TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #31
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quality and sound are going to be much better with a Mini though. As will the user experience. The Mini will be like using the TiVo itself. The video will be full resolution and have full 5.1 sound. And interacting with the Mini will use the same remote and same UI you're use to.

The Stream converts everything to 720p with 2ch AAC audio. The only trick play options are 8 second rewind and 30 second skip, both of which are significantly slower then the same functions on a real TiVo. Also the UI is designed to a tablet so it's not usable via a remote control.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #32
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Right. All good points.

The sad thing is, I'd actually pay the $250 for the Mini... if only TiVo got their heads out of their tushes and made it work on a 2-tuner Premiere. Yeesh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #33
Dan203
Super Moderator

That will likely come with the dynamic tuner allocation fix later this year. The way it works now you'd have to dedicate a tuner to live TV which would turn your 2 tuner box into a 1 tuner box, and TiVo doesn't see that as a viable option. Plus it acts as a carrot to get people to upgrade from a 2 tuner box to a 4 tuner box.

I did this math for someone in another thread but if you sell your current TiVo for $300, then buy a TiVo 4 and Mini both with lifetime for $900, there is a very high likelihood that you'd be able to sell the TiVo/Mini combo for $600 (or more) 2-3 years from now and essentially the whole purchase would be a wash. And if you saved any money by being able to get rid of a cable box or outlet fee then that would be money in the bank.

TiVo devices with lifetime have a high cost of entry but they retain a large portion of their value over time, so the cost of ownership is actually pretty low.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #34
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Sure but that's a hassle and I'd lose my archive of recorded shows (on my internal 2TB drive.
(I also have no interest in manually transferring recordings. Maybe if TiVo could handle it automatically... buy it can't.)

So not worth it, and it'd feel like rewarding TiVo for crap choices and crap programming.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 03-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #35
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
That will likely come with the dynamic tuner allocation fix later this year.
My optimism had faded with this company and their careful wording on this front makes me think it's quite unlikely. One would think their marketing materials would have an asterisk saying "support coming soon."

Old 03-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #36
Dan203
Super Moderator

The only reason I think they will allow it eventually is because it makes the Mini easier to market and support. Although they could use it as a carrot to get people to upgrade to 4 tuner units.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #37
Gaidin43

Think they will ever allow iOS streaming through AirPlay though? Or even better while away from the home?
Gaidin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:40 AM   #38
Dan203
Super Moderator

Maybe. I think the main reason they block AirPlay is because of restrictions imposed on them by the copyright holders. With the recent addition of AirPlay to HBOGo it could be a sign of those restrictions loosening. And they specifically said that while streaming outside the home is not currently on their agenda for the Stream it wasn't designed out of the product, so it's possible.

Although I wouldn't buy one assuming either feature will be added, because neither one is a guarantee.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #39
tbielowicz

So I got the Apple TV yesterday. Overall it is a good short term solution but not as easy as just turning on your TV. Plus you can't use your iDevice for anything else during that time.

The PQ is acceptable, but not great. Any suggestions on resolution, screen fit, etc, to make better. Also I noticed some choppiness of the video. Not smooth but acceptable.

Thanks again. In the end I may just have a hybrid of both Apple TV for lower use TVs and TiVo Mini for higher use TVs.
tbielowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #40
Bigg

What's the issue with content providers? Why would it be any different than streaming to the iPad in the first place or streaming to a TiVo Mini? Of course the idiocy and hypocrisy of the whole thing is that recaptured component off of a cable box or Premiere is so much higher quality than what gets to the iPad anyways.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #41
Dan203
Super Moderator

They have some weird thing where they don't like to offer alternative ways to view stuff on an actual TV. They seem to be OK with portable devices and PCs though. This is the same reason why some of the stuff available via Hulu.com is not available via Hulu+, even though Hulu.com is free and Hulu+ is $10/mo.

It's a stupid arcane system that will eventually die off someday.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #42
Gaidin43

I understand and agree with the media providers (cable company's, production studios, etc) need and should be paid for their product, but limiting how it is consumed is crazy. Big companies care more about subsides from as revenue and controlling how people view their products then direct payments from consumers buying the product. This needs to change from the old school mindset of "this needs to be done only my way" to "let them do it however they want as long as we are paid for it". If they follow this method piracy would go down ( I doubt it will ever completely go away) but they also need to set reasonable prices $5.99 for a digital rental is nuts when you can buy it for $14.99 digitally, or better yet $7.99 when the actual disc goes on sale at Wally World

The entire system needs to look at its future and adapt and change or home media systems like HTPCs are going to completely hammer their profit margins more then they already are.
Gaidin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #43
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I feel like I need to make either a "Hitler reacts to TiVo Stream not supporting HDMI/AirPlay/Remote streaming" video, or a "Hitler reacts to TiVo Mini having a subscription fee and only working on 4-tuner Premieres" video.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #44
Bigg

Quote:
They have some weird thing where they don't like to offer alternative ways to view stuff on an actual TV. They seem to be OK with portable devices and PCs though. This is the same reason why some of the stuff available via Hulu.com is not available via Hulu+, even though Hulu.com is free and Hulu+ is $10/mo.

It's a stupid arcane system that will eventually die off someday.
That makes no sense. I mean what's the technical difference between a 23" 1080p HDCP enabled display and a 60" 1080p HDCP enabled display?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:41 PM   #45
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
It's also why Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion's AirPlay Mirroring to an AppleTV is a silver bullet. Anything I can stream on my laptop I can wirelessly send to my bigscreen TV, with perfect A/V sync. Take that, Hulu!

Old 03-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #46
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
That makes no sense. I mean what's the technical difference between a 23" 1080p HDCP enabled display and a 60" 1080p HDCP enabled display?
I don't know, you'd have to ask them. I think it's more about the number of users though, then the screen size. With it only working on a PC they can keep the number of users low and it will not interrupt their primary business model. However if they make it more accessible then the number of users accessing it via the web, rather then the traditional way, would upset the balance and it could effect the prices that they can charge for traditional advertising.

At this point the broadcast industry is struggling to hold on to a dying business model while keeping the internet side alive just in case the traditional model collapses.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #47
Bigg

Quote:
I don't know, you'd have to ask them. I think it's more about the number of users though, then the screen size. With it only working on a PC they can keep the number of users low and it will not interrupt their primary business model. However if they make it more accessible then the number of users accessing it via the web, rather then the traditional way, would upset the balance and it could effect the prices that they can charge for traditional advertising.

At this point the broadcast industry is struggling to hold on to a dying business model while keeping the internet side alive just in case the traditional model collapses.
Yeah, they are experimenting in all sorts of things, but they seem to manage to mess them up at every step, and all the different digital platforms out there are a mess. That, and certain shows, like Big Bang theory, of all shows, aren't available anywhere online, except for the last few episodes from their own website. It's very backwards that they are limiting to the PC platform, as apparently they think that no one will ever get an HDMI cable and plug their PC into the TV.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #48
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
...our use wireless AirPlay fullscreen mirroring, which I love so so so so much, for finally making that ridiculousness a non-issue!!!

Old 03-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #49
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
It's very backwards that they are limiting to the PC platform, as apparently they think that no one will ever get an HDMI cable and plug their PC into the TV.
Except that's exactly the logic, we'll let you view on a portable device, but not something that outputs to a TV, and that makes perfect sense to me when I put myself in "broadcast weasel mode" they are terrified of portable devices that can output to a big screen and yes, they're not smart enough to realize that a PC can do it.

It's one of the reasons so many won't let you output via an idevice.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #50
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Except that's exactly the logic, we'll let you view on a portable device, but not something that outputs to a TV, and that makes perfect sense to me when I put myself in "broadcast weasel mode" they are terrified of portable devices that can output to a big screen and yes, they're not smart enough to realize that a PC can do it.

It's one of the reasons so many won't let you output via an idevice.
lol
Old 03-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #51
drkside

Apple TV is tough to beat
drkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #52
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkside View Post
Apple TV is tough to beat
I agree. I love my little Apple TV as well. If that damn TiVo Stream would only support AirPlay (from my iOS devices OR my MacBook) it would be worth so much more.

TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (318 hr)
TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (77 hr)
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime (x4)
TiVo Stream
dmk1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #53
Austin Bike

I was an apple tv advocate but I have to say that Roku is looking much better (have not made the jump). If apple would let me run iOS apps on the apple tv, I would put one on every TV in the house.
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #54
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1974 View Post

I agree. I love my little Apple TV as well. If that damn TiVo Stream would only support AirPlay (from my iOS devices OR my MacBook) it would be worth so much more.
It would make no sense for the TiVo Stream to be an AirPlay receiver. It's not even hooked up to a TV. Do you mean TiVo Mini?

Last edited by Fofer : 03-26-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #55
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
It would make no sense for the TiVo Stream to be an AirPlay receiver. It's not even hooked up to a TV. Do you mean TiVo Mini?
No. Stream >>> iPad >>> Airplay to Apple TV.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #56
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Ah. I use a jailbreak tweak called UnrestrictPremium that lets me AirPlay the Stream from my iPad to my AppleTV.

Considering that the TiVo Mini doesn't stream to a MacBook at all, the notion of AirPlaying from that... seemed to come out of left field.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #57
Austin Bike

What I want is> tivo> stream> apple TV

With stream I can watch content on my tivo on an ipad, I'd just like to do that without an ipad in the middle.
Austin Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #58
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
As mentioned, I can already do that.

Now I want to be able to stream to my iPad when I'm not at home, but on someone else's WiFi. My home's upstream is fast enough.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #59
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
As mentioned, I can already do that.

Now I want to be able to stream to my iPad when I'm not at home, but on someone else's WiFi. My home's upstream is fast enough.
That's a whole different ballgame, as you have to get into dynamic bitrates like a Slingbox. Sling has the best technology for that, just get one of those with a Mini.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #60
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
That's a whole different ballgame, as you have to get into dynamic bitrates like a Slingbox. Sling has the best technology for that, just get one of those with a Mini.
Uh yeah, not, no way I'm going to spend all that -- especially given the Mini's subscription fee, and the fact that it won't work (yet?!?!?) on a 2-tuner TiVo. It also strikes me as an extraordinarily inelegant solution.

My upstream and downstream will typically be fast enough to handle direct streaming from the TiVo Stream. Barring that, I'll just figure out another way to "acquire" the few shows I'm interested in watching.