TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #61
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Well if you want to get nit-picky, if you watch ANYTHING through a Tivo, you are NOT watching "live" TV.
You are watching a TV signal that has been written to and then retrieved from a hard drive.
Even though the delay is only a couple of seconds, by definition it is NOT "live" TV.

Well, if you really want to get even pickier, when you watch the same signal broadcast on both an analog display next to a digital flat screen, one of them will be delayed by a couple of seconds. I play pool in a league two nights a week in a local sports bar and they have a mix of both analog CRT displays as well as digital flat screens. There's always a delay between the two types of displays, but I can't recall which one lags behind the other. The source of the signals is DirecTV.

The only way to see something "live" is to be there in person. Anything that's broadcast is delayed slightly behind the actual event in real time, although it may seem imperceptable in most cases.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:46 AM   #62
Dan203
Super Moderator

I believe they now requir a 7 second delay on all "live" broadcasts after the Janet Jackson nip slip at the Superbowl.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #63
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I believe they now requir a 7 second delay on all "live" broadcasts after the Janet Jackson nip slip at the Superbowl.

Dan
You are correct on the Jackson time delay, my definition of watching live TV is when you are watching a program with no possibility of (you) moving the program forward in time, even if the program has been prerecorded like most non sports program are. Any other definition of watching Live TV becomes impossible, so if you are watching at the end of the TiVo buffer it is live, if you pause for any amount of time than it is not live unless you forward to the end of the TiVo buffer. With any other definition one will get into the impossible question, if watching a TV program the next day is not live, what time delay will make it live, 0.1 sec, 0.0000001 sec, again I am not talking about any time delay imposed on you by your equipment, the networks, etc, just if you can move the program forward yourself, it is not live TV.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #64
Qwertinsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah30k View Post
They think people who watch live don't deserve to have a TiVo.
As we say in our house "Live TV is for saps".
Qwertinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #65
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Until a big news or weather event comes on...
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #66
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Until a big news or weather event comes on...
Then most times it's still recorded to avoid commercials and I'll also get quicker, up to date, information from online.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #67
Bigg

I watch sports, so I have to watch live TV then, and news every day live, that could be timeshifted a bit, but it gets stale more than a few hours after, or maybe a day or two for talk shows.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:24 AM   #68
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Then most times it's still recorded to avoid commercials and I'll also get quicker, up to date, information from online.
Not for a local tornado outbreak you won't.

Look I get it live TV is *usually* for saps. But not always.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote