TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #301
Mike-Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by certainkaos View Post
Yes... having these exact problems. came here in a troubleshooting session to see if anyone else was having the same problem.
Personally I found that if you change the audio output to PCM the audio dropout is more brief and sometimes less noticeable. I don't know if this is something new brought on by the new software version or a long term thing. I hadn't had my TiVo hooked up since September of 2011 so I missed the various software updates when they first came out. When I got around to setting it up again, it was in February and was hit with the most recent update (this one) right off the bat.
Mike-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #302
chrispitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudx View Post
The exit key no longer clears channel banner but rather keeps popping it up with every press in of it. The exit key is a discrete it key not found on the TiVo remote and is different than the clear key. I use if I exit from guide and menus.
Thanks proudx. What device has this exit key? Is this something on the slider remote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Changing channels is not slow on my Elite, it's no worse than any of the HDs I had before it. The HD UI is way better than it used to be and a lot of good functionality was added last year.
This problem is more accurately described as slow update of the on-screen channel banner. For a better description (and many confirmations) of this problem, see:

Dec 6 software updated - now very slow channel changing (TiVo Premiere XL)
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #303
chrispitude

Adding #6:

1. The channel banner now updates very slowly when changing channels in live TV viewing. (link)

2. Pressing 'clear' to delete a show in a list moves the current select down one entry too far after the deleted item is removed.

3. When you bring up the guide, you must press 'clear' twice instead of once to clear it.

4. If you are watching a delayed live TV buffer and something starts recording on that tuner, you are forcibly pulled away from watching the remainder of the buffer. If that buffer was not explicitly being recorded, it is lost.

5. If you are watching a delayed live TV buffer, the tuner has since moved on to a new program, and you press record to save the delayed currently playing program, the Record menu presents you with options to record the live unseen program instead of the delayed program.

6. While fast-forwarding, the TiVo sometimes incorrectly skips forward several minutes or skips to end. (link)
Old 03-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #304
Mike-Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispitude View Post
Adding #6:
1. The channel banner now updates very slowly when changing channels in live TV viewing. (link)
I'm not seeing any delay with changing channels via the up and down channel buttons, so maybe its a cablecard or service provider issue some people are experiencing?

Last edited by Mike-Wolf : 03-17-2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Burrito
Old 03-17-2013, 05:45 AM   #305
chrispitude

[quote=Mike-Wolf;9575433]
Quote:
Adding #6:

QUOTE]

I'm not seeing any delay with changing channels via the up and down channel buttons, so maybe its a cablecard or service provider issue some people are experiencing?
Hi Mike,

It's not a delay in channel-changing itself; it's a delay in updating the channel banner when pressing channel up/down repeatedly. The link contains a more complete description.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #306
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
This problem is more accurately described as slow update of the on-screen channel banner. For a better description (and many confirmations) of this problem, see:

Dec 6 software updated - now very slow channel changing (TiVo Premiere XL)
Yeah and I don't see this on my Elite with Comcast - maybe it's a TA problem? Channel changes fast enough and banner clears quickly when I have that set in the menus.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #307
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
3. When you bring up the guide, you must press 'clear' twice instead of once to clear it.

6. While fast-forwarding, the TiVo sometimes incorrectly skips forward several minutes or skips to end. (link)
For 3, press guide again to dismiss it not clear. Always works.

For 6, enable 30-sec skip and don't use ff.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #308
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
For 3, press guide again to dismiss it not clear. Always works....
I never use clear/exit...I ALWAYS just hit guide a second time. I've used that action forever...

Quote:
...For 6, enable 30-sec skip and don't use ff.
I know someone's gonna chime in here and say "But, I need my FF to see blah blah blah..." I probably use FF once or twice a WEEK since enabling 30SS several years ago...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #309
weaver

I'll chime in and say I usually use FF because I prefer it. And, programmers are always screwing with the number of commercials in a break, so adjustment may be necessary with 30skip.

Maybe TiVo could just fix the problem.
weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #310
certainkaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-Wolf View Post
Personally I found that if you change the audio output to PCM the audio dropout is more brief and sometimes less noticeable. I don't know if this is something new brought on by the new software version or a long term thing. I hadn't had my TiVo hooked up since September of 2011 so I missed the various software updates when they first came out. When I got around to setting it up again, it was in February and was hit with the most recent update (this one) right off the bat.
I am going with newly introduced. It was never an issue at my house and now we can hardly watch TV its so bad. Changing to PCM helps fix or hide the issue, but then I lose the sound I am looking for.
certainkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #311
Mike-Wolf

[quote=chrispitude;9575599]
Quote:

Hi Mike,

It's not a delay in channel-changing itself; it's a delay in updating the channel banner when pressing channel up/down repeatedly. The link contains a more complete description.
I'm not seeing that at all, it's literally instantaneous. Maybe it's a resolution setting? Weirder things have happened. My resolution is fixed at 1080i and 1080p.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #312
Mike-Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I never use clear/exit...I ALWAYS just hit guide a second time. I've used that action forever...
I also always just hit guide again to make it go away and for the life of me don't think I've used the clear button once this year.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #313
Mike-Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
I'll chime in and say I usually use FF because I prefer it. And, programmers are always screwing with the number of commercials in a break, so adjustment may be necessary with 30skip.

Maybe TiVo could just fix the problem.
I agree that I prefer using the FF feature as opposed to the 30 second skip for the same reason as you pointed out, that sometimes the commercials are of different lengths and either undershoots or overshoots. I'm not sure how TiVo could fix this issue since they don't control commercials. I do wonder why the automatic commercial advance feature found in VCR's aren't available in DVR's now. How it would work was it would record a program and earmark the black transition at the beginning and end of commercial breaks. Then when the recording is played back it would automatically fast forward at the first transition when entering the commercial break and play at the end of the second transition when exiting the commercial break and into the show.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:21 AM   #314
weaver

Quote:
I agree that I prefer using the FF feature as opposed to the 30 second skip for the same reason as you pointed out, that sometimes the commercials are of different lengths and either undershoots or overshoots. I'm not sure how TiVo could fix this issue since they don't control commercials. I do wonder why the automatic commercial advance feature found in VCR's aren't available in DVR's now. How it would work was it would record a program and earmark the black transition at the beginning and end of commercial breaks. Then when the recording is played back it would automatically fast forward at the first transition when entering the commercial break and play at the end of the second transition when exiting the commercial break and into the show.
The problem TiVo can fix is with FF sometimes skipping forward several minutes (to the next tick mark?) or to the end of the show. I haven't seen this problem, but it is what started this discussion.
weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:57 AM   #315
Mike-Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
The problem TiVo can fix is with FF sometimes skipping forward several minutes (to the next tick mark?) or to the end of the show. I haven't seen this problem, but it is what started this discussion.
I always thought each tick was at every 15 minute mark and if the button is held down it would go to the end of the program.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #316
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
I always thought each tick was at every 15 minute mark and if the button is held down it would go to the end of the program.
That IS the way it's designed. But, apparently, a few people are having a problem with it skipping to the end without holding the button down....
Old 03-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #317
Mike-Wolf

Quote:
That IS the way it's designed. But, apparently, a few people are having a problem with it skipping to the end without holding the button down....
yikes well that is unacceptable.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #318
MHunter1
TiVo Bug Hunter

Automatic commercial skip

Quote:
automatic commercial advance feature found in VCR's aren't available in DVR's
Nowadays DVR providers get too much backlash from TV corporations who don't like viewers being able to fast-forward their commercials at all. So for now we'll have to use third-party programs like VideoReDo to manually remove the commercials ourselves at the end-user level.
MHunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #319
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
yikes well that is unacceptable.
I guess it is to the few people it's affecting. Perfectly acceptable to me because I haven't been affected....
Old 03-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #320
Mike-Wolf

Quote:
I guess it is to the few people it's affecting. Perfectly acceptable to me because I haven't been affected....
Haven't experienced the issue either which is why I was so surprised that it existed for others.

Last edited by Mike-Wolf : 03-25-2013 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Iced Tea
Old 03-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #321
drcos
HD where available

The Premiere constantly outputs DD5.1 on the optical output, even for channels that aren't putting out 5.1...is this the Premiere or the software update?

And I get the sound dropout thing also, most pronounced when the video 'moves' from fullscreen to window or back.
The FF/REW all the way to the front or back of the buffer happens mostly on the MusicChoice channels.

Of course, these things happen to me. YMMV.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #322
leiff

this bothers me too. While listening to music, if I zoom in or out of fullscreen I loose the song I was listening to. Playback usually jumps forward a couple tracks. Hopefully TiVo is aware and will fix.
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #323
pspens

Quote:
Haven't experienced the issue either which is why I was so surprised that it existed for others.
I noticed you said the interface worked quickly for you; are you using SD menus? HD menus are a lot slower.
pspens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #324
Mike-Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspens View Post
I noticed you said the interface worked quickly for you; are you using SD menus? HD menus are a lot slower.
HD menu. I've been a user of the Premiere since September of 2010 so I'm well aware of the speed differences between the SD and HD but I've always stuck with the HD. The HD menus are noticeably faster with the recent updates compared to how it was before in 2010. I do notice the issues that drcos and leiff have mentioned. drcos I'm seeing the same constant DD 5.1 signal on the HDMI as well so it's not just you.