TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
Zenmaster2013

TiVo & FIOS - What to expect?

I am moving in a week and just purchased my first TiVo. I bought the tivo premiere and a lifetime subscription. In my new house I have already scheduled an appointment to have FIOS Internet and TV setup. I know that TiVo works with FIOS but I’m confused on a few things.

1. The TiVo needs to be connected to the internet so when the FIOS guys come to install will they be able to hook up my TiVo? I’m confused on the whole router situation with FIOS. It sounds like you do not get a standard wireless router with Ethernet ports. I’m worried that they will activate my FIOS then say thanks and leave since I have TiVo and will only be renting a cable card from them. Do I need to do wireless or something or bridge to my Time Capsule (see below)?

2. I have an apple time capsule that I’d like to use. I don’t necessarily need it to act as a wireless router but I need it to backup my iMac. How do I hook it up to backup my iMac? And is it possible to bridge it to the FIOS router? I’m thinking the Time Capsule may give me better wireless speeds than the FIOS router. I’m not extremely tech savy but I can make my way around.

I realize this could have went on a FIOS forum but I trust this forum may be able to provide answers.
Thanks guys, really looking forward to TiVo!
Zenmaster2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
mr.unnatural

Verizon will install your ONT (optical network terminal) and the connections required to interface with your phone, internet and TV. They will also install the cablecard for the Tivo. They may run the ethernet cable for the Tivo but I can't say for sure since mine was already installed prior to getting FIOS. They will run the coax for any TVs you want to connect to FIOS as well as your Tivo.

Verizon provides a wireless router that connects via coax to provide guide data for any set top boxes you are using. The coax from the ONT will connect to a splitter where it's distributed to your TVs and will also connect to the router. The router has RJ-45 ports so you can connect standard ethernet cables. There is an RJ-45 jack on the ONT, but it's disabled by default. Ask the Verizon tech to enable it so you can use it to connect to your router.

I'm not sure how an Apple Time Capsule works so you'll probably need to ask about that elsewhere. Just know that it is possible to use your own router in conjunction with the Verizon wireless router. If your router is also wireless then you'll need to turn off the wireless function on the Verizon router using the web interface. I have my own router connected to the internet with the Verizon router's WAN port connected to one of the LAN ports on my router. Just make sure they don't use the same default gateway for both routers and there should be no conflicts (i.e., the default IP address used by each router).

If you have any Verizon set top boxes you will need to make sure the coax connection remains intact on the Verizon router so it can distribute guide data to the boxes. Your Tivo will get guide data over the internet on it's own. Make sure everything else on your home network is connected to your router and not the Verizon router since they will essentially isolated from each other. Each router should assign IP addresses via DHCP based on the default gateway of the router.

Note that anytime you swap out your router you need to release the DHCP lease that currently exists with the router. Connect to your router via the web interface and click on the option to release the lease. Once it's been released, disconnect the old router and install the new one. The new router will pick up the lease and you'll be up and running in short order.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

TiVo and FiOS are like peanut butter and jelly.

Like bacon and cheese.
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
ShayL

I think the time capsule is a access point and possibly a router. I am not sure about the router part. If it is then you should read this for the different router configurations for fios: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077. FIOS's router has MOCA built in which gives you ethernet connectivity via the coax. It is nice.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
True Colors

I have had Verizon FIOS for about 2 years now. It works extremely well with Tivo.

FIOS does provide a router to you that has physical ports(about 5) and it is also wireless capable as well.

The FIOS technician will install your internet and he will also program the cable card in your Tivo. Tell him to install the internet service BEFORE doing the cable card.

Once the internet is active then you can immediately connect the Tivo to the internet and it will take you through the guided setup. You will reach a point where it tells you to insert a cable card and program it. That is where the FIOS technician comes in. Make sure that the cable card he gives you is a "M" card.

I do not know anything about the time capsule, but based on what you said, it does not sound like there would be any problem with that at all.

TC

Last edited by True Colors : 03-14-2013 at 12:46 PM.
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
MrDell

I Have Verizon Fios with a Tivo Premier and have been extremely pleased with how they "get along". The picture is crystal clear and every channel tunes in perfectly.
MrDell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
sevenx7

You should go into airport utility on the time capsule and set the Time capsule to "Bridge mode."
If you do not do this then the FIOS router and the Time Capsule Are going to give you a double NAT and cause issues for you. Best thing to do is Set the Time capsule to Bridge mode and let the Actiontech do the routing.
Theres ways to do the opposite buts its time consuming and unless you play a lot of Xbox live like me I'm not sure how much it will effect you.
What i WOULD do is shut off the Wireless on the actiontech router and have your Time capsule be your wireless access point. If its a newer one you can run it dual band.
Aslo your time capsule is just a Airport Extreme with a Hard drive in it.
sevenx7 is offline   Reply With Quote