TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #31
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Back to the topic on hand:

So, a question for the people who take advantage of this loophole, set up the Mini, and then return return the 4 tuner TiVo: What happens when down the road the Mini stops working? Are you going to buy another 4 tuner TiVo to get the Mini working again, and then return the 4 tuner TiVo, again?
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #32
aaronwt
HD Addict

Has anyone even said they would try it? I really don't see the point because at some point it will not work.

Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #33
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
Back to the topic on hand:

So, a question for the people who take advantage of this loophole, set up the Mini, and then return return the 4 tuner TiVo: What happens when down the road the Mini stops working? Are you going to buy another 4 tuner TiVo to get the Mini working again, and then return the 4 tuner TiVo, again?
If you have two Lifetime TPs you can sell them on E-Bay, purchase a TP-4 and a Mini + a 2Tb drive, purchase cost with some sales tax under $1100, I just sold my 2 TPs today on E-Bay for $1090 for both, my net after shipping was about $990, my cash outlay is now about $100 or so + I can sell my two "N" TiVo adapters for a net of $80 for both, so the cost is very little. I know this is not for everybody but if you are going to go into this odd ball way of getting a Mini to work, you should be able to do what I just did so you know the job is done correctly.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #34
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I really don't see the point because at some point it will not work.

You don't know that unless you've tried it or a Tivo official has stated that this is the case. That's the entire point of this thread.

I may give this a try in the next month or two.

Last edited by mr_smits : 03-25-2013 at 03:56 PM.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #35
SugarBowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
If you have two Lifetime TPs you can sell them on E-Bay, purchase a TP-4 and a Mini + a 2Tb drive, purchase cost with some sales tax under $1100, I just sold my 2 TPs today on E-Bay for $1090 for both, my net after shipping was about $990, my cash outlay is now about $100 or so + I can sell my two "N" TiVo adapters for a net of $80 for both, so the cost is very little. I know this is not for everybody but if you are going to go into this odd ball way of getting a Mini to work, you should be able to do what I just did so you know the job is done correctly.
If you have cable this is fine, but not for OTA only.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #36
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
You don't know that unless you've tried it or a Tivo official has stated that this is the case. That's the entire point of this thread.

I may give this a try in the next month or two.
The only way to know for sure is to set it up for the long term. But I would be shocked if it could be set up that way indefinitely. I figure at some point it would need to recheck to see if the P4 is still on the account.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #37
mr_smits

Quote:
The only way to know for sure is to set it up for the long term. But I would be shocked if it could be set up that way indefinitely. I figure at some point it would need to recheck to see if the P4 is still on the account.
How long is long term? 30 days? 60?

I actually think it is more likely to be set up that way. From a programming perspective, what checks would Tivo build in and what purpose would those serve *after* the initial set up? It seems like a waste of initial and ongoing resources to keep checking without a specific purpose.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #38
lessd

Quote:
How long is long term? 30 days? 60?

I actually think it is more likely to be set up that way. From a programming perspective, what checks would Tivo build in and what purpose would those serve *after* the initial set up? It seems like a waste of initial and ongoing resources to keep checking without a specific purpose.
We don't know what the system is that the Mini uses, I could not get my Mini to mate to my new TiVo Q4 (before I put a cable card in the unit), the TiVo CSR told me to try and pull the cable card out of another Q4 and see if the Mini would mate, and it would still mate to that Q4 so I did not think is was the cable card, so much for that assumption, as I put a cable card into the new Q4 (from one of my TPs) and after a call home it mated great !!. So if your OTA you can't get the Mini to mate to any Q4 as you don't have any cable cards.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #39
steve614
what ru lookin at?

In order to know for sure, someone is going to have to be the guinea pig.

I don't think it will work long term. TiVo could easily add code (if it doesn't already exist) to shut down the Mini if the host it was paired with fails to call in within X number of days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #40
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
In order to know for sure, someone is going to have to be the guinea pig.

I don't think it will work long term. TiVo could easily add code (if it doesn't already exist) to shut down the Mini if the host it was paired with fails to call in within X number of days.

Tivo could do that -- but why would they go out of their way to close a loophole that only a small percentage of users will use? Right now, the loophole is the only way OTA users can use the Mini.

If the loophole is planned to be closed, I hope it is after the next Tivo box with OTA support is released. That is really the only reason why I will be testing this out.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #41
Saxion
Substantive Member

Quote:
Tivo could do that -- but why would they go out of their way to close a loophole that only a small percentage of users will use?
I agree. TiVo has a history of leaving backdoor features alone that are only known by "in-the-know" power users (like 30-sec skip). I believe the reasons the Mini is tied to a 4-tuner TiVo are 1) fear of support costs and 2) fear of not meeting user expectations: TiVo wants to ensure MOCA is available (to discourage streaming over WiFi) and wants to minimize the disruption of stealing a tuner for live TV. In particular, I don't believe their primary motivation is to encourage folks to upgrade to a 4-tuner host; if that were the case why not just delay the Mini and have it only work with the next gen TiVo HW shipping in the fall?

For power users who understand the limitations of using a 2-tuner TiVo, I don't think TiVo would actively block their use by closing such a loophole. It's not worth their time, and they gain almost nothing from ticking off their power users.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #42
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxion View Post
I agree. TiVo has a history of leaving backdoor features alone that are only known by "in-the-know" power users (like 30-sec skip). I believe the reasons the Mini is tied to a 4-tuner TiVo are 1) fear of support costs and 2) fear of not meeting user expectations: TiVo wants to ensure MOCA is available (to discourage streaming over WiFi) and wants to minimize the disruption of stealing a tuner for live TV. In particular, I don't believe their primary motivation is to encourage folks to upgrade to a 4-tuner host; if that were the case why not just delay the Mini and have it only work with the next gen TiVo HW shipping in the fall?

For power users who understand the limitations of using a 2-tuner TiVo, I don't think TiVo would actively block their use by closing such a loophole. It's not worth their time, and they gain almost nothing from ticking off their power users.
The problem is that to use this, a person needs to buy a P4, add it to the account and then remove it and get a refund. That right there should be a big incentive for TiVo to prevent it.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #43
Saxion
Substantive Member

Quote:
The problem is that to use this, a person needs to buy a P4, add it to the account and then remove it and get a refund. That right there should be a big incentive for TiVo to prevent it.
If this worked for a small number of people now, but TiVo decided later to discourage it going forward (for the above reason), would it be in TiVo's best interest to break existing working systems in use by some of their power users? One could argue that at that point it would be in TiVo's best interest to create a new backdoor (SPS code, whatever) that would allow such users to continue to use their existing HW but without needing to buy/return a 4-tuner host.

It comes down to probabilities, but there is a good chance that either this loophole (if it currently exists) won't be actively shut down, or if it is then an alternative loophole might be opened.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #44
mr_smits

Quote:
It comes down to probabilities, but there is a good chance that either this loophole (if it currently exists) won't be actively shut down, or if it is then an alternative loophole might be opened.
I agree.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #45
Bigg

Quote:
If this worked for a small number of people now, but TiVo decided later to discourage it going forward (for the above reason), would it be in TiVo's best interest to break existing working systems in use by some of their power users? One could argue that at that point it would be in TiVo's best interest to create a new backdoor (SPS code, whatever) that would allow such users to continue to use their existing HW but without needing to buy/return a 4-tuner host.

It'll take them 5 years to fix it and by then, everyone will have newer hardware that supports the Mini anyways.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #46
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
It'll take them 5 years to fix it and by then, everyone will have newer hardware that supports the Mini anyways.
Why would TiVo fix something that they don't support, if people want to purchase a Mini for a non supported use, that does not harm TiVo in any way I can think of.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #47
tivoboy

yes

Quote:
Plenty of auctions on Ebay end up at a price that is higher than getting the product from Amazon and other online retailers.
yes, but tivo owners aren't that stupid. ;-)
tivoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #48
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboy View Post
yes, but tivo owners aren't that stupid. ;-)
The new ones who paid $375 for a 6 year old TiVo might be.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.

Last edited by Arcady : 04-12-2013 at 03:43 AM.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #49
Bigg

Quote:
Why would TiVo fix something that they don't support, if people want to purchase a Mini for a non supported use, that does not harm TiVo in any way I can think of.
I don't know. That timescale is just something TiVo would do.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #50
Saxion
Substantive Member

So, who's going to try this first?
Old 04-15-2013, 05:11 AM   #51
Austin Bike

Quote:
Because to make this work you buy a 4-tuner system, then return it for a refund. This will become expensive for TiVo and if it becomes a problem they would take steps to keep it from happening.
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #52
mr_smits

Quote:
So, who's going to try this first?
I said I would, but I am holding off for the time being. I just cut the cord and made the switchover for the entire house yesterday. I'm returning my 3 cable cards and tuning adapter this afternoon.

If OTA only doesn't work or isn't satisfactory for our needs, then I will try out this loophole by (1) buying a 4 tuner Elite (2) buying 2 minis (3) activating and using the Elite for a few days (4) disconnecting the Elite and waiting to return it for a refund before the return window has closed. If the loophole works, I'll keep the Minis. If the loophole doesn't work, I'll return the 2 Minis as well.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #53
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
Because to make this work you buy a 4-tuner system, then return it for a refund. This will become expensive for TiVo and if it becomes a problem they would take steps to keep it from happening.
I can't see many people doing this return stuff, too much of a pain for not much gain, you can sell a Lifetime TP on E-Bay and upgrade to a new TP-4 for under $200.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #54
Austin Bike

eBay is easier than walking back to best buy for 100% cash back? You have to place the item, pay eBay, get paid by the seller, then ship it to him. I can't see a world where you can do all that and not lose money. And time.

The implication from the original post is that you just need a 4 tuner for a day to get the mini activated.
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #55
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
eBay is easier than walking back to best buy for 100% cash back? You have to place the item, pay eBay, get paid by the seller, then ship it to him. I can't see a world where you can do all that and not lose money. And time.

The implication from the original post is that you just need a 4 tuner for a day to get the mini activated.
What I was trying to say is trading up from a TP to a TP-4 but I forgot about OTA missing on the TP-4, my Mini would not connect to my TP-4 until I put an active cable card into the TP-4, that may be a problem as one would also have to get and return a cable card.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #56
Arcady
Stargate Fan

You guys sound like a bunch of people putting Ferrari body kits on a Fiero.

Just buy the real thing. Guess what? It costs less than the Fiero.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:11 AM   #57
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Totally missed the point, which is that if you're OTA only and you want a Mini you have to do dumb stuff like this. Dumb because of Tivo's limitations, that is.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #58
farmermac
Super user

Quote:
Except TiVo is so used to having tivos returned because of out of the box problems they'll never notice
Old 04-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #59
Saxion
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
You guys sound like a bunch of people putting Ferrari body kits on a Fiero. Just buy the real thing.
Snarky remarks aren't helpful. What, exactly, are OTA-only people supposed to buy?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #60
atmuscarella

Quote:
Snarky remarks aren't helpful.
Quote:
What, exactly, are OTA-only people supposed to buy?
Another Premiere or used Series 3 unit is the only option right now.

Hopefully TiVo will release a new unit that supports OTA that will support the Mini for those who do not want multiple DVRs but until then whole home for OTA = multiple DVRs.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote