TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #31
Ruby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 25
Thanks, I was aware of that workaround and I have a Tivo Stream that works that way. I was hoping this was another option while waiting for dynamic allocation.

Still deciding whether to take the plunge.
Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #32
Ruby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 25
Dan,

FYI, I just installed a Mini without LiveTV. It's only been a few minutes but I'm satisfied.
Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #33
bdraw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 456
The work around is great as long as you don't like to channel surf, and what TiVo user does?
__________________
How good can it be, if it isn't HD?
Ben Drawbaugh
Engadget HD
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #34
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 24,492
A lot more then you'd think. I think TiVo had a stat that said more then 50% of their users still regularly watch live TV. I just want to tell them all... "You're doing that wrong".
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #35
jmpage2
Registered User
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post
The work around is great as long as you don't like to channel surf, and what TiVo user does?
My wife likes to watch live TV all the time, so if the Mini couldn't pull a tuner it would be a deal breaker in my household. I on the other hand only watch news live, everything else I watch recorded.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #36
Bigg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hartford- New Haven CT
Posts: 3,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post
The work around is great as long as you don't like to channel surf, and what TiVo user does?
Live news. Maybe live sports, although if you're really watching them, you'd be on the main TV with surround sound, a screen the size of Texas, and a Premiere.
__________________
My Place: Premiere XL4 Lifetime 3/26/13 XFinity
3 TiVo Mini's on MoCA
Formerly Win MCE 3TB Ceton4 XFinity
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:23 AM   #37
CoxInPHX
COX Communications
 
CoxInPHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,338
Since it seems the 2 tuner Premieres may never be able to act as a host DVR for the Mini, does that also mean that when dynamic tuner allocation is released that the 2 tuners will also not be in the available pool of tuners for the Mini?

For those with multiple Premieres it would seem logical to put all available tuners onto the network for Live TV.

Is having all tuners on the network possible on the current Premiere hardware? not just those of the Host DVR.

In my case I would rather pull a Live TV tuner from one of my regular Premieres, than use one off the Elite/XL4. The same would apply for someone using OTA on a 2 tuner.
__________________
Roamio Pro, XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, & Mini, 20.4.2, w/ Cisco SDV TA, FW F.1601, Cisco CC FW PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1301

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:15 AM   #38
sbiller
Registered User
 
sbiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Since it seems the 2 tuner Premieres may never be able to act as a host DVR for the Mini, does that also mean that when dynamic tuner allocation is released that the 2 tuners will also not be in the available pool of tuners for the Mini?
I believe the answer is yes, the base Premiere tuners will not be in the available pool of tuners for the Mini. Thinking about DTA some more, I'm wondering if DTA will be sophisticated enough to know that there are multiple host-DVRs available on the network or if a user would still be required to assign a host-DVR to the Mini. I suspect the latter but hope for the former.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:45 AM   #39
overFEDEXed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Centerville, Georgia
Posts: 219
Stocked up on two-tuner Premiere's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
I believe the answer is yes, the base Premiere tuners will not be in the available pool of tuners for the Mini. Thinking about DTA some more, I'm wondering if DTA will be sophisticated enough to know that there are multiple host-DVRs available on the network or if a user would still be required to assign a host-DVR to the Mini. I suspect the latter but hope for the former.
I have three Two-tuner Premiere's, just sitting in their boxes, new. I picked them up cheap and thought about selling them. If this is true, oh well.

Maybe these units will be eligible for the $150 or $99 Lifetime soon, or at least the $6.95 plan. Tivo did let me do one transfer of the $6.95 plan, from an HD to a Premiere. At least they still have OTA, built-in.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #40
Bigg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hartford- New Haven CT
Posts: 3,372
I don't think there are plans to ever have cross-DVR DTA, it's only within one DVR, and a Mini will always be paired to that DVR only. It can stream content from other Premieres, but not live TV.
__________________
My Place: Premiere XL4 Lifetime 3/26/13 XFinity
3 TiVo Mini's on MoCA
Formerly Win MCE 3TB Ceton4 XFinity
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #41
jmpage2
Registered User
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,883
I agree, they have to prioritize development and get the most bang for their buck. I think they are absolutely moving towards a single DVR centric solution which will benefit most users even if it's an annoyance to some.

First thing they need to do is get the XL4 even lower price-wise and then release a six tuner unit with faster CPU.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #42
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 24,492
I agree. A Mini will always be paired to a specific host and only be able to pull a tuner from that host. I also think that once DTA is working you will still be limited to allocating just 2 tuners to network streaming. The reason being is that leaves 1 tuner for local live viewing on the host and 1 tuner for recording. That seems to be the minimum experience TiVo expects. (i.e. watch one thing while recording another) Once we get a 6 tuner then that will likely have the ability to allocate 3-4 tuners to the network if you so desire.
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #43
bdraw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Live news. Maybe live sports, although if you're really watching them, you'd be on the main TV with surround sound, a screen the size of Texas, and a Premiere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
My wife likes to watch live TV all the time, so if the Mini couldn't pull a tuner it would be a deal breaker in my household. I on the other hand only watch news live, everything else I watch recorded.
I said if you like to channel surf. I watch sports and news live as well. But I record everything I like to watch, including the stuff I plan to watch live -- never know if something comes up. For news shows, I just set them to only keep two episodes. With four live tuners, you could easily record your four favorite news shows channels and switch between them and still watch 'live".
__________________
How good can it be, if it isn't HD?
Ben Drawbaugh
Engadget HD
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #44
Ruby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 25
Has anyone tried allocating a tuner; using it with the Mini for a while and then deallocating it? That is, could I put my XL4 back the way it was?

Sorry if this has been answered previously, I couldn't find it.
Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #45
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 9,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
Has anyone tried allocating a tuner; using it with the Mini for a while and then deallocating it? That is, could I put my XL4 back the way it was?

Sorry if this has been answered previously, I couldn't find it.
Yes, you can do that. Only catch is any recordings currently happening on host 4 tuner unit will be cancelled, so you have to choose a time when nothing important is recording to do it.
__________________
Roamio Pro (GigE)
Elite (MoCA)
Premiere (MoCA adapter)
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #46
Ruby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 25
Thanks, that caveat is very good to know or I could end up with a very upset wife!
Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #47
Gadfly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
TiVo must have some data suggesting that a good percentage of their customers still watch live TV, otherwise I'm not sure why they would focus so much attention on that capability.

Honestly if I had a Mini I would dedicate 0 tuners to live TV and use it for streaming only. I've watched live TV maybe once in the last 2 years and that was breaking news. If there really was something like that going on I could just move to the other TV or use the Mini to setup a recording of the news channel and then stream that recording. I have no need to watch real live TV on a Mini, or any TiVo really.
Same here except I just found out I need to allocate a tuner for live TV if I want to watch Xfinity on-demand on my Mini. I was hoping this works like YouTube but that isn't the case.
Gadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #48
Bigg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hartford- New Haven CT
Posts: 3,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw View Post
I said if you like to channel surf. I watch sports and news live as well. But I record everything I like to watch, including the stuff I plan to watch live -- never know if something comes up. For news shows, I just set them to only keep two episodes. With four live tuners, you could easily record your four favorite news shows channels and switch between them and still watch 'live".
True, it's a reasonable workaround to just schedule things to record, although it might be a pain if you forgot have to go in and record, and then play that back.
__________________
My Place: Premiere XL4 Lifetime 3/26/13 XFinity
3 TiVo Mini's on MoCA
Formerly Win MCE 3TB Ceton4 XFinity
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #49
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 24,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
Same here except I just found out I need to allocate a tuner for live TV if I want to watch Xfinity on-demand on my Mini. I was hoping this works like YouTube but that isn't the case.
I forgot about Xfinity. Someone just explained to me how that works and that it actually uses a tuner on the TiVo. I had always assumed it was completely IP based since it's available on XBox, which doesn't have a tuner. However apparently on TiVo it actually works more like traditional VOD just with communication going over the internet rather then up the line like it does with a regular box.

We're on Charter here so I don't even have the option to use VOD.
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #50
Bigg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hartford- New Haven CT
Posts: 3,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I forgot about Xfinity. Someone just explained to me how that works and that it actually uses a tuner on the TiVo. I had always assumed it was completely IP based since it's available on XBox, which doesn't have a tuner. However apparently on TiVo it actually works more like traditional VOD just with communication going over the internet rather then up the line like it does with a regular box.

We're on Charter here so I don't even have the option to use VOD.
Yup. It's literally regular VOD with a little bit of bridge code written to do the commands over IP. Comcast's IP-VOD is a subset of their regular VOD selection, and is available online on their website.
__________________
My Place: Premiere XL4 Lifetime 3/26/13 XFinity
3 TiVo Mini's on MoCA
Formerly Win MCE 3TB Ceton4 XFinity
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |