TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
redbeard25

Red face So, no one in this forum is complaining about having a subscription on a Tivo mini?

It didn't occur to me until I set it up and it downloaded data...

I bet there's something in Tivo's agreement with Tribune that makes them pay on a per device basis. So, they couldn't download the data to the Premiere and just "echo" it on the mini, although that would make total sense. I bet the mini looks and says, "hey, where am I?" and then downloads its own data. Because Tivo's paying per device, you pay too.

Of course, it could be like having an iPod touch and having to pay for upgrades because your accountant told you you had to...

Former:
Premiere Elite LT + 1TB exp
TivoHD (upg to 1TB) LT
Stock TivoHD M2M
S2ST LT
S2DT 200GB
S2ST 200GB
Philips S1 (original 14hr version)
redbeard25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Gadfly

Because just about all of us assume this costs $250 and that's that.

I seriously doubt anybody posting on this forum is interested in mini will go the path of monthly subscription but I may be projecting my take upon others!
Gadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
atmuscarella

It has been beat to death in several threads. Just consider the price to be $250 when you evaluate if it is worth it to you or not and forget about how TiVo bills it out.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
bdraw

Most long time TiVo fans would only complain if there wasn't a lifetime option. The $6 a month is for people who can't do math.
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
mattack

Gee, it's not like there haven't been a ZILLION threads complaining about this.. (BTW, I'm only being slightly sarcastic, and am NOT trying to be rude..)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

I'm just happy I can go down to the FiOS store this weekend and turn in a cable card. Then I will be paying FiOS $3.99 less each month and be down to two cable cards. If/when the six tuner TiVo is released, I'll finally be able to get down to one cable card.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post
Most long time TiVo fans would only complain if there wasn't a lifetime option. The $6 a month is for people who can't do math.
+1.

Each Mini cost me $250. I would have preferred $149, but oh well.

Saving a bonus outlet fee, a CableCARD rental and the added potential cost of another Premiere makes the Mini a no-brainer to extend TiVo into locations that are lightly used for TV viewing.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:52 PM   #8
jano18

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I'm just happy I can go down to the FiOS store this weekend and turn in a cable card. Then I will be paying FiOS $3.99 less each month and be down to two cable cards. If/when the six tuner TiVo is released, I'll finally be able to get down to one cable card.
+1

I am turning in my cable card tomorrow & saving $7.45 a month from Comcast ($9.95 -$2.50). Now I won't be paying them anything at all for any equipment or outlet fees. I couldn't be happier until the dynamic tuner support update is released.
jano18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:16 AM   #9
overFEDEXed

Quote:
I would have saved $6 a month, turning in my card for my HD. Since I downgraded to the Cox "Economy" package, my tv bill went down to $35 a month, including the cards. The gateway fees of $13, were also removed, so...I will still save $2 a month.

Of course I will sell the HD with Lifetime. ($250 to $300) One thing that I will miss with this HD box, the fast Netflix load times.

Last edited by overFEDEXed : 03-15-2013 at 06:37 AM.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:47 AM   #10
Leon WIlkinson
TiVo Gone Wild

Quote:
Yeah, a 6 tuner and a 4Tb drive would be like 3 premiers.

On monthly TiVo subs you would save $14 a month by using 2 minis instead of premieres

When you upgrade to the newest TiVo box,you only need 1, unless it's a mini upgrade. Wonder if the mini could get added functions by a new TiVo Series box upgrade?
Old 03-15-2013, 07:10 AM   #11
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

I never even considered a monthly option on the Mini. Just the PLS. I can understand paying the monthly fee on a DVR because of concerns over how long it will last and how often you may want to upgrade it, but on a Mini, that has no moving parts? No way. Make sure it's connected to a surge protector at all times (a battery back-up would be better so voltage is constantly regulated), and enjoy it for quite a long time. With a 25-month break-even, the deck is stacked in your favor.

Still, I would have been happier with a $200 price tag with PLS, but that $249 was definitely at my threshold of what I was willing to spend without regretting just getting another DVR.
TiVo HDXL TCD658000
TiVo HD TCD652160 + WD 500GB Expander
Retired: Philips Series 1 HDR212 & TiVo Series 2 540080
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
+1.

Each Mini cost me $250. I would have preferred $149, but oh well.

Saving a bonus outlet fee, a CableCARD rental and the added potential cost of another Premiere makes the Mini a no-brainer to extend TiVo into locations that are lightly used for TV viewing.
You're probably also saving a few bucks a month on electricity. The Mini almost uses zero. A series 3 uses 35-40 and most cable company boxes use at least 10.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote