TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #121
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
If they stay at the prison I would be working on ways to avoid being overrun. There are so few of them and such a large prison that they could actually have 'caches' of food and supplies in a couple other areas that they could get to if needed - and seal off the area that was overrun. Put up some fencing or rearrange the fencing that is there. Glen showed us that there are welding tools. Make the prison more than just a prison. Make it a fort.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #122
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jradosh View Post
By the way, in either scenario (town or prison) I'd spend some time digging an escape tunnel. I don't think it'd be that hard, and it would be easy to disguise so zombies wouldn't find it.
Brilliant. They also need boobie traps like Morgan built. Zombies are persistent but they are pretty dumb.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:04 AM   #123
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post

Brilliant. They also need boobie traps like Morgan built. Zombies are persistent but they are pretty dumb.
On my wish list would be something like a little C4 or dynamite with a remote detonator; not for its destructive ability but as a noisemaker. Set up a cache somewhere off-site. If you get over-run/surrounded/backed into a corner, you trigger the explosion and hopefully the zombies get drawn away from you as they're attracted to the sound.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #124
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Not "no knowledge". The people that Rick kicked out of the prison apparently told the Gov what they know.
And they were there for all of what, 10 minutes? Ok maybe not NO knowledge, but VERY little. It's not like they were drawing maps as Carl led them to the cell block.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #125
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
And they were there for all of what, 10 minutes? Ok maybe not NO knowledge, but VERY little. It's not like they were drawing maps as Carl led them to the cell block.
They lived there for a year...they were already there when Rick & Co. got there.

And of course they lived there for years before the Zombie Outbreak, as prisoners.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #126
Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
They lived there for a year...they were already there when Rick & Co. got there.

And of course they lived there for years before the Zombie Outbreak, as prisoners.
I think they're talking about Tyrese and his gang. They stumbled upon the prison and snuck in the the back where the wall was destroyed.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #127
Beryl

Quote:

Methinks you two are mixing up characters. Prisoners were there for a year. Tyreese and CO were only there for a couple of days (ten minutes).

(Posted at the same time.)
Old 03-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #128
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Oops, yes.

(And the fact that the TV writers have made Tyrese an interchangeable character does NOT speak well of them...)
Old 03-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #129
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Plus, all the prisoners are now dead.

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #130
Peter000

Quote:
Oops, yes.

(And the fact that the TV writers have made Tyrese an interchangeable character does NOT speak well of them...)
We don't know what the writers have planned for Tyrese.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #131
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
We don't know what the writers have planned for Tyrese.
Yes, and that's a waste (compared to the real Tyrese, who is and always has been anything but indistinguishable). On the TV show, "Third Token Black Guy" isn't any different from "Second Token Black Guy"; in the comic book he has always been a distinctive and interesting character.

Then again, so has Michonne. This show has a growing history of taking interesting, fan-favorite black characters from the comic book and making them boring or laughable.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #132
Beryl

Quote:
Yes, and that's a waste (compared to the real Tyrese, who is and always has been anything but indistinguishable). On the TV show, "Third Token Black Guy" isn't any different from "Second Token Black Guy"; in the comic book he has always been a distinctive and interesting character.

Then again, so has Michonne. This show has a growing history of taking interesting, fan-favorite black characters from the comic book and making them boring or laughable.
Couldn't agree with this post more and I blame the writers. It is like they are seriously rationing the lines so all they are allowed to do is use facial expressions. (Lennie James used up the quota a couple of weeks ago.)
Old 03-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #133
Peter000

Quote:

They're both relatively new characters to the TV show, compared to everyone else (save the Woodbury folks).

They just can't instantly build up their characters... they're still in development.

And I think they've done an OK job with Michonne.

But to me, this is a totally different thing from the comic books. Like an alternat universe of the comic. So I don't compare them. (And I think the comic book is written pretty badly... pretty wooden and ham-handed.)
Old 03-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #134
Dawghows

Quote:
And I think they've done an OK job with Michonne.
Agreed. "OK" is right. I don't think she is quite as interesting or as well-developed on the show as she is in the comics, but I think more than a failure of writing, that it's largely a function of the differences between the two mediums. The atmosphere in the comics, at least to me, is quite a bit more brooding and claustrophobic than the show, and Michonne's stoicism fits more seamlessly. On the show, where we get lots of wide-angle landscape shots and LOTS of sunshiny days, I think they've done what they can to make her like the character in the comics, but those traits read differently. She just comes off as stubborn, angry, and mostly silent. I also think they've done a little better job with her in the last two or three episodes.

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #135
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

She also gets a lot more space in the comics, since there IS a lot more space in the comics. There's no fight to get everybody their screen time; Kirkman can take as much time as he likes (he divides his stories into six-issue arcs, and the breaks between issues are often arbitrary...hell, the breaks between arcs are often arbitrary). He just lets things unfold at their own pace.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #136
MacThor
Not Pictured

Maybe the lousy treatment of his black characters is why Kirkman forced Mazzara off the show?
MacThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #137
Peter000

Quote:
She also gets a lot more space in the comics, since there IS a lot more space in the comics. There's no fight to get everybody their screen time; Kirkman can take as much time as he likes (he divides his stories into six-issue arcs, and the breaks between issues are often arbitrary...hell, the breaks between arcs are often arbitrary). He just lets things unfold at their own pace.
With writing there IS NO "at their [the stories] own pace." It's Kirkman's pace period. For good or bad. He could make the TV show the Michonne vs Zombies show, if he wished.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #138
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
With writing there IS NO "at their [the stories] own pace." It's Kirkman's pace period. For good or bad. He could make the TV show the Michonne vs Zombies show, if he wished.
But with television writing there are all kinds of "requirements" that are completely beyond the story. And Kirkman can not make the show about anything he wants; he answers to a lot of other people.

TV is not comic books. Kirkman has absolute control over the comics. There is a raft of people who have control over the TV show, and Kirkman (and any other writer) is relatively low on that totem pole. And most of the people who are above him know (and care) very little about writing.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #139
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

Remember the governor couldn't take the prison: he tried and failed. He was shocked when he heard Rick's group did it. If you can't take it when its defended by zombies, how can you take it when it has people with brains and guns?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #140
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosofy View Post
Remember the governor couldn't take the prison: he tried and failed. He was shocked when he heard Rick's group did it. If you can't take it when its defended by zombies, how can you take it when it has people with brains and guns?
He's not trying to take the prison, he's trying to kill Rick and his group. Big difference.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #141
Test

I don't think the governor tried to take the prison. I think Merle told him it wasn't possible and he took him at his word. That's why he was shocked (& pissed) when he found out a few of them took it.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #142
Barmat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosofy View Post
He wasn't trying to take it at all. He was just testing it's defenses. I think he was incredibly happy how easy it was to cause such chaos and destruction with his clever use of the walker bomb van. I'm sure he thinks he can take it with out much effort. He's an egotistical psychopath after all.
Barmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #143
wprager

By the way, apropos of nothing, I'll finally be able to watch in HD tonight -- our cable provide finally struck the deal with the distributor (who just happens to be a competitor to the cable company).
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #144
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
By the way, apropos of nothing, I'll finally be able to watch in HD tonight -- our cable provide finally struck the deal with the distributor (who just happens to be a competitor to the cable company).
Nothing like severed limbs, heads, spurting blood, & flying body parts in high definition....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #145
MonsterJoe
$('.electric').slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmat View Post
He wasn't trying to take it at all. He was just testing it's defenses. I think he was incredibly happy how easy it was to cause such chaos and destruction with his clever use of the walker bomb van. I'm sure he thinks he can take it with out much effort. He's an egotistical psychopath after all.
There was a discussion in the show that Gov already knew about the existence of the prison and it being a difficult egg to crack...then there was his little assault on the prison a few episodes ago. They are different incidents.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #146
Zevida
witless and unarmed

MonsterJoe, your most recent post is in the wrong thread - a spoiler for those who are catching up. That happened in the 3/24 episode, this thread is for the 3/10 episode. You should delete or spoiler tag.

- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:25 PM   #147
MonsterJoe
$('.electric').slide

*Fixed* Very sorry - I was doing one too many things at once - Thank you for handling it how you did.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #148
KyleLC
Unregistered User

TC CLUB MEMBER
Whew! I was scared for a second! I haven't watched last night's episode yet. Thanks for fixing the spoiler!
KyleLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #149
MonsterJoe
$('.electric').slide

...and good for her, not quoting my spoiler so I could just fix it. So many people do that, and I don't understand why.