TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #631
astrohip
Stuart F

In case I never said it, THANK YOU for this program. My wife religiously uses it. Before they conceived of a TiVo Mini, I created a remote TiVo TV by using an HDMI<>Ethernet adapter, run thru CAT-5 to the kitchen TV, using your program on her laptop to control her bedroom TiVo while watching the kitchen TV. She's happy, I'm happy.

Thank you!
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #632
jwagner010

Is there a way to send a command through the Network Remote interface on the Tivo to start playing a particular show? I know I can send commands that emulate presses of the remote, but is there a way just to tell the tivo which show to start playing in a single command?
jwagner010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #633
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwagner010 View Post
Is there a way to send a command through the Network Remote interface on the Tivo to start playing a particular show? I know I can send commands that emulate presses of the remote, but is there a way just to tell the tivo which show to start playing in a single command?
Not through telnet, no. But you can with series 4 units and RPC Remote such as used by iPad/Android apps & kmttg remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #634
tzroberts

DirecTV Tivo?

Has anyone played with the DirecTV TiVo? I am wondering if it accepts the same codes on port 31339 as other TiVos.
Thannks
tzroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #635
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Network Remote 0.28

A new version of my remote control program:

The Mac app bundle is now signed (for compatibility with Gatekeeper), and sandboxed -- its only permissions are network access. This cost me $99, so please donate.

GTK 3+ and ttk widgets for Tkinter are now supported, with fallbacks to the old APIs and options to select them. ttk often looks quite a bit nicer than the old Tk version. (ttk requires Python 2.7, AFAIK.)

Color highlights are now used for a few keys (A/B/C/D, Thumbs, Rec, Pause), where available (can be disabled by option).

The "graphical" button labels are now the default for most environments, selectable via option and, now, togglable at runtime by pressing "G" (capitalized -- lowercase "g" is still Guide).

Landscape mode can also now be toggled at runtime, by pressing "L" (capitalized -- lowercase "l" is still LiveTV). In addition, at startup, if the remote is too "tall" for the screen, it will switch to landscape mode automatically.

Restored shortcut keys for Aspect ("a") and CC ("c").

More robust Zeroconf.

http://wmcbrine.com/tivo/#remote

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:24 AM   #636
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Awesome, thanks so much wmcbrine! I'm traveling at the moment, but really excited to check it out when I get back home. To what address can I send a PayPal donation?

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #637
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
To what address can I send a PayPal donation?
wmcbrine@gmail.com

And there's a button at the bottom of this page.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:25 PM   #638
ppeewang

A few bugs I noticed, wondering if it is just me or if anyone else experienced these:

1. using the latest version, for some reason arrow keys don't work anymore. Any ideas ?

2. I also noticed that I can't delete anything that I have uploaded to the Tivo. Anything recorded directly from TV deletes fine. this is on both the new and older version. This was working fine before.
ppeewang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:56 AM   #639
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppeewang View Post
A few bugs I noticed, wondering if it is just me or if anyone else experienced these:

1. using the latest version, for some reason arrow keys don't work anymore. Any ideas ?

2. I also noticed that I can't delete anything that I have uploaded to the Tivo. Anything recorded directly from TV deletes fine. this is on both the new and older version. This was working fine before.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=515616

Old 04-17-2014, 10:04 PM   #640
jgbrown54

I used this to creata an app for Windows that emulates a remote. See my post at TiVo Remote Control From PC.
jgbrown54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:42 PM   #641
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Of potential interest to users and developers of remote control apps: Remote Proxy.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:13 PM   #642
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Network Remote 0.29

The Aspect and CC buttons now pull down menus with all the options for each, instead of cycling through. The "Aspect" label has been shortened to "Aspt." to fit. The keyboard shortcuts still cycle as before.

On startup, the TiVo selector is now always displayed (unless an address is given on the command line), even when only a single TiVo is found; and the entry box is included after the list of TiVos, so you can always enter an address that's not on the list. These changes can help in some cases where the TiVos' announcements aren't making it through the network, or for connecting to things (like rproxy without Zeroconf) that aren't announcing.

Ports other than 31339 can now be specified, on the command line, in the entry window, etc. (via colon notation, e.g. "1.2.3.4:5678"), and are now recognized via Zeroconf. Although no TiVos use ports other than 31339, this feature can be useful with rproxy (q.v.). When no port is given, 31339 is the default.

For Tivos proxied via rproxy (and assuming that the proxy is announcing via Zeroconf), the entry for the original TiVo is now automatically removed from the list of TiVos available to connect to at startup (since you can't connect to it anyway).

The Mac app bundle now uses the default Python (2.7) instead of 2.6. This is necessary to get the benefits of ttk, but it drops support for OS X 10.6 in the resulting app. (You can still use the non-app version.) Let me know if this is an issue.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 05-26-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:55 PM   #643
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thanks for the update, wmcbrine! I'm liking the new "splash of color" on some of the buttons

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
On startup, the TiVo selector is now always displayed (unless an address is given on the command line), even when only a single TiVo is found; and the entry box is included after the list of TiVos, so you can always enter an address that's not on the list.
I am using the Mac app bundle and it's working fine. I've only got one TiVo and have never had an issue with its announcement not making it through the network. I wanted to avoid that new confirmatory click every time I launched the app, so I manually edited line #94 in the "Network Remote.pyw" file (inside Contents/Resources,) inserting my TiVo's IP address (and then also made sure my TiVo's IP address wouldn't change from that.)

Thanks again, for your work on this very useful app, and all the great assistance and explanation you provide.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!

Last edited by Fofer : 05-27-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #644
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
... I manually edited line #94 in the "Network Remote.pyw" file (inside Contents/Resources,) inserting my TiVo's IP address
Huh... I'd have thought that would break the app signing, and OS X would therefore refuse to run it, but disturbingly, it doesn't.

Edit: It does at least say "a sealed resource is missing or invalid", but only if I inspect it. I guess it would only be blocked on first run. Ugh.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 05-27-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:11 PM   #645
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Network Remote 0.30

Just some workarounds for problems with rproxy, and a new icon for the OS X app.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:24 PM   #646
dallyn

has anyone noticed problems with the telnet on a mini after the update that changed the timeout to 4 hours?

I can telnet in, but every command I try said command not recognized.

any ideas?
dallyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #647
TerpBE
Go Terps!

Controlling Tivo and Tasker?

I recently got an Android phone and have been playing around with Tasker. Has anyone tried using Tasker to control their Tivo?

It seems like it SHOULD work using a tasker-enabled Telnet client, but for some reason none of the telnet clients I have tried seem to be able to "see" my Tivo. However, the Tivo app and other "Tivo remote" apps seem to work fine. Does anyone have any tips on accessing my Tivo via an android telnet client?

My initial thought for a task would be to automatically enable parental controls at a certain time (6:00 AM) so if my kids get up and turn on TV they'd be enabled even if I was up really late with them disabled. But there are endless possibilities for things to do with tasker:

- one-button enabling/disabling of parental controls

- if it's a weekday and my commute is longer than "X" minutes, tune to the local news when I wake up.

- If a twitter account announces a police chase, tune to a news channel and begin recording.

- etc, etc

Surely I can't be the first to think of using Tasker and Tivo. Has anyone been successful getting them to work together? (or even just telnetting commands from an android phone?)
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:01 PM   #648
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
^^ I like where your head's at. Some great ideas there. Couple IFTTT.com with Tasker and TiVo and you've got yourself a winning combination right there!

Old 06-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #649
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpBE View Post
It seems like it SHOULD work using a tasker-enabled Telnet client, but for some reason none of the telnet clients I have tried seem to be able to "see" my Tivo.
I know nothing about Tasker, but note that the remote service is on port 31339, not 23 (the standard telnet port). It doesn't really use the telnet protocol, either, although telnet clients generally work.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #650
TerpBE
Go Terps!

Quote:
I know nothing about Tasker, but note that the remote service is on port 31339, not 23 (the standard telnet port). It doesn't really use the telnet protocol, either, although telnet clients generally work.
I was using 31339, but I'm still having problems. I've been in touch with the guy who wrote the tasker "Send/Expect" plugin, and he said he's going to try it himself. If I get it working, I'll post it here.
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:56 AM   #651
tzroberts

Charmin

I have been using port 31339 to control my TiVo since series 3, I can't believe in Roamio Series 5, this is still not fixed in TiVo land.
The issue is, this port just stops working (no response, no control) once you enter into a "promo" menu. The most common "promo" menu are the charmin coupon or app in TiVo Central.

If using port 31339 is the only way you are controlling your TiVo and you enter this menu, this is a big deal, especially if you are on the 3rd floor and your TiVo is in the basement viewed through a distribution system. The box either needs to be rebooted or if you still have a remote, pressing LiveTV will also allow the the port to work again.

I have tried bringing this to the attention of tech support, but they have no
idea what I am talking about. Any else know of a work around or know who and how to request TiVo finally fix this?
Old 06-29-2014, 03:17 AM   #652
telemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzroberts View Post
I have been using port 31339 to control my TiVo since series 3, I can't believe in Roamio Series 5, this is still not fixed in TiVo land.
The issue is, this port just stops working (no response, no control) once you enter into a "promo" menu. The most common "promo" menu are the charmin coupon or app in TiVo Central.
What actual remote program are you using? I'm using a 31339 app, and I don't have this problem on Series 4 on 20.4.1 and can navigate Charmin and the Fall preview apps.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:10 PM   #653
tzroberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
What actual remote program are you using? I'm using a 31339 app, and I don't have this problem on Series 4 on 20.4.1 and can navigate Charmin and the Fall preview apps.
Thanks for the response.

I have tried my own programming and I have tried one from Crestron. Both have the same issue. Once I navigate into a level or two deep into the Charmin menu, I can no longer use port 31339. I tried to close the connection the port and then open it again, but as long as I am in the Charmin menu, I lose control. Of coarse I just tried it now and there is no "promo" Charmin menu, so I can't tell you how deep I get before loosing the port.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:11 PM   #654
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Network Remote 0.31

Added a "Back" button, an "Mcr." (Macros) button (including Clock and SPS30), and a "Vid." (Video mode) button to allow direct video mode setting. Keyboard shortcuts are now bound to all buttons in Tkinter (as they had already been in Gtk), eliminating the problem of clicking on a button and losing keyboard shortcuts. Plus new zeroconf, and new icon (again).

Old 08-16-2014, 11:48 PM   #655
ppeewang

Thanks for the update! Thhe shortcut were a problem for me a while back.

one question, is it possible to incorporate a custom skip ?

like skip ahead X minutes via a macro. kmttg has this type of feature
Thanks
ppeewang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:31 AM   #656
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppeewang View Post
one question, is it possible to incorporate a custom skip ?
Not with the "Crestron" protocol.

Quote:
like skip ahead X minutes via a macro.
Well, with a macro, sure -- you can do anything with a macro. You could make one that was just ['ADVANCE', 'ADVANCE', 'ADVANCE', 'ADVANCE']. But to me, it seems just as easy to hit the equals key four times... I can already skip faster that way than with the real remote.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:34 AM   #657
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I'm not sure if this is generally known, but I got access to a THR-22 (DirecTV TiVo) the other day, and the port 31339 remote interface works there. I got a weird name for the TiVo in my network remote (and there seems to be no way to set the name), but otherwise it worked fine.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #658
rgr

Great remote, love the simplicity!

Two questions:
1) I like how the "c" button toggles closed caption on/off. Can the button on the remote also do the same? Seems like extra work to click button, then select on off.

2) Is there an android app for this? I know there are others, but it'd e great to have a single interface between platforms.

Thanks!
rgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:16 PM   #659
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr View Post
1) I like how the "c" button toggles closed caption on/off. Can the button on the remote also do the same? Seems like extra work to click button, then select on off.
That's how it worked before 0.29. The problem is, since 0.25 -- prior to that, this button was a true toggle, which sent a sequence of keys to navigate the Info menu -- I use the direct CC codes, IRCODE CC_ON and IRCODE CC_OFF. But the remote program has no way to determine what caption state the TiVo is in; so, to make this work as a toggle, I arbitrarily assumed a state at startup (off), and alternated the command sent, based on that state. Half the time, that starting assumption would be wrong, requiring an extra press to get the desired result (although the caption status syncs up after the first press). And you'd basically have to wait for a caption to appear (or not appear) to even know that you weren't in the right state yet.

That was always a kludge. Although the shortcut key still works that way (since I don't want to assign two shortcut keys to caption control), the pull-down menu button now allows you to choose the new caption status directly, regardless of the current status, or the remote program's ignorance thereof. This is how it should work.

Quote:
2) Is there an android app for this? I know there are others, but it'd e great to have a single interface between platforms.
There's no Android version of my remote, no. There are a number of Android apps that use the Crestron interface, which are worth checking out -- although they're limited compared to the official TiVo app, they also lack some of its problems. I'd just do a search for "tivo" on the Play store to find them. But offhand, I know of RCX and DVR Commander, and an older one that's not on the store anymore. (Edit: As I think of it, I'm not sure DVR Commander doesn't use the iPad interface instead of Crestron. Anyway, it's an alternative to check out.)

Last edited by wmcbrine : 08-23-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:39 AM   #660
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
That's how it worked before 0.29. The problem is, since 0.25 -- prior to that, this button was a true toggle, which sent a sequence of keys to navigate the Info menu -- I use the direct CC codes, IRCODE CC_ON and IRCODE CC_OFF. But the remote program has no way to determine what caption state the TiVo is in; so, to make this work as a toggle, I arbitrarily assumed a state at startup (off), and alternated the command sent, based on that state.
You could have a toggle if you had the code for the function with simply math.
For example,

IRCODE_CC_on = 1,
IRCODE_CC_off = -1,
CC_Toggle=-1
Press CC,
if CC_Toggle = -1 sends "IRCODE CC_ON"
if CC_Toggle=1 sends "IRCODE CC_OFF"

then codes CC_Toggle = CC_Toggle * -1
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote