TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #91
Gaidin43

Does anyone have updates on getting this to work? I have LTE iPhone 5 jail broken and would love to be able to stream (almost live TV) from my home tivo to my phone or iPad while traveling.

TiVo stream has so much potential in the TiVo Eco system. If you have a premiere or a premiere xl and the TiVo app to set recordings you could log on your phone app, have it start recording a show, say the live news, and watch it via vpn on your phone anywhere.

I have been trying to configure vpn to get this to work since speed isn't an issue and I have 30 download and 20+ upload on TiVo/home network side and about the same for my LTE phone. So network speed won't be the issue.
Gaidin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #92
GTXgp

I figured out a complicated workaround that involves transfering to TiVo Desktop, converting .tivo to .avi or .mpg, then I can push to iOS using VLC. Not exactly the easiest process.

I ordered a Slingbox350 this week and I'm going to hook it to a guest-room TiVo that gets little use. I will see how well that works for streaming outside the house, but I would still like to be able to transfer when I am away from home. For example, if I am gone for a week and want to transfer a show to watch on the plane home.

I am going out of the country for a month in April and it sucks that TiVo has no native solution for me.
GTXgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #93
Gaidin43

Anyone else been able to find a more streamline vpn solution to this yet? I've been trying to get this to work all sorts of ways to watch "live" TV on my phone while away from the home wifi.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #94
Gaidin43

Has anyone seen this post or tried the steps shown and got it to work with the stream?

http://www.windracer.net/blog/2012/0...pp-over-a-vpn/
Old 03-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #95
windracer
joined the 10k club

Well, I tried it. But I didn't have a Stream to test with. I originally posted that here. I don't think I ever got confirmation from anyone else that that specific combination worked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #96
kylen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaidin43 View Post
Has anyone seen this post or tried the steps shown and got it to work with the stream?

http://www.windracer.net/blog/2012/0...pp-over-a-vpn/
I keep meaning to try that but haven't had a chance to configure the OpenVPN server on my Windows machine--haven't figured out the config files and how to generate all those certificates for windows (didn't want to re-image my existing router with DD-WRT).
kylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #97
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I have a TiVo Premiere and a Stream and a (jailbroken) iPad mini and I'd be willing to try all of that but not so much that I'd have to replace my router. (I'm currently using an Apple Time Capsule that I am happy with.) And at the very least I'd want it to work via WiFi (as I'd rarely connect via 3G/LTE for video streaming.) Anything less and it's not really usable for me, realistically speaking.

I do have EasyVPN installed on a Mac on my home network, and I've connected to it in the past using the built-in VPN dialer that iOS includes. But that doesn't seem to work here, when I launch the TiVo app it scans for compatible boxes and doesn't find any...

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!

Last edited by Fofer : 03-18-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #98
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I also note that jailbreak tweak "3G Unrestrictor" is able to "trick" the Time Warner TV app to let me connect to my home VPN when I am on remote WiFi and use the app to watch live TV. (This app normally requires you to be physically at home, connected to the same network where your cable modem is.)
Kinda cool that a tweak normally used to make a 3G connection appear like a WiFi connection (for things like FaceTime) has this side benefit of allowing us to "cloak" a VPN connection too.

And I'm using another jailbreak tweak, xCon, to trick the app into launching on a jailbroken device (as this is also precluded by the native app.)

Interestingly enough, the app only detects the VPN and prevents access when your connection is over WiFi; it doesn't pose an issue if your connection is over 3G/4G/LTE. Alas, with data caps these days I'm not keen to stream live TV that way.

I will also note that I could NOT get "My3G" to allow the same thing. It works fine (for me) with 3G Unrestrictor, but not My3G.

I also tried adding TiVo app to the 3G Unrestrictor app to try the same, but still end up getting the same "no compatible boxes found" after the app scans for one. Bummer. I feel like we're really close, we just need to find the correct ingredients...

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!

Last edited by Fofer : 03-18-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #99
Gaidin43

XCon and unrestrictor 3G seem like they are both Necessary to get this to work as well as a VPN app that handles multistream. The issue that some will have is they will want to use this on a wifi away from home which will require another step in the process to get it to work. I have unlimited LTE so I'm not worries about data limits but I can see how others would be.

Maybe we are looking at this wrong. Do you think we can get a tweak from cydia that will mod the TiVo. App to thinking it is in it's home network all the time?
Old 03-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #100
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Do you think we can get a tweak from cydia that will mod the TiVo. App to thinking it is in it's home network all the time?
There is a Cydia app already called "UnrestrictPremium2" (intended to allow for AirPlay out from apps that typically restrict this.) I use it to AirPlay (mirror) from the TiVo app to my AppleTV. It also has a feature/toggle called "Fake Home Status" with that exact description -- but it doesn't seem to work here for me in that context.

Again, this could be because my VPN connection (iOS -> EasyVPN) isn't actually handing multistream.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #101
Gaidin43

I am almost tempted to return my stream now until this is allowed and just get a sling box. I can still mirror everything to another TV without any restrictions. Only issue is I'm controlling the TV the unit is attached to when compared to just using a tuner like the stream would be.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #102
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTXgp View Post
I figured out a complicated workaround that involves transfering to TiVo Desktop, converting .tivo to .avi or .mpg, then I can push to iOS using VLC. Not exactly the easiest process.

I ordered a Slingbox350 this week and I'm going to hook it to a guest-room TiVo that gets little use. I will see how well that works for streaming outside the house, but I would still like to be able to transfer when I am away from home. For example, if I am gone for a week and want to transfer a show to watch on the plane home.

I am going out of the country for a month in April and it sucks that TiVo has no native solution for me.
Doesn't the paid version of TiVo Desktop do that? You could have it running on a machine at home, do the transcode, and then you could slurp the show down via VPN or FTP.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #103
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Seems like such a waste of resources to have a computer transcoding every show just to provide the availability of a large file to download. And that would only work on shows that don't have the CC flag set. The whole POINT of the TiVo Stream is for on-demand transcoding and streaming, for all recorded shows.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:03 PM   #104
Gaidin43

Also you can't watch shows that are being copied by TiVo desktop until they are finished.

I am looking for a live away from home alternative.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #105
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Unfortunately it seems like Sling is the better product for that.

The TiVo Stream is "so close, and yet so far."

Old 03-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #106
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Also you can't watch shows that are being copied by TiVo desktop until they are finished.

I am looking for a live away from home alternative.
I'm able to watch while transferring to TiVo Desktop, though only up to what has already been transferred when I start playing. To go past that I have to close the file and reopen it.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #107
Gaidin43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Unfortunately it seems like Sling is the better product for that.

The TiVo Stream is "so close, and yet so far."
It would sell so many more units if it allowed AirPlay and wireless steaming away from the home network. I doubt the cable companies would ever allow it though. Even the new models of Slingbox don't have their own built in tuners and require a stb or dvr or player of some sort to stream content.

There has been a huge change I'm how media is consumed and distributed and the media companies are smuggling with how is the best way for them to do it while maintaining the same profits they used to see. All copyright and from protects they build in make it harder for the end user to watch the media they produce.

Things like the stream and the Slingbox need to be combined with an upgraded tivo. That would be the ultimate one box solution. Right now the HTPC is the only real on box solution out there and it takes a little know how.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #108
Bigg

Quote:
Seems like such a waste of resources to have a computer transcoding every show just to provide the availability of a large file to download. And that would only work on shows that don't have the CC flag set. The whole POINT of the TiVo Stream is for on-demand transcoding and streaming, for all recorded shows.
It depends if you're running a 24/7 machine anyways or how much power a machine would slurp down.

Quote:
It would sell so many more units if it allowed AirPlay and wireless steaming away from the home network. I doubt the cable companies would ever allow it though. Even the new models of Slingbox don't have their own built in tuners and require a stb or dvr or player of some sort to stream content. ...

Right now the HTPC is the only real on box solution out there and it takes a little know how.
There is no way to stream directly from WMC over the internet that is in any way functional or reliable. The only way is to Sling an XBOX. No joke.

Yeah, it would get kind of sticky to do remote streaming, since it's an all-digital path, unlike the Sling which goes through the analog hole. In-home AirPlay shouldn't be an issue though, as it's no different than a TiVo Mini or anything else, and the quality is lower anyways.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #109
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
There is no way to stream directly from WMC over the internet that is in any way functional or reliable. The only way is to Sling an XBOX. No joke.
I always hear people swear by Remote Potato for streaming remotely.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #110
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
I always hear people swear by Remote Potato for streaming remotely.
I tried it, it barely works over a LAN. I have no clue how it would work over a WAN. Maybe two FIOS connections, since that would be similar to my LAN...
Old 03-27-2013, 01:53 AM   #111
dsnotgood

Quote:

Check out kmttg. You can do all of those in one automated step. Just make sure you check the qs fix box or else encodings get all messed up.
dsnotgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #112
GTXgp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnotgood View Post
Check out kmttg. You can do all of those in one automated step. Just make sure you check the qs fix box or else encodings get all messed up.
That looks interesting, but I would still need an app like VLC to allow me to download to my iPad when I am away from home for offline viewing...
Old 03-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #113
ShayL

Quote:
That looks interesting, but I would still need an app like VLC to allow me to download to my iPad when I am away from home for offline viewing...
Once you download, decrypt, and transcode to H264, you just need to put into itunes. You should be able to set the output destination in kmttg to the autoload directory of itunes.
ShayL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #114
GTXgp

I understand that, but loading into iTunes doesn't do me any good if I am away from home VLC allows me to stream or download remotely from my home computer.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #115
ShayL

I would suggest a slingbox for that scenario.
ShayL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:39 AM   #116
malkalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewfidelic View Post
The Network Beacon or Bonjour Beacon method only requires one computer, and that computer needs to be same local network as the iOS device (NOT on the same network as the Tivo and Stream.) It does require (on most home networks) opening up port forwarding in your router to allow the iOS device to access the Tivos from outside of the home network.
How do you configure Bonjour Beacon to access your stream?
malkalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:32 AM   #117
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkalm View Post

How do you configure Bonjour Beacon to access your stream?
Yeah -- I'd like to try that.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #118
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Going through the new Roamio FAQs here, I see:

(highlighting added by me.)

"Functionality is exactly the same," eh? So does this mean a 2-Tuner Premiere, along with a TiVo Stream (both of which I have,) will eventually allow me to do streaming away from home as well?

Fingers crossed.

(Oh TiVo, please, don't screw this up for us. We've been disappointed for too long and I'm not going to buy a whole new TiVo (and deal with failing at transferring over my library of recordings) just to get features we should have had from the start.)

Old 08-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #119
kylen

Quote:
Going through the new Roamio FAQs here, I see:

(highlighting added by me.)

"Functionality is exactly the same," eh? So does this mean a 2-Tuner Premiere, along with a TiVo Stream (both of which I have,) will eventually allow me to do streaming away from home as well?

Fingers crossed.

(Oh TiVo, please, don't screw this up for us. We've been disappointed for too long and I'm not going to buy a whole new TiVo (and deal with failing at transferring over my library of recordings) just to get features we should have had from the start.)
I missed those items--the only thing I saw was this item in the comparison chart of the Roamio models:

Quote:
Watch Live TV from remote location (coming soon)
Their description of the Roamio says it contains the features of all these other devices--including a Slingbox. But that is entirely untrue--who uses a slingbox to watch stuff at home on another TV?! Everyone uses it to stream stuff outside of the home.

I am hopeful we will finally get a real use for the TiVo Stream the way it should have been from the start!
kylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #120
windracer
joined the 10k club

So I won't need my overly complicated jailbroken iPhone + OpenVPN solution? I'm curious to see how this will work!

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote