TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #2011
redamw

RS TX 20 stuck on welcome screen

Hi,
I have the RSTX 20 and believe the hard drive failed. I do not have an image.
Does anyone?
Also, last time a hard drive went in one of my tivo's I was able to buy a imaged drive off of ebay but these do not seem to be very popular anymore.

What software is the best to apply the image?

How large of a hard drive can I add, what brand works best?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Bill
redamw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #2012
hardly

PM sent.
hardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #2013
mckennis

My sis was gonna toss her RS-TX20. Long story short, I'm usually pretty good but I can't find this image anywhere. Would somebody please help me out?
mckennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:34 AM   #2014
MrZarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennis View Post
My sis was gonna toss her RS-TX20. Long story short, I'm usually pretty good but I can't find this image anywhere. Would somebody please help me out?
I have a copy of an image distributed here by tahoejoe and Kasmiur, from back in 2010, if you don't find one elsewhere. It's 289,977 KB and is a WinMFS image of a 160 GB hard drive for the Toshiba RS-TX20 (so you will need at least a 160 GB hard drive).

Let me know if you're interested, and we'll try to find a way to get it to you.
MrZarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #2015
mckennis

MrZarf, you are the best! I've been looking forever. Now I just gotta find a 160gb ide lol. Of course I have the original 120gb.

Still doing well thanks to you!!!
mckennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:57 AM   #2016
unclepoo

Private Message Sent
unclepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #2017
drkside

nice
drkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:17 AM   #2018
MrZarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennis View Post
MrZarf, you are the best! I've been looking forever. Now I just gotta find a 160gb ide lol. Of course I have the original 120gb.

Still doing well thanks to you!!!
A couple of PMs sent...
MrZarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #2019
fuzzynavel

Hello All!!!

I have an opportunity to purchase an RS-TX60 from a local thrift shop. Since the unit has been in the shop for so long, they allowed me to hook it up to a television to verify that it worked. While testing the unit, I checked the System Info screen and noticed the TiVo Account Status stated "Product Lifetime Service".

From what I understand, the previous owners could have transferred the lifetime service to another TiVo box rendering the RS-TX60 in need of a subscription. Unfortunately I did not write down the TiVo Service Number, otherwise, I could confirm this with TiVo. But being it is a Toshiba RS-TX60, it was originally advertised with built-in TiVo Basic offering a free 3-day programming guide.

I spoke with a TiVo customer rep last year (when I first noticed the machine in the shop) and she stated something like that (TiVo Basic) is no longer supported, although she did sound somewhat bewildered at the mention of TiVo Basic.

So my first question is, does anyone know if TiVo still honors/supports the free 3-day programming guide for RS-TX machines? In other words, if I repeat the guided setup, will the TiVo mothership force me into a paid subscription in order to get any use of the machine beyond that of a door stop?

And my other question is, since the box still "thinks" it has Lifetime Service, as long as I don't connect, can I still use the unit to manually record shows (although no programming info will be available), use the 30 minute live tv buffer, etc.??

Many kind thanks for your response.

~ Fuzzy
fuzzynavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #2020
shwru980r

The Tivo Basic service still works and it never expires. The tivo will revert back to Tivo Basic if the lifetime service is no longer valid. You will still be able to use the Tivo either way and will not have to pay a subscription fee.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #2021
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

It is worth mentioning that the RSTX60 will not tune digital signals. It is analog only.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:27 AM   #2022
fuzzynavel

Thank you for your replies. In regards to that, I have exciting news and unfortunate news to report.

So feeling pretty confident about the responses here, I decided to purchase the RS-TX60 last night to hook it up to see what happens. Before having the unit call home for programming info, I called TiVo with the TiVo Service Number and asked the same questions. The customer service rep. I spoke with stated the account is "Closed". I asked how can that be since the account status is listed as "Product Lifetime Service". He wasn't sure why it was stated as "Closed" but he said if the unit had "Product Lifetime Service" then it will retain that after connecting it. He also confirmed what shwru980r said about TiVo Basic service. It is also worth noting it has not connected to TiVo for more than 180 days.

After my phone call, I moved forward with wiring it in to my A/V empire. I was elated to see Guided Setup was progressing as expected. Then the shoe dropped. I was informed via the setup process that the TiVo has collected basic programming info and upon the next connection it will download a full 3 days of programming. That's right, you guess it, the Account Status now reads "Closed", despite the words of the TiVo rep..

So the good news is that the unit functions perfectly with 3 days of programming (with obvious limitations of Basic service) but the bad news is it no longer has lifetime service. So my final question about this is, does this make sense regarding the apparent downgrade to "Closed" status from "Product Lifetime Service"? Does "Product Lifetime Service" go away if the unit has not called in for some time? If so, that seems to violate the notion of "Product Lifetime Service".

Thank you again for your assistance.

~ Fuzzy
fuzzynavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #2023
Chester_Lampwick

Makes sense to me. Somebody stopped using it before they bought a newer TiVo, then transferred the lifetime to their Series 3 or whatever. The next connection (that you made) reflects the new status of that previous account i.e. closed.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:50 AM   #2024
unclepoo

Smile Not a door stop

Hi Fuzzy, hopefully you didn't pay a lot for this Tivo based your hopes that this Tivo included the Premium "Lifetime Service"
It does come with "Liftetime basic", and That is great.

Yes it does have the limitations of only a 3 day guide, etc. and does not have all of the flexibility of a Premium lifetime service, or a paid monthly service.
What it does come with however (Tivo Basic), is great, and regardless of your source (Cable, Over the Air, or Satellite), is basic functionality with NO Monthly Fee.

I have 3 of these units, and have had them for years, currently in use with Cable and it's great. And I have never been tempted to try the premium service (Lifetime basic with no monthly fee is Great. You can also upgrade the hard drive on these units.
The RS-TX20, and the RS-TX60 use the same image.

It's far from a door stop and beats the Old VCR's while it doesn't offer the flexibility of the Premium service, Lifetime Basic with No Monthly Fee is Great.
As long as you didn't pay to much for it, you might be able to get your money back by selling this item online. Otherwise enjoy the unit with Lifetime Basic, and no monthly fee's.

while it does have an analog tuner, the unit will control many units (Cable, Over the air, or Satellite) boxes with the IR or Serial cable.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #2025
dizzydeane

I have a RS-TX60. How do I know if the drive is any good? Recently a new batch of Verbatim DVD-R has been flaky with only 4 good burns out of 11. I tried burning on my iMac and it worked OK. Anyway to test the drive without wasting DVDs?
dizzydeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #2026
Chester_Lampwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzydeane View Post
I have a RS-TX60. How do I know if the drive is any good? Recently a new batch of Verbatim DVD-R has been flaky with only 4 good burns out of 11. I tried burning on my iMac and it worked OK. Anyway to test the drive without wasting DVDs?
I'm guessing that the drive is good. When you run into problems with failed burns, it's usually related to bad programs. For instance:

You set up to burn 4x 30 minute episodes at high quality. The disc fails. Next time you repeat, but this time you watch the percentage. Then it fails again at say 67%. This would indicate that it was okay with the first two programs, but failed on the third. You could burn the disc successfully with episodes 1, 2, and 4.

I'm not sure what causes a bad program, but I've recorded episodes or programs that would always fail. It is frustrating.

You could try with a DVD-RW. I think you'd still have a failure, but at least you wouldn't waste a disc. If it's successful, you could always use your computer to copy to less expensive more permanent DVD-R.

All in all, it's still way more convenient than using TiVo To Go to transfer, followed by Roxio to burn.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #2027
dizzydeane

Thanks for the hint, Chester. I'll try with a DVD-RW. Good idea.
dizzydeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #2028
leflaw

How big a disk will the rstx20 support?
Do I need 7200 rpm?
IDE, SATA, etc???
I want to use a 500 gig HD at least.
Also, what is the proper disk image for thats size HD ( I am new here, and links to downloads dont show up until i post 10 messages -- groan!)
leflaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #2029
unclepoo

Smile RS TX 20 supports at least 1TB, use SATA with adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leflaw View Post
How big a disk will the rstx20 support?
I know it supports at least 1 TB

Do I need 7200 rpm?
Most standard drives are 7200 a 5400 rpm drive would run slower and should run cooler, but I don't know if it's fast enough for a dvr
How about it anyone using a 5400 in your RS TX 20 or RS TX 60?

IDE, SATA, etc???

The original drives offered with these were IDE drives, however you will want to purchase a SATA drive to replace it, and all it needs is a small IDE to Sata HDD adapter, it's a very small circuit board which will plug onto the end of your Sata drive which will then connect to to the IDE type Data and Power connectors with no problems.
I want to use a 500 gig HD at least.

That's what I put in mine was a 500 GB SATA hard drive with an adapter and I used an image I got from someone on here to put on it, works like a charm.

Also, what is the proper disk image for thats size HD

You can use WinMFS to place the image on the hard drive, the size of the original image will be the same whether you put this on a 120 GB drive or a 1 TB drive. the size of the image I was provided by someone on here is 271 mb

( I am new here, and links to downloads dont show up until i post 10 messages -- groan!)
Welcome to the group, there are a lot of helpful people on this board I hope you are able to get what you need quickly.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #2030
macadolen

All of a sudden my RS-TX20 with Tivo Basic shows "service is not active" message.
Reconnecting (successfully many times), bouncing the box, repeating guided setup had not resolved the issue. Calls with support were of no help.
Any idea what's going on? hints to resolve?
macadolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #2031
robomeister
DVD TiVo Expert

I've seen that happen several times on my Toshibas and Pioneers. It usually returns after a couple days. Not sure why.

robomeister
1+ Pioneer DVR-57H
1+ Toshiba RS-TX20
1+ Humax DRT400
1 Humax DRT800
Most with Lifetime and upgraded drives
All Series 2s with Linksys USB200M
robomeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #2032
taylb367

RS-TX60 Image?

Hello,

I have a RS-TX60 that I am running clear and delete everthing. If it does not finish, I will need a RS-TX60 image. It has been running for over 6 hours.

Can anyone help? Please send me an email!

Thanks, Bill
taylb367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #2033
taylb367

RS-TX60 Image?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZarf View Post
I have a copy of an image distributed here by tahoejoe and Kasmiur, from back in 2010, if you don't find one elsewhere. It's 289,977 KB and is a WinMFS image of a 160 GB hard drive for the Toshiba RS-TX20 (so you will need at least a 160 GB hard drive).

Let me know if you're interested, and we'll try to find a way to get it to you.
Hello,

I have a RS-TX60 that I am running clear and delete everything. If it does not finish, I will need a RS-TX60 image. It has been running for over 6 hours.

Can anyone help? Please send me an email!

Thanks, Bill
Old 12-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #2034
taylb367

RS-TX20 or RS-TX60!

Hello Again,

I can use either a RS-TX20 or RS-TX60 image to correct my problem. Please send me an email if you have an image for my RS-TX60.

Thanks, Bill