TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #271
leitzsout

48 hours and still no follow up from tivo on fixing group assignments...am I surprised
leitzsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #272
leitzsout

Contacted Tivo today and CSR said engineering was still investigating and that I should wait a week and call back if I still didn't have On demand. This didn't sit well with me after being told, by a Tivo CSR on Sunday, that the turnaround was 24 hours. I asked to speak with a supervisor and he told me the turnaround was 3 to 5 days. I get a different answer each time I call. SOOOOOOO frustrated! If you see my prior posts, you'll note that this isn't even the first or second diagnosis of the issue. Its the third and each time the promised resolution dates come and go...and I thought comcast was bad...rant over
leitzsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #273
timstack8969

What's the hold up for Cisco area's? Comcast of Garden State, NJ
timstack8969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #274
morac
Cat God

According to a Comcast rep in the Comcast forums the Cisco areas of NJ will be turned on in early May of this year.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #275
Bigg

Hopefully that will transfer over to CT. New XL4 in the mail for me.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #276
jjd416

Do we know that this update to Cisco/SA devices covers cable cards too? And if so, is this the update we are waiting for to get Comcast VOD working on TiVo Premieres with Cisco/SA cable cards? Everything I've read on the Comcast Forum references cable boxes and doesn't mention cable cards at all. The updates cover the cable boxes user interface and an new cable guide.
jjd416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #277
mattack

So when an On Demand program is finished, you get audio of "some channel" when it's sitting back in the On Demand menus. What channel are you getting audio from? Whatever that On Demand channel is now being used for? (Seems unlikely, since it seems like I ALWAYS get audio there right away.)

Also, it's weird, some On Demand shows have VIRTUALLY no commercials. I sometimes use On Demand to watch the HD version of a show when I tivoed the SD version (for space reasons). (But I still virtually always record it manually on another recorder to skip even the minimal commercials)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #278
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd416 View Post
Do we know that this update to Cisco/SA devices covers cable cards too? And if so, is this the update we are waiting for to get Comcast VOD working on TiVo Premieres with Cisco/SA cable cards? Everything I've read on the Comcast Forum references cable boxes and doesn't mention cable cards at all. The updates cover the cable boxes user interface and an new cable guide.
Apparently they will. When it gets to all SA areas, like Groton, CT, who knows.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:25 AM   #279
Mike-Wolf

Quote:
A big massive update that is supposed to be rolled out to New Jersey in March 2013 is supposed to bring a major update to the Cisco/SA CableCARDs to Version 1.5.2 3001 http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/vide...1.5.2.3001.pdf

This was mentioned in the Comcast thread. http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity...1542789#M64240
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity...1607987#M68847
What will be included in the update to the Xfinity On Demand service for TiVo in May I don't know anything about yet
Mike-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #280
jjd416

This was mentioned in the Comcast thread. http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity...1542789#M64240

According to that post on 01/14/2013, 30% of the roll out was complete. Does anyone with a Cisco/SA cable card have xfinity on demand on their TiVo Premiere? That would answer the question if this firmware update is the one we are waiting for.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:57 AM   #281
weaver

Quote:

According to that post on 01/14/2013, 30% of the roll out was complete. Does anyone with a Cisco/SA cable card have xfinity on demand on their TiVo Premiere? That would answer the question if this firmware update is the one we are waiting for.
I don't have VOD, but I do have Cisco Cablecard firmware OS Version PKEY1.5.2_F.p.3001. So, if the firmware is involved, something else needs to be done as well.
weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #282
jjd416

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
I don't have VOD, but I do have Cisco Cablecard firmware OS Version PKEY1.5.2_F.p.3001. So, if the firmware is involved, something else needs to be done as well.
I have that same software version too, and I also do not have VOD. I don't think this firmware upgrade is what we are waiting for. I posted the question on Comcast's forum but haven't received an answer yet.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #283
jjd416

This is the response I received from the Comcast forum:

JDK wrote:

Ted:

Can you tell us if this firmware update for Cisco/SA cablecasts will make xfinity on demand for TiVo Premiere's work? I am in the 06801 zip code in Connecticut. When are we scheduled for the update?
____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________
This referenced firmware and software update in this thread is not related to the XFINITY On Demand and Tivo Premiere project.

For that project, the current schedules I have seen show the New England area having our XFINITY On Demand content available via the Tivo Premiere in early May.

Updates are provided at the link below:

http://www3.tivo.com/products/tivo-w...ast/index.html

All areas of CT where we use Scientific-Atlanta and Cisco branded cable boxes already have the update referenced in the initial post of this thread. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #284
weaver

Quote:

JDK wrote:

Ted:

Can you tell us if this firmware update for Cisco/SA cablecasts will make xfinity on demand for TiVo Premiere's work? I am in the 06801 zip code in Connecticut. When are we scheduled for the update?
____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________
This referenced firmware and software update in this thread is not related to the XFINITY On Demand and Tivo Premiere project.

For that project, the current schedules I have seen show the New England area having our XFINITY On Demand content available via the Tivo Premiere in early May.

All areas of CT where we use Scientific-Atlanta and Cisco branded cable boxes already have the update referenced in the initial post of this thread. Thanks.

Thanks for asking Comcast that question. At least it sounds like some areas may be upgraded to VOD in May.
weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #285
Bigg

Quote:

JDK wrote:

Ted:

Sweet. My new TiVo Premiere will get XoD! Even though I didn't use it much when I had it.... at least I'll have it! I'm in CT on a Sci Atlanta system.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #286
Mike-Wolf

Comcast sucks when it comes to getting a straight answer and a hard date for anything, it's as if they are throwing darts on a calendar and calling out months and days just to appease those who ask.

I do wish there was a list of towns in Connecticut serviced by Comcast that showed what equipment is used where since I'd be moving up there and I wanna know where to start looking around based on CableCARD and equipmet brand and features offered. This is the best I could do so far http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/sho...nnecticut.cspx
Old 03-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #287
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-Wolf View Post
Comcast sucks when it comes to getting a straight answer and a hard date for anything, it's as if they are throwing darts on a calendar and calling out months and days just to appease those who ask.

I do wish there was a list of towns in Connecticut serviced by Comcast that showed what equipment is used where since I'd be moving up there and I wanna know where to start looking around based on CableCARD and equipmet brand and features offered. This is the best I could do so far http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/sho...nnecticut.cspx
That list is absurd, as it's not by system, but by every little town and borough they serve.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:44 AM   #288
WVZR1

Quote:

I can't imagine XOD services influencing a move.
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:28 AM   #289
Mike-Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post
I can't imagine XOD services influencing a move.
Not really the XOD services being the influence but the overall service all together. It's well known that areas serviced by Comcast that use Cisco/SA equipment are woefully behind in features and support compared to areas using Motorola or other brands. Secondly Comcast at this point doesn't use the aggravating and well hated tuning adapters and switched digital video which that upon itself is a major bonus.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:29 AM   #290
Mike-Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
That list is absurd, as it's not by system, but by every little town and borough they serve.
How so?
Old 03-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #291
Bigg

Quote:
How so?
As features go by systems.

http://www.dpuc.state.ct.us/dpucinfo...b?OpenDocument
Old 03-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #292
robertne

I love how they updating Cisco and SA areas, when they havent even gotten all of the Motorola areas active like CHICAGO! At this point I am about to dump Comcast for Directv.
robertne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #293
grey ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertne View Post
I love how they updating Cisco and SA areas, when they havent even gotten all of the Motorola areas active like CHICAGO! At this point I am about to dump Comcast for Directv.
The SA/Cisco customers are about FIVE updates behind the Motorola customers and we pay exactly the same amount as you for a much inferior service. VoD has nothing to do with the updates that are rolling out
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:35 PM   #294
WVZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertne View Post
I mentioned earlier that I couldn't understand VOD affecting a search for a home but as an excuse to "dump" a generally quite reliable service that probably is also responsible for your HSI for a somewhat "unknown" mix of services that will be available and will likely require a contract I can now say I've nearly heard it all.

Foolish maybe ridiculous !
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #295
Bigg

Comcast is a mess. They have so many different systems running so many different things. They need to regionalize their system like Verizon's, and run everything more uniformly and efficiently, and that way upgrades would roll out so much faster.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:03 AM   #296
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Comcast is a mess. They have so many different systems running so many different things. They need to regionalize their system like Verizon's, and run everything more uniformly and efficiently, and that way upgrades would roll out so much faster.
The problem is that unlike Verizon, Comcast bought most of it's cable systems. Not only does Comcast have to deal with whatever legacy equipment was in use, it's also beholden to whatever prior contracts those companies had with their local towns. Though the later is less important than the prior as most contracts only applied to analog cable TV, which Comcast has dropped in most areas. The equipment issue is still ongoing though.

Last edited by morac : 03-31-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:42 AM   #297
Mike-Wolf

Quote:
Totally agree.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:47 AM   #298
Mike-Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
The problem is that unlike Verizon, Comcast bought most of it's cable systems. Not only does Comcast have to deal with whatever legacy equipment was in use, it's also beholden to whatever prior contracts those companies had with their local towns. Though the later is less important than the prior as most contrasts only applied to analog cable TV, which Comcast has dropped in most areas. The equipment issue is still ongoing though.
Major problem is when Comcast buys out another cable provider then wipes everything out and puts what THEY want in and it ends up being the wrong stuff. For example down in Toms River back in 2002 or something, Comcast bought out Adelphia Cable which at the time had Motorola equipment, set top boxes, and headends. When Comcast came in they took everything out and put Scientific Atlanta/Cisco in instead. What's stupid is that like 80% of Comcast's serviced areas nationwide use Motorola equipment and in some areas Pace equipment. Comcast has admitted that Scientific Atlanta/Cisco serviced areas are long overdue for major updates and have been treated poorly. Unfortunately when it comes to actually doing anything about it, they fall short.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #299
morac
Cat God

Quote:

Major problem is when Comcast buys out another cable provider then wipes everything out and puts what THEY want in and it ends up being the wrong stuff. For example down in Toms River back in 2002 or something, Comcast bought out Adelphia Cable which at the time had Motorola equipment, set top boxes, and headends. When Comcast came in they took everything out and put Scientific Atlanta/Cisco in instead. What's stupid is that like 80% of Comcast's serviced areas nationwide use Motorola equipment and in some areas Pace equipment. Comcast has admitted that Scientific Atlanta/Cisco serviced areas are long overdue for major updates and have been treated poorly. Unfortunately when it comes to actually doing anything about it, they fall short.
Are you sure about that as that makes no business sense at all. It is very costly to replace all the headend and user loaned equipment which is why Comcast doesn't switch SA/Cisco users to Motorola despite probably wanting to.

Doing a quick search, I found a news story that Adelphia collapsed because of a scandal having to do with payoffs from Scientific Atlanta where Adelphia basically blackmailed Scientific Atlantia into giving them money. That would make no sense if Adelphia used Motorola.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money...nta-usat_x.htm

Then there's this article about Adelphia deploying a then new SA cable box in Toms River back in 2000, prior to being bought by Comcast. So it's likely Adelphia was either always using SA in Toms River or switched because of the payoff. Either way it didn't involve Comcast.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-73498352.html
Old 03-31-2013, 09:25 AM   #300
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Are you sure about that as that makes no business sense at all. It is very costly to replace all the headend and user loaned equipment which is why Comcast doesn't switch SA/Cisco users to Motorola despite probably wanting to.[/url]
I agree with Morac that it's unlikely that they switched head-end and all end-user equipment from one to other due to the extremely huge cost to do so.

But there are some scenarios in cable system consolidations where the end-user side could get swapped. Both Adelphia and Comcast grew through acquisition and that includes acquiring smaller cable systems near much larger ones and then later consolidating the head-ends. In that case, you could see the much smaller acquired franchise switching from one STB to another as they integrated the head-ends and the distribution plant. They would have had to do an ROI on the cost of integration and STB swap-outs versus maintaining multiple head-ends and I would expect to see it happen only in the smaller sites due to the cost.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote