TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #1
expmag
RehobothJeff

With MoCa Enabled Internet Sluggish

I have an XL4 and have always used hardwired Internet going through an Apple Extreme. Now, with two minis I enabled MoCa and my Internet is crawling although the MoCa is working on both boxes. From the wall Comcast installed a 3 way splitter, one goes to the Comcast Modem, another to the TiVo and the third use to go to another TiVo but is not hooked up. Can it matter that the same cable outlet that is being used to go to the input of the modem is also feeding to the XL4 and therefore feeding the MoCa back into the outlets? I called Comcast tech support and they did something last night that brought the speeds back up. However, this morning speeds are down and I am getting 2mps down and 4mps up with MoCa enabled. I turned the MoCa off, made no wiring changes and am now getting 25mps down and 8mps up. Any thoughts?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
Loach

You might want to try installing a POE filter at the cable modem. There have been some reports of MoCA causing problems with some cable modems. In my area, Cox installs POE filters at the cable modem in their own MoCA-based whole home DVR installations.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
tivoboy

where?

Where exactly does one put the POE in? At the modem connection to the cable company? At the NOC? I'm seeing exactly this problem now with an XL4, and a mini using MOCA in a house with whole home. Internet went from 30MB down to about 7MB down. upstream doesn't seem to be affected at all.
tivoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboy View Post
Where exactly does one put the POE in? At the modem connection to the cable company? At the NOC? I'm seeing exactly this problem now with an XL4, and a mini using MOCA in a house with whole home. Internet went from 30MB down to about 7MB down. upstream doesn't seem to be affected at all.
You can put the POE filter on the cable into the modem, I have Comcast blast, I did not see any speed difference with or without the POE filter on the modem itself, but I put one on the modem anyway. My download speed is above 50Mbs.
I also have a POE filter on the cable coming into the house.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
Finalrinse

I have a POE filter where my line comes in the house, here are my speed tests after installation. It was the same before.
http://stage.results.speedtest.comca.../234606032.png
Finalrinse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
llarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboy View Post
I have the same issue; my downstream went from 25Mb to 5Mb, upstream not affected. I was about to call the cable company until I saw this post, the slowdown happened right around time I brought in the mini and enabled MOCA. Did anyone find a definite fix with the POE filter?
llarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by llarch View Post
I have the same issue; my downstream went from 25Mb to 5Mb, upstream not affected. I was about to call the cable company until I saw this post, the slowdown happened right around time I brought in the mini and enabled MOCA. Did anyone find a definite fix with the POE filter?
I am using two POE filters, one on the lead in of my cable to my home, the other on the input of the Modem, I have Comcast blast and my download speed is still above 50Mb/s (Jumps to 100 for a few seconds). The POE filters did nothing to help or degrade my system. You may also have a faulty filter, my first one from E-Bay was faulty and the seller sent me another that worked. Moca may effect your modem, that is why the filter at the cable input of the modem, the filter at the cable into the home is so your Moca signal does not get into the outside cable system.