TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
brucemwilliams
Grand Newbie

Amazon Instant Video

I can watch on my premiere, but can't watch on my mini?
Says to policy restrictions this cannot be played on "unknown" or something like that.
Can't watch the hobbit, or choose my first 3 seasons of modern family downloads.
However, if I choose to play the entire folder which begins with several tivo recorded tivo episodes...it plays one right after the other even the DL'd protected ones.

What gives? Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited by brucemwilliams : 03-16-2013 at 07:58 PM.
brucemwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict

The Amazon content is not supposed to be allowed to be streamed to another box. This is not a new policy. But it sounds like there is a bug if you are allowed to stream the Amazon content when playing the entire contents of a folder.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
brucemwilliams
Grand Newbie

Why is that exactly? I can understand policy restrictions to prevent streaming to your ipad or off of your home network. But, I am streaming from my Premiere to the mini that is connected specifically to the premiere which is required in the first place.

There should be a way on Amazon to register/marry this device to allow streaming from the premiere.

What does this really solve? I now have a new paperweight that doesn't do half what I bought it to do.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
jjd_87

Then you should have read the box/website before you purchased. Simple as that.
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
brucemwilliams
Grand Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd_87 View Post
Then you should have read the box/website before you purchased. Simple as that.
I don't recall reading anywhere on tivo's website that it doesn't provide access to amazon videos already residing on the mother premiere.

The box says:
1.) connects to your 4 tuner tivo through your home network

2.) Watch live TV or recorded shows from your 4 tuner tivo

3.) Access your 4-tuner tivo to schedule recordings blah blah

4.) Provide access to movies and music from Hulu Plus, pandora, youtube and other broadband content services.

And you are right, reading what it says it can do, I should have read between the lines and parsed words do decipher what it can't.

Thanks for the smart bleep response. Be helpful next time or be quiet.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemwilliams View Post
Why is that exactly? I can understand policy restrictions to prevent streaming to your ipad or off of your home network. But, I am streaming from my Premiere to the mini that is connected specifically to the premiere which is required in the first place.

There should be a way on Amazon to register/marry this device to allow streaming from the premiere.

What does this really solve? I now have a new paperweight that doesn't do half what I bought it to do.
My understanding is the same restriction applies to Premiere to Premiere streaming. Also pod casts can not be transfered between TiVo DVRs even thou you they are free down loads and you can down load them to more than one DVR. No idea why the restrictions are there but I am guessing it has to do with licensing.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
brucemwilliams
Grand Newbie

Thank you for the response. While the transport mechanism from Premiere to mini may be "streaming", it differs from the Tivo Stream (which I have also). I am more concerned that the mini is essentially a Tivo extender. Strange that media extenders (xbox, ceton) can play amazon video's through mediacenter, but the tivo cannot.

It is definitely a coding/licensing issue, as I stated above...choosing to play the entire folder is possible...so not an equipment issue.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
monkeydust

I'm gonna be hella mad if they finally implement it and it doesn't support prime instant streaming. I'd seriously consider buying a second mini to replace my series 3 if it did (hate having to switch to ps3 or samsung smart hub to access it.
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
takeagabu

Whoa, lets keep this civil.

From Engadget review:
"TiVo assures us that it is working to get Netflix, as well as Amazon, added to the Mini..."

I am not sure, but I believe the issue is that amazon uses a lot of onboard storage to buffer video that the mini doesn't have and they are working on a workaround.
takeagabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
waterchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
I'm gonna be hella mad if they finally implement it and it doesn't support prime instant streaming. I'd seriously consider buying a second mini to replace my series 3 if it did (hate having to switch to ps3 or samsung smart hub to access it.
Current Premiere's don't support Amazon Prime Instant Streaming so be prepared to be mad.
waterchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
monkeydust

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterchange View Post
Current Premiere's don't support Amazon Prime Instant Streaming so be prepared to be mad.
Yeah, I know. But, this is basic functionality that you can get on many other devices (much cheaper ones too).
Old 03-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #12
bradleys
It'll be fine....

@monkeydust, I think your concern is different the OP's.

The OP is commenting on his inability to stream from his host TiVo to the Mini - Amazon content that has been downloaded. This is the same restriction seen in MRS TiVo to TiVo streaming. So this is an expected behavior.

I would guess that it is either a TiVo specific requirement of Amazon's or specific to the "never copy" flag Amazon places on the downloaded content.

If I am reading your post correctly, you are lamenting the lack of Amazon Prime streaming to TiVo's in general. That is a well known concern and not specific to the Mini. Once TiVo gets Amazon streaming, I am sure the Mini will get Amazon streaming.

I have Amazon Prime, but I have never found any free content that interested me, so becides the desire to have more content - I am just not that concerned about it, personally.

Question to the group: Do you think Amazon is not allowing Amazon Prime streaming on the TiVo Premiers because of performance concerns? Laggy performance of the Adobe Air apps?
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 03-19-2013 at 12:58 PM.
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #13
monkeydust

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
@monkeydust, I think your concern is different the OP's.

The OP is commenting on his inability to stream from his host TiVo to the Mini - Amazon content that has been downloaded. This is the same restriction seen in MRS TiVo to TiVo streaming. So this is an expected behavior.

I would guess that it is either a TiVo specific requirement of Amazon's or specific to the "never copy" flag Amazon places on the downloaded content.

If I am reading your post correctly, you are lamenting the lack of Amazon Prime streaming to TiVo's in general. That is a well known concern and not specific to the Mini. Once TiVo gets Amazon streaming, I am sure the Mini will get Amazon streaming.

I have Amazon Prime, but I have never found any free content that interested me, so becides the desire to have more content - I am just not that concerned about it, personally.

Question to the group: Do you think Amazon is not allowing Amazon Prime streaming on the TiVo Premiers because of performance concerns? Laggy performance of the Adobe Air apps?
Yes, you are correct. My point is different than the OP's.

As for your question for the group, I was just assuming that the subscriber numbers for TiVo were not so high that it was a burning app to be developed by Amazon compared to some of the other platforms.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Yes. Technically the TiVo Premiere platform does not even have enough CPU power to meet the minimum requirements for Adobe Air.

I think that once the next gen hardware is released, with it's faster CPU, we're likely see an influx of services that already have Adobe Air apps. Adobe Air is also used for Samsung Smart TVs, and they have a bunch of apps TiVo doesn't have. I'm hoping that once the TiVo platform is upgraded to meet the minimum specs that we'll see more of those apps offered via TiVo. Not just Amazon but other services like HBOGo, VUDU, Crackle, etc... That would finally allow TiVo to meet their "one box" promise.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #15
monkeydust

Everything seems pretty snappy in the mini. So, I was hoping we'd get Amazon streaming on it.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #16
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Yes. Technically the TiVo Premiere platform does not even have enough CPU power to meet the minimum requirements for Adobe Air.

I think that once the next gen hardware is released, with it's faster CPU, we're likely see an influx of services that already have Adobe Air apps. Adobe Air is also used for Samsung Smart TVs, and they have a bunch of apps TiVo doesn't have. I'm hoping that once the TiVo platform is upgraded to meet the minimum specs that we'll see more of those apps offered via TiVo. Not just Amazon but other services like HBOGo, VUDU, Crackle, etc... That would finally allow TiVo to meet their "one box" promise.
Makes me wonder. We know the Mini processor is more powerful. Odds that Amazon Prime Streaming comes to the Mini only? And is then added to the future Premieres?
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #17
Dan203
Super Moderator

Probably not. Even if the hardware is capable I doubt they'd want to confuse people by releasing apps that only work on the Mini. They'll probably hold them back until both the host and Mini can run them. Plus they're probably trying not to tip off too many people to the upcoming hardware change because they don't want to slow sales of current gen TiVos.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #18
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Makes me wonder. We know the Mini processor is more powerful. Odds that Amazon Prime Streaming comes to the Mini only? And is then added to the future Premieres?
Well that might help move more Minis but it might cause people to stop buying new DVRs. Frankly TiVo really needed to update this equipment long ago. Just think about it the Premiere was released in what March of 2010 and I remember someone saying the manufacture date on their Premiere was the fall of 2009. So this hardware is closing in on 4 years old, just think if Apple had tried to sell the same ianything for the last 4 years with just software updates would anyone be buying?
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 03-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #19
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Well that might help move more Minis but it might cause people to stop buying new DVRs. Frankly TiVo really needed to update this equipment long ago. Just think about it the Premiere was released in what March of 2010 and I remember someone saying the manufacture date on their Premiere was the fall of 2009. So this hardware is closing in on 4 years old, just think if Apple had tried to sell the same ianything for the last 4 years with just software updates would anyone be buying?
Of course alot of people would still be buying.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #20
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Of course alot of people would still be buying.
Do you really believe alot of people would buy outdated Apple hardware instead of the updated alternatives, without Apple having to nearly give it away? The only reason I think TiVo can get away with it is because we basically have no alternatives.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 03-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #21
Gaidin43

Amazon prime video has a great deal of content that is not available on Netflix. It allows another source free streaming of TV shows and movies now that that Netflix library is becoming increasingly less desirable.
Gaidin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #22
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
Do you really believe alot of people would buy outdated Apple hardware instead of the updated alternatives, without Apple having to nearly give it away? The only reason I think TiVo can get away with it is because we basically have no alternatives.
Yes I truly believe it. I know some people who would buy a polished turd from Apple if they put the apple logo on it. They are pretty much Apple everything.
And that is their choice. Nothing wrong with it if that's what they want to do.