TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #2131
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Unless you have a friend with the same model TiVo you are out of luck as a do-it -yourself project, you will have to purchase a formatted drive off E-Bay or weaknees.
I think someone around here has produced a compressed image of a virgin drive from that model.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #2132
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I think someone around here has produced a compressed image of a virgin drive from that model.
Its being worked on, it will ready in a few weeks +-, as I do not see a link to it and it is big for download 2+ G, but for some better than nothing.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:08 AM   #2133
lpwcomp

Quote:
Its being worked on, it will ready in a few weeks +-, as I do not see a link to it and it is big for download 2+ G, but for some better than nothing.
What's being worked on is a truncated image. The @2GB compressed image has already been created and tested. Or at least that is my understanding of the current situation.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #2134
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
What's being worked on is a truncated image. The @2GB compressed image has already been created and tested. Or at least that is my understanding of the current situation.
You are correct. Looks like we have a successful truncated image as well. It is about the same size as the virgin image compressed. Ggieseke is now working on a gui interface. Works only in Windows at this time.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #2135
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
I should have something out in a week or two.
That would be cool, I have a 2 Tb drive ready to upgrade has of tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:27 PM   #2136
ggieseke

Ringo->,

PM sent. Read it carefully - the existing command line program will overwrite your Windows drive without hesitating if you get the syntax wrong. The download is big and my DSL sux, so expect it to take at least 6-8 hours.

Leon,

I'm working on it. I want the release to be as safe and intuitive to use as Guided Setup but my UI skills are sadly lacking.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:46 PM   #2137
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Safer is better, I'd hate to hire a hitman.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #2138
ringo->

Quote:
Ringo->,

PM sent. Read it carefully - the existing command line program will overwrite your Windows drive without hesitating if you get the syntax wrong. The download is big and my DSL sux, so expect it to take at least 6-8 hours.
Thanks!!! I'll read the PM this evening and start the download. I'll let you know how it turns out.
ringo-> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #2139
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
When I said a big image was 2Gb that not the total drive of 2Tb, so of course it is compressed, how else could you get a 2Tb image that would fit into 2Gb. This makes sense for the TPXL-4 as otherwise one would have to purchase another 2Tb drive to have a backup, but for the 500Gb TP-4 I would just purchase a 2Tb drive and put the 500Gb in storage. I would also set up the 500Gb drive so if I had to make another copy I would not have to pair the cable card again.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #2140
lpwcomp

Quote:
When I said a big image was 2Gb that not the total drive of 2Tb, so of course it is compressed, how else could you get a 2Tb image that would fit into 2Gb. This makes sense for the TPXL-4 as otherwise one would have to purchase another 2Tb drive to have a backup, but for the 500Gb TP-4 I would just purchase a 2Tb drive and put the 500Gb in storage. I would also set up the 500Gb drive so if I had to make another copy I would not have to pair the cable card again.
It's not the size I was talking about, it is the availability. Whatever its size, you only need to download it if you have no working Premiere drive.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #2141
jmbach

The size of a truncated backup of an XL4 or a TP is about the same size. The size of the core partitions and gui data in the MFS partitions is about the same across the whole S4 series. The XL4 has a slightly different partition size of the bootstrap partition but that's about it. We don't have info on a TP4 partition layout (so if anybody would like to post it, thanks in advance) but the truncated backup image would be the same. Have tested this on a TP, XL, and an XL4 sofar. Also tested it on an S3 OLED and an S1. The backups are fatter than WinMFS but that is because the method is different.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #2142
keffer

Is there an available Premier 320GB disk image available? Mine died, I have verified the disk is good (SpinRite) and would like to re-image the origional dirve in hopes of recovering programming on my external HD. Is it best to go buy another 320GB dirve with an image on it?
keffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #2143
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by keffer View Post
Is there an available Premier 320GB disk image available? Mine died, I have verified the disk is good (SpinRite) and would like to re-image the origional dirve in hopes of recovering programming on my external HD. Is it best to go buy another 320GB dirve with an image on it?
When you say, "mine died", do you mean the TiVo itself, the internal drive, or the external drive?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:11 PM   #2144
jmbach

Quote:
What happened to it since the drive is good. Did you also run the manufacturer diagnostic program for verification.
PM ggieseke for information on imagine drives.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #2145
ggieseke

Quote:
If the drive is good (and I trust SpinRite), what happened? Forcing an emergency OS reinstall with a kickstart might get you running again but if you image it the data on your external drive will be gone forever.

I think the conventional gospel that all recordings are written across both drives once you add an external may be flawed, but the inode tables, database files and directory structure needed to access them are written on the first drive. Even if I'm right and some recordings may be contained entirely on one drive or the other the result is the same.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #2146
keffer

The internal drive died. When booting up TiVo pops up a screen indicating a serious error occurred, to not power off and wait for TiVo to attempt to repair, may take hours. TiVo will eventually reboot, same thing. TiVo rep had me remove the external drive, TiVo recognized it was removed (possibly indicating the external was the problem) but then does same loop. I ran SpinRite in repair mode, it found and made a repair. Put back in TiVo, same problem. Ran SpinRite in detailed diagnostic (30+ hours) and nothing found. I have not run additional diagnostic programs (manufacturer). From what I've read including above it appears my programming on the external is GONE. I just had hopes.

Appears Fourm will not let me PM. I can be reached at keffer@cox.net.

Last edited by keffer : 03-21-2013 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #2147
ggieseke

Crud. If you already divorced the external drive (thanks for nothing CS) your recordings are probably gone for good.

You could try the kickstart for an emergency OS install just to eliminate any doubt. I think it's code 50 or 52, but check the FAQ at weaknees.com to be sure. I don't have the link handy.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #2148
nyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
revision 104 - Nov-06-2010 - with Supersize!

**WARNING**
[*] Software is provided with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. Please read the licence terms (GPL v3).[*] Opening your Tivo cover will void manufacturer's warranty.[*] Although program is not designed to do (and actually attempts to prevent) data loss and distruction, it certainly has a potential to do so. It is ultimately YOUR responsibility to backup, stow away and otherwise protect your data.

If you like my work, buy me a beer... or milk... or a harddrive

OVERVIEW
This is a bootable Linux CD based on Slax distribution. It includes all software tools known to make a harddrive larger than the standard work in Tivo Premiere with expanded capacity.
Basic usage, suitable for most users who only want to expand their Tivo disk capacity, is fully guided, based on simple prompt-choice automated script.

Once again, for clarity's sake, if youd don't want to tinker, experiment and/or dig in the code or Tivo, the "USAGE BASIC" and some hardware is enough to set you up with larger Tivo Premiere drive!

It was ONLY TESTED ON PREMIERE DISK. Also, it was not tested and probably will not work on multi-disk configurations.

The full procedure of making a larger Tivo Premiere disk contains the following:
[*] Taking the original disk out of the Tivo[*] Copying the original disk onto a new larger one[*] Doing modifications of structures on the new disk to make extra space available for Tivo[*] Installing the new disk back into Tivo.

This CD helps in doing steps #2 and #3 of this procedure.

DOWNLOAD
Current: Download link (Mirror thanks coold8! )
MD5 checksum:
a5ef24d6841f75c5c5cfd5fd703f6069 *./jmfs-rev104.iso.zip

Previous: Download link (Mirror courtesy of coold8 as well)
MD5 checksum:
c6241f5838cf5d1f4b451229b184f031 *./jmfs-rev68.iso.zip

REQUIREMENTS and PREREQUISITES
You will need:[*] Your original Tivo disk[*] New disk larger than Tivo's[*] Computer that you can boot from CD or USB[*] Jmfs Live CD

It implies that you also need an ability and willingness to:[*] Open/close your Tivo box[*] Take harddrive out of the Tivo and put harddrive back into it[*] Connect/disconnect the original and the new harddrive to a computer using SATA or USB[*] Burn ISO image on a CD or set up a bootable USB stick[*] Boot up/shutdown a computer using the prepared bootable media[*] Follow the guided prompt[*] Wait for 2-4 hours for process to finish

USAGE BASIC
[*] Download CD disk image (ISO). For basic usage you only need the "jmfs-*.iso.zip" file. Sources (jmfs-src*.zip) are also in the folder for those who want to build themselves. (download link above)[*] Unzip the ISO and burn it on CD[*] Connect a Tivo disk and a new large disk to a computer. SATA or USB - does not matter, it will work either way, but SATA is faster.[*] Boot that computer from the CD burned in step #2.[*] The guide will be started automatically, follow the prompts.
[*] If you are upgrading from stock drive, you will need to do: Copy, Expand, Supersize - in that order.[*] If you are supersizing an already expanded drive, just do Supersize.

If you ever find yourself in a shell (command prompt) you can:
[*] Restart the guide by
[*]"/root/guide.sh" command
[*] Shutdown the system by any of:
[*]pressing Ctrl-D[*] "exit" command,[*] "logout" command[*] "poweroff" command
[*] Reboot the system by any of:
[*]pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del[*] "reboot" command

During the guided process there is a log file created "/root/log.log". If you experience any problems or errors please check that file for any extended error information. It would like to ask for assistance, please copy the log file somewhere, where you can access it later (e.g. mount an external USB drive or existing partitions and copy it there).

USAGE ADVANCEDYou are in the root shell, no need to "sudo" anything.
You need to know your disk names. The source Tivo disk and the targer where you want to copy or the one you want to expand. To find harddrive names in the system:
[*] run "fdisk -l" and make note of the device names and capacities (for ex. "Disk /dev/sda: 2000.3 GB").[*] run "hdparm -i <device>" (for ex. "hdparm -i /dev/sda") which will output the disk model (e.g. "/dev/sda: Model=WDC WD20EVDS-63T3B0")

All disks are made read-only on boot, so if you are planning to copy and/or expand, make your target drive writable by "chmod u+w <target drive path>" (e.g. "chmod u+w /dev/sda").

There are scripts included to run tools separately, outside of the guided prompt:

[*] mfsadd.sh
Expects 1 parameter - target drive for expansion (e.g. "/dev/sda").
Drive must already contain copy of the original Tivo disk.[*] diskCopy.sh
A "shortcut" for "ddrescue", expects two parameters: source disk and target disk or file name
(e.g. "/dev/sda /dev/sdb" or "/dev/sda /mnt/sdb1/tivo.img").[*] mfslayout.sh
Prints the layout of a Tivo disk. Usefull for testing/making sure the disk is OK.
Expects 1 parameter - Tivo drive name (e.g. "/dev/sda").[*] jmfs.sh
Base script to run a class from jmfs package. All arguments are passed to executed class.

BUILDING
You need Apache ANT 1.7.1 or above and JDK 1.6 or above.
The ANT build script is included with sources. The targets are:
[*] build (default)
only compiles the sources.[*] clean
deletes all built files, so all sources will be recompiled[*] package
compiles and creates packages - jar, bin.zip and src.zip for distribution.
Will this process and software work with the TiVo Premiere 4 as well as the regular 2 tuner TiVo Premiere?

Thanks,
Jack
nyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #2149
keffer

Quote:
Crud. If you already divorced the external drive (thanks for nothing CS) your recordings are probably gone for good.

You could try the kickstart for an emergency OS install just to eliminate any doubt. I think it's code 50 or 52, but check the FAQ at weaknees.com to be sure. I don't have the link handy.
Process is interesing when your pointed in the correct direction. Kickstart instructions are:
TIVO PREMIERE / PREMIERE XL:

1. Restart the box and the green light comes on.

2. The green, and amber lights begin to flicker. Quickly press and release the PAUSE button on the remote.

IMPORTANT: Unlike the HD and Series3, you cannot continuously hold down the pause button.

3. Press the one or two digits of the kickstart code from the list below on the remote control. (You will have approximately 10 seconds to do this.) If this was done successfully, the blue light will come on.

Mine:
Power on - all lites come on/off
green lite comes on - tv = welcome screen
after 50 sec green lite goes out
green lite comes on/amber lite flashes
PRESS PAUSE ON REMOTE
green lite goes off/amber lite on
PRESS KICKSTARE CODE = 52
green/yellow/green/yellow/green/yellow....
lites go out, green comes on - tv almost there...
after 25 sec get GBOD

I also tried kickstart codes of 0, 1, 54, & 57 with the exact same results.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #2150
jmbach

Since the last update, when I go into KS mode is do not get the solid blue light but the rapidly alternating green/yellow on my XL (748)
Old 03-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #2151
jmbach

Could not even get into the hard drive KS menu. Hmmmm. That is somewhat catastrophic. Cables connected securely inside the unit. Make sure power supply voltage okay. If those are good then try a re image. If that doesn't work then a different drive and re image. If that doesn't work, another Tivo
Old 03-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #2152
ggieseke

Quote:
Mine:
Power on - all lites come on/off
green lite comes on - tv = welcome screen
after 50 sec green lite goes out
green lite comes on/amber lite flashes
PRESS PAUSE ON REMOTE
green lite goes off/amber lite on
PRESS KICKSTARE CODE = 52
green/yellow/green/yellow/green/yellow....
lites go out, green comes on - tv almost there...
after 25 sec get GBOD

I also tried kickstart codes of 0, 1, 54, & 57 with the exact same results.
The way the lights work seems to have changed lately from what I've read, but AFAIK the kickstart procedures are contained in ROM or flash memory. You should be able to invoke it even if it the drive is dead or missing and get something different than the standard boot loop.

I've had problems getting it to work in the past because I programmed most of the keys on my universal remote with "single-press" codes instead of codes that repeated as long as the button was pressed. Once I figured that out I could still get it to work by pressing the pause key over and over until the lights changed state, then entering the code.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #2153
keffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Could not even get into the hard drive KS menu. Hmmmm. That is somewhat catastrophic. Cables connected securely inside the unit. Make sure power supply voltage okay. If those are good then try a re image. If that doesn't work then a different drive and re image. If that doesn't work, another Tivo
THANKS!! New imaged HD is in the mail (Weaknees). I will make a backup of the HD this time and learn to push programming I want to keep to the computer.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #2154
Ebuddy

Quote:
Ringo->,

Leon,

I'm working on it. I want the release to be as safe and intuitive to use as Guided Setup but my UI skills are sadly lacking.
Sent you a PM, but I'd be deeply grateful if I could get that image also. =)
Old 03-24-2013, 03:42 AM   #2155
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebuddy View Post
Sent you a PM, but I'd be deeply grateful if I could get that image also. =)
Done.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #2156
maraudx

Quote:
Ringo->,

Leon,

I can host the image on my FTP server. Double win as it's fast and I desperately need an image to recover my dead premier.
maraudx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #2157
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by maraudx View Post
I can host the image on my FTP server. Double win as it's fast and I desperately need an image to recover my dead premier.
It's a deal I sent you a PM with my email address.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #2158
StorminMike

Smile Minimal backup option for Series 4

I recently purchased a Premiere 4 since my aging HDR212 is really not worth repairing once the drives die

I don't watch a lot of TV; I mainly use Tivo so on the rare occasion I do want to watch TV there's something good on. As such I don't feel any need to upgrade to a bigger hard drive.

That said, I want to make a backup of the software on the hard drive so that should it fail prematurely, I can just buy another 500 GB drive and restore to that. With the Series 1 there was the minimal backup option in mfstools that did exactly that. (And I in fact used it after a disk failure on my series 1) I've poked around the threads but from what I can see there doesn't appear to be a series 4 equivalent (eg backup the software but not the actual recordings) yet. Is it out there somewhere and I missed it?

Assuming it isn't there, does anyone have a rough idea of how well an image of the full 500 GB drive compresses if you do just backup the entire thing?
StorminMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #2159
jmbach

ggieseke has almost a program that will do what you are asking. Working through beta testing now. Depending on the size of the drive and how spread out required elements are inside the MFS media partitions the truncated backup created is under 4gb and will zip down under 2gb.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #2160
Loach

OK I must be completely helpless because I can't even get past comer's steps 1 and 2 (download, unzip and burn to CD). I figured I probably should see if I can even accomplish that before I bother investing in a larger hard drive.

So I downloaded the zipped file successfully from mediafire. First I used winzip to burn it to a CD, but it looks like that just burned the zipped file and didn't extract anything. I knew that wasn't what I wanted so I went back into winzip and unzipped it to the PC's hard drive. That appeared to place the files in folders called "boot" and "JavaMFS", which looked right, so I burned those folders to a CD-R from Windows Explorer. Confirmed that those folders are there on the CD by looking at it in Windows Explorer.

Took the CD over to an older machine that I will use to accomplish the hard drive upgrade. Changed the BIOS settings to put CD first in the boot order. Tried booting with the CD - no luck. CD drive spins and makes all kinds of noise, but fails to boot and then the hard drive just boots up Windows. Tried it again by hitting F12 for boot options and selected CD and it just says "Selected option not available" or something to that effect.

So how am I managing to screw this up? I must admit I have zero experience trying to create a boot CD from a downloaded zip file.

Edit: I see there is another file within the "boot" folder called "initrd" that looks like it has not been unzipped. Could that be causing my problems?

Last edited by Loach : 04-03-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote