TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #31
sehale

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehale View Post
GSM-11 here too in Newark (northern) Delaware. VOD used to work just fine...
Fixed today all on its own. I rebooted it yesterday with no apparent effect. Checked it tonight after getting home from work and it is back to working again.

sehale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:07 AM   #32
mpnret

Mine started working also. It looks like Comcast had some issues that they secretly corrected.

mpnret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #33
mickpetey

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskierc View Post
I've been getting the GSM-11 Error in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area for a couple days now. Anoka County...

I am in Dakota County(St. Paul), and I was getting the GSM-11 error. I called and Comcast was claiming it was Tivo. Today it is working again...

mickpetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #34
deaklet
Gemütlichkeit

Dreaded GSM-2 error in Arlington, VA. Started with the G-0003 code which my Indian rep said "should never happen."

Rebooted and got SRM-9003 (expired title). Rebooted and got the GSM-2. Going to call US support in the morning. The overnight tech support is not....good.

Oh, a new one! CL-13.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:05 PM   #35
hybucket

GSM-2 Error

Don't know if I should start a new thread on this, but I'll start here.
Getting the GSM-2 error on two TiVOs, a Roamio and a Premiere. Called Comcast. The first tech had no idea what a TiVO was. Hung up, called back. This one found the code and referred it to Tier 2, whatever that is. She said they'd call within the next 72 hours. Right. So I called tiVO just for the hell of it...they confirmed it was definitely a Comcast issue. I dread having to deal with them, doing unncecessary reboots and cable card swaps when none of that is probably necessary. Anyone here have any info that might be worth my while should they actually call me back?

hybucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:24 AM   #36
Finalrinse

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybucket View Post
Don't know if I should start a new thread on this, but I'll start here.
Getting the GSM-2 error on two TiVOs, a Roamio and a Premiere. Called Comcast. The first tech had no idea what a TiVO was. Hung up, called back. This one found the code and referred it to Tier 2, whatever that is. She said they'd call within the next 72 hours. Right. So I called tiVO just for the hell of it...they confirmed it was definitely a Comcast issue. I dread having to deal with them, doing unncecessary reboots and cable card swaps when none of that is probably necessary. Anyone here have any info that might be worth my while should they actually call me back?
I'm also in the que to get a call back in the next 72 hours for the same VOD error code of GSM-2. I'm in S.E. Michigan

Comcast Cable/HD ant OTA
Darblet DVP 5000
Lime-Tech UnRaid Server
Sony VPL-HW40ES Projector
Carada 134" Screen
OPPO 103
Denon AVR-X4000
Finalrinse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:31 AM   #37
hybucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalrinse View Post
I'm also in the que to get a call back in the next 72 hours for the same VOD error code of GSM-2. I'm in S.E. Michigan
The next morning:
I just got a call back, but not from Tier 2. THis was a CSR, who had absolutely no idea what a TiVO was, and kept asking me if VOD worked with my Comcast DVR. I told him I didn't HAVE a Comcast DVR, and he said that was the problem,. and I should swap out for the Comcast X1 or whatever that thing is. He also wanted to do a truck roll, and I said absolutely not. No wonder that TiVO doesn't get the recognition and sales that it deserves! So back to waiting another 72 hours, I guess.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:53 PM   #38
Finalrinse

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybucket View Post
The next morning:
I just got a call back, but not from Tier 2. THis was a CSR, who had absolutely no idea what a TiVO was, and kept asking me if VOD worked with my Comcast DVR. I told him I didn't HAVE a Comcast DVR, and he said that was the problem,. and I should swap out for the Comcast X1 or whatever that thing is. He also wanted to do a truck roll, and I said absolutely not. No wonder that TiVO doesn't get the recognition and sales that it deserves! So back to waiting another 72 hours, I guess.
I decided to call Comcast again while waiting for their call back.
I told the lady I had VOD problems with my TiVo box. She said oh, we have a special department for that, I thought great! She transferred my call and I was surprised when TiVo support answered the phone?? I thought how did that happen?
Anyway, I explained to the TiVo support fellow what happened and he said sometimes that happens. He was nice enough to help me out and actually cured my problem.
He put me on hold and checked my system and said my MoCA system had some low numbers in areas (I have 4 minis) and asked if I had splitters. I said no but I did have an inline attenuator at the Romeo because of a too strong over 100% signal on all my channels. He suggested I take it out, now VOD pops up and works every time.
So, the moral of the story is make sure the signal is very strong and eliminate splitters or attenuators to see if that helps. I'm sure this is not everyone's problem but may help.
He also said this is a nation wide problem recently

Comcast Cable/HD ant OTA
Darblet DVP 5000
Lime-Tech UnRaid Server
Sony VPL-HW40ES Projector
Carada 134" Screen
OPPO 103
Denon AVR-X4000
Finalrinse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:37 PM   #39
hybucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalrinse View Post
I decided to call Comcast again while waiting for their call back.
I told the lady I had VOD problems with my TiVo box. She said oh, we have a special department for that, I thought great! She transferred my call and I was surprised when TiVo support answered the phone?? I thought how did that happen?
Anyway, I explained to the TiVo support fellow what happened and he said sometimes that happens. He was nice enough to help me out and actually cured my problem.
He put me on hold and checked my system and said my MoCA system had some low numbers in areas (I have 4 minis) and asked if I had splitters. I said no but I did have an inline attenuator at the Romeo because of a too strong over 100% signal on all my channels. He suggested I take it out, now VOD pops up and works every time.
So, the moral of the story is make sure the signal is very strong and eliminate splitters or attenuators to see if that helps. I'm sure this is not everyone's problem but may help.
He also said this is a nation wide problem recently
Not a surprise the CSR sent you to TiVO. I suspect they've been instructed to do as little as possible for TiVO owners.
I posted on the Comcast forum today, and a (supposed) Comcast employee replied, saying he would send it to the upper-ups and I would be hearing from them shortly. How he could do that, since he had absolutely no idea of who I was, beats me. And yes, the postings on the Comcast forum are from all parts of the country, dating back to 2012 and as recently as today.
Now almost at 48 hours for me. Still no word from anyone.

Old 11-21-2015, 07:06 AM   #40
Family

Mine actually sometimes works and sometimes does not. And it works more downstairs than upstairs. The upstairs run is a longer length so it makes sense there is some relationship to signal strength.

Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:09 AM   #41
Mokeman

So I ran into the evil GSM-2 error on VOD on my Tivo Romeo here in Covington Washington (South Seattle area).

Went thru the whole drill with calling Comcast customer service and all of that jazz to no avail.

I have a ticket open for Tech Support, and of course they haven't called me back.

Anyways, I did some experimenting, and I found that I could actually get it to work on my own, but it's a real pain in the butt :

1) When you get the GSM-2 error screen, you are forced to hit "Ok" (the center select button on your remote).

2) When you hit select ("ok") to accept the GSM-2 error message, it takes you back to the previous screen.

3) Xfinity On Demand will already be highlighted on this previous screen, so go ahead and hit 'select' again.

4) You will get the GSM-2 error screen again. Hit select on your remote to acknowledge the error.

Repeat steps 3 & 4 over, and over, and over again - just keep hitting select over and over again.

It will take about 10 times, but eventually it will work. I tried this multiple times throughout the day, and it does work. You will know when it takes, because you will see a delay before going right to the GSM-2 error screen.

Note: Sometime it "seems" that sometimes you may have to drop back one more menu level on step 3 (move the highlight over to the left pane: Find TV, Movies, & Videos), maybe to mix it up a bit.

But stick with it, - this procedure will NOT fail you. I've been playing with it all day and all night here looking for a 100% repeatable pattern. I haven't found a 100% repeatable pattern, or the exact number times that you have to do steps 3 & 4 (or mixing it up a bit by dropping back one menu item by moving the highlight to "Find TV, Movies, & Video first, then over to XFINITY On Demand).

But I have yet to have NOT eventually get it to go (and get past the GSM-2 error and get to the VOD menus). It does work. Don't get frustrates and give up on this procedure, it does work. Granted we should NOT have to go thru this gimmick, but as it stands now, for me, it is a way to get into the VOD menu and get On Demand working for you. I rented TED II, and the whole movie played fine (once you get into the VOD demand).

So I think it's a "timing" thing. I think the Tivo (Romeo) sends out an authorization request signal to Comcast , but the Tivo doesn't wait long enough to get a response from the (slow) Comcast server(s), and so it times out and generates the GSM-2 error screen. Either that or that it gets some immediate error back from their server, and by keep banging away on requests eventually gets thru for some reason. By trying it over, and over, and over again, you increase your odds that you will get a response back before the Tivo generates the GSM-2 page, or that eventually gets a request to squeak thru.

I don't know what the end game is for this issue, but by doing steps 3 & 4 above about 10 times or so (sometimes a little more), you can at least get VOD working, and get On Demand working. I'm starting to think that it's a software bug (timing related?) bun in the Tivo Romeo.

Last edited by Mokeman; 12-21-2015 at 03:15 AM.
Mokeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #42
tfratzke
Disgustipated

I posted this in the Roamio thread, but will post here echoing your post.

Same problem here in Minneapolis market. Just started this weekend. All Tivo's suffering from it. If you repeatedly try to get in, it will eventually load. The one thing i did notice is when searching all sources to get a show the Comcast VOD does not show up as a choice, as i am guessing it can't search the service when it's not working correctly.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:12 AM   #43
Bigg

Same problem in Groton and Branford, CT. Sometimes re-launching everything will get it to work. I rarely use it because it's super annoying to actually use, and right now, I've got an X1 box next to the TiVo anyway.

Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:16 PM   #44
beeman65

This sounds like a national problem and isn't with our equipment luckily. I've had this same problem for the last three weeks. Three new CableCards and two tech visits later with no resolution, I had a gentlemen from a Comcast Tier II/III support tell me, "There is a problem with OnDemand communications getting to the CableCard. Tivo changed something but it is something that we can fix on our side. We are working on it but don't have an estimated fix date." Obviously that isn't word for word but pretty much what he said. Who knows if it is all true, but he had my case escalated and added it to others with the same problem and said I would be contacted when resolved. This conversation was this past Saturday. Hopefully it is resolved soon. I'm hoping for weeks worth of service credit when this is all resolved, especially because it is something Comcast can fix.

beeman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:33 PM   #45
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman65 View Post
This sounds like a national problem and isn't with our equipment luckily. I've had this same problem for the last three weeks. Three new CableCards and two tech visits later with no resolution, I had a gentlemen from a Comcast Tier II/III support tell me, "There is a problem with OnDemand communications getting to the CableCard. Tivo changed something but it is something that we can fix on our side. We are working on it but don't have an estimated fix date." Obviously that isn't word for word but pretty much what he said. Who knows if it is all true, but he had my case escalated and added it to others with the same problem and said I would be contacted when resolved. This conversation was this past Saturday. Hopefully it is resolved soon. I'm hoping for weeks worth of service credit when this is all resolved, especially because it is something Comcast can fix.
1. It is a Comcast issue, and it sounds like a national problem, or at least one that has crept up in many markets. This is NOT a new issue, I've had it for 2+ years, probably since they launched XoD for TiVo in my area.

2. They don't owe you anything, as your cable still works. XoD is not a core part of your cable package.

Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:20 PM   #46
beeman65

OnDemand finally starting working again for me today. Outage of 30 days for me. Comcast gave me a $25 credit. I just explained my issue to Comcast in their chat and asked for a credit and was granted one. No hassle. I'll take it.

beeman65 is offline   Reply With Quote