TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-20-2013, 11:42 PM   #1231
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I don't understand why a drive for a 750500 wouldn't work in a 758250. AFAIK, the only difference other than drive size is THX certification. Maybe he just hasn't tested it and doesn't want to guarantee anything.
Perhaps the same reason that in the long run a 658 drive won't work out in a 652 and vice versa.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:40 AM   #1232
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Perhaps the same reason that in the long run a 658 drive won't work out in a 652 and vice versa.
I guess the s/w gets confused by the difference in the model number indicated by the s/w version and the one indicated by the TSN?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:19 AM   #1233
ggieseke

You could try a 750 drive and immediately run kickstart 52 to force a software reinstall. That has worked for others to convert a 746 to a 748.
ggieseke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #1234
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
You could try a 750 drive and immediately run kickstart 52 to force a software reinstall. That has worked for others to convert a 746 to a 748.
I tried that and seem to work until the TiVo stopped getting new guide data, will get the data on the first call after the setup, that all.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #1235
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I tried that and seem to work until the TiVo stopped getting new guide data, will get the data on the first call after the setup, that all.
When you did that procedure, under settings, did it show the correct serial number and activation information for that TiVo?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #1236
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
When you did that procedure, under settings, did it show the correct serial number and activation information for that TiVo?

Yes, it had Lifetime Service under SI and the correct TSN.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #1237
jmbach

Interesting. Have not experienced that but I am working with 746 image on a 748. That one I used kickstart portal 52 and then JMFS to expand. Have not had a problem with guide running out. Maybe mine or yours is a fluke. I have just tried another experiment with a virgin 746 image. I placed the drive in my 748 and did not do any kickstart but let it just do what it wanted. After going through guided setup, update, reboot, guided setup, cd&e (serial number was all zeros), and repeat guided setup. All seems working. Can force a connection and it appears to download and update. Will see what happens with time.

Last edited by jmbach : 02-21-2013 at 05:57 PM.
jmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #1238
Wammer

I have two Premiere units that I've upgraded to 2TB drives. I still have the original 320GB drives from them. The HD on another of my TiVos, an S3 TCD848250B appears to have failed as I'm stuck on the 'Almost There' screen. I'm thinking of using one of the old Premiere 320GB drives as a replacement since I have two. I see Unitron has posted a link to the image I need. Do I need to format the Premiere drive prior to putting the S3 image on it or is that part of the MSF Live process? Any reason why this wouldn't work? Thanks.
Wammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #1239
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wammer View Post
I have two Premiere units that I've upgraded to 2TB drives. I still have the original 320GB drives from them. The HD on another of my TiVos, an S3 TCD848250B appears to have failed as I'm stuck on the 'Almost There' screen. I'm thinking of using one of the old Premiere 320GB drives as a replacement since I have two. I see Unitron has posted a link to the image I need. Do I need to format the Premiere drive prior to putting the S3 image on it or is that part of the MSF Live process? Any reason why this wouldn't work? Thanks.
Anything on that drive will be overwritten, whether you want it to be or not.

But before you do that, open up that 648 and take a look at the power supply caps.

And take the drive out and run the manufacturer's diagnostic long test on it.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #1240
Wammer

Quote:
Anything on that drive will be overwritten, whether you want it to be or not.

But before you do that, open up that 648 and take a look at the power supply caps.

And take the drive out and run the manufacturer's diagnostic long test on it.
Will the long test simply tell me if the drive is bad or can it do any kind of repair? If the capacitors aren't bulging I will assume the HD is the issue. I'm running the kickstart 54 SMART tests right now. This unit has PLS so I need to resurrect it.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #1241
unitron

Quote:
Will the long test simply tell me if the drive is bad or can it do any kind of repair? If the capacitors aren't bulging I will assume the HD is the issue. I'm running the kickstart 54 SMART tests right now. This unit has PLS so I need to resurrect it.
In a worst case scenario a 648's crypto chip can be moved to another 648 motherboard, taking the TSN (to which PLS and your recordings are tied) with it.

(which is not true for any newer models)

If you have access to a voltmeter, it wouldn't hurt to check the output of the power supply since caps can be bad without visible signs.

If the drive maker's long test finds bad sectors, it can, at least WD's can, and I think Seagate's as well, do some reallocating, as every drive has some "spares" set aside just for that possibility.

But I wouldn't think of that as a long term solution but rather a short term until you can buy another one.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #1242
Wammer

Thanks Unitron. That's interesting. I never heard you could move the crypto chip on this model. That sounds out of my league. The funny thing is that this TiVo has worked flawlessly for over 5 years and now I decided to upgrade to another Premiere. I listed this S3 on Craigslist to sell it. When I ran the 'Clear and Delete Everything' on it to get my stuff off it never came back up. Stuck at 'Almost there..." I'm glad it did it now though rather than after my buyer took it home and was quickly disappointed

I checked the capacitors and it looks like the large one in the group of 5 is bulging. I've seen pictures others have posted with this same capacitor bulging. I have another S3 that I could swap power supplies with and see if that corrects the problem.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #1243
unitron

Quote:
Thanks Unitron. That's interesting. I never heard you could move the crypto chip on this model. That sounds out of my league. The funny thing is that this TiVo has worked flawlessly for over 5 years and now I decided to upgrade to another Premiere. I listed this S3 on Craigslist to sell it. When I ran the 'Clear and Delete Everything' on it to get my stuff off it never came back up. Stuck at 'Almost there..." I'm glad it did it now though rather than after my buyer took it home and was quickly disappointed

I checked the capacitors and it looks like the large one in the group of 5 is bulging. I've seen pictures others have posted with this same capacitor bulging. I have another S3 that I could swap power supplies with and see if that corrects the problem.
You can swap in a power supply, but only from another TCD648250, just watch out for the little screw above the AC jack that enters from the back panel.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #1244
Wammer

Quote:
You can swap in a power supply, but only from another TCD648250, just watch out for the little screw above the AC jack that enters from the back panel.
I swapped in a power supply from my other working TCD64850 which didn't have any bulging capacitors and I'm still stuck at the 'Almost There...' screen. I guess that means the hard drive needs to be replaced. Could a weak power supply cause a problem on the hard drive when I performed the Clear and Delete Everything?

My next step is to copy the working HD from my extra S3 to the old premiere drive. Can I do that with my JMFS Live Cd or do I need to use winMFS?
Old 02-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #1245
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
I swapped in a power supply from my other working TCD64850 which didn't have any bulging capacitors and I'm still stuck at the 'Almost There...' screen. I guess that means the hard drive needs to be replaced. Could a weak power supply cause a problem on the hard drive when I performed the Clear and Delete Everything?

My next step is to copy the working HD from my extra S3 to the old premiere drive. Can I do that with my JMFS Live Cd or do I need to use winMFS?
The power supply may have contributed to the hard drive corruption. Before trashing the hard drive, I'd take it out and run the manufacturer's long drive test on it. If it tests ok, then just reimage it.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #1246
Wammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
The power supply may have contributed to the hard drive corruption. Before trashing the hard drive, I'd take it out and run the manufacturer's long drive test on it. If it tests ok, then just reimage it.
I've downloaded MSF Live 1.4 and burned it to a DVD. When I boot from the CD the GUI interface doesn't come up, it just leaves me at a # prompt. Is this a Windows 7 run as admin issue or do I need to do something else to get to the menus? Thanks.

EDIT: I used winmfs to restore from Unitron's .tbk file onto my original S3 drive and it worked. I'm running the Clear and Delete Everything again and hope it comes back up this time!

Last edited by Wammer : 02-23-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #1247
jmbach

Still would run the manufacturer diagnostics on the drive. Could have developed a bad sector in a critical area in the initial OS and got remapped causing loss of information. The cd&e did not do anything. Would have probably happened if you just rebooted the system. Once the OS loads in memory, the core functions do not have to be reloaded until a reboot. Some functions are swapped to the swap partition dynamically. If the swap partition is good, that won't affect anything. So a good diagnostic is in order.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #1248
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Still would run the manufacturer diagnostics on the drive. Could have developed a bad sector in a critical area in the initial OS and got remapped causing loss of information. The cd&e did not do anything. Would have probably happened if you just rebooted the system. Once the OS loads in memory, the core functions do not have to be reloaded until a reboot. Some functions are swapped to the swap partition dynamically. If the swap partition is good, that won't affect anything. So a good diagnostic is in order.

I just had a WD drive that was giving trouble in a friend TiVo, ran the newest extended WD diag and after an overnight run the drive passed, then using the same WD program I tried to write 0 to the drive and I got a fail code, sent it back for warranty replacement. Just saying the full WD diagnosis test is, by itself, not foolproof in finding a bad drive.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #1249
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
I've downloaded MSF Live 1.4 and burned it to a DVD. When I boot from the CD the GUI interface doesn't come up, it just leaves me at a # prompt. Is this a Windows 7 run as admin issue or do I need to do something else to get to the menus?
GUI interface? Windows 7? MFS Live boots into Linux..
Old 02-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #1250
unitron

Quote:
I've downloaded MSF Live 1.4 and burned it to a DVD. When I boot from the CD the GUI interface doesn't come up, it just leaves me at a # prompt. Is this a Windows 7 run as admin issue or do I need to do something else to get to the menus? Thanks.

EDIT: I used winmfs to restore from Unitron's .tbk file onto my original S3 drive and it worked. I'm running the Clear and Delete Everything again and hope it comes back up this time!
The "graphical'' interface on the MFS Live cd is not clickalble icons, it's pictures of better looking letters than you get letting your graphics card generate the characters.

Boot it in non graphics mode one time and you'll understand.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #1251
UnknownDan

I'm looking for a TCD 652160 image.
Thanks in advance!

Dan
UnknownDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #1252
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownDan View Post
I'm looking for a TCD 652160 image.
Thanks in advance!

Dan
If you had clicked at the top where it says "Search this Thread" and put in TCD652160 instead of TCD 652160 (since there's no space in the actual model number), at the bottom of the first page you'd have found this:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...01#post8831301

Old 03-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #1253
UnknownDan

Excellent, thanks!

Quote:
If you had clicked at the top where it says "Search this Thread" and put in TCD652160 instead of TCD 652160 (since there's no space in the actual model number), at the bottom of the first page you'd have found this:

UnknownDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #1254
VeloceDesign

Hi all. Newbie to the forum. Im searching for a Humax T800 image but it appears that I cannot PM or receive PM's due to being a newbie. Any help anyone can provide? Suggestions? I know about InstantCake. Would prefer a tbk file. Thanks all!
VeloceDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #1255
986crazy

HELP! I need an image for a TCD540080. Thanks for your help!
986crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #1256
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986crazy View Post
HELP! I need an image for a TCD540080. Thanks for your help!
Does it absolutely have to be for the 80GB version of the 540?

'Cause I've got one for the Maxtor fatter than the other brands LBA number 40GB 540.

Well, actually, I've got two, one for MFS Live and one for WinMFS.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #1257
986crazy

Actually, I have a blank 120gb Maxtor I need to image. The 80gb died and I had this drive laying around, known to be good that I want to put in.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #1258
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986crazy View Post
Actually, I have a blank 120gb Maxtor I need to image. The 80gb died and I had this drive laying around, known to be good that I want to put in.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...85#post9160085

And if you don't already have a free DropBox account (not needed for downloads), and you get one via an invite from me, we both get free extra space.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #1259
986crazy

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #1260
Ebuddy

TCD746320 Image

I would have made a backup, but the Premiere I just bought off of Craigslist had a bad drive.

I would sincerely appreciate it if anyone had an image they could spare... ;-)
Ebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote