TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:00 PM   #151
buscuitboy

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
As someone who cut the cord almost 2 years ago and is OTA only, I can only hope you are wrong.
I actually hope I am wrong too as I have been contemplating cutting the cord too, but I suppose we'll find out hopefully later this year.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #152
Dan203
Super Moderator

As someone else mentioned TiVo recently filed a petition with the FCC asking for a waiver so they do not have to include analog support in their next generation units. They specifically mention in the waiver request that at least one of the units will support OTA.

We don't know the exact configuration of the units but we do know for a fact, from TiVos own petition to the FCC, that there will be one that supports OTA.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #153
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Technically, just because TiVo mentions DTV (antenna) in their FCC filing doesn't mean they have to make an OTA DVR.
They are covering their bases so they CAN, if they choose to do so.

I sure hope they choose to do so, otherwise I'll just stick with what I have now and never buy another TiVo product.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #154
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Technically, just because TiVo mentions DTV (antenna) in their FCC filing doesn't mean they have to make an OTA DVR.
They are covering their bases so they CAN, if they choose to do so.

I sure hope they choose to do so, otherwise I'll just stick with what I have now and never buy another TiVo product.
Usually by the time they file these things they already have the product designed. I doubt they would mention OTA in the filing if they weren't planning on actually supporting it.

Edit: I was just re-reading the waiver request and this part seems to prove that they are intending to make a OTA unit...

Quote:
The requested waivers will allow TiVo to continue its history of expanding consumer choice in the retail set-top box market through the introduction of new all-digital devices. The devices subject to the requested waivers are part of the next generation of TiVo's all-digital "Premiere" line, for which the Commission previously granted TiVo waivers of portions of the "Digital Cable Ready" certification, marketing, and labeling rules (the DCRRules). TiVo therefore requires an extension of the existing waiver for those devices. One model of TiVo's new all-digital DVRs would include ATSC over-the-air reception capability; this model, therefore, requires waiver of both the DCR Rules and Section 15.117(b)'s dual analog/digital tuner requirement.
They specifically reference the "next generation" of Premiere units and are specifically asking for the waiver to be extended to include rules in the OTA mandates as well as the digital cable ones.

Last edited by Dan203 : 03-18-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #155
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Usually by the time they file these things they already have the product designed. I doubt they would mention OTA in the filing if they weren't planning on actually supporting it.

Edit: I was just re-reading the waiver request and this part seems to prove that they are intending to make a OTA unit...

They specifically reference the "next generation" of Premiere units and are specifically asking for the waiver to be extended to include rules in the OTA mandates as well as the digital cable ones.
What mandates are there in OTA rules? There is no OTA analog anymore...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #156
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

[quote omitted]

Yeah, that wording leaves me hopeful. We'll just have to wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
What mandates are there in OTA rules? There is no OTA analog anymore...
At this time, low power independant stations are still allowed to broadcast in analog.
I think there is a cutoff when analog is to be abandoned completely, but that hasn't happened yet (2015?)
And until that time comes, you need a waiver from the FCC to exclude analog tuning capability in any product put forth to consumers.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #157
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
At this time, low power independant stations are still allowed to broadcast in analog.
I think there is a cutoff when analog is to be abandoned completely, but that hasn't happened yet (2015?)
And until that time comes, you need a waiver from the FCC to exclude analog tuning capability in any product put forth to consumers.
Oh man, the FCC needs to grow a pair. They should have done a total cutover not long after the initial cut-over.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #158
jadziedzic

September 1, 2015 is the cutoff date for the remaining analog stations in the US to cease broadcasting.
jadziedzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #159
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Oh man, the FCC needs to grow a pair. They should have done a total cutover not long after the initial cut-over.
You seriously underestimate the ability of rural Americans to scream at the FCC and their elected representatives over the need to get a digital tuner box for that 30 year old set they still watch.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #160
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
You seriously underestimate the ability of rural Americans to scream at the FCC and their elected representatives over the need to get a digital tuner box for that 30 year old set they still watch.
I hope you are joking -

The one I know of in the Rochester NY area is a home shopping network and doesn't have enough strength to make it very far out of the city. There were other low power stations again all in or near the city but I think most have gone away or converted to digital the last one to convert that I know about was the MyTV network again it was near the city not in the Rural areas.

Frankly I agree with the sentiment that it is BS that these things are still around.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #161
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
That has nothing to do with it, as it was only small stations and translators, but the FCC just didn't grow a pair to force them over for a long, long time.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:52 PM   #162
dhoward

I have a question. I have my Mini connected to a P4. It works as advertised. I can watch both live TV and recorded shows. I also have a P2 and it can also see that and play anything in the My Shows folder. I thought it would not work at all with a P2 or is it just that it cannot watch live tv on the P2.

In addition I was a little bothered that my 4 tuner had to become a 3 tuner but since I have not encountered a time when I need all 4 tuners recording it has not been a problem. Even if it was I can set the Mini to record the fourth show if needed and just not watch anything while it is recording. So from my perspective it seems like some of the short comings are not as bad as I originally thought. Am I missing something?
dhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #163
Arcady
Stargate Fan

The Mini can't record anything. You can only record three shows at a time if you have a tuner reserved for the Mini.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #164
dhoward

I set up a recording from the mini and it recorded. What tuner recorded if not the one assigned to the mini?
Old 03-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #165
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoward View Post
I set up a recording from the mini and it recorded. What tuner recorded if not the one assigned to the mini?
It records on the host 4 tuner unit. i.e. The Mini is just a front end to the host unit for anything to do with setting up recordings, season passes, etc. The tuner used for live TV by the Mini is actually barred from recording anything except for live TV for the purpose of viewing on the Mini. Since the host unit only has 3 tuners left for recording in this situation, you can only record up to 3 things at a time.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #166
dhoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
It records on the host 4 tuner unit. i.e. The Mini is just a front end to the host unit for anything to do with setting up recordings, season passes, etc. The tuner used for live TV by the Mini is actually barred from recording anything except for live TV for the purpose of viewing on the Mini. Since the host unit only has 3 tuners left for recording in this situation, you can only record up to 3 things at a time.

You are right. I just did a record and then looked at the P4 to see which tuner was being used and it was one of the unused 3. What about the ability of watching recorded shows on the P2. Is that my imagination? I thought the P2 could not be accessed by the Mini or is that only for live TV?
Old 03-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #167
Arcady
Stargate Fan

You can watch recordings from any 2-tuner Premiere on your network. Some people on this forum have reported that they disconnected their 4-tuner boxes from the network and it continued to work from 2-tuner boxes, but with some type of error message. But nobody has tried removing their 4-tuner box from their TiVo account, as far as I know.

You cannot watch a live tuner from a 2-tuner box, because it has no option to allow a tuner for remote devices.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #168
overFEDEXed

Here is the error screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
You can watch recordings from any 2-tuner Premiere on your network. Some people on this forum have reported that they disconnected their 4-tuner boxes from the network and it continued to work from 2-tuner boxes, but with some type of error message. But nobody has tried removing their 4-tuner box from their TiVo account, as far as I know.

You cannot watch a live tuner from a 2-tuner box, because it has no option to allow a tuner for remote devices.
Here is the error screen, when trying to access the two tuner, after disconnecting the Host, four tuner.

photo 1.JPG
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #169
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by overFEDEXed View Post
Here is the error screen, when trying to access the two tuner, after disconnecting the Host, four tuner.

Attachment 18516
The error pops up and you hit ok. Then it shows the other TiVos on your network. And you select the one you want to view shows from.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:33 AM   #170
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

For as long as Tivo keeps this loophole open of course, we also don't know if it's time-limited yet.

Most people won't bother doing a buy-and-return on a 4-tuner to get 2-tuners working with a Mini IMO, so they may just leave it this way.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #171
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
For as long as Tivo keeps this loophole open of course, we also don't know if it's time-limited yet.

Most people won't bother doing a buy-and-return on a 4-tuner to get 2-tuners working with a Mini IMO, so they may just leave it this way.
Hmmmn, I might consider it just to get past this BS rule that Tivo has on the 2 tuner boxes.

JK but I sure can see some people doing this.

Last edited by magnus : 03-22-2013 at 09:38 AM.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote