TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #1
buscuitboy

Question Is Netflix available on TiVo Mini?

OK, I am seeing all kinds of ads for this TiVo mini and they state it allows you to access internet content including Hulu, Pandora, Spotify, Youtube and more. However, in several online areas, I see NO mention of it allowing access to Netflix.

I'm a little concerned that this feature has been left out of the mini. I would think if its included, it would be a HUGE selling point and they would definitely include it in the descriptions. Can anyone confirm if the mini has Netflix access or not?
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

I posted this in another thread. I sent an email to Tom Rogers (TiVo CEO) and Reed Hastings (CEO of Netflix) about this. I received a phone call from TiVo's executive relations team yesterday. I was told that they are working on putting Netflix on the Mini's, but they wanted to go ahead and release the Mini so people could enjoy it. He hesitated to give a time frame in his voicemail, but eventually said it should be within the year.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
jjd_87

You can't be serious? Take a look at any of the other threads talking about the Mini, or any of the multiple different reviews.

No Netflix as of right now. Maybe later if your good and eat all your veggies.
jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
buscuitboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd_87 View Post
You can't be serious? Take a look at any of the other threads talking about the Mini, or any of the multiple different reviews.

No Netflix as of right now. Maybe later if your good and eat all your veggies.
I have better things to do with my time & this is MUCH easier than searching other threads. INSTANT answer

Thanks for the info and looks like its another strike against the mini (for now)....
Old 03-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
Digital Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
I posted this in another thread. I sent an email to Tom Rogers (TiVo CEO) and Reed Hastings (CEO of Netflix) about this. I received a phone call from TiVo's executive relations team yesterday. I was told that they are working on putting Netflix on the Mini's, but they wanted to go ahead and release the Mini so people could enjoy it. He hesitated to give a time frame in his voicemail, but eventually said it should be within the year.
This is great news. This is the first confirmation we've had that Tivo does intend to eventually add Netflix to the Mini.

DM
Digital Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Man View Post
This is great news. This is the first confirmation we've had that Tivo does intend to eventually add Netflix to the Mini.

DM
But they also intend to have all HD menus. Three years later and we are still waiting. Hopefully Netflix doesn't take that long.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

But they also intend to have all HD menus. Three years later and we are still waiting. Hopefully Netflix doesn't take that long.
+1 where are we with the HD menus and the different settings for each family member? I think we'll see it on the next product version but not on the Premiere line.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Does the Mini have any SD menus at all? Like settings? Or is it all HDUI?
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
Does the Mini have any SD menus at all? Like settings? Or is it all HDUI?
The settings menus are just like the Premiere. Most of them are SDUI, but some flop back and forth between SDUI and HDUI.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Thanks.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Just picked up a mini yesterday... and re-subscribed to Netflix... this explains why no mention of Netflix on the mini box. Bummer. Spent most of the day just trying to get Netflix running on my other TiVos (v301 error) and now find out I wasted my time since I can't watch on my mini anyway.

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherA View Post
Just picked up a mini yesterday... and re-subscribed to Netflix... this explains why no mention of Netflix on the mini box. Bummer. Spent most of the day just trying to get Netflix running on my other TiVos (v301 error) and now find out I wasted my time since I can't watch on my mini anyway.
FYI, for solving the v301 error on other boxes I recently found a better workaround than rebooting the box is simply resetting network by renewing DHCP lease (if you use DHCP):
Settings-Network-Change network Settings-Get automatically from DHCP server

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
FYI, for solving the v301 error on other boxes I recently found a better workaround than rebooting the box is simply resetting network by renewing DHCP lease (if you use DHCP):
Interesting. Does using a static IP eliminate the problem then?
Old 05-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #14
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Interesting. Does using a static IP eliminate the problem then?
No I don't think so. I have MAC reservations set for my router so renewing DHCP doesn't assign a new IP - it always gets same IP. But for some reason just resetting the network seems to do the trick. There must be some kind of network caching the series 4 TiVos are doing that a network reset clears (and obviously a full reboot resets as well). My guess is unplugging the ethernet cable for a few seconds would also fix things. It's a TiVo bug, but at least there's a better workaround than a full reboot.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #15
gweempose

Quote:
Thanks for the tip! It's a very frustrating error, and it takes forever to reboot the TiVo.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
No I don't think so. I have MAC reservations set for my router so renewing DHCP doesn't assign a new IP - it always gets same IP. But for some reason just resetting the network seems to do the trick. There must be some kind of network caching the series 4 TiVos are doing that a network reset clears (and obviously a full reboot resets as well). My guess is unplugging the ethernet cable for a few seconds would also fix things. It's a TiVo bug, but at least there's a better workaround than a full reboot.
Hmmm... Seems TiVo should be able to detect this error and reset the NIC automatically. Or at the very least throw up a screen with the option to reset the NIC and try again.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #17
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

My error seems to have resolved itself overnight. All I did was de-authorize everything on Netflix's end and the next morning it was working on all my boxes.

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
Old 06-26-2013, 06:01 AM   #18
hotzorro

This really sux....where is NetFlix on the Mini? Went to set it up for my kids yesterday and was really disappointed....
hotzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #19
aaronwt
HD Addict

Where did you hear that Netflix was on the Mini?

Last edited by aaronwt : 06-27-2013 at 01:38 PM. Reason: removed "Sent from my HTC ReZound using Forum Runner "
Old 06-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #20
Dan203
Super Moderator

He probably just assumed, like most people. TiVo has Netflix on the main DVR so it makes no sense why it's not on the Mini. All the other apps on the main DVR are on the Mini, Netflix is the only exception.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #21
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
He probably just assumed, like most people. TiVo has Netflix on the main DVR so it makes no sense why it's not on the Mini. All the other apps on the main DVR are on the Mini, Netflix is the only exception.
The box omits saying anything about Netflix and then says to check www.tivo.com/mini for a current list of broadband content available.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #22
buscuitboy

yea, once they get Netflix and dynamic tuning options available on the mini, I am on board with it. Until then, I'm just going to keep using my older Series 3s instead. I am assuming and hoping both of these issues will be worked out by the time TiVo introduces their next line of DVRs (Series 5) sometime hopefully in the fall.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #23
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The box omits saying anything about Netflix and then says to check www.tivo.com/mini for a current list of broadband content available.
I know they don't advertise it, but it's still a reasonable assumption since it's available on the main TiVo DVR.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:36 AM   #24
Rose4uKY

I was told today that Netflix is coming to the mini but I wasn't given a time frame. Trying to decide if I should sell my series 3 and get a new premiere with minis or not. I am moving and my boyfriend kind of wants to try Dish the Hopper with it's Joey's which is similar to Tivo and the minis. Our cable company insight just got bought out by time warner and were not real happy. Wish I could talk to someone who had Dish and this setup to see which they liked better. Today Tivo told me during July you get free Mocha with the premiere and that the mini's have mocha built in. I need to read up on it and see exactly what all it does.

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.
Rose4uKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #25
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose4uKY View Post
I was told today that Netflix is coming to the mini but I wasn't given a time frame. Trying to decide if I should sell my series 3 and get a new premiere with minis or not. I am moving and my boyfriend kind of wants to try Dish the Hopper with it's Joey's which is similar to Tivo and the minis. Our cable company insight just got bought out by time warner and were not real happy. Wish I could talk to someone who had Dish and this setup to see which they liked better. Today Tivo told me during July you get free Mocha with the premiere and that the mini's have mocha built in. I need to read up on it and see exactly what all it does.

If you do end up trying out DISH with the Hopper and Joeys and slingbox, let us know how you like it. DISH seems to be leading the way with their offering.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #26
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose4uKY View Post
I'd be hard-pressed to recommend buying a Premiere at this point as signs point to new Series 5 hardware in the Sept/Oct window, unless you HAVE to get something sooner. The new Tivos will almost definitely have moca built-in too.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #27
ph3nom
dq

Just placed an order for 2 mini's, assuming netflix was available. Good to know, tho I'm going ahead with it. I have 2 Roku XD boxes I've been using for a couple years for netflix and Amazon Prime. I'll keep those around til the mini supports them.
ph3nom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #28
Dan203
Super Moderator

Rumor has it Netflix for the Mini will be released soon. Here's hoping the rumor is true.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:10 AM   #29
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
Rumor has it Netflix for the Mini will be released soon. Here's hoping the rumor is true.
I can almost never get Netflix to work on my Premiere boxes without issues. If it's released for the mini I hope it's stored and run from the mini as opposed to accessing it from the Premiere.

Retired
Old 08-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #30
Rose4uKY

My boyfriend said he got Netflix to work on the mini he hooked up yesterday in our bedroom. He had to log in even though he was logged in on the Premiere box. But when were in the Living Room he has a Roku and likes using Netflix on the Roku. But somehow he said it worked on the mini for him so I was assuming an update came out I don't know. But I love the premiere it's nice and the mini's are cool too. Glad we didn't do Dish with the Joey's and Hoppers now and glad we stuck with Tivo.

[quote=HeatherA;9755894]I can almost never get Netflix to work on my Premiere boxes without issues. If it's released for the mini I hope it's stored and run from the mini as opposed to accessing it from the Premiere
QUOTE]

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.
Rose4uKY is offline   Reply With Quote