TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
mr_smits

Tivo Mini 2-tuner loophole? Post info here

It's been reported that you can buy a 4 tuner Tivo, connect a Mini to it, then disconnect the 4 tuner Tivo to gain the capability of using the Mini in a household of 2 tuner Premieres. I'm soon to be OTA only, and I have two 2-tuner Premieres and an TivoHD lifetimed. Using the Mini for streaming from 2 tuner boxes is of interest to me.
  1. Have you tried it?
  2. If you did, how long have you had the 4 tuner Tivo disconnected?
  3. Besides not being able to hijack a tuner to watch live tv, have you noticed any issues?

mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
teklock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
It's been reported that you can buy a 4 tuner Tivo, connect a Mini to it, then disconnect the 4 tuner Tivo to gain the capability of using the Mini in a household of 2 tuner Premieres. I'm soon to be OTA only, and I have two 2-tuner Premieres and an TivoHD lifetimed. Using the Mini for streaming from 2 tuner boxes is of interest to me.
  1. Have you tried it?
  3. Besides not being able to hijack a tuner to watch live tv, have you noticed any issues?
omg, not another lets see how we can **** Tivo/BB until they change their 2 tuner policy thread.
teklock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by teklock View Post
omg, not another lets see how we can **** Tivo/BB until they change their 2 tuner policy thread.
If you can't be helpful, don't post.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
lessd

Quote:
  1. Have you tried it?
The problem is that just disconnection the 4 tuner TiVo from your network may not show what you want, you would have to remove the 4 tuner TiVo from your TiVo account before one would know if this so called loophole worked.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I agree with Less - I also want to add another thought.

For this to work, we would have to assume that their is no parent child relationship between the DVR and the Mini.

I suspect that the TiVo paired with the Mini also provides some level of control / information sharing with the Mini. Disconnecting the paired TiVo might work for a specific period of time, but eventually the Mini is going to want to poll the parent for some type of information.

This is when you would start to see error messages.
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I suspect that the TiVo paired with the Mini also provides some level of control / information sharing with the Mini. Disconnecting the paired TiVo might work for a specific period of time, but eventually the Mini is going to want to poll the parent for some type of information.
This is THE big question. Does anyone know? Would official Tivo folks be willing to state definitively that this will only work for X amount of time?
Old 03-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

This is the song that never ends.
It just goes on and on my friends.
Some people started singing it not knowing what it was,
And they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .

TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
overFEDEXed

Quote:
This is THE big question. Does anyone know? Would official Tivo folks be willing to state definitively that this will only work for X amount of time?
I know that when I disconnect my four tuner, I get the nag screen, EACH time that I access my two tuner, with my Mini. It's not that big of a deal for me, but....maybe others.

I posted the screens, in another thread. Also, I had my boxes "phone home" and I could still access the two tuner.

I have had my four tuner for some time, so it has been attached to my account for a while, if that matters.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Would official Tivo folks be willing to state definitively that this will only work for X amount of time?

Attached Images
File Type: gif rofl.gif (5.7 KB, 696 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
lessd

If somebody wants to invest in this non supported TiVo Mini use, the so call called loophole, be my guest and report back, but continuing speculation will get us nowhere.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
I agree with Less - I also want to add another thought.

For this to work, we would have to assume that their is no parent child relationship between the DVR and the Mini.

This is when you would start to see error messages.
See this post I made earlier.................

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...57#post9582557
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #12
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
See this post I made earlier.................

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...57#post9582557
The nag screens don't bother me, and the guide data, while interesting, isn't needed for my scenario. I understand that the Mini cannot use live tv on a 2 tuner box. I'm just looking for a box to stream recorded content from my 2 tuner Premiere boxes.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #13
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
  1. Have you tried it?
While I agree that Tivo not allowing the 2 tuner Premiere is complete BS.... I don't see the reason to do something that is not supported... even if it did work you have the potential to throw $250 out the door eventually. That's not something that I'm interested in.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #14
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
While I agree that Tivo not allowing the 2 tuner Premiere is complete BS.... I don't see the reason to do something that is not supported... even if it did work you have the potential to throw $250 out the door eventually. That's not something that I'm interested in.
I have a need for a Mini in a room that I don't require live TV. Streaming from 2 tuner boxes is enough for me.

If I have a lifetimed Mini, I can always sell it if it stops working as a 2 tuner box extender. The value doesn't go to zero if Tivo closes the loophole.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:

I have a need for a Mini in a room that I don't require live TV. Streaming from 2 tuner boxes is enough for me.

If I have a lifetimed Mini, I can always sell it if it stops working as a 2 tuner box extender. The value doesn't go to zero if Tivo closes the loophole.
Yep but it's not $250 either.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #16
mr_smits

Quote:
Yep but it's not $250 either.
You're right. It's probably at least $260 since it is a new product.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #17
Saxion
Substantive Member

This is a very interesting thread, thanks for starting it. There is a lot of interest in only streaming prerecorded shows from a 2-tuner Premiere.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #18
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxion View Post
This is a very interesting thread, thanks for starting it. There is a lot of interest in only streaming prerecorded shows from a 2-tuner Premiere.
This is really a temporary solution for me until Tivo releases their next >2 tuner box that supports OTA and hopefully streaming to tablets.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #19
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
You're right. It's probably at least $260 since it is a new product.
doubtful. unless you are meaning that it will cost you more than $250 for it to begin with.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #20
mr_smits

Quote:
doubtful. unless you are meaning that it will cost you more than $250 for it to begin with.
Probably worth at least $270 (paid $250).
Old 03-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #21
SugarBowl
Roamio Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxion View Post
This is exactly what the TiVo Stream does. Too bad the mini can't work the same.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #22
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBowl View Post
This is exactly what the TiVo Stream does. Too bad the mini can't work the same.
Also doesn't work with Android. Rules that one out for me too.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #23
Bigg

Somebody should just set up a Premiere 4 on here, and give people a day or two of Sling and VPN access to it for a small fee, and then it can just go from account to account activating TiVo Mini's. I wonder how long until TiVo notices the thing has switched accounts a zillion times and hundreds of different TiVos have "been" at that one "location".
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #24
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Probably worth at least $270 (paid $250).
How do you figure? Why would someone pay you $270 when they could get brand new for $250?

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #25
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post

How do you figure? Why would someone pay you $270 when they could get brand new for $250?
+1
Old 03-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #26
Dan203
Super Moderator

Unless they are in short supply that's never going to happen.

But you probably wouldn't lose much if you had to sell. Short term it will likely retain much of it's new value, so it's not a huge risk.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #27
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
methinks he was being a bit sarcastic

I do have to say it's a bit fitting that he said that today because I replied to a person selling a used XBox360 slim 4GB on Craigslist for $225 and I asked him why he's selling it for $26 MORE than I can buy a new one at my local Target which is factory sealed new in box. His answer was "I got two so selling one..it is in good condition" to which I replied "but I can buy new factory sealed in box for $26 LESS!" and he replied back "OK" WTF?!?!?!

Last edited by HarperVision : 03-22-2013 at 06:47 PM.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #28
aaronwt
HD Addict

Plenty of auctions on Ebay end up at a price that is higher than getting the product from Amazon and other online retailers.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #29
Saxion
Substantive Member

At any rate, it's safe to say that a used Mini could be easily resold to recover a good portion of the cost, even a long time from now (if this loophole were closed by Tivo someday in the future), making the risk of trying this pretty small. The question is...who will try it first?
Old 03-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #30
kettledrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
methinks he was being a bit sarcastic

I do have to say it's a bit fitting that he said that today because I replied to a person selling a used XBox360 slim 4GB on Craigslist for $225 and I asked him why he's selling it for $26 MORE than I can buy a new one at my local Target which is factory sealed new in box. His answer was "I got two so selling one..it is in good condition" to which I replied "but I can buy new factory sealed in box for $26 LESS!" and he replied back "OK" WTF?!?!?!
Sounds like a typical CL email exchange to me.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote