TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
cheesesteak
Meh.

Spartacus: War Of The Damned "Separate Paths" 3/22/2013

I'm wondering who had the worst day, Crixus or Caesar.

I lol'd when Crassus asked Caesar "Dude, what happened to you and why are you walking?"

God, I hate Naevia. Will that harpy never die? Crixus was a badass until she turned him into whiner. It's gotten to the point where I hope one of those cartoon anvils falls out of the sky and crushes her skull.

He's a total jerk but Tiberius is no King Joffrey.

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I was wondering if we were the only ones still watching. It's not all bad, but this season sure is lacking in the charm that made the Blood & Boobs and Gods of the Arena seasons so good. Only 2 eps left (and none this week).

What's the deal is with Kore? Is she a refugee or a plant?

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
What's the deal is with Kore? Is she a refugee or a plant?
I think it's pretty clear she's a refugee. She left when Daddy told her that she was going to be Sonny's permanent %#^@-toy.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
cheesesteak
Meh.

With all the sex and orgies on this show, I'm wondering why all the women aren't permanently pregnant and the men don't have six strains of mutant VD.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
With all the sex and orgies on this show, I'm wondering why all the women aren't permanently pregnant and the men don't have six strains of mutant VD.
It's the song, keeps them strong and safe.

"Blood rains down from an angry sky. My c**k rages on, my c**k rages on..."

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
retrodog
King Button Pusher

I just happy that we aren't hearing some reference to Jupiter's c##k in every discussion. That got really old earlier in the season.

I'm also getting a little tired of the Kung Fu fight scenes. Slowing the motion down might be nice to dramatize every key impact, cut, or stab... but it does indeed get to be too much and really sometimes pushes me back out to the real world.
Vegetarians- The #1 preferred food source of carnivores.

Alcohol kills brain cells. But it's only the ones that were annoying the crap out of you anyway.
retrodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
sburnside1

The stories and twists were so much better the first 2 seasons.

I was also waiting to see Naevia die. I don't know who I was most looking forward to dying this season, Naevia or Tiberius. Assuming either or both die.

The deaths just don't have the same impact this season. Too many to kill in too few episodes left.
sburnside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Syphilis wasn't until Columbus' expedition came back in 1493, Gono may have been around in biblical times, but for most people it's asymptomatic (and can cause infertility).

Herpes is/was a "meh" disease and one was expected to have it as a mark of adulthood. It only became recently stigmatized (like mid 1970s) when someone wanted to sell a drug (acyclovir).

There are historical reports of a (now extinct) plant that was driven to extinction because it was a very effective birth control agent. Silphium, I think.

--Carlos V.

Last edited by Unbeliever : 03-25-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

I'm glad others share my hate of Naevia. I was crushed when she was still alive at the end. I can only assume we will be treated to her being tortured. I just want her gone.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #10
astrohip
Stuart F

Still watch every week, but agree with others, this season doesn't seem to have the impact and/or thrill of the first ones. Randoms...

* I will admit to a real sadness seeing Crixus die. He's been with us since the beginning, and was a heck of a character.

* Didn't mind Naeveaie the first season (or two?). But don't like (1) the way they've written her character lately, and (2) the actor playing her (liked the original much more).

* Wasn't thrilled seeing Caesar getting raped. Seemed out of place for someone of such historical regard. Nonetheless...

* I would love to see a spin-off of Caesar. I really like the actor, and could see a multi-season series around him. And yes, I remember Rome (and loved it), but that was then and this is now. Plus that was HBO & 200 million dollars; let's do it on Starz on a Spartacus budget.

* I've learned that whenever the slow-mo king-fu bloodfest starts, I can 2XFF until it ends. It's *always* a waste of time, with zero story development. (This is in response to retro's comment, which is spot-on)

* Wasn't there a specific comment made that the rebel army would be able to get to Rome before Crassus could? That was part of why the rebels wanted to attack, because there was little defense left. Yet they showed Crassus arriving on time. Did I miss (or mis-hear) something?
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I've enjoyed the season more than most of you, mostly because it's fun knowing the history, watching them diverge from it, and trying to figure out how they'll veer back towards the inevitable conclusion.
Spoiler:
Rome wins.

Their treatment of Crassus and Caesar is almost comical. And what they've done with Crixus is interesting...IRL he and Spartacus were always close friends; they split up very early in the rebellion (but for mostly the same reasons); and it was Crixus's death at the hands of the first general who went after them that brought Spartacus back into the fray (and led to the rather spectacular defeat we saw earlier in the season). So they've changed the contours of the relationship pretty dramatically, but in ways that make for better storytelling (dramatic conflict between Spartacus and Crixus in the early seasons; Crixus remaining in the show for most of this season).

As for Caesar, he was overseas at this time, and had nothing to do with any of this. I was amused by his rape, in that the ancient Romans had a joke: "Hide your daughters when Caesar comes to town. And your sons." But even in that context, the rape scene was historically plausible, since the Roman attitude towards homosexuality was that it's better to give than to receive, and even a bisexual would have been shamed under those circumstances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
* Wasn't there a specific comment made that the rebel army would be able to get to Rome before Crassus could? That was part of why the rebels wanted to attack, because there was little defense left. Yet they showed Crassus arriving on time. Did I miss (or mis-hear) something?
The argument was whether they should go after Spartacus (who was going north) or Crixus (who was heading towards Rome). Crassus wanted the get Spartacus once and for all, and hope that he could get to Rome in time; Caesar wanted to go straight for Rome, and head Crixus off. Obviously, Caesar ended up winning the argument.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
I'm glad others share my hate of Naevia. I was crushed when she was still alive at the end. I can only assume we will be treated to her being tortured. I just want her gone.
My best friend watches this show and 90% of our Spartacus conversations now are how much we hate Naevia. I don't mind the actress change so much even though the first one was much better looking. It's the character change that I hate. Now she's some super warrior with ninja fighting skills like a cross between Crixus and Nikita who constantly undercuts Spartacus for her dumb as an ox boyfriend.

I'm assuming that Tiberius is a fictional character. I can't find any reference to him on wikipedia and if it's not there it didn't happen.