunday 66 46.81%
Monday 13 9.22%
Tuesday 5 3.55%
Wednesday 8 5.67%
Thursday 44 31.21%
Friday 5 3.55%
Saturday 0 0%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 05-01-2012, 09:00 AM   #61
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I think they're revolutionary. VCRs were pretty highly specialized...i.e., I think a very small percentage of people used them to their full potential or even close to it. I can't remember the number, but a surprisingly high percentage of VCR owners used them exclusively for movie rentals.

I know I'm a pretty tech-savvy guy, and I used my VCR as little as possible...too much hassle for not enough benefit. I would always watch live TV if I could. My first TiVo immediately and dramatically changed the way I watched TV, and as DVR penetration has increased, I've seen people who would fall into the rental-only camp of VCR users turn into casual time-shifters.
I've always been a time-shifter. I normally watched live TV pre-tivo, and it's not unusual for me to watch live (or near live) even now, but I also did other things and couldn't always be at the tube when my shows were on.

I consider DVRs as the next step from VCRs, much like cars were the next step beyond horses. And I see clear similarities between wrestling with those tapes, especially when rushing, and dealing with horse droppings.

BEEP
allan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #62
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I agree.

But I think a lot more people use DVRs as time shifters than VCR users did. I used it as a time shifter all the time. But remember the old joke of the blinking 12:00. Hard to program something to record later if you can't even set up the clock The DVR makes it MUCH easier to do this.
Absolutely agree! For me, programming the VCR wasn't a problem, but dealing with all those physical tapes, especially when running around like a headless chicken, was a problem. And, via Murphy's Law, I would forget to insert the tape when the best show of the week was on.

BEEP
allan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #63
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
Absolutely agree! For me, programming the VCR wasn't a problem, but dealing with all those physical tapes, especially when running around like a headless chicken, was a problem. And, via Murphy's Law, I would forget to insert the tape when the best show of the week was on.
All true. Or you didn't realize you were at the end of the tape and it runs out. I split my cable connection so I always had two tuners going into the VCR so I could watch one thing and record another. I was a pretty good VCR user. I also hated that I have to watch what was next on the VCR and not always what I wanted.

Now? I forget to record something? I pull out my phone where ever I am and set it up. I get home, and there it is. The DVR to the VCR is like radio to HD TV.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #64
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Sunday is so crowded that it makes Monday the second-most crowded because second or third runs of shows on during prime time are being recorded around midnight sunday night / monday morning. Followed by Thursday then Friday.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #65
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
I wasted so much time (in hindsight) archiving programs to videotape. I had virtually every episode of Buffy and Angel taped and catalogued. Along with the Tick and some other cartoons. As the DVDs of various programs come out the tapes got boxed and eventually tossed.
In my case of all Babylon 5. (Mostly from the reruns on TNT).

I think those tapes might still be stuffed in a closet somewhere. Need to find and toss them. (If only the DVDs had been released in orignal aspect ratio. Cropping the space scenes from 4:3 down to 16:9 was a waste)
Old 01-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #66
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Sorry to bump an older thread, but I just looked at my TODO list for my 2 premires.
I am recording 12 shows tonight ( not counting letterman/Stewart/Cobert/Jimmies....)
That's a 1st for me.

NCIS
Raising Hope
Emily Owens
Go On
Happy Endings
Mindy Project
New Normal
Cougar Town
Justified
Private Practice
Vegas
Flashpoint
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #67
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIVO_GUY_HERE View Post
Sorry to bump an older thread, but I just looked at my TODO list for my 2 premires.
I am recording 12 shows tonight ( not counting letterman/Stewart/Cobert/Jimmies....)
That's a 1st for me.

NCIS
Raising Hope
Emily Owens
Go On
Happy Endings
Mindy Project
New Normal
Cougar Town
Justified
Private Practice
Vegas
Flashpoint
You must be “independently wealthy” to be able to stay home and watch TV all day.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #68
TampaThunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIVO_GUY_HERE View Post
That's a 1st for me.

NCIS
Raising Hope
Emily Owens
Go On
Happy Endings
Mindy Project
New Normal
Cougar Town
Justified
Private Practice
Vegas
Flashpoint
And I thought the 10 shows I have to do on Sunday was a lot. LOL
TampaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #69
mattack

Yeah, I think Tuesday for me too.. At first I thought I missed the ending of Go On even though I thought I had padding on it, but it was clipped due to too many recordings, AND I still had a SP on my other Tivo.. So even with 4 tuners, I was 'out of tuners' due to !@$!@$!@$!@$!# padding necessary on ABC & NBC shows.

Sunday's pretty crowded sometimes with a few Fox animated shows, Once/Revenge, Amazing Race..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #70
sharkster

I was a 'Sunday' girl, back when I first participated in this poll. Lately, however, my Wednesdays are brutally busy.

More of the Sunday shows, except Dexter of course, are eeking back in though.

Tivo Guy - Any chance Emily Owens is not cancelled? Am I the only one who likes this show? Glad to see that the second half of the first season returned, after hearing it was getting the ax, but I hope there will be more. I also wish Mamie Gummer would speak a little louder. With my tinnitis, I have to crank it way up to hear her talk. But, for some reason, I like her. Maybe it's her 'character actor' looks or maybe it's just because she is Meryl Streep's daughter.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #71
MacThor
Not Pictured

We have so few SPs we rarely have conflicts w/just two tuners, but it seems that this season has been reshuffled so all of my wife's shows are on Thursday nights. Goodbye, Glee!
MacThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #72
mwhip
All better

This Sunday will be fun:

GoT
Shameless
Walking Dead

I think I will end up watching GoT live, then watch recorded Walking Dead then live watch ShoW and Shameless.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #73
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
This Sunday will be fun:

GoT
Shameless
Walking Dead

I think I will end up watching GoT live, then watch recorded Walking Dead then live watch ShoW and Shameless.
all that and Amazing Race will start/end late because of basketball
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #74
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
This Sunday will be fun:

GoT
Shameless
Walking Dead

Aren't these all shown at various times? Shouldn't have to watch ANYTHING live
Old 03-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #75
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
all that and Amazing Race will start/end late because of basketball
I hate that. It forces me to watch the end of a CBB game that I can't stand in order to know how to set up my DVR!! I will probably have hockey on top of all that.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #76
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Aren't these all shown at various times? Shouldn't have to watch ANYTHING live
Nope all 9PM Eastern. Watching shows on premium channels live is not a big deal.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is online now   Reply With Quote