TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > Developers Corner
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #31
jhilla

Red face Enter Webz: Bailout! =)

David you saved me again, yesturday the internal Youtube app went offline for maintenence or just went broke. i activated your batch file and was back in business in seconds. I can't wait to see how this new update stands out. I think I need to do some diggin to see about making it a service instead of running the batch. I've done it before, but lost the link that showed me how. I'll let you know if i find it.
jhilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #32
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

Linux/Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidblackledge View Post
Update is available for download
Major changes:
  • Added “hme:” thumztak default for Reversi game; support TiVoConnect relative URLs.
  • Better page formatting: implemented CSS Specificity rules, improved CSS inheritance.
  • Update to JSoup 1.7.2 with more CSS selector support; (JSoup 1.7.3 may get my request allowing better decision on internal vs. TiVo’s Video Player for long videos.)
  • First launch scripts for Linux, Mac. Added instructions for JAVA_HOME failure in Win.
  • Better list bullets: “middot” character for disc type, “degree” character for circle, filled square character (unsupported by font, so shows as an unfilled rectangle) for square and “#” for all number/letter bullets.
  • Improve display handling of “back” hint, backgrounds, image bullets, #section links
  • Font size changed through Information Menu is saved. Font size changed with # buttons on page is temporary, 0 reverts to saved size.
  • Added “Maximize” mode in Information Menu
  • Added “Left also works as Back” mode (on by default) in Information Menu (more natural for TiVo, but annoying for mistakes)
  • Added Password mode to hide text in TyPo keyboard; Fixed: text field direct entry with slide/USB keyboard didn’t do capitals
  • Rudimentary FRAME/IFRAME support (converts to links)
  • Cookies for thumztaks are updated on quit (“re-THUMB after login” no longer needed)
  • Bug fixes (includes: post-redirect URL wasn’t used for relative content, forms with multiple same-named entries submit better)
If you're a Linux or Mac user, please let me know if the launch script works from this newest version!

Thanks... getting closer to a full release and a public server! ;]
Let me know any must-haves!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
David.Blackledge.com Solitaire/FreeCell, Calendar, Map...
hmedev.wikidot.com
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
davidblackledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #33
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Cool, thanks!

I tried the launch script ("Enter Webz.command?") on my Mac, running OS X 10.8.2 but got "Permission denied." Any help?

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #34
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
I tried the launch script ("Enter Webz.command?") on my Mac, running OS X 10.8.2 but got "Permission denied." Any help?
Thanks for trying it. I think I know what the problem is and it probably has the same problem in Linux. The "execute" permissions have to be set on the scripts. I think I know how to fix that for the next release.

In the meantime, I don't have a mac, but I think the instructions you need to add "execute" permission to the script are here:
http://www.macinstruct.com/node/415
using the "File : Get Info" window or "chmod" on the command line.
Thanks again!

hmedev.wikidot.com
Old 02-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #35
Allanon

Can you get this webpage to work better:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/guide/...are-coming-up/

It loads very slow and when I try to scroll it cause a blue screen error. I created a HME app that displays this page's information but if you are going to make a public server then I would like it to work so I can view the page even when my computer is off. Thanks!
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #36
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanon View Post
Can you get this webpage to work better:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/guide/...are-coming-up/

It loads very slow and when I try to scroll it cause a blue screen error.
This is a good example of a difficult page for Enter Webz... I've seen a few of them.
On my TiVo, the screen goes pink and many UI parts disappear, and it can crash. Something about the web page results in Enter Webz using up all of the graphics memory or other HME limits and things kind of freak out. I think this is always going to be a problem. I intend to optimize to reduce the times this happens, and maybe I can find out what the limit is and track it so I handle the case before it freaks out.

In the meantime, it "fixed" it for me when I turned off "table layout" (in the "info" menu). (for me, the UI button colors were wrong because of the "freak out" until after this was done). This makes every table cell show up vertically with the rest of the page, reducing how much is on the screen at once.

It might alternatively improve things to use a larger font size - that would also reduce the amount of stuff on the screen at one time. I suspect this is mainly a problem with how many images are displayed at once, though.

I do see there is a lot of room for optimization in Enter Webz, so I suspect this page will start working as soon as I get some of that done.

hmedev.wikidot.com
Old 02-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #37
Allanon

Have you considered rendering to an image and then just showing the image of the webpage on the Tivo? This would eliminate memory and resource issues. I did this a while back using HME for Python and the QtWebkit module that comes with PyQT. This makes the webpage look exactly like on a computer web browser. My webpage viewer updated the image every second for 640x480 and every 3 seconds for 1280x720. I was able to scroll but nothing else. I wanted to add other features but never got around to it.

Another method that works is rendering the full webpage to a bunch of images and string those images together when scrolling. This means the webpage is static but it is fast because you can just upload the images to the Tivo and just display and translate them when scrolling. You can still scroll through links using the position of the webpage elements and a little math. For sites like IMDB and the one I posted this is probably the best and easiest way to view the page.

BTW, I understand what you are doing is much more impressive than just rendering to an image but the Tivo only has a few resources and most webpages are going to use them up. What you might consider is keeping a list of resources on the computer and only rendering the resources that are currently visible on the Tivo screen. And removing or re-purposing resources as they leave the Tivo screen. This would limit the needed resources and probably increase loading speed.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #38
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

Quote:
Have you considered rendering to an image and then just showing the image of the webpage on the Tivo? This would eliminate memory and resource issues.
BTW, I understand what you are doing is much more impressive than just rendering to an image but the Tivo only has a few resources and most webpages are going to use them up. What you might consider is keeping a list of resources on the computer and only rendering the resources that are currently visible on the Tivo screen. And removing or re-purposing resources as they leave the Tivo screen. This would limit the needed resources and probably increase loading speed.
One of my main focuses is running on a remote server. As part of that, I want to minimize network traffic to the server and minimize processing on the server as much as possible. For instance, I want to make the TiVo do all the webpage image work by just giving it a URL... that's why all the large or unsupported images don't work - I have no intention of ever proxying those images through the server to fix them. I definitely don't want to do ALL the work on the server then do the ADDITIONAL work of doing an entire image transfer every few seconds.
I also didn't intend this to be a general web browser, just the uses I mentioned in the first post. That said, I want it to work as well as possible for valuable-for-viewing-on-TV pages like yours.

After Enter Webz builds the data structures it needs, it renders one row of text and images at a time until it hits the bottom of the screen. When you scroll, the rows slide up the screen and the ones that go off screen are completely freed, except for image stream resources in case they're used again on that page. Everything is freed when you hit "back"... but not when you go forward (although the version of Bananas I'm using does free up old pages after you go forward about 10, and I could change that number)

Resource issues do exist, though. I have to build an additional view for every text style change in the row, for every image, for every background color, and for every background image. I also have one view to contain each row, one to handle focus for each link, several for each form field, etc.
I'm also using the Bananas toolkit to do the focus arrows which, I believe, adds a view for each arrow, for each focusable area... I could do something custom there.
I also want to consolidate consecutive rows that have the same formatting into a single large text-wrapped view. I could probably also consolidate link views... you've probably noticed that each change in formatting in the same link acts like a new link on the page.
Finally, according to the simulator, I'm creating views that I don't end up using in a number of places, so I need to find and squash those cases.

However, I suspect the major problems are
1) tables - necessarily more views at a time - basically treats a table cell as a new set of display rows, currently doesn't know how to stop rendering a table cell when it goes below the bottom of the screen - this is a major problem for some pages that put everything in a few giant table cells. Your page does this, too. Nested tables are an even bigger problem - my first attempts to handle that went badly. Instead it's sort of resetting when it hits a nested table.
2) too many views on screen at once... I believe 256 is the limit according to docs, but that was pre-HD docs - some limits have gone up, so maybe this did, too.
3) graphics memory limitations - http://tivohme.sourceforge.net/docs/...html#wp1150653 may have changed in HD, too.
I'm probably violating several of these frequently. This is the hardest to get around and still render the page decently. It's also the harder one to check ahead of time.
4) repeating backgrounds - I'm currently stretching background images as a shortcut instead of repeating the same image over and over... in general that should save me a bunch of graphics issues, but I suspect that stretched images may take up extra memory or have some other dangerous side effects. They certainly cause major problems with the simulator, but the TiVo handles it better.

One thing I keep considering, however, is completely rewriting the rendering to use CSSBox - assuming I can get it to use JSoup for URL loading and my code to decide on Image and Font information per the TiVo box. It will figure out all the rendering using meta information and I could just render everything it says is in the current scrolled area, precisely how it would look in a real browser.
It wouldn't fix all the resource problems, but it would simplify the rendering to majorly reduce the number of views, and it may make it easier to analyze the result for graphics limitation violations. Plus the layout would be better and would handle nested tables.

hmedev.wikidot.com
Old 02-18-2013, 01:23 AM   #39
Allanon

Quote:
One of my main focuses is running on a remote server. As part of that, I want to minimize network traffic to the server and minimize processing on the server as much as possible. For instance, I want to make the TiVo do all the webpage image work by just giving it a URL... that's why all the large or unsupported images don't work - I have no intention of ever proxying those images through the server to fix them. I definitely don't want to do ALL the work on the server then do the ADDITIONAL work of doing an entire image transfer every few seconds.
I could be wrong but doesn't an image still get downloaded to the server then uploaded to the Tivo if you just supply a URL for an image? Looking at the HME Python code it opens the image's file and sends the data to the Tivo not just the filename. Maybe Java HME is different?

Anyways I do see your point about trying to keep bandwidth at a minimum. But if my assumption about images being downloaded to the server is correct then just uploading 1-5 1280x720 images of a webpage might be less bandwidth than uploading 10-20 images that haven't been resized to fit the page, plus all the text and tables.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:28 AM   #40
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
I could be wrong but doesn't an image still get downloaded to the server then uploaded to the Tivo if you just supply a URL for an image? Looking at the HME Python code it opens the image's file and sends the data to the Tivo not just the filename.
You can specify an image as a Stream, as with audio and video. In that case the TiVo fetches it directly.

Quote:
Maybe Java HME is different?
Nope.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #41
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

What he said... ;]

That's also a major technical problem Enter Webz faces... I don't (yet) know a way to tell the TiVo "send these headers/cookies/referer to the website when you request the stream" - that's why so many images show up as errors - those websites refuse to send the stream if the request doesn't appear to come from the one who saw the HTML page.

I strongly believe it can be done with the "TeDict" parameters passed on stream creation, but haven't figured out the right format. I'd love to have help on this.

I tried sending somebody at TiVo this question out of desperation, but they didn't respond.

hmedev.wikidot.com
Old 03-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #42
dadrepus

Changed permissions on my mac to 755 for file "Enter Webz.command. Tried to run file in terminal. Got this: dad$ /Applications/EnterWebzDist/Enter\ Webz.command ; exit;
-bash: /Applications/EnterWebzDist/Enter Webz.command: /bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
logout
What did i do wrong? I just dragged the file into the terminal window to give me the path for the chmod. At least now it opens in terminal.
dadrepus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #43
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadrepus View Post
/bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
DOS text file line endings on a Unix system.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #44
dadrepus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
DOS text file line endings on a Unix system.
Gee, what does that mean. You are talking to a relative novice. I know just enough to be dangerous. How do I fix it?
Old 03-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #45
moyekj

Quote:
Gee, what does that mean. You are talking to a relative novice. I know just enough to be dangerous. How do I fix it?
dos2unix command in unix will strip out the "DOS" eol characters.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #46
dadrepus

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
dos2unix command in unix will strip out the "DOS" eol characters.
So how would i do that in terminal on a Mac I assume?
Do I do this? dos2unix /Applications/EnterWebzDist/Enter Webz.command

and then hit return?
Old 03-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #47
dadrepus

I tried it and got: -bash: dos2unix: command not found
Old 03-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #48
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Try this:

sudo nano "/Applications/EnterWebzDist/Enter Webz.command"

Then in the editor, type Ctrl-O, then Esc, then d, then Enter. Then Ctrl-X.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #49
dadrepus

said warning" Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #50
dadrepus

This is what I have now:dad$ /Applications/EnterWebzDist/Enter\ Webz.command ; exit;
HME SDK 1.4 (TiVo, Inc.)
LOG: added factory
MDNS: http://192.168.1.3:7288/webz/
MDNS: http://192.168.1.3:7288/webz1/
MDNS: http://192.168.1.3:7288/webz2/

YAHOO, or so I think. So, I go to check out the tv and this is what I see.

Archives.org/032videos/music/books
Enter \032webz
Google

YEA, so far so good...But when clicking on any of those links I get:
App Temporarily unavailable. The requested application is currently unavailable (v301) Please try again in a few minutes. For more info visit tiro.com/help/v301.

Anybody have a clue?
Old 03-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #51
jhilla

Java Update

My Java updated itself last night and now your app and Streambaby are disabled. I'm thinking I need to roll back Java and block updates for now. Anyone else run into this?
jhilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #52
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

First: Yay! I'm glad to hear the Mac .command file sort-of worked. I hope to have that "^M" problem taken care of in the next release.
Quote:
YEA, so far so good...But when clicking on any of those links I get:
App Temporarily unavailable. The requested application is currently unavailable (v301) Please try again in a few minutes. For more info visit tiro.com/help/v301.

Anybody have a clue?
Hmm... Is it still doing that?
Does it say anything more in the window where you started it?

I've only seen that kind of error when Enter Webz poorly handled a page and crashed, but those first links "shouldn't" have such a problem, so something more serious must be going on... maybe there are other issues with the Mac version that I have to handle like maybe Enter Webz doesn't have permission to access one of its library files.

hmedev.wikidot.com
Old 03-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #53
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhilla View Post
My Java updated itself last night and now your app and Streambaby are disabled. I'm thinking I need to roll back Java and block updates for now. Anyone else run into this?
Just a guess: maybe Windows Firewall is blocking the new version from accessing the Internet? See if you can tell Windows Firewall to let Java do what it wants.
I just checked mine, and there were like 10 instances of Java listed, and only about half of them were allowed access to the Internet.

hmedev.wikidot.com
Old 03-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #54
dadrepus

Quote:
First: Yay! I'm glad to hear the Mac .command file sort-of worked. I hope to have that "^M" problem taken care of in the next release.

Hmm... Is it still doing that?
Does it say anything more in the window where you started it?

I've only seen that kind of error when Enter Webz poorly handled a page and crashed, but those first links "shouldn't" have such a problem, so something more serious must be going on... maybe there are other issues with the Mac version that I have to handle like maybe Enter Webz doesn't have permission to access one of its library files.
Yes, nothing has changed.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #55
dadrepus

This is what terminal says when I click on the command file:

/Applications/EnterWebzDist/Enter\ Webz.command ; exit;
DADS-COMPUTER-3:~ dad$ /Applications/EnterWebzDist/Enter\ Webz.command ; exit;
HME SDK 1.4 (TiVo, Inc.)
Old 03-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #56
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

Quote:
This is what terminal says when I click on the command file:

HME SDK 1.4 (TiVo, Inc.)
...and nothing else shows up in the terminal after you try using it from the TiVo (and the TiVo gives an error)?

hmedev.wikidot.com
Old 03-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #57
dadrepus

tried again and this is what is in terminal:

Last login: Sat Mar 23 15:26:31 on ttys002
You have mail.
HME SDK 1.4 (TiVo, Inc.)
LOG: null
LOG: unknown event opcode : 10
LOG: connection to receiver closed
LOG: Unexpected error: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
LOG: Unexpected error: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class com.blackledge.david.html.hme.HTMLBreakdown
LOG: 192.168.1.7 bookmark.png HTTP GET - to factory /webz1/
LOG: Unexpected error: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize class com.blackledge.david.html.hme.HTMLBreakdown
LOG: 192.168.1.5 bookmark.png HTTP GET - to factory /webz1/
Old 03-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #58
vucious

Error on MAC

I have having a similar issue as dadrepus on a MAC. I get the following errors on my MAC console when trying to access Enter Webz from Tivo.

my-mac:EnterWebzDist-2013-2-5 vunguyen$ ./Webz.command
HME SDK 1.4 (TiVo, Inc.)

vucious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #59
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

Quote:
HME SDK 1.4 (TiVo, Inc.)
LOG: 192.168.1.7 bookmark.png HTTP GET - to factory /webz1/
Ick. Very weird that it starts up OK, but has a problem with part of the application.
I couldn't find anything on he Internet specific to this happening on a Mac when it's working fine elsewhere.
My working theory is: HTMLBreakdown does a lot of work, but it includes the code to translate special characters from unicode that the TiVo can't display into ASCII equivalents. My Internet searches hinted at possible issues with Unicode differences on the Mac (probably depending on OS and Java version).

For the next release, I'll change how the unicode references are made in hopes that it helps, and I'll probably also move all of that translation code to a separate class and protect it so if that exception happens, Enter Webz doesn't break, it just doesn't do the translation (and you get a bunch of "squares" on the screen for complex characters).

Thanks for reporting this! Sorry that it might be a little while before I can do another release, though.

- David.

hmedev.wikidot.com
Old 08-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #60
davidblackledge
Registered lÜser

Scaling Video

Quote:
PIP is off by default because of this. If PIP stops working...just turn it off and leave it off (maybe try again the next day if you like) - although it works some of the time, it's flakey. When it's working, turning it off then on (SLOW button) gets a blank PIP until you do it again. When it stops working (not scaled) consider everything destabilized until PIP is off - I've had it crash the TiVo for a simple error while the PIP was displaying in a bad state. There is work to do to find out how to cleanly make PIP work consistently like the Premiere does. (although that's through flash so it may not be completely possible in HME).
Just a note 1) to take up the last post on page 2 so my next update isn't the last post on the page again and 2) to let people know that I figured out the secret to scaling video consistently. I will use that for both Live TV PIP and optionally when you play videos in the browser (allowing you to continue browsing if you want).

The secret is: you can't put the view containing the video resource up against the top (and probably the left) edge of the screen, or it will ignore the scale factor and just try to display full screen.
Note the video can't move off the screen... it will stop at the edge even if the view moves past the edge - the video is still visible if there is no other resource/color displayed at that location.

FYI, I'm close to doing another release. Sometime in the next few weeks.

hmedev.wikidot.com