TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
TiVo Fool

What's the hold up with XFINITY OD?

Seems like the XOD roll-out is on pause. I don't think the list of cities on TiVo.com has been updated for 2 or 3 months. I'm selfishly interested in Atlanta and curious as to what the hold up is...
TiVo Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
drebbe
Carbon Blob

Nobody knows or at least whoever knows isn't talking. It's been almost a year since the rollout began in San Francisco so I understand and share your impatience.
drebbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
jlobello

It showed up in Philly suburbs last Nov without any notice. I think my family has used it all of twice. Both times where a recording got cut off or we forgot to schedule it. I instinctively tried to FF through the ads and remember that caused it to go back to the start of the show. It's nice but its not TiVo.
jlobello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
P42

Sounds like the hold up is on the Comcast side of things... does this require new equipment at the nodes etc?
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by P42 View Post
Sounds like the hold up is on the Comcast side of things... does this require new equipment at the nodes etc?
Nah, it probably just requires comcast to care :-(.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:01 AM   #6
WVZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Nah, it probably just requires comcast to care :-(.
That actually "could be" why it's not out there! It's had it's "hicups" and if they're actually attempting to get a "grip" on it then it's the right thing!

The last 4 - 6 day outage is/was a good example.
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Now that I'm on Comcast Hell I use it. It's ok but I wouldn't miss it if it was gone.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #8
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by P42 View Post
I don't know if it requires new hardware, but it does require at least software updates in the nodes to allow the VOD control commands to come over the Internet rather than back upstream on the cable, as they do with the set-top box.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
gothaggis

yeah it's annoying. They list it being available in Maryland, however it is not available in Baltimore. It's frustrating.
gothaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #10
jrtroo
User

Were we promised a larger roll out than has already taken place?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Were we promised a larger roll out than has already taken place?
I'm pretty sure we weren't promised anything.

And we're certainly getting it.
astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #12
drebbe
Carbon Blob

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I'm pretty sure we weren't promised anything.

And we're certainly getting it.
The TiVo CEO has been quoted as saying the plan was to rollout to Comcast's 15 largest markets. That remark was essentially an offhand comment on an investor call and not a promise. But I do think it will come eventually to places like Chicago, Atlanta and Houston, but the rollout is proceeding on what i call "TiVo twin time". You see TiVo management is actually on a spaceship traveling near the speed of light. To them little time has passed but to those of us on Earth.....
drebbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #13
jrtroo
User

Not really relevant.

What has Comcast promised? It is dependent upon them before fingers can be pointed at TiVo.

Last edited by jrtroo : 04-02-2013 at 06:44 AM.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #14
buscuitboy

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by drebbe View Post
But I do think it will come eventually to places like Chicago, Atlanta and Houston, but the rollout is proceeding on what i call "TiVo twin time". You see TiVo management is actually on a spaceship traveling near the speed of light. To them little time has passed but to those of us on Earth.....
Yea, I am in the Atlanta area and was hoping for this months ago for my Premieres, but at this point, I have totally given up on it and not expecting it to come to our market anytime soon. Not to mention how I have heard there are still so many bugs in it anyway. If you are in a large Comcast market and it hasn't come yet (i.e Chicago, Atlanta, Baltimore, LA, etc.), I would just move on at this point and not expect to have it. If/when it does arrive for you, it will be a pleasant surprise.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #15
Finalrinse

I'm in south east Michigan and just happen to notice it in my menu and it works great. I don't know when it became available.
Finalrinse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #16
TiVo Fool

Could the delay be related to Comcast's roll-out of their X1 platform in Atlanta? Maybe they can't walk and chew gum at the same time.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #17
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

They certainly can't get the X1 to work reliably, just had a complete outage of all of them this week and it's buggy as hell anyway.

I'm not counting on my Tivo getting VOD anytime soon, just like we all thought when the combo of Tivo and Comcast was involved.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #18
jrtroo
User

The existing roll out is actually much larger than I had expected when that PR came out a few years ago.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #19
TiVo Fool

Quote:
The existing roll out is actually much larger than I had expected when that PR came out a few years ago.
It may be larger in terms of the number of cities, but as drebbe pointed out there are some huge Comcast markets that have been left hanging.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #20
ajwees41

at least Comcast has ondemand via Tivo Cox still hasn't launched it anywhere and they announced before Comcast.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #21
jrtroo
User

I have Comcast and live near Chicago, and would like to have this as an option. I have no expectations to get it (nor do I think I would use it often- I already record what I want to watch).
Old 04-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #22
buscuitboy

Quote:
I have Comcast and live near Chicago, and would like to have this as an option. I have no expectations to get it (nor do I think I would use it often- I already record what I want to watch).

With the exception of local programming, I have found that EVERYTHING offered by Comcast VOD can pretty much be obtained elsewhere and from other sources anyway.At least a good 95% of it I personally don't "obtain" it these ways as I don't have time to watch it anyway (another reason I ultimately don't care if my TiVo gets Comcast VOD), but I know it can be done. Maybe this is why they really haven't cared too much about it.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #23
rifleman69

I don't use it on my TiVo's, actually take that back...I did use it once to watch Moneyball again. Otherwise, I'm on Amazon or Netflix...or stuff that I've recorded already!
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #24
TiVo Fool

Bump

Six more months and no more markets. Has this roll out been shut down?
Old 10-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #25
socrplyr

Apparently they never promised it to all markets. I do believe it has hit either the end of near the end of all markets that will receive it. Supposedly their deal with Tivo only covered this much.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #26
SlappyMcgee

That sux. I was reading up on the Roamio after making my purchase and saw people talk about having VOD. I waited 2 days after activating my Roamio then started looking online only to find out this is only available in a few markets. Oh well...maybe Google will get a Chromecast to work with VOD.
SlappyMcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #27
Bigg

They're waiting to see what the customer uptake is like before rolling it out to more markets. Yet another side effect of Comcast having hundreds of different feudal domains, each with different equipment, slightly different channel line-ups, etc.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #28
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo Fool View Post
Six more months and no more markets. Has this roll out been shut down?
Yes. I read somewhere (sorry, no link) that Comcast has decided to stop rolling out TiVo/VOD. Not sure what the reason was, but if you don't have it by now, you won't be getting it.

And that includes me.
astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #29
SlappyMcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Yes. I read somewhere (sorry, no link) that Comcast has decided to stop rolling out TiVo/VOD. Not sure what the reason was, but if you don't have it by now, you won't be getting it.

And that includes me.
That officially sux. I was kind of looking forward to it.
SlappyMcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #30
stujac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlobello View Post
It showed up in Philly suburbs last Nov without any notice. I think my family has used it all of twice. Both times where a recording got cut off or we forgot to schedule it. I instinctively tried to FF through the ads and remember that caused it to go back to the start of the show. It's nice but its not TiVo.
Same here, in the Philly burbs N/W and I have yet to use it. With Netflix, etc. there just is no reason for us to use it, now anyway.