Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #91
Jstkiddn
Fruit Loop Dingus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
This is from an interview EW did with Brandon before filming started. He is asked about Russell. Someone please explain the very last sentence to me.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/23/su...-hantz-ussell/

EW: Well, let’s talk about a tough Hantz man. Russell was pretty harsh about your previous performance, both during the season and at the live reunion. What’s your relationship like now?
BRANDON: Uhhhh…it actually was wonderful, until I got back together with my wife.

EW: Why is that?
BRANDON: Because when you’re lonely and sad, you want to be lonely and sad with someone else. And I’m being straight-up. I want him to see this. I want him to read this. Maybe it will hit him in his head. When something good happens for somebody and nothing good has happened for you, you get a little bit bitter. And I feel like that’s what it is right now. I feel like he’s very sad and hurt and it kinda sucks because we had a really good time together when I wasn’t with my wife, and I wanted that kind of relationship, even with my wife. So it shows that it’s an ulterior motive from him to obviously have me as a friend, as a companion. I’m just there to help his pain go away, which I didn’t do anything with him sexually so I don’t see how that is a problem.

I couldn't even begin to understand that last sentence.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #92
laria
Librocubicularist

I think that he is saying that he separated from his wife and was hanging out a lot with Russell, but that Russell stopped hanging out with him after he got back together with his wife, and he didn't see why that would bother Russell since it wasn't like they were sleeping together or something.

But...

WTF? Why would you even need to clarify that about your uncle?!
Old 03-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #93
VegasVic
Craps Player

Who the heck knows what really happened with all the editing. What I DO know is I watch this show because it entertains me. Brandon the hayseed does not entertain me. Nor does anyone else really. This is shaping up as one of the worst seasons IMHO. I wasn't optimistic when one of the "favorites" had been the first one voted out previously.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #94
newsposter
Poster of News

loved his diary room where he said he's proud of him going out on his own terms.

i guess thats what you call it? seems like the jury voted you off though to me.

quitting is your own terms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #95
Tracy
Truly

Here is another article from Reality Blurred that talks about Brandon's after-eviction press interview statements:

http://www.realityblurred.com/realit...don-interviews
Old 03-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #96
MegaHertz67
Registered Smart Ass

Here is what I remember about Brandon the first time around:

He wanted to fly under the radar and not let people know he was related to Russell. But he has a big tattoo of his last name on his arm. When confronted, he freely admits the relationship with Russell, but claims he's playing to try and redeem his family's name.

There was this whole vibe of faith and religion, and he was so torn up over being attracted to a couple of the women in the tribe and not being able to balance his "lustful" feelings with his faith or his desire to be faithful to his wife. To the point where he sought to get a couple voted out early so he would be free of that temptation.

Coach, rightly so, used that desire to be pious to help control Brandon with their prayer circles. Coach always tried to show a spiritual side, but was never overly religious until it suited him to control Brandon and his tribe.

Brandon always seemed like a messy bag of conflictions. He was a rabid follower looking for a leader. He wanted to play with honesty and integrity, but couldn't help but scheme and be deceitful. He was full of emotions that seemed to bubble over as either outward focused rage, or inward focused pity that manifested itself as tears of failure and remorse.

So many of of these same characteristics were present this time as well with the notable exception of outward displays of faith. One minute he wanted to play the game with pride and integrity, the next he wanted to burn the hut down and pee in the rice.

What was missing this time was a charismatic leader for him to follow. Someone that could help focus Brandon's energy and manic behavior into more socially acceptable direction. Who knew that Coach was all that kept this from happening the first time around. I guess I need to have a little more respect for Coach than I had before.

“Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
-- John F. Kennedy
MegaHertz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #97
nyny523
Oy

Phillip is a total narcissist.

Brandon is psychotic.

Lots of crazies this season...
Old 03-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #98
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
i wonder if we will get some new rule regarding forfeiting? like you lose 2 members. but you cant force someone to do something so they would just stand there or play so bad as to lose. would be lame to watch.
I think it might be interesting to watch them try to lose, especially if they tried to lose without letting the other team or Jeff know they were. I think that's happened before. Of course, if everyone knows you're trying to lose someone will spill the beans. In some challenges if you're the last guy tossing at a target or doing a puzzle, it would be easy.

Quote:
Yep. We know they were going to remove him from the game no matter what, so the Favorites made a mistake in forfeiting.
Why? Either way they lost 1 guy. If they go ahead and have a challenge after that, they have a chance of losing 2.

The whole thing could possibly been avoided if whichever stupid girl hadn't told him Phillip wanted to vote him out. Duh.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #99
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:

Yep. We know they were going to remove him from the game no matter what, so the Favorites made a mistake in forfeiting.
How do we know this? In 25 seasons of Survivor, I don't think the producers have ever pulled anyone from the game, so it's odd that you're so adamant that this is what they were going to do this time.

I think the Favorites knew they did not want to live another day with Brandon. They thought about throwing the challenge to ensure they'd go to TC. Then they figured there was no point in going through the motions at the challenge, why not just forfeit before it starts?
Old 03-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #100
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I think it might be interesting to watch them try to lose, especially if they tried to lose without letting the other team or Jeff know they were. I think that's happened before. Of course, if everyone knows you're trying to lose someone will spill the beans. In some challenges if you're the last guy tossing at a target or doing a puzzle, it would be easy.

Why? Either way they lost 1 guy. If they go ahead and have a challenge after that, they have a chance of losing 2.

The whole thing could possibly been avoided if whichever stupid girl hadn't told him Phillip wanted to vote him out. Duh.
If they forfeit they lose Brandon and the Fans lose nobody.

If they refuse to forfeit, they lose Brandon and the challenge is played without giving the fans a boost in morale plus they have the opportunity to eliminate another Fan. Yes, they could have lost Brandon and then lost the challenge also, but that is no different from the chance they may lose the next challenge anyway.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #101
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
How do we know this? In 25 seasons of Survivor, I don't think the producers have ever pulled anyone from the game, so it's odd that you're so adamant that this is what they were going to do this time.

I think the Favorites knew they did not want to live another day with Brandon. They thought about throwing the challenge to ensure they'd go to TC. Then they figured there was no point in going through the motions at the challenge, why not just forfeit before it starts?
Yes, I am adamant that the producers would not have left Brandon in the game. Do you really think they would have allowed him to stay in the game? Maybe nobody has been removed from Survivor yet, but I have seen contestants removed from many reality shows for being a threat to others.

Forfeiting is never a good choice. They gave the fans a morale boost along with momentum and lost a chance to take another Fan out.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #102
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Yes, I am adamant that the producers would not have left Brandon in the game. Do you really think they would have allowed him to stay in the game? Maybe nobody has been removed from Survivor yet, but I have seen contestants removed from many reality shows for being a threat to others.

Forfeiting is never a good choice. They gave the fans a morale boost along with momentum and lost a chance to take another Fan out.
I dunno, if they were serious about removing him, why wait until after the challenge? He was threatening Phillip at camp - why not take him out then and there if that was their intent?

I'm not buying what you are selling...sorry.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #103
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
I dunno, if they were serious about removing him, why wait until after the challenge? He was threatening Phillip at camp - why not take him out then and there if that was their intent?

I'm not buying what you are selling...sorry.
So you think they would have let Brandon stay in the game?
Old 03-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #104
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I have to side with nyny et. al. Maybe they would have removed Brandon, maybe they wouldn't have. I see nothing on the show to suggest that they would have, and obviously the contestants didn't feel it was a sure thing either. The risk that they wouldn't take him out was certainly too great for them to accept.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #105
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:

Your premise is based on the idea that they'd eliminate two people in this episode. That happens very rarely on Survivor, less than once per season. Since they just had two people eliminated in the previous episode, I think it's incredibly unlikely that they'd do it again so soon.

The Favorites wanted to make sure Brandon went home. The only way to make absolutely sure that happens was to forfeit. Anything else introduces a chance that Brandon may not go home.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #106
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
So you think they would have let Brandon stay in the game?
I'm saying that if they were prepared to pull him, it would have happened prior to the challenge.

They wouldn't have decided he needed to go, let him play, waited to see what happened and THEN pull him.

That is just illogical.

On BB, the moment a threat is made, the player is pulled. It has happened more than once.

They weren't going to pull him. It was good TV and they knew it, and were willing to take the risk.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #107
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

Does anyone know where Jeff Probst's blog is? I don't know why I can't find it.. Google is NOT my friend today.

I'm curious to see what he wrote.... rather than just Dalton's Q&A with him.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #108
tiams

Quote:
I'm saying that if they were prepared to pull him, it would have happened prior to the challenge.

They wouldn't have decided he needed to go, let him play, waited to see what happened and THEN pull him.

That is just illogical.

On BB, the moment a threat is made, the player is pulled. It has happened more than once.

They weren't going to pull him. It was good TV and they knew it, and were willing to take the risk.
I'm saying that the producers already intended to pull him and when the tribe mentioned throwing the challenge they decided to let it play out that way for the sake of the story. That made it good TV and made it seem like the tribe was in control instead of it looking like the people behind the scenes were making the decision. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they were encouraged to forfeit. I think if the team had not forfeited then the producers would have had no choice but to remove him. He would not have competed in the challenge.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #109
Jstkiddn
Fruit Loop Dingus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriAnne View Post
Does anyone know where Jeff Probst's blog is? I don't know why I can't find it.. Google is NOT my friend today.

I can never find it either.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #110
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
I'm saying

We know, but you're not offering anything beyond "I'm saying" and that's not enough. I'm sure you understand.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:52 AM   #111
59er
TiVotee

Quote:

I believe that it gets linked from the end of Dalton Ross's recap on Thursday mornings, after it is posted.
59er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #112
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:

I'm saying that the producers already intended to pull him and when the tribe mentioned throwing the challenge they decided to let it play out that way for the sake of the story. That made it good TV and made it seem like the tribe was in control instead of it looking like the people behind the scenes were making the decision. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they were encouraged to forfeit. I think if the team had not forfeited then the producers would have had no choice but to remove him. He would not have competed in the challenge.
Why do you think the producers wanted to pull Brandon? As far as we know, he hadn't violated any rules of the game. From a production standpoint, they wanted him in the game as long as possible. From the standpoint of a show with established rules, they had no justification for removing him. There had been no physical violence or even a threat of physical violence. Everyone involved knew that physical violence would get them kicked off the show and they all want to stay in the game.

Earlier you mentioned that lawyers trump drama. But as nyny pointed out, if they felt they had a legal liability if they didn't pull him, then he would have already been pulled. They wouldn't have allowed him to travel to the challenge with his tribe and stand next to them as Jeff addressed them.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:24 AM   #113
pmyers

Let me tell you....if I was on that tribe and Brandon started dumping my rice and beans, he would have gotten knocked over the head with something!
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #114
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
Here is another article from Reality Blurred that talks about Brandon's after-eviction press interview statements:

http://www.realityblurred.com/realit...don-interviews
That guy is a loon!

What he did does make more sense to me after reading this:

Quote:
There’s clear evidence that he really has issues with acceptance. As to his behavior, interestingly, Brandon said the rice and beans punishment was directed at the whole tribe and came after they decided to throw the challenge to vote him off. The edit suggested it was just directed toward Phillip, which didn’t make much sense.
So he dumped the rice and beans AFTER he knew what they were going to do.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #115
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Let me tell you....if I was on that tribe and Brandon started dumping my rice and beans, he would have gotten knocked over the head with something!
And then you would have been pulled from the game.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #116
hummingbird_206

Quote:

He doesn't do a blog any longer. Hasn't for a season or 2.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #117
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
And then you would have been pulled from the game.
I would have taunted Brandon at the immunity challenge until he went off on the deep end and charge me, then I would take any and all actions to defend myself.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #118
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Quote:

That is just illogical.

There have been plenty of verbal threats, the one threat I remember on BB did the guy have a knife when he made it? That was a little different than just a verbal threat.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #119
MauriAnne
Mostly lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
He doesn't do a blog any longer. Hasn't for a season or 2.
Thank you. I guess it took me a long time to miss it.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #120
fmowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
All this focus on Brandon... didn't anyone notice (or care about) Brenda's obvious limping around at the reward challenge? Or her poorly disguised knee brace at the aborted reward challenge?
As the only other hetero male in this thread, I noticed her limping right away.

I think Phillip would have taken Brandon. Brandon goes about 5 foot 2. Phillip has shown he's pretty strong.

It's time for Dawn to go. She's unstable too. And the too white teeth are distracting.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote