TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.89 average.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #91
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Yes. The TiVo Mini box says "compatible with any TiVo with four or more tuners" right on the front.

Four or more? Obviously they will make a box with more than four or they wouldn't write that on the box. (And they could have just written "compatible with Premiere 4 and XL4" if no new boxes were coming soon.)

A six-tuner box won't get me to buy a Mini. It will get me to move my Elite to the den and add a six-tuner to the living room. And I'll just sell a two-tuner box.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #92
jmpage2

Printing it on the box doesn't mean much, other than that they don't want to have to re-print boxes sometime later on.... I do though believe we will see a refresh before another 12 months have elapsed.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #93
Digital Man

I ordered my Mini from Best Buy, so it won't come pre-activated.

I understand I first need to activate it and add it to my account on the Tivo website, before plugging it in.

Then above it says I should force my XL4 to "call home" so that it is aware that my Mini has been added to my account.

My question is how do I make my XL4 "call home"?

Thanks,
DM
Digital Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #94
jmpage2

Go into settings-> network and choose "force network connection".
Old 03-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #95
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Well, I got my minis today and while I have to admit I scoffed a bit at this thread, now I'm apparently in the same boat. The mini can see both of my XL4s but i can't select either of them (error V70) - after an hour and a half of screwing around on the minis, XL4s, and tivo.com and still no joy. I ordered directly from TiVo so they were already activated. I suspect the XL4 has to complete a call, but it's going unbearably slowly for some reason. Although, it already called in at 1pm so I'd have to imagine the minis were already on my account by then.
todd_j_derr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #96
Dan203
Super Moderator

Maybe you just need to reboot the XL4
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #97
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
At this point I'm going to leave it overnight but I'll try a reboot in the AM if it's still not working.

BTW, I saw some speculation it was possible to set up a mini without dedicating a tuner at all, but from the documentation that doesn't seem to be true; I suspect that may be the root of my current issues. I had both my elites set to "no tuners". Since I bought from TiVo the minis were already on my account, and both TiVos did complete a call earlier today. I switched the setting to "1 tuner" on one of them a couple hours ago but it hasn't completed a call since then.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #98
aaronwt
HD Addict

I set up my second Mini tonight. I did the same thing as my first one. I activated it online and then had all my Premieres make a connection to TiVo. When the Mini booted and I went through the setup I could see my two Elites and my Premiere. Total time was no more than 15 minutes.

Although this time, after it was setup, I had it connect again to download the update and then rebooted to install the update right away.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #99
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_j_derr View Post
At this point I'm going to leave it overnight but I'll try a reboot in the AM if it's still not working.

BTW, I saw some speculation it was possible to set up a mini without dedicating a tuner at all, but from the documentation that doesn't seem to be true; I suspect that may be the root of my current issues. I had both my elites set to "no tuners". Since I bought from TiVo the minis were already on my account, and both TiVos did complete a call earlier today. I switched the setting to "1 tuner" on one of them a couple hours ago but it hasn't completed a call since then.
The TiVo does not need to complete a call after activating a tuner. It just needs to phone home to see that the Minis are on the account and vice versa.

I would recommend trying to rename one of your Elites, then have it re-phone home, then reboot the Minis. That's what finally did the trick for me on my first Mini after things got badly hosed during the activation process.

You do have the option not to use a tuner. When my first Mini finally activated it simply told me to go to my elite and enable 1 tuner if I wanted access to live TV from the Mini, it would have been perfectly happy if I had not done this.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:29 PM   #100
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thanks - good to hear the tuner isn't the problem. Forcing a call is taking forever (2+ hours and it's at 84%) for some reason. I ran speedtest from that room and got ~25Mbit up and down so it's certainly not a network problem. But, I fear even when it completes it's not going to work since it did a call <12hr ago and the minis were likely on my account before that (I didn't check, but the second mini which is still in the box is listed as active so connecting it is not a prerequisite).
Old 03-16-2013, 12:32 AM   #101
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Call finished finally, rebooted the mini, same state. I'll try rebooting/renaming the XL4s in the morning.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:53 AM   #102
teklock

Quote:
Call finished finally, rebooted the mini, same state. I'll try rebooting/renaming the XL4s in the morning.
Rename your XL4 to something else and reboot.
teklock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #103
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I renamed the XL4 (from the unit), rebooted it, and forced a call (actually it did that itself after the reboot, which took ~3 min this time instead of ~3 hr, then I forced another call just to be sure).

Mini sees the new name (even before I rebooted it), but still greyed out/red slash... Argh! Guess it's time to call TiVo.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #104
jmpage2

The V70 error refers to the Mini not being on the same account as the XL4, so I'd start there. Maybe when they shipped you the units they put in the wrong TSNs for the Minis on your account.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #105
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah, I just double checked that and they are all on the account and correct. Also checked the units themselves to make sure it wasn't a misprint on the box.

I'm trying mini #2 now, we'll see...

(Edit: I also re-checked video sharing + download boxes are checked, which was the first thing I did last night.)
Old 03-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #106
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
No luck - same situation on this mini. Hope TiVo support is open on the weekend.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #107
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Well, wasted another hour of my life with support only to have them blame my network. To humor them I plugged the mini and one of the tivos directly into my router and rebooted everything, no change.

At one point he says "The "successful" connections currently that have been made were made 48 hours ago, any connections since have been ping connections that have not completed." I asked him 3 times whether there was any way for me to tell the difference between the two, and he ignored my question every time. I tried his suggested remedy ("Test Internet Connection" followed by "Connect to the Tivo Service Now"), which succeeded. Then he claims "The updated test connection will not be able to be displayed on this end until the systems update within the next two hour window.". Eventually he took advantage of me being away from the keyboard for a couple minutes to screw around with things to just disconnect the chat.

Not very happy at this point, and 3-4 hours of my time down the drain so far... I guess I will try phone support this time.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #108
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Wow, the guy I got on phone support was 1000x better than the guy I had on chat. We went through the same preliminaries again, but he gave me a lot more detail about what he was looking at, and when he couldn't determine the problem he put me on hold to escalate instead of trying to pin it on me.

I didn't press him for too much detail, but he was reading through a list of "group permissions" for the devices that seemed to be related to subscription, streaming, etc. He thought everything looked correct there, but after he got back from hold he said the part he didn't notice initially was that the permissions were not yet effective and they may take 24-48 hours to propagate. It wasn't clear to me what initiated the process (Tivo dialing in, or GS on the mini, or if it was manually done by the prior support guy), but anyways... he was very apologetic about it and said there wasn't anything I could do but wait. so, not the answer I wanted to hear but way better than the "must be your fault because everything is fine on our end" crap I got from the other guy.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #109
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
BTW, while I was messing around on the XL4 I did notice something I'd never seen before. If you go to Settings->Help->Multiple TiVo Boxes->Streaming Between TiVo Boxes->Multi-room advanced help (how's that for being buried?) there's a list of other boxes on your network.

So, at least that gave me some confirmation the Tivo could see the Mini, and it does give some details like IP address, S/W Version, and Tivo service # - there's no way to see that information on the mini itself when you're stuck in GS. So at least I could validate the IP address and S/N - I was starting to wonder if the S/N stamped on the unit was incorrect or something.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #110
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
BTW, while I was messing around on the XL4 I did notice something I'd never seen before. If you go to Settings->Help->Multiple TiVo Boxes->Streaming Between TiVo Boxes->Multi-room advanced help (how's that for being buried?) there's a list of other boxes on your network.

So, at least that gave me some confirmation the Tivo could see the Mini, and it does give some details like IP address, S/W Version, and Tivo service # - there's no way to see that information on the mini itself when you're stuck in GS. So at least I could validate the IP address and S/N - I was starting to wonder if the S/N stamped on the unit was incorrect or something.
I've never seen that page before. I just looked at it and what's weird is that it's showing a MoCA connection between both of my Elite boxes. But MoCA is also supposed to be turned off on both boxes.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #111
jmpage2

Quote:
Wow, the guy I got on phone support was 1000x better than the guy I had on chat. We went through the same preliminaries again, but he gave me a lot more detail about what he was looking at, and when he couldn't determine the problem he put me on hold to escalate instead of trying to pin it on me.

I didn't press him for too much detail, but he was reading through a list of "group permissions" for the devices that seemed to be related to subscription, streaming, etc. He thought everything looked correct there, but after he got back from hold he said the part he didn't notice initially was that the permissions were not yet effective and they may take 24-48 hours to propagate. It wasn't clear to me what initiated the process (Tivo dialing in, or GS on the mini, or if it was manually done by the prior support guy), but anyways... he was very apologetic about it and said there wasn't anything I could do but wait. so, not the answer I wanted to hear but way better than the "must be your fault because everything is fine on our end" crap I got from the other guy.
I'm not sure if I buy that. It's been days since your boxes were ordered so the permissions should have been good from the start.

Both my Best Buy purchased unit and the one I ordered directly from TiVo did not have to wait 24-48 hours to work.

Definitely to me it sounds like they screwed something up with those boxes when they added them to your account. To prove that's the case I would buy a TiVo Mini at a local Best Buy (assuming you can do that) and then add it to your account and see if it works. If it does then it proves that TiVo messed up when they added their Minis to the account.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #112
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yeah, I'm certainly suspicious about the explanation given people buying these things at BB don't seem to have this delay. But I was overjoyed by the support guy admitting the problem was on their end instead of saying "sorry, you must have screwed up, can't help you" - and he was so nice about it I was willing to let it slide and see what happens.

That being said, it's still not working
Old 03-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #113
Loach

Quote:
Yeah, I'm certainly suspicious about the explanation given people buying these things at BB don't seem to have this delay. But I was overjoyed by the support guy admitting the problem was on their end instead of saying "sorry, you must have screwed up, can't help you" - and he was so nice about it I was willing to let it slide and see what happens.

That being said, it's still not working
Yeah, I think they somehow royally hosed up your account. I set up my Mini today (ordered directly from Tivo) and it was easy as pie. Took about 1/2 hour and everything is working properly.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #114
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I've never seen that page before. I just looked at it and what's weird is that it's showing a MoCA connection between both of my Elite boxes. But MoCA is also supposed to be turned off on both boxes.
I had never seen that before either,

Looking at my Elite from my Premiere, it also says it is connected via MoCA, I don't even have a MoCA network, I'm using wired Ethernet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #115
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I had never seen that before either,

Looking at my Elite from my Premiere, it also says it is connected via MoCA, I don't even have a MoCA network, I'm using wired Ethernet.
I checked mine again by pulling the Ethernet cable on my Elite and the Elite did not continue communicating with the Mini. So I have no idea why it shows it being connected over MoCA.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #116
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

So aaron, does the Mini work with only a 2-tuner on the network or not?
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #117
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
One of the few remaining questions I haven't seen answered...
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #118
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I checked mine again by pulling the Ethernet cable on my Elite and the Elite did not continue communicating with the Mini. So I have no idea why it shows it being connected over MoCA.

I looked at mine and it also say connected via MoCA. I don't have a Mini yet, don't have any external MoCA adapters, and am not using MoCA for ethernet. I think it is just wrong wording on TiVo's part. They probably meant MoCA capable.
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #119
overFEDEXed

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
One of the few remaining questions I haven't seen answered...
I have my Mini connected via MoCa and it works great. When I disconnect the Elite from the network, here are the messages, that I get. My Two-tuner Premiere is on ethernet, not MoCa. So no connection for the Mini, of course.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

When I plug the Mini up with the Ethernet, with the Host Elite still unplugged from earlier, it does access and play shows from my two-tuner Premiere.

I don't know for how long, this would work. I thought that I read somewhere, that if the mothership (Elite) didn't "Call in", the Mini might not function the same after that time period.

UPDATE;

I had the Mini "Call in". Now it WILL NOT let me play shows off of the Two-tuner Premiere. I will have to repeat this test later, but I swear it worked before I called back in.

Last edited by overFEDEXed : 03-17-2013 at 03:22 PM.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #120
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
I never got around to checking since I had a bunch of recordings going on from both my Elites. I'll try just disconnecting the Ethernet connection from both my Elite and rebooting one of my Minis to see what happens. I had tried it before without booting the Mini and that had worked fine for ten minutes accessing my OTA Premiere, but I never rebooted the Mini.